Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there anything worthwhile in death magic these days or has it been completely gutted? not sure why I'd take a death vampire over a shadow one at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

I also miss molays, after his badass items the ones you get for legendary lord quest battles are underwhelming now.

The red skill lines we get now break the game just as much and are way less cool.

Seriously. Gal Maraz should be mega strong, it's Gal loving Maraz!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fall of the Samurai was good, yo.

It was, but consider that enemy factions often get artillery before you do, assuming you even get artillery.

I personally don't want to watch my army utterly disintegrate before I can even get into melee.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Rygar201 posted:

Seriously. Gal Maraz should be mega strong, it's Gal loving Maraz!

What's this mean? Didn't play tabletop

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ammanas posted:

It's the titular Warhammer.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Gal Maraz is the Warhammer Sigmar used. It is the Warhammer of the universe name and that is the basis of the symbol of the Sigmarite religion.

It is the equivalent of the True Cross in Christianity.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Is Molay's not going to be eventually updated? Why y'all grieving over it like a dead lover

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

Is Molay's not going to be eventually updated? Why y'all grieving over it like a dead lover

No, Molay has said he wasn't going to update anymore.

That being said, Cataph has done a pretty solid job of keeping it alive as long as you don't mind his changes.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Carnalfex posted:

No, Molay has said he wasn't going to update anymore.

That being said, Cataph has done a pretty solid job of keeping it alive as long as you don't mind his changes.

It's not the same at all, cataph is just a flavor change. Molays was an entirely different dish

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ammanas posted:

It was the most potent of rune weapons created by the old Dwarven Runelords back before the decline of the their empire, and it's on the cover of almost ever WHFB rulebook. It is The Warhammer of Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the warhammer was actually something else, for a while.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the warhammer was actually something else, for a while.

I played late 6th through the end of 7th. Must have missed it then

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was originally the hammer of harry the hammer a norscan warchief who was one of the mascot characters for the setting in the early days.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

It was originally the hammer of harry the hammer a norscan warchief who was one of the mascot characters for the setting in the early days.

Hah, Harry the Hammer did own.

Someone should do a mod for Harry the Hammer or Asavar Kul to lead the Storm of Chaos instead

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rygar201 posted:

Hah, Harry the Hammer did own.

Someone should do a mod for Harry the Hammer or Asavar Kul to lead the Storm of Chaos instead

It's funny, Asavar Kul doesn't have much personality either but still manages to feel cooler than Archaon, probably because GW wasn't pushing him hard constantly.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
archaon at least has a good role this game, in allowing players to come up with fun new ways to punk him repeatedly

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Night10194 posted:

It's funny, Asavar Kul doesn't have much personality either but still manages to feel cooler than Archaon, probably because GW wasn't pushing him hard constantly.

It's not Archaeon's lack of personality, it's his incredibly hackneyed origin story an motivation that I can't stand.

As that trailer for that lovely Warhammer pc game shows you can find implacable black armored Killers well. Archaeon's not that, hah

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

archaon at least has a good role this game, in allowing players to come up with fun new ways to punk him repeatedly

I wish I could find the screenshot one goon posted where Archaon's death animation synced up with Deathclaw's foot landing on him so it looked like the majestic Catbird was just curbstomping him.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Night10194 posted:

I wish I could find the screenshot one goon posted where Archaon's death animation synced up with Deathclaw's foot landing on him so it looked like the majestic Catbird was just curbstomping him.

The one in the OP?

shalcar posted:

The Empire

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

shalcar posted:

The one in the OP?

poo poo, you can tell I haven't checked the OP in ages.

Thanks! Deathclaw is the best catbird.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
every faction needs an image of big metal baby man dying

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

every faction needs an image of big metal baby man dying

I need to see a squig eat Archaeon

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When you fight Archaon, you can usually auto resolve a win and he'll branch off into his own single-man army. I like to follow it up with a duel between him and Franz with the whole army watching on as Franz punks him. Auto resolving against chaos is really great because hellcannons are bullshit and hurt Empire really really bad, but it always feels a little cheap to "beat" the game with an auto resolve.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Rygar201 posted:

I need to see a squig eat Archaeon

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Archeon died to 150 cannonballs to the face in my Dorf campaign.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Archaon's pose here is literally perfect. He looks like he's in the middle of yelling "Oh no, not again!"

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In my chaos campaign I didn't even get Archaon until the endgame and I really only recruited him so I could see his skill trees. He got repeatedly assassinated and got to maybe rank 4. His stack did just fine under a generic lord instead.

Archaon is trash.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Isn't he legit the most powerful melee hero in the game right now? Like his only weakness in combat is no Dragon?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

He also gets some magic, so he's not really a BAD lord, he's just puffed up to be this superhuman world-destroyer which makes him getting punked by nasty skulkers that much funnier.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
He also gets a ton of magic items, which you realistically will never get them all in a normal game, but if you have the Instant Quest battles mod it can be worthwhile.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rygar201 posted:

It's not Archaeon's lack of personality, it's his incredibly hackneyed origin story an motivation that I can't stand.

Yeah this. It's not like Karl Franz or Sigmar or Thorgrim or Tirion or whatever other Mary Sue faction leader has any more personality than Archaon.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

What's not to like about Archaon's story? You don't like "Random dude finds out he's the Chosen of Chaos and flips his poo poo so hard in rage over this that he ends up becoming the Chosen of Chaos just, you know, BECAUSE WHY THE gently caress NOT?" Archaon the Evertantrum: Literally raged about not wanting to be a pawn of Chaos so hard that he ended up being the ultimate pawn of the Chaos gods.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Archaon was born with a terrible genetic condition that caused his chin to constantly clip through his shoulder and his anger at God for allowing this to happen led him to destroy the world.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah this. It's not like Karl Franz or Sigmar or Thorgrim or Tirion or whatever other Mary Sue faction leader has any more personality than Archaon.

Archaon is built up to be way more of a huge unstoppable badass than any of these besides maybe Tirion(Sigmar isn't really a faction leader until the Age of Sigmar nonsense, he's just a god). The entire thing about the Chaos gods is that they're super fickle and picky about their chosen ones and the moment they get tired of you they mutate you into a puddle of flesh or abandon you to your fate but somehow Archaon is just so awesome that he's the "everchosen" and gets to gently caress up as many times as he wants and all the Chaos gods still love him forever and shower him with billions of magic items and gifts because why not.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kanos posted:

somehow Archaon is just so awesome that he's the "everchosen" and gets to gently caress up as many times as he wants and all the Chaos gods still love him forever and shower him with billions of magic items and gifts because why not.
Everchosen is even a bullshit title since there were at least 4 Everchosen before Archaon who all failed, got their asses kicked and were dumped by the Chaos gods.

How many of Archaon's failures are even canon though? He lost during the whole Storm of Chaos thing, but if I recall right GW sort of pretended that SoC never happened afterwards and officially retconned it out of existence with the End Times.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Kanos posted:

Archaon is built up to be way more of a huge unstoppable badass than any of these besides maybe Tirion(Sigmar isn't really a faction leader until the Age of Sigmar nonsense, he's just a god). The entire thing about the Chaos gods is that they're super fickle and picky about their chosen ones and the moment they get tired of you they mutate you into a puddle of flesh or abandon you to your fate but somehow Archaon is just so awesome that he's the "everchosen" and gets to gently caress up as many times as he wants and all the Chaos gods still love him forever and shower him with billions of magic items and gifts because why not.

I'd like to think that's because at least a couple of the Chaos Gods find his failures (when canon) hilarious.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Archaon is the chaos gods equivalent of a fail video. Every time he tries something I bet the gods cluster around a crystal ball and kill themselves laughing as he gets stomped on by catbirds, pinballed by cannons and devoured by squigs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Lets be fair. He might be the Everfailure... but he sure as poo poo isn't Abbadon the Armless.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Archaon is a winner, and unlike the losers elsewhere, he never doesn't win. If he loses then it's not canon, because losing isn't what a winner does.

not even really exaggerating. he's got all magic gear thats the best and strongest at everything, he's got the biggest army of the best warriors, all the biggest and most evil guys constantly go "oh man!!! he's so cool and scary!!!" in his presence, and he wins by getting angry and being very strong until he wins by smashing something really hard but is talked up like hes a perfect warrior genius for doing so. he's really mad about very boring poo poo, is fated to be the winner and everyone knows it but still oscillates between being mr hot poo poo and being insecure angry dweeb seeking validation (like, his great Turn To Darkness was based on being angry and praying to Sigmar to fix everything and then running off in a huff when Sigmar didn't show up to make it all better(and he hates the Chaos Gods too because gently caress YOU DAD)), and hates everything because everything is unfair to him or too mean or just because hes a never ending escapist invincible temper tantrum and kind of a dick to top it all off.

mary sue gets thrown around a lot. and yeah karl franz is this cool dude with a magic hammer but he's got an archetype and design like a 1600's Michael Wilson. he's not deep, he's not complex, but that's not really the problem with things here. franz fits in his world, serves a purpose, has some fun characterization, and he's got conflict he deals with and is relatable on some level. grimgor is like a green archaon but he doesn't come off nearly as badly because he's 110% orc and thus fun and goofy despite being shallow as you can possibly be. archaon's a total unrelatable wet blanket about everything he does, on top of being the poster boy of the worst parts of the setting. his only good moment is in SoC when he got punked on because having a dude who wins forever for not reason other than because hes a plot device shamelessly glued to a 14 year olds idea of cool and watching him fail and become a laughingstock is satisfying for the same reasons beiber being beaned with a water bottle is. he's the overwrought snk boss of wargames, an overpowered big whiny baby who people hate, not for fun, but because he's a malevolent bore that wont get off the stage.

i bet he smells super bad under that armor too.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

• Locked thread