Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Moffat really should not have tackled this story

I just

This was really not enjoyable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I didn't HATE it, but yeah, you can tell the parts Moff cared about and it wasn't most of the main plot.

In defence, Matt Lucas was very good and Nardole as a snarky manservant who won't put up with Twelve's poo poo is fun.

Edit: "Where'd you get the robes?" "Twelfth century Constantinople. I ruled firmly but wisely. :)"

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 26, 2016

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

That was loving amazing.

Gonna have to redo my top ten list now.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
It was alright post-christmas full up eating shovelling. It was obviously playing with the superman tropes a bit, and having fun at poking fun at itself. The brain guys never really felt like a threat, but then that's a problem with modern who anyway. He tells the bad guys that he's going to win, they act all "who the gently caress are you", we get a giggle because we know who he is, then he wins.

This time he had a superhero on his side so it all seemed even less high stakes.

The Doctor saying how he liked brainiens plans seemed more like moff congratulating himself on screen for his crazy ideas than making their threat seem threatening.

I quite liked the nanny superhero comic pisstake though. The characters were overplayed stereotypes, but done in a deliberately fun way.

Worst episode ever. 8/10

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is though that it really wasn't playing with the media at all

It like, really wasn't

This wasn't satire of Superman, this was some bloke going "here's my lovely rewrite of an excellent scene in cinema that was already pretty loving self aware and far better done and written and directed and acted, pointing out what was already pointed out in that same movie that I am very toothlessly mocking"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the x-ray vision part had a couple of decent lines, but nothing as good as the actual film's take on it. (Helped by the fact that in the movie, Lois invites him to look before he does so, where as Moffat added that flashback scene so we know he's used his powers to see her naked)

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Nah it's just brilliant. Fun.

Nothing wrong with a good old super hero pastiche, you don't have to expect everything to be a self aware satire parody.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

Nah it's just brilliant. Fun.

Nothing wrong with a good old super hero pastiche, you don't have to expect everything to be a self aware satire parody.

Here's the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bb78jAYhcc

That's the problem.

It's a shameless copy of this scene but done worse in every way and not on purpose.

Just, that entire thing is a thing of beauty. This might be my favorite scene in the movie and Moffat didn't do anything with it but copy it with a note of blandness. He didn't go far enough with growly voice to make that funny, he didn't push it further than what this already did

It just exists and is inferior. I'd be just as annoyed if the next Christmas Special recreated the boat scene from Jaws, you know the one, but poorly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Burkion posted:

The thing is though that it really wasn't playing with the media at all

It like, really wasn't

This wasn't satire of Superman, this was some bloke going "here's my lovely rewrite of an excellent scene in cinema that was already pretty loving self aware and far better done and written and directed and acted, pointing out what was already pointed out in that same movie that I am very toothlessly mocking"

I appreciated some of the more intersectional elements -- G-Man being her nanny is clearly a play to the feminist crowds, and one I liked because it shifted the relationship dynamics in odd ways -- and I really liked Justin Chatwin's performance.

I've never liked Justin Chatwin's performance.

What the hell happened to Charity Wakefield's accent, though? She was great in High Moon!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I think the greatest praise and worst criticism of this is "Moffat tries to write like Russell T. Davies", which kinda makes it a decent sendoff.

This would have been a pretty good mid-season episode shaking up the format, but standing alone after a year off the screen it's... different.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Moffat still ran all of next year's episodes though, didn't he? Chibnall isn't in charge until '18?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I was a big fan of that one, actually. I feel like it wasn't a parody or anything, just a superhero story within Doctor Who. Came off a lot like the CW's superhero shows (particularly the Flash, I think), but those shows are good so I'm alright with it. The Ghost himself was pretty fun. I also liked the continuity of the villains being the same secondary foes from the last Christmas special, I feel like they'll probably wind up being the recurring figures of Capaldi Christmas specials. I'm alright with that.

My dad and I were guessing when the Ghost will next be brought up. He thinks it'll be a cameo or reference in the next modern-day America episode a few years down, I think he'll be part of the same laundry list of referenced figures that Torchwood and Sarah-Jane are/were part of in the world-threatening finales.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaz-L posted:

Moffat still ran all of next year's episodes though, didn't he? Chibnall isn't in charge until '18?

Yeah, that's right. Xmas next year will be his send off.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
That ending really seemed like a hook for the next UNIT box set. Glad they're starting to tie in a lot more with the audios. The early release of Diary of River Song Part 2 was probably more exciting for me than her namedrop here.

I did like the meta explanation for why we haven't seen the Doctor in a while.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I wish they gave a more concrete reason for the guy to retire from superheroing at the end, like UNIT trying to catch him or him losing his powers or something. There was some dialogue about him having a rough schedule but there were never any scenes to show that it was a big problem, especially since he no longer has to conceal his double life from his sweetheart/stalkee. I guess maybe he didn't actually give a poo poo about saving anyone and just used it as a vehicle to get the girl? Anyway it'd be nice to have closed it off so there aren't any dumb questions about why an invulnerable superhero can't fix things instead of the doctor, or even worse having this goofy rear end character actually return and do just that

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ah I liked that Christmas Special and I think I'll really enjoy Nardole as Twelves second companion. The two of them have great chemistry.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Really surprised at all of the haters. As Christmas episodes go, it was one of the better ones IMO (though there wasn't much Christmassy about it).'

The Superman pastiches were homages and funny/clever for what they were supposed to be.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
My mom and dad loved this episode, and that's what a Doctor Who Christmas special is all about.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

There was a moment after he caught the spaceship that I thought he was about to dramatically start losing his powers while trying to safely dispose of the ship, because he fumbled and twitched a bit and I thought that was going to lead into the Doctor going "he had to lose them now?" thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This sounds so terrible I don't think I want to watch it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My sister enjoyed the episode, and that's the most important thing with Christmas episodes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well Manicured Man posted:

My mom and dad loved this episode, and that's what a Doctor Who Christmas special is all about.

This guy gets it.

It was light, mostly fun, I enjoyed it, and that was all I was looking for.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I liked that he was doing a bad Batman impression as Superman and a bad Christian Slater as Clark Kent. Was fun enough, thought the River callback at the end was a bit unnecessary, both because it was obvious and didn't need stating out loud and also because it was literally the last thing we saw on Doctor Who before this.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The episode was very slight and inconsequential, but at the end I thought "aww, that was sweet", so I'm counting it as a good 'un. Didn't have much to say about "superheroes" (I don't think Moffat was really trying to take them down or anything- at the end they say they'll keep the costume around) but the characters were engaging enough for me to root for them.

Liked Charity Wakefield as Lucy especially. Had a lot of fun with her character.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Open Source Idiom posted:

I appreciated some of the more intersectional elements -- G-Man being her nanny is clearly a play to the feminist crowds, and one I liked because it shifted the relationship dynamics in odd ways -- and I really liked Justin Chatwin's performance.

I've never liked Justin Chatwin's performance.

What the hell happened to Charity Wakefield's accent, though? She was great in High Moon!

As much as I find Those red pill/PUA gusy annoying they basically took a dude who had super powers and made him a beta.

It really was two episodes smashed together do the whole Doctor makes a super hero and has to deal with or do the whole alien brain suckers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, even the episodes with Me have an overt threat-of-the-week to be dealt with. It possibly could have been integrated better with the superhero stuff (maybe make the brains connected to the crystal somehow), but a superhero does need villains.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Doctor... WHAT?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Doctor... WHAT?

LoL.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The episode was very slight and inconsequential, but at the end I thought "aww, that was sweet", so I'm counting it as a good 'un. Didn't have much to say about "superheroes" (I don't think Moffat was really trying to take them down or anything- at the end they say they'll keep the costume around) but the characters were engaging enough for me to root for them.

For what it's worth, the Doctor Who Extra for this episode went a lot into the superhero side of it, and it's definitely a love letter to the silver age and accompanying live-action stuff, especially (unsurprisingly) the Christopher Reeve Superman movies.

Adorably, this carried over into the actual production. They used Reeve's Superman as reference to how to shoot a lot of the Ghost's scenes and handle a cape, and they figured out how to do the Empire State Building scene in a closed studio by imitating the classic Adam West Batman wall-climbing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Maxwell Lord posted:

Liked Charity Wakefield as Lucy especially. Had a lot of fun with her character.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I landed too. Can't see myself rewatching it but it was the kind of breezy fun that a Christmas episode should be.

Matt Lucas' character was so much less annoying than I was expecting too, which bodes well.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The villains' plot was literally just the Slitheen except for their endgame, right?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dabir posted:

The villains' plot was literally just the Slitheen except for their endgame, right?

Broadly, although the goal for the brains was to infiltrate the governments whereas the Slitheen did it as part of the plan.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Wow, that was just poo poo. You know what scene summed up the problems with this special perfectly for me? In the opening, they actually used a Superman issue from the 80s or 90s, which I thought was a nice touch. Except as it went on, it became pretty clear had no real knowledge or affection for the superhero genre. It was a bit like someone trying to recreate the Donner Superman film based on watered four decades of watered down parodies and homages. Nothing new or interesting, and nothing resembling either competent homage or criticism.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gaz-L posted:

I didn't HATE it, but yeah, you can tell the parts Moff cared about and it wasn't most of the main plot.

In defence, Matt Lucas was very good and Nardole as a snarky manservant who won't put up with Twelve's poo poo is fun.

Edit: "Where'd you get the robes?" "Twelfth century Constantinople. I ruled firmly but wisely. :)"

Matt Lucas was a solid companion, and it was nice having one who could do a bit more independently than just cause trouble and follow along. I'm glad it looks like he'll be in at least some of the next season too.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Wow, that was just poo poo. You know what scene summed up the problems with this special perfectly for me? In the opening, they actually used a Superman issue from the 80s or 90s, which I thought was a nice touch. Except as it went on, it became pretty clear had no real knowledge or affection for the superhero genre. It was a bit like someone trying to recreate the Donner Superman film based on watered four decades of watered down parodies and homages. Nothing new or interesting, and nothing resembling either competent homage or criticism.

It draaaaaagged too just for the sake of Superman moments. There's no reason it couldn't have been shaved down into a regular 45-minute job, and it had almost zero relevance to Christmas. Kinda surprised at the licensing they managed to swing for the episode too; I chuckled at "I distracted them. I flooded the upper floors with Pokemon" :allears:.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Matt Lucas was a solid companion, and it was nice having one who could do a bit more independently than just cause trouble and follow along. I'm glad it looks like he'll be in at least some of the next season too.

It draaaaaagged too just for the sake of Superman moments. There's no reason it couldn't have been shaved down into a regular 45-minute job, and it had almost zero relevance to Christmas. Kinda surprised at the licensing they managed to swing for the episode too; I chuckled at "I distracted them. I flooded the upper floors with Pokemon" :allears:.

Matt Lucas was indeed one of the story's saving graces, which is lucky, since the whole little boy's room sequence primed me for pain. And why did Grant act like the a version of Silver Age Superman that only really existed in the minds of hacky parodists? Kid grew up on 90s comics. If anything, he should be acting the part of a grim and gritty antihero! Incidentally, the Ghost taking more cues from the "real" Silver Age Superman would've made for a much more amusing story, and justified Twelve's weird hostility to Grant using his powers. If he had broadly sketched psychic powers that could be mistaken for badly written dementia or autism, I bet he would've been all for it!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit: Although did they explain how the TARDIS was able to get back to New York? I thought it was inaccessible due to weird time poo poo ever since Angels in Manhattan.

Is that what the Doctor was fixing with his machine on the rooftop?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Is that what the Doctor was fixing with his machine on the rooftop?

Yeah, I can't remember the exact explanation but he said he was fixing something that was his fault.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Well Manicured Man posted:

Amen. It didn't blow me away, but it was a perfectly adequate christmas special.

How long is it to the next episode?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, the Ghost catching the spaceship with his right hand even though he's left-handed so as not to drop the baby monitor was very in keeping with Superman. And the Doctor being the last person in the universe to put together that Superman is Clark Kent was pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That felt like an RTD episode

• Locked thread