Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Maybe Peter Davison, he had cricket superpowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

but McCoy was when they started doing the Doctor-as-Super-Batman thing well.

I only think that really comes over in, what, four or five stories total? (Remembrance, Silver Nemesis, some or all of the Ace trilogy)

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I only think that really comes over in, what, four or five stories total? (Remembrance, Silver Nemesis, some or all of the Ace trilogy)

I think it shows up a bit in New Adventure stuff? Though there he's more like Batman at his most dickish. Or maybe fandom Reed Richards.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh right, new Who has started.

Totally New York you guys.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'd say it's more the New Adventures that really start that kick, because very few books are written without internal monologues and the NA had them for just about every character except the Doctor because it would spoil the story to know what he was thinking. That rather artificially - and accidentally - promotes the Doctor a stage further still than in the McCoy years proper

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Murray Gold's whimsical 'wacky stuff is happening' music can go die in a fire.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I missed the first ten mins. Anything happen?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I missed the first ten mins. Anything happen?

Small boy swallowed an alien crystal the Doctor gave him to hold and it made him fly. Then we saw him all grown up with a baby.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Uh, there was clearly a man about to die in there, Doctor. You could hear him. Why did you just let him die?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Christ this is dull

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Its not great so far

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

This definitely feels like a half-remembered first draft of some pilot Moffat wrote in the 90s which just happens to have Peter Capaldi standing in the back of the shots.

Edit: Didn't they do the whole 'head splitting open down a diagonal' scare-the-kiddies thing last year?

Matinee fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 25, 2016

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, as episodes of Doctor Who go, this one is just kind of there. As Xmas episodes go, its actually suprisingly mediocre, as usually they are either really good or absolutely dire.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Diary of River Song 2 is out early on download for the first day of Big Finishmas.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, next season looks decent at least.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
They said the name of the show!!!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed the episode. I don't know if I'll remember much of it this time tomorrow but it engaged me for an hour on Christmas and that's all it really has to do for me to be content. I liked Nardole in it despite not having liked him in "The Husbands of River Song".

Granted, a lot of it felt a bit like Steven Moffat saying, "Please give me an American show in 2019, the CW!"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I kind of liked it, even if it was kind of hokey. The guy who played Grant seemed to get the Silver Age cheesiness down pat without it turning into parody.

Edit: Although did they explain how the TARDIS was able to get back to New York? I thought it was inaccessible due to weird time poo poo ever since Angels in Manhattan.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I enjoyed that. I take it the brain things will be back next series given the ending.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of liked it, even if it was kind of hokey. The guy who played Grant seemed to get the Silver Age cheesiness down pat without it turning into parody.

Fun fact: he played Goku in Dragonball Evolution.

quote:

Edit: Although did they explain how the TARDIS was able to get back to New York? I thought it was inaccessible due to weird time poo poo ever since Angels in Manhattan.

Only as long as Amy and Rory were living there, I think.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Honestly I've not actually watched much (if any?) Who this year so maybe I was just enjoying seeing the show again in general but I enjoyed it. Some of it was a bit rehashed (diagonal head aliens, the River Song Blues), and does rely on you remembering the last episode from an exact year ago (so it'll be doing better than Sherlock then) but I liked the Silver Age tone to the whole thing. It was some fun and was definitely the freshest a Moffat script has seemed to me in ages. 12 does seem to be making more of a point of saying he's a crazy oddball though, that could grate a bit if they make it too much of a thing in the next series.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Diary of River Song 2 is out early on download for the first day of Big Finishmas.

Well I know what I'm listening to as soon as I finish my annual re-listen of Chimes of Midnight

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The episode was a lot of fun, but I think that I think that because of Doctor Who withdrawal. It probably wasn't worth a year's wait, but at least there's only a few months until the next series!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I haven't seen a single trailer for the special that looked interesting so these posts are worrying. I might need to be incredibly drunk.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

In a strange intersection of the personal and Doctor Who, an ex is now dating the director of Let's Kill Hitler

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Not because of that, let it be clear.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not because of that, let it be clear.

Frankly, I'd take that as a point against dating them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I enjoyed it idgaf

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In a strange intersection of the personal and Doctor Who, an ex is now dating the director of Let's Kill Hitler

I only came to this thread to see wtf happened in the special but this post has made my goddamn year

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Special feels a lot like Moffat fan-ficced the Doctor into the Richard Donner Superman movie. Like, he must have watched that film like 30 times while writing this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

Special feels a lot like Moffat fan-ficced the Doctor into the Richard Donner Superman movie. Like, he must have watched that film like 30 times while writing this.

You just promised me more than you loving know and ruined the entire thing

Now I'm never going to enjoy what's actually there

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Some friends and I sat around to watch the BBC Doctor Who Christmas Special and we sadly agreed it was loving awful. For huge fans of the show we found it painful to watch.

Kind of hoping that having Matt Lucus around for 2017 will lead to some great moments ala Catherine Tate.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I thought it was a lot of goofy fun. :shrug:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

You just promised me more than you loving know and ruined the entire thing

Now I'm never going to enjoy what's actually there

I mean it fairly literally. There's big swathes lifted straight from the movie wholesale.

Also, not sure Moffat's quite gotten the message about where the line between sweet unrequited love and creeper behaviour is.

Trailer had Twelve's shades and hoodie, but no guitar, so only 66% hype.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

Kind of hoping that having Matt Lucus around for 2017 will lead to some great moments ala Catherine Tate.

Wait is he actually gonna be a companion?? Someone elaborate on this please

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Wait is he actually gonna be a companion?? Someone elaborate on this please

Yes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The season 10 trailer has a brief glimpse of Movellans!

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I got some of the Target novelisations as a surprise in my Christmas presents. Not sure whether I should look forward to reading my books or to feel bad about making them become well-worn as they seem to be in really good nick. Always been a bit peturbed by things like that, even though it's a silly feeling.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think I hated every minute of that.

Why would you rip off Donner Superman and then do it in the worst way possible.

The movie is a piece of art when it comes to the bullshit sessions between Lois and Clark and this just...wow did not deserve any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The fact that the whole point was "grow up and stop being a superhero" is basically why. Moffat likely doesn't LIKE superheroes, but knows they're popular, even though the Doctor, as noted in the episode, pretty much IS one. Donner wasn't a fan either, but he got the appeal.

Edit: Also not quite getting what the point of the scene with the Doctor at the school was, beyond setting up the 'he floats when he's horny' gag that wasn't that funny and kinda spoiled a possibly romantic scene.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 26, 2016

• Locked thread