Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh and hope you like star wars because it has infested EVERYTHING at the parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Empress Brosephine posted:

4. Hoop Dee Due was amazing, and so was Ft Wilderness. I listened to a episode of braks girl podcast where I think she said how great it was (or someone else did on the show sorry braks) and i was like "uh huh just a bunch of southerners whove never seen a real campground before" but no, once you go there it is like youre transported to a entirely different world. It was really neat and I say that as someone who lives in the middle of a national forest. It absolutely is my next destination to stay at on disney especially as i'll soon be a local.

thats more but the more i go on the more it sounds like complaining lol. but we had fun especially at Hoop Dee due. That was the highlight of our trip. Thanks for all the hlep braksgirl!

You're welcome, and let me just say re: Hoop De Doo....I enjoy being right. ;) Ft. Wilderness is a lovely resort but wildly inconvenient.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I think Hoop De Doo was the first thing out of all my trips that felt like what I always dreamed Disney was like; being treated like a king and like everyones equal and all in good nature. Granted it comes at a steep price but I can't reccomend it enough and wish i did it on my very first trip.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Today I switched our March reservation from Saratoga Springs to Animal Kingdom because we've never stayed there and I personally wanted something different. So, 6 nights savanna view it is. Also made a reservation at Boma. Now, I can't decide if I want to cancel our O'hana reservation and try Jiko, even though Jiko will be close to double the price.

We have never even seen AKL, so this will be pretty exciting. Especially since my wife and son have no idea I changed resorts.

So, O'hana or Jiko?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
O'hana and Tiffins over Boma and Jikos IMO, and it's not even close. Good choice on AK Lodge, you're going to be blown away.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah a bit of horrifying tidbit, I was in line for Splash mountain when two overweight people got on board. They didn't pull the bar down at all and the ride OP sent the log moving along. Another ride op noticed and flipped the gently caress out at her co worker and he ended up quickly leaving the controls after yelling at her. They didn't stop the ride or anything :iiam:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

5. I really came to enjoy some of the rides I absolutely hated my past two trips including Journey into Imagination (which is why I wouldn't shut up about it the past few posts), and Epcot as a whole. before I was always "eh" on Epcot because of the drunks but it was a bit more enjoyable this time.

Fun fact: my fiancee had no idea until this year's Flower & Garden Festival that Epcot had stuff inside the pavilions. She had only been once before with an ex-boyfriend and they didn't really do anything outside of Future World. She flipped her poo poo when she went inside Mexico.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow. I could see the other way since Future World is like half empty buildings now. Must've been a nice treat for her!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also am I crazy or did there used to be a centurion infront of the burning rome scene in Spaceship Earth? Wasn't anything there this time just the city burning

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also am I crazy or did there used to be a centurion infront of the burning rome scene in Spaceship Earth? Wasn't anything there this time just the city burning

Nope, it was always just the burnt ruins. The centurion and I think senator (some dude in a toga, whatever) were in the room before it. They did get rid of the old animation of a chariot riding off in the distance though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Still had that fantastic smokey smell by the burning city scene though. That's my favorite part of the ride.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Still had that fantastic smokey smell by the burning city scene though. That's my favorite part of the ride.

Though it does mean that every time I smell something burning, I think "drat, Rome's on fire again."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

There's an Etsy shop that makes Disney parks candles and one of their scents is the Rome scene from Spaceship Earth. So cool.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/262098566/fall-of-rome-candles-with-character-soy?ref=unav_listing-other

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

There's an Etsy shop that makes Disney parks candles and one of their scents is the Rome scene from Spaceship Earth. So cool.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/262098566/fall-of-rome-candles-with-character-soy?ref=unav_listing-other

Why didn't you make me aware of this with a reasonable amount of time to get it shipped for Christmas.

Successful Student
Jan 29, 2009
How far out is too far out to start the planning/booking process, generally speaking? I'm thinking about arranging a Food and Wine Festival trip in 2018 and I'd like to start hammering out the details as early as possible.

On a related note, is it generally better go in September or November for Food and Wine?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Successful Student posted:

On a related note, is it generally better go in September or November for Food and Wine?
Crowd-wise, at least a week after Labor Day and at least a week before Thanksgiving should be fine.

The weather will be better in November. It's usually still warm enough for short sleeves, and sometimes shorts. Even late September is often brutally hot, and much rainier, too.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Successful Student posted:

How far out is too far out to start the planning/booking process, generally speaking? I'm thinking about arranging a Food and Wine Festival trip in 2018 and I'd like to start hammering out the details as early as possible.

You can book a room 500 days out or something like that. Packages for the following year usually get released in mid-summer (late June/early July?) so in terms of booking you're likely looking at spring/summer next year depending on whether you want a room or a package (or want to book room only and then turn it into a package when they become available).

In terms of actual planning though, you can do that now. You can look at resorts, figure out rough budget based on 2017 costs. Rough out itineraries etc. You can look at things going on during that period that are likely to happen again (Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party for Sept/Oct, Christmas Party for Nov) to see if there's things you'd like to do (and budget accordingly). Look at historical promo dates to get a rough idea of when it may be cheaper to go. All that kind of research can be done now.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

You can book up to 499 days out, but generally, it's best to book as soon as you know what you want and you have a $200 deposit. Lock everything in because sometimes if you want a specific room type at a specific resort, you might miss out. Like Pop Century, for instance, is one of the most popular Value resorts, so if you want it, you better grab it.

Disney has a very generous plan in that you just pay your deposit up front and there is no other money due until 30 days before check in. In the meantime, you can make as many changes to your reservation as you like without penalty. Everything is also fully refundable up until that 30 day mark.

For what it's worth, booking with a travel agent (whether it's me or someone else) is a good idea. We are able to add discounts if they come up after you've already booked, plus we can do as much or as little of the planning as you like.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think i asked already but cna you book ap discount rooms braks

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

i think i asked already but cna you book ap discount rooms braks

Yep!

I did want to mention that our Dole Whipped podcast episode this week is really fantastic. We had RJ and Suzanne Ogren on the show. They used to work at MK back in the 70s right after opening. RJ was an artist and worked on lots of the classic attractions and Suzanne did character work, though her most common was Sleepy the Dwarf. They had some pretty fantastic stories about working with some of the the Nine Old Men and such. It's a pretty great listen if you're a Disney nerd.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 21, 2016

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Oh yeah a bit of horrifying tidbit, I was in line for Splash mountain when two overweight people got on board. They didn't pull the bar down at all and the ride OP sent the log moving along. Another ride op noticed and flipped the gently caress out at her co worker and he ended up quickly leaving the controls after yelling at her. They didn't stop the ride or anything :iiam:

The lap bar is a recent addition and serves mainly to stop idiots from jumping out. It's not needed to keep you inside the log provided you don't try to get out.

They got added after that dude jumped out and fell in the flume and got killed.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat i bet that ride was even greater without a lapbar

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I remember riding it when I was about 10 years old and freaking out over floating out of my seat with no belt/bar. It was awesome.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I've heard terrifying stories from Tower of Terror back in the day, when the whole row had the same lap bar and not individual seatbelts.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cais posted:

I've heard terrifying stories from Tower of Terror back in the day, when the whole row had the same lap bar and not individual seatbelts.

I rode this version and yes it was insane because you could have someone with a huge gut set the bar for a 6 year old. It was super loving fun though as a 14 year old.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Cais posted:

Rode Tower of Terror a few months after it opened in 1994 when I was 9 (last time I was at Disney World which is why I want to go back bad). Yup, sat next to my dad who is a bigger guy and I literally had to hold myself in by pushing down on the lapbar as we went up and down.

It was awesome.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Anybody want to help me set up a rough itinerary (at least Parks) for my trip at the end of January? We're going from Saturday (landing in Orlando at like 2PM) through the next Saturday (probably not doing anything there that day, just checking out and leaving), and we have 5 park hopper passes for the time. Also need to go to Universal at some point to see Harry Potter stuff.

So if you had 6.5 days, how would you split your time?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Do you want to do meals at the parks or at the resorts? Do you want to do any water parks (one will be open but not both). Do you want to do Disney Springs? Do you want to go explore the other resorts as well? Will you have a car?

I would try to do half days at the parks, if you want to do 1-2 days at Universal, since you've got park hoppers. That way you can do big chunks of things if you get there at rope drop, and then have decompression time. That's one of my favorite things to do, but I also love traveling by all the different modes of transport as well.

Do you have some main things that you want to accomplish at each park, or just go and soak up the atmosphere? I've never been to Universal, but I know you need the park hopper version for them if you want to see both Harry Potter parks.

I would also look up what the open/close times are at each park. I really like using TouringPlans site that, and a $7 subscription for a year is well worth it. I don't use the touring plans themselves, but the information on their site for everything is incredible useful and so is their app when you are there onsite.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Last night, I had a dream that my husband and I got married at Disney World. We already got married in 2014 and I feel like the wedding we had was pretty drat perfect, but then I started thinking it might not be a bad way to celebrate a tenth wedding anniversary.

Disney World 2024! :sparkles:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cheese Pain posted:

Disney World 2024! :sparkles:

Enjoy! assuming it's not under water

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Awesome snorkeling trip 2024? :confuoot:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
We just brought our 2 kids to Disney World for the first time.

My daughter is 3 and really was into meeting the princesses. We were in line for the Fairy Godmother™, but about 5 minutes before the front of the line there was a shift change and it was now for the Wicked Stepsisters, which was disappointing.

And wow, was I wrong.

They were the best characters we met. They completely ham up the self-centered act and are a lot of fun. If you're doing the rounds of characters around Magic Kingdom, stop to see them. The line is short compared to every other character.

Also maybe worth adding to the OP: The Disability Access Pass ("DAS Pass"). It's not for people in wheelchairs (who get the same benefit without having to register with Guest Services). It's for "guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities)." They don't say "autism", but they're talking about autism. It allows you to wait in line (when you don't have a FastPass reservation) without having to physically wait in the line.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I always appreciate the face actors that stick with character like that. It's pretty well known the Gaston CM tends to be fantastic as well.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I ran into the step sisters on this go around but didn't get in line. I watched them though, they were definitely hilarious. Cinderella promised me new shoes via Fairy Godmother for my birthday, she was excellent.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT-mekafNiw

merry christmas goons

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
79F today.. just another beautiful day in paradise.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Merry Festivus... Happy Spaghetti Monster Awareness.. and anyone else I may have forgotten.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well, wife surprised me with a 3 day Disney cruise to go with our trip in March. Even more pumped now.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSOqWtLix4

actual ride footage of avatar about 1 minute in!!!

maybe they will hit that open date afterall

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

couldcareless posted:

Well, wife surprised me with a 3 day Disney cruise to go with our trip in March. Even more pumped now.

Yay!

My gf started bawling when she found out about our upcoming trip I got her for Christmas. Thanks again Braksgirl for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSOqWtLix4

actual ride footage of avatar about 1 minute in!!!

maybe they will hit that open date afterall

That looked great. And then the animatronic cat lady showed up. :stare: Not so sure anymore.