Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Plus she's smoking hot and she has a sexy Icelandic accent

This is the important part. Fran owns.

Also so does Lulu who the hell doesn't like her from FFX?

e: and yeah I don't mind drawing magic but the spell creation process in FFXV sucks. It's just goddamn tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just hit Chapter 11, I think it will be worth it if this bit ends with Noctis confronting Ardyn about being responsible for making Prompto disappear and Ardyn is all like, "Ardyn do this...you did."

I'm sorry.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Renoistic posted:

I still can't get over the NPC that yells "I COULD EAT A HORSE". Horses don't exist in the FF verse!

Horses do exist, they just tend to not be common in the area players are in. In FFXIV, unicorns are more common than horses in eorzea, with one npc going "Horse!? Isn't that just a hornless unicorn!?" or something like that. Foreigners from other lands call chocobos, "horse birds" etc

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

This is the important part. Fran owns.

Also so does Lulu who the hell doesn't like her from FFX?

e: and yeah I don't mind drawing magic but the spell creation process in FFXV sucks. It's just goddamn tedious.

It's really just a shittier version of the junction system. I just bought the X/X-2 remaster in the Steam sale so I need to see how that holds up because I really liked FFX when I was like 14. I never got more than maybe ten hours into XII because I loving hated most of the characters and the combat felt like a lovely version of XI.

I hate the mouth movements in XV as a side note, but it also says a lot that I played it to completion when I couldn't do the same for XII/XIII

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I wasn't sure how far in the story I was but the game took a sharp turn into poo poo land and I was hating every loving second so I said fuckit and saved.

I was I chapter 13.

You were right. You were all so right.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm pretty sure the inn keeper in Lestallum is voiced by Caius from FFXIII-2.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I wasn't sure how far in the story I was but the game took a sharp turn into poo poo land and I was hating every loving second so I said fuckit and saved.

I was I chapter 13.

You were right. You were all so right.

If it's any consolation, the chapter has a killer boss fight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

If it's any consolation, the chapter has a killer boss fight.

It kinda sucks, honestly, even if you know how to dodge its instant-kill.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kenny is the secret evil that must be purged from the land for all eternity.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The music is really good though

idk I rather enjoyed the chapter 13 boss fight. And chapter 13 in general. It would work really nicely as a sort of rock bottom moment that the world and everybody else eventually surges back from but nope, you get an ~arty~ sad ending where everybody dies. And the squad doesn't even get an on-screen death. Too bad, so sad. I mean the world is saved I guess but whatever.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

WaltherFeng posted:

Liam O'Brien? Yeah I thought that too. Way too cool a voice for a random innkeeper to have.

e:

Sapozhnik posted:

The music is really good though

idk I rather enjoyed the chapter 13 boss fight. And chapter 13 in general. It would work really nicely as a sort of rock bottom moment that the world and everybody else eventually surges back from but nope, you get an ~arty~ sad ending where everybody dies. And the squad doesn't even get an on-screen death. Too bad, so sad. I mean the world is saved I guess but whatever.

I liked chapter 13 until the warehouse. It picked up near the end but yeesh.

Isn't it ambiguous if they died or not? Also I don't think the ending is sad at all, Noctis resolutely faces his death as a king and gets to chill with Luna in the afterlife.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 25, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The GIG posted:

Most of the time it doesn't matter because the difference in animation is like fractions of a second. At best it will save you a whopping few minutes on one of the superbosses.

Oh I wasn't referring to the animations. The actual stats make it so that almost every character in FF12 starts with a non optimal weapon for their "type". Granted the difference is small but Baltheirs stats are such that guns are the worst weapon he can use.

E: IIRC Fran's worst weapon is bows too. Lol.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 25, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

That's Liam O'Brian and I've noticed him doing a few of the minor voices in the game.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

Oh I wasn't referring to the animations. The actual stats make it so that almost every character in FF12 starts with a non optimal weapon for their "type". Granted the difference is small but Baltheirs stats are such that guns are the worst weapon he can use.

It's not only about their Stats, its about their attack animation cycles as well. Some characters have giant downtimes in their animations, thus making them attack less often than other characters with the same gun. It's stupid.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's not only about their Stats, its about their attack animation cycles as well. Some characters have giant downtimes in their animations, thus making them attack less often than other characters with the same gun. It's stupid.

Wow. I never noticed that part. I just remember reading a guide years ago outlining how the stat that matters most with guns makes Baltheir terrible with them. :xd: I really wasn't taking the animation argument seriously. Wow. :stare:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Genocyber posted:

That's Liam O'Brian and I've noticed him doing a few of the minor voices in the game.

Liam is Additional Voices: The Man. I swear there's at least half a dozen characters voiced by him in XV alone.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

Wow. I never noticed that part. I just remember reading a guide years ago outlining how the stat that matters most with guns makes Baltheir terrible with them. :xd: I really wasn't taking the animation argument seriously. Wow. :stare:

Ironically, Balthier is super slow with guns, as is Fran with Bows.Both attack faster with melee weapons.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

JetsGuy posted:

On that note, damage calculations are super weird in XII, so for example Katanas use magic and strength, and Axes use exclusively vitality.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ROFL Octopus posted:

On that note, damage calculations are super weird in XII, so for example Katanas use magic and strength, and Axes use exclusively vitality.

I was just about to post that I remembered that Baschs worst weapon type are axes (also hilarious) because his VIT is total poo poo

Yeah I don't remember any of the "best" weapons for any of them but it was certainly that all the default weapon types were wrong in FF12.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

JetsGuy posted:

I was just about to post that I remembered that Baschs worst weapon type are axes (also hilarious) because his VIT is total poo poo

Yeah I don't remember any of the "best" weapons for any of them but it was certainly that all the default weapon types were wrong in FF12.

The only constant is that Vaan is the best at everything.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

and Balthier and Fran have the lowest stats of them all.

Ashe is good with Katanas, especially in the IZJS.

The game was weird.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

12-15 have all suffered from incredible production issues, in many ways 12 was as much a mess as 15.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ROFL Octopus posted:

The only constant is that Vaan is the best at everything.

That and summons are almost completely useless. But you're damned right I'm going to hunt down every last one including that ridiculous one hidden in the great crystal and was a tough battle even at 99. I think i beat that one via using the "reverse" strategy so that the non-stop sap actually healed you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Kenny is the secret evil that must be purged from the land for all eternity.

Kenny is the shop keeper from RE4. What do you need stranger? Eh he he he

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 25, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Chapter 13 is a bad version of like the 3rd tower of salvation visit in Tales of Symphonia, (the time where everyone "dies" and zelos saves them all. also if you killed zelos you are a piece of trash and missed out on the best character for the human version of shadow the hedgehog

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Please don't tell me that there's a hunt stronger than Ayakashi. Jesus that thing was tough, even with everyone at level 99.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

He's the real villain in this game too, and he will succeed again.

just wait on the dlc.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

Please don't tell me that there's a hunt stronger than Ayakashi. Jesus that thing was tough, even with everyone at level 99.

I didn't know until i wikied what that was, but apparently fighting them at the last possible part of night so that it goes into day makes it so that they constantly lose HP from daylight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well, I finished it. The game to me is pretty much the opposite of FF13 where I hated the beginning and loved the end.

Here I loving LOVED the first half or so. Then the story just goes on-rails and doesn't stop until the end. You can use Umbra to go back and clear poo poo but I found that to be jarring. I don't think everything past 13 makes up for 13 but it was a good ending.

At least I'm now back in the open goodness of clearing side quests and leveling up.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That was my favorite scene when I first saw it because I saw four bad dudes and the emperor and immediately assumed each of them would be a boss fight, which is cool because I really like it when a game kind of introduces its bosses to you so you can anticipate facing them later, it's pretty basic in RPGs and I was glad to see that something that fundamental had returned to FFXV after how faceless and vague the antagonists in 13 were (and how you get cockblocked on boss fights with most of the ones you actually meet!).

Once I beat the game I was deeply confused, because I didn't remember having those boss fights I expected. I discovered later that apparently I killed most of those dudes in mecha battles, without ever realizing who I was fighting.

A swing and a miss.

Yeah, that's definitely a distinct kind of scene, and it's great when it's done well.

This is the best example of that "meet the baddies" scene I can think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B91BImdQmzA

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol I'm having the opposite problem with summons that everybody else has

Any time a fight goes on for more than 30 seconds, the moment Noct gets Dangered I immediately get a summon prompt. I'm just like "bro, chill for a second I got this". Unless it's Magitek Assassins; I'm not wasting precious Blizzagas on those guys.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there any point to the type F outside of making re-load the game every 30 seconds?

loving street lights

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there any point to the type F outside of making re-load the game every 30 seconds?

loving street lights

Try landing on the isolated yellow (landing) strip near Ravatogh

:twisted:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The type-F really isn't that bad once you get used to it. Decelerate and descend until you get the land prompt(don't go lower than this), then wait for a good opportunity and set it down. As far as I can tell you can't land too hard, you just need to avoid crashing. Also don't fly at night.

Despite this I still recommend saving before you fly.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

So is New Game+ something you can keep doing over and over, or does it have weird restrictions like FF4 DS where you can only do it max 2 times or whatever?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I haven't read anything about a limit, so if you want to keep doing NG+ to get multiple Adamantite bangles or endgame weapons you can. The game probably isn't very long if you rush through the main quests, especially since everything stays the same level.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RatHat posted:

I haven't read anything about a limit, so if you want to keep doing NG+ to get multiple Adamantite bangles or endgame weapons you can. The game probably isn't very long if you rush through the main quests, especially since everything stays the same level.

Every new game+ should double the level cap and scale the enemies. That's not even a difficult thing to do programmatically. :colbert:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

Every new game+ should double the level cap and scale the enemies. That's not even a difficult thing to do programmatically. :colbert:

Since levels barely effect your stats in this game it would just create enemies that went up in levels exponentially that are miserable to fight.

Like 100K health goblins while you're dealing 9999 a hit because yo still don't have enough AP for breaking damage limits.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So. Finished Pitioss Dungeon.

I don't like this place, but I can respect it. It kind of feels like it was never intended for the player to see - like it was the product of some long weekend where the fried developers stopped programming hunts and recipes for a minute and took some time to gently caress around with the game's physics as much as possible. I'd really like to see a screenshot or six of the entire dungeon lit up, because the geometry of that place was nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SectumSempra posted:

Since levels barely effect your stats in this game it would just create enemies that went up in levels exponentially that are miserable to fight.

Like 100K health goblins while you're dealing 9999 a hit because yo still don't have enough AP for breaking damage limits.

They should double the limit of the damage you can do as well then. :colbert:

Give me Final Fantasy Dark Souls :argh:

• Locked thread