Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anybody know when the Origin Christmas sale ends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

mike12345 posted:

Maybe it's like Civ V and Brave New World, you know, that kind of situation.

They definitely improve the game and it'd be hard to go back to playing without them, but the base game is perfectly playable without them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

They definitely improve the game and it'd be hard to go back to playing without them, but the base game is perfectly playable without them.

Yeah and even then the only one I'd call anything close to essential is Tempest for naval combat.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Aardark posted:

Oh for sure, there is a sale for every season. poo poo is on sale more often than not. That's why the discounts are so underwhelming, I guess.

Most of the prices I'm seeing in this sale are the same as they were in other sales but not all of them were on sale at the same time. For example nothing in the Black Friday or Halloween sales is any more or less expensive in this one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just a heads-up, the Portal pinball table is a buck and it's one of the better PinballFX tables (imo) :wcc:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Huge thanks to Nekoxid for Shadow Warrior 2! It's great to see the OG gifting crew still out strong in 2016. Seriously a great bunch of goons.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Zephro posted:

I'm in the mood for a 4X game of some sort but don't have a lot to spend. Endless Space and Galactic Civilisations 2 are both on sale, and both get good reviews. Should I just flip a coin or is there a reason to go for one or the other?

I'd recommend Sword of the Stars. You want the complete original game and not the sequel. It's $2.50 right now.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Just a heads-up, the Portal pinball table is a buck and it's one of the better PinballFX tables (imo) :wcc:

Gonna get some pinball, what are some of the top tables?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lister posted:

I'd recommend Sword of the Stars. You want the complete original game and not the sequel. It's $2.50 right now.

:agreed:

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Zephro posted:

I'm in the mood for a 4X game of some sort but don't have a lot to spend. Endless Space and Galactic Civilisations 2 are both on sale, and both get good reviews. Should I just flip a coin or is there a reason to go for one or the other?

GalCiv 2 is pretty much Civ in space, and none the worse for it. The AI is retarded, and you can cheese the tech trading for mad loot, so it's not usually colossally challenging. The ship designer can be pretty time consuming, if you get anal about having pretty space ships, but is satisfying in a Lego-ey way. I spent a lot of time playing it and enjoyed it. GalCiv 3 is mainly more of the same, but with additional refinements. With either, ignore the campaigns and I'd take the time to replace the boring default races with some more interesting ones. For GC2, at least, there's a politics mod that massively expands the available government types for species creation, and another that lets you mess with additional species variables, both of which are worth grabbing.

SotS and Endless Thingummy left me completely cold by comparison, but it's different strokes for folks, I guess. Maybe just grab em all and refund the ones you like least? (And get Stellaris when you can, it's great.)

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Is the Binding of Issac thing coming out soon that supports steam workshop mods an expansion to afterbirth? Or is a seperate game?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

strategery posted:

Is the Binding of Issac thing coming out soon that supports steam workshop mods an expansion to afterbirth? Or is a seperate game?

It's an expansion of sorts. Ed says it should be soon but that may be in March.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deep Thoreau posted:

I am by no means a pinball wizard (though there are people who take these table SUPER SERIOUS and their reviews are generally to be trusted, if you're also a serious 'baller), but here's my thoughts on the ones I own:

Guardians of the Galaxy, Portal and Plants v Zombies are all top-tier to me.

Balls of Glory (American Dad, Family Guy, Archer) is good.

South Park is really fun, but I can see how people could have not so much fun.

Ms. Explosion Man is a terrible, annoying table, but it's also the only one I've been able to solve.

The early tables are all bad, small and confusing. Of them, Paranormal is the least bad. Epic Quest seems like it would be fun, but is actually super-annoying to trigger the minigame and lose in 1 second.

I have SW: Balance of the Force, and I can't tell if anything I'm doing matters. I don't know how to trigger the minigames. YMMV.

All the Marvel games are hard as balls and confusing with absurd conditions required for the minigames. Avoid.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edmond Dantes posted:

I have no idea how AvP handled it to be honest, but in A:I they're only around in places with hatched eggs in them, so you should be on alert in those places. There's one that's hiding behind some boxes and can surprise you (they do the "jump in your loving face" thing though, that's kinda what they do). The game can make you jump or surprise you, but it's part of the gameplay; I meant it doesn't have jumpscares a la "monster through a window" or stuff like Outlast. In A:I you usually see what's going to eat your face coming.

The first two AvP games handle it as follows: you're walking around and you don't see anything, but your motion tracker's beeping, then your screen is instantly covered in alien ovipositor with the facehugger SKREEEEEEEE playing louder than any other sound in the game, then you reload from your last save. It's basically a screamer prank shoehorned into an otherwise very good FPS, and it happens constantly once the facehuggers get introduced. It also, without fail, makes me poo poo my loving pants when it happens.

e: if you can actually see them coming, and if their attack is, y'know, actually leaping at your face instead of just bumping your knee and instantly teleporting to your face, then it's fine. If it's literally just "hmm it's been too long since the player's needed a new pair of trousers, let's drop a facehugger here" then gently caress that poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 26, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Flopstick posted:

SotS and Endless Thingummy left me completely cold by comparison, but it's different strokes for folks, I guess. Maybe just grab em all and refund the ones you like least? (And get Stellaris when you can, it's great.)

If you played Endless Space 1 this isn't surprising at all. It was just an extremely bland game with some huge glaring faults. Legend and Space 2 are massive improvements.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: if you can actually see them coming, and if their attack is, y'know, actually leaping at your face instead of just bumping your knee and instantly teleporting to your face, then it's fine. If it's literally just "hmm it's been too long since the player's needed a new pair of trousers, let's drop a facehugger here" then gently caress that poo poo.

It's the latter. They also die really easily if you hit them mid leap.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ahahaha, gently caress that. No, save for one that's hiding behind some cardboard boxes with no eggs in sight, you can usually tell when they're around and murder them before they reach you.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's the latter. They also die really easily if you hit them mid leap.

You mean the former? They need to jump at (and make contact with) your face to kill you. They're a one-hit kill if they do though, but you can avoid them and even wrench them mid-jump if you're quick on the uptake.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Deep Thoreau posted:

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I am by no means a pinball wizard (though there are people who take these table SUPER SERIOUS and their reviews are generally to be trusted, if you're also a serious 'baller), but here's my thoughts on the ones I own:

Guardians of the Galaxy, Portal and Plants v Zombies are all top-tier to me.

Balls of Glory (American Dad, Family Guy, Archer) is good.

South Park is really fun, but I can see how people could have not so much fun.

Ms. Explosion Man is a terrible, annoying table, but it's also the only one I've been able to solve.

The early tables are all bad, small and confusing. Of them, Paranormal is the least bad. Epic Quest seems like it would be fun, but is actually super-annoying to trigger the minigame and lose in 1 second.

I have SW: Balance of the Force, and I can't tell if anything I'm doing matters. I don't know how to trigger the minigames. YMMV.

All the Marvel games are hard as balls and confusing with absurd conditions required for the minigames. Avoid.

I can't figure out why people don't like Paranormal, it's one of my favorite tables. The goals are pretty clear and the field is insanely forgiving. I rarely have it drain out the side. That said, I totally agree that the early tables are kind of painful. The FX1 pack are miniature and unforgiving. The FX2 Core pack is far better, but compared to anything released since it's still kind of butts.

The Star Wars tables are all pretty alright, and the PvZ and Epic Quest tables are personal favorites because they're extremely chill compared to many of the other tables. Basically, just look at the tables from most recently released to the oldest and pick them in that order from ones that you have an interest in the subject matter for.

I wouldn't be a very good virtual pinball lover if I didn't toss out a recommendation for Pinball Arcade. The downside is that Farsight is shooting themselves in the foot with their insanely expensive season packs, but the upside is that not only do you get highly accurate recreations of real life tables (which is a huge allure to me) but its physics are absolutely second to none. FX doesn't even compare to Pinball Arcade in terms of feel, but unfortunately you can get most of FX2's tables for the price of one or two packs for Pinball Arcade.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

So, MMO babies here, is FFXIV worth it? I'm kind of looking for a new game to play, and I've heard a lot of great things about FF, but I'm unsure about the $15/mo cost. I know it comes with a month free, but it's hard to get a good judgment running around as a lowbie.

I'm mostly a WoW player, for reference, but I only play that via tokens nowadays. I also enjoyed TERA and TSW. I did not care for Neverwinter or Rift if that gives any indication as to what kinds of MMOs I like. The transmog and character options is what appeals to me most about FF.

Don't buy it on Steam. But it elsewhere. Stream never has as many sales on the expansions as other places and the Stream version is only compatible with Steam brought expansions and same for non steam versions.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Inzombiac posted:

It's an expansion of sorts. Ed says it should be soon but that may be in March.

Afterbirth Plus is out on Jan 3rd.

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Any opinions on Tales of Zestiria? 70 bucks down to 17, which seems good to me!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Probably brought up but any thoughts on Hearts of Iron IV? Never played any of the series, but I love stuff like Civ and strategy games.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nekrews posted:

Any opinions on Tales of Zestiria? 70 bucks down to 17, which seems good to me!

The plot's a complete mess and the gameplay (especially the equipment) has some annoying and confusing bits, but it's not bad overall and the characters are pretty fun. 17 dollars is probably the right price for it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Probably brought up but any thoughts on Hearts of Iron IV? Never played any of the series, but I love stuff like Civ and strategy games.

HoI4 isnt really much like Civ other than being a grand strategy game. Personally I find it fun-ish, but its still pretty new so they havnt had the time to flesh it out quite to the extent EU4 or CK2 are at. The first expansion/big patch shows a lot of promise heading forward though.

e: Alt-history mode rules. I invaded and annexed the entire USA as Communist Canada. :canada:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 26, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Tim Whatley posted:

If you're new to Paradox games, it's going to be a pretty steep learning curve. But keep at it, and it's a pretty fun ride that'll (in my opinion) make games like Civ seem shallow. You can sorta role-play whatever WW2 scenario you can imagine, and its only going to get better as DLCs come out. Legitimate game weaknesses include: enemy AI being awfully dumb (abandoning entire fronts until you're halfway to Berlin) and friendly AI stumbling through areas of conflict, siphoning your resources when they should be elsewhere. Also some of the game mechanics are a bit opaque, such as managing air and naval forces.

That all said, if you like WW2 and alt-history within a deep strategy game, its really fun! The HOI IV thread is really helpful too if you have any questions (which you probably will given Paradox game design!).

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 26, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tim Whatley posted:

It's a great conquer the world simulator but if you're looking for competent AI allies and generally realistic country AI behaviour, look somewhere else. But it's fun at what it's good at.

I suggest looking at an LP though to see if it's what your looking for, since it's much more abstract than a Civ game.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 26, 2016

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I want to pick up some indie games but haven't really kept up this year. What are the best indie games of 2016?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Away all Goats posted:

It's a great conquer the world simulator but if you're looking for competent AI allies and generally realistic country AI behaviour, look somewhere else. I enjoyed it.
Before the massive DLC/patch it was pretty easy to strangle Nazi Germany in the crib as France, even. I dunno how much that's changed since I haven't played since. But sometimes my Allies game would end rather quickly because Axis decides to move all their troops to a backwater country, leaving UK and France to walk in.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I want to pick up some indie games but haven't really kept up this year. What are the best indie games of 2016?
Any specific genre? Stardew Valley got some AAA-level attention despite it being made by one dude for the past couple of years. It came out earlier this year. Ultimate chill game, think PC version of Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 26, 2016

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Stardew Valley, The Witness, and Hyper Light Drifter are my recommendations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Brigador, a fantastic isometric mech simulator with a kickin' rad soundtrack!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I got Inside at full price and it was great. Go in as blind as you can.

Was The Witness this year? Because if you have any interest at all in puzzle games it's basically the ultimate. Never look anything up, solve it all yourself, the game's narrative and difficulty curve rely on you understanding the solutions you give.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Krazyface posted:

Was The Witness this year? Because if you have any interest at all in puzzle games it's basically the ultimate. Never look anything up, solve it all yourself, the game's narrative and difficulty curve rely on you understanding the solutions you give.
Definitely this. The Witness is my favorite game of 2016, and probably my second-favorite of all time (right after The Talos Principle).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Picked up Alien Isolation because I saw Alien for the first time this year (which I mega enjoyed), and I really like suspense games. Heads are gonna roll in here if this game sucks.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Zetsubou's games wot i quite like - pointless christmas awards edition

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4
Part 5

Pre-Civilization Marble Age - $2.49 (-50%) - turn-based strategy/puzzle guiding a greek city-state
REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR - $2.49 (-75%) - on-rails 3d shmup, where you can rotate the play-field
Science Girls - $2.49 (-50%) - solid RPG from Hanako Games
Spacechem - $2.49 (-75%) - puzzle game about space and chems
Spirits of Xanadu - $2.49 (-75%) - explore a spaceship after something happened to the previous crew
Strife: Veteran Edition - $2.49 (-75%) - classic 90's FPS with some RPG elements
System Shock 2 - $2.49 (-75%) - a classic sci-fi horror game. Go play this, or are you just a pathetic creature of meat and bone?
Thomas Was Alone - $2.49 (-75%) - puzzle-platformer with a great story
Triple Town - $2.49 (-75%) - place objects on a limited playfield for as long as you can. if 3 or more of the same object are adjoining, they merge into a single higher tier object
Knytt Underground - $2.79 (-60%) - a large platforming adventure game from Nifflas
Towers of Altrac - $2.79 (-60%) - a solid TD game, with 3 campaigns full of lengthy missions
Abyss Odyssey - $2.99 (-80%) - side-scrolling action game set in late 19th-century Chile
Antichamber - $2.99 (-85%) - first-person-mindfuck puzzler
Immortal Defense - $2.99 (-70%) - trippy sci-fi TD, turn up the GFX to melt your eyes
Militia - $2.99 (-50%) - tactical puzzle game with chess-like concepts
Osmos - $2.99 (-70%) - cell-based puzzle game, a good podcast game
TRI: Of Friendship and Madness - $2.99 (-80%) - first-person puzzle exploration, create your own platforms
WazHack - $2.99 (-70%) - pseudo-realtime side-on roguelike
Tomb of Tyrants - $3.19 (-60%) - Dungeon Keeper if it was a match-3 type game
Unholy Heights - $3.19 (-20%) - cute apartment management sim / TDish game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

since i'm paranoid about buying any game over $10 due to being a humble monthly subscriber, i'm looking at cleaning up a lot of my cheaper wishlist items. i've got these in the mix right now:

Airscape, Karma Incarnation 1, Magatama Earrings, Evo Explores, Refunct, Sandmason, Lucidity, Nom Nom Galaxy, Toren, Alpha Polaris, Traverser, The Sea Will Claim Everything, Drunken Robot Pornography, Crimson Room Decade, Shardlight, Deathtrap, Tick Tock Bang Bang, Pharaoh Rebirth, Legend of Kay Anniversary, Magnetta, Deadly Tower of Monsters, Wasted, Virginia, Fortified, Ghost 1.0, Sublevel Zero, NeonXSZ, Stories: Path of Destinies, Orwell, Creepy Castle

Not getting all of them obviously. but it shouldn't be too hard to whittle some of those down (starting with games that pop up in weeklong deals frequently cause i can get those later)

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Someone talk me into buying Elite Dangerous: Horizons. I've got the core game but barely touched it (played through the tutorial missions and that was about it), for no other reason than I've just been constantly distracted by other things. I enjoy space exploration/trade/combat games in general and was a big fan of the original Elite and Frontier back in the day. I'm not particularly interested in the multiplayer component, so I'm hoping there's an interesting enough single player experience there. I've heard its kinda grindy, but then so were the previous games in the series, so I can live with that. I just don't want to see everything the game has to offer within 2-3 hours. I keep wanting to dive back into the game but feel like I need Horizons now to get the full experience.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Dali Parton posted:

Picked up Alien Isolation because I saw Alien for the first time this year (which I mega enjoyed), and I really like suspense games. Heads are gonna roll in here if this game sucks.

If you like the genre, my guess is the only big downside would be the dodgy Alien AI I've heard of, but I never actually played, I'm just relaying what I think I've heard. In other words, good thing you've already bought it.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Thanks for the recommendations. Stardew (forgot this was this year), Inside and The Witness are the games (other than Overwatch) that I've played this year. Fantastic games. It would be hard for somebody to convince me that Inside isn't a storytelling masterpiece. Hyper Light Drifter looks cool.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

TheBigAristotle posted:

If you like the genre, my guess is the only big downside would be the dodgy Alien AI I've heard of, but I never actually played, I'm just relaying what I think I've heard. In other words, good thing you've already bought it.
The AI is fine, there's just an element of unpredictability about it that frustrates some players. As someone who's super into stealth games like Thief and Dishonored that suits me fine -- those games lose their edge once you can predictably game the AI with 100% reliability. Some people claim they can game the AI in Alien: Isolation with 100% predictability, but I've yet to see a single YT video that demonstrates that. You certainly have all the tools at your disposal to deal with the alien threat and a good player can run through the game without dying once, but the alien is never, ever 100% predictable.

I think the save game system is probably its most divisive element -- checkpoint only, no quicksave. I think the lack of quicksave is actually integral to the game's mechanics and atmosphere. Almost all of the game's tension is based entirely on the notion that you're vulnerable and safe harbors are few and far between. Quicksave would essentially create a safe bubble that constantly surrounds the player and thus change the entire dynamics of the game. I can understand people being frustrated at not knowing if/when the next checkpoint is coming up and thus be unable to plan their gaming sessions accordingly, but I think that's a small price to pay for the integrity of the game. Having said all that I understand there's a quicksave mod out there, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to seek it out unless they're having a very miserable time with the vanilla game and feel like it would improve their experience.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Zetsu recommend me some anime games again. Price doesnt matter. I need something to combat my depressing Christmas and anime is surely the cure. I have all the Neps (and all the bad CH/IF games), all the Final Fantasy games, and anything by NIS already. Thanks to your recommendations last year I also ended up with Akibas Trip, Long Live the Queen, Grandia II, Recettear, and Tales of Zestiria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Furnaceface posted:

Zetsu recommend me some anime games again. Price doesnt matter. I need something to combat my depressing Christmas and anime is surely the cure. I have all the Neps (and all the bad CH/IF games), all the Final Fantasy games, and anything by NIS already. Thanks to your recommendations last year I also ended up with Akibas Trip, Long Live the Queen, Grandia II, Recettear, and Tales of Zestiria.

My friend, Rabi-Ribi is the answer.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400910/

But only if you like metroidvanias.

• Locked thread