Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
bss movie thread: accentuate the nipple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phylodox posted:

Apparently it was slated to be released about two months after Batman premiered, but was pushed back until April, '91. Except in West Germany. It sounds like a very complicated production.

There is no way I saw that movie in 91, I saw it in 1989. I was like 13 years old.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

bss movie thread: accentuate the nipple

Powdered Toast Man movie coming 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Civil War came to Netflix for those of you who didn't get the chance to see it in theaters.

Still think Cap was right.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Cap murdered and crippled several police officers to protect someone he knows has murdered hundreds of people. But he thought "Yes, your dad is dead, but he didn't really mean it." is a valid legal defense.

Way to side with the terrorists.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gently caress the police.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SonicRulez posted:

Civil War came to Netflix for those of you who didn't get the chance to see it in theaters.

Still think Cap was right.
Actually you'll find it being a morally corrupting movie that supports drone warfare, libertarianism, fascism and will be looked back on in 50 years like 1930s German cinema reveals the dark times we live in. Now let me explain to you why The Guest is actually the best Captain America movie

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

achillesforever6 posted:

Actually you'll find it being a morally corrupting movie that supports drone warfare, libertarianism, fascism and will be looked back on in 50 years like 1930s German cinema

It's no M.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Actually you'll find it being a morally corrupting movie that supports drone warfare, libertarianism, fascism

I mean that isn't inaccurate.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Actually you'll find it being a morally corrupting movie that supports drone warfare, libertarianism, fascism and will be looked back on in 50 years like 1930s German cinema reveals the dark times we live in. Now let me explain to you why The Guest is actually the best Captain America movie

It's actually the second best cap movie. First Avenger being number 1.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

It's actually the second best cap movie. First Avenger being number 1.
I do enjoy First Avenger, it made me hate Joe Johnston less after he ruined my childhood with Jurassic Park 3

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

First Avenger's pretty cool until the incredibly rushed ending sequence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First Avenger is bad after the train scene.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like First Avenger more than any of the other Phase 1 solo films. I think the Cap trilogy is the best superhero trilogy we have. All 3 movies delivered to me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I liked First Avenger, but I must admit that's partly because it's the best Wolfenstein movie we have.

achillesforever6 posted:

I do enjoy First Avenger, it made me hate Joe Johnston less after he ruined my childhood with Jurassic Park 3

It's been years since I last saw JP3, and I liked it as a fun, if somewhat mindless, film. It probably doesn't hold up in the slightest, but no matter how bad it actually is, there's no way it's worse than Lost World.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lost World is way better than JP3

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

catlord posted:

It's been years since I last saw JP3, and I liked it as a fun, if somewhat mindless, film. It probably doesn't hold up in the slightest, but no matter how bad it actually is, there's no way it's worse than Lost World.

It totally is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody even kicks a raptor in the face in 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody even kicks a raptor in the face in 3.

Which one is that supposed to be a plus for?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Which one is that supposed to be a plus for?

Happens in the first two.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Lost World is way better than JP3
Thank you The Lost World had Jeff Goldblum, some great set pieces (which JP3 had none of), Peter Posthewaife, and the best Jurassic Park score.

Seriously this one scene is better than anything in JP3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vJiNQJEWN4
Roland is such a badass that they cut a scene early in the movie because Spielberg thought it made him too sympathetic (beating up some racist douchebag tourists in Africa/India)

The worst crimes that TLW commit is Vince Vaughn's character and the gymnastic scene which the latter you could probably cut from the film and not effect the flow of the movie at all.

Though its kind of obvious Steven was kind of half assing this movie as a cash in before he started to work on Saving Private Ryan.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The set piece with the rv over the cliff is really well done.

Also, I defend the gymnastics scene due to the movie being about Goldblum reconnecting with his daughter and that moment is the first time he ever watches her do gymnastics. It's insanely goofy, so if it didn't work for you that's okay.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The RV over the cliff is a scene I just remembered as I was trying to think of anything from Lost World. Off the top of my head the only two scenes I could think of were the raptors in the tall grass and the T-Rex drinking from the pool. I have no idea how they managed to make a T-Rex loose in San Diego so boring, but God was it dull.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

catlord posted:

The RV over the cliff is a scene I just remembered as I was trying to think of anything from Lost World. Off the top of my head the only two scenes I could think of were the raptors in the tall grass and the T-Rex drinking from the pool. I have no idea how they managed to make a T-Rex loose in San Diego so boring, but God was it dull.

Raptors closing in on those goobers in the tall grass is the best shot in any Jurassic movie. Rest of Lost World is garbage especially considering the cool stuff from the book they squandered (chameleon dinosaurs, raptor motorcycle chase)

What were we talking about? Oh yeah Captain America. Winter Soldier is not only the best Cap movie but the best Marvel movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I read Captain Marvel will be in Infinity War from multiple sources, so that's good. I really cannot wait to see Brie Larsen in the costume, though I'm sure the first picture will be her in civvies, though hopefully wearing a Star Wars shirt, becuase dammit, she's a giant nerd.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently the Russos confirmed it by accident way back in the spring but I guess it didn't get reported much then.

The source this time is an official casting call that includes all the stars. It's possible the casting agency made a mistake, but seems unlikely. They're not going to assume and add characters to the list.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

First Avenger's pretty cool until the incredibly rushed ending sequence.

Same goes for Winter Soldier I think. After the freeway sequence I could just switch it off, because the ending gets too big and too bland.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

First Avenger is great but should have been 20 minutes longer to give the Howling Commandos a meaningful story in the push through Europe instead of a montage of it. Also, I wasn't in love with Civil War but the Cap trilogy is magnificent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rantmo posted:

First Avenger is great but should have been 20 minutes longer to give the Howling Commandos a meaningful story in the push through Europe instead of a montage of it. Also, I wasn't in love with Civil War but the Cap trilogy is magnificent.

Yeah, it really doesn't sell the length of time or that it made them into basically legends.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, it really doesn't sell the length of time or that it made them into basically legends.

Before Agent Carter was greenlit there was talk of a HC series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Before Agent Carter was greenlit there was talk of a HC series.

But to get it for the right period you need Cap and Bucky, and that would never happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

But to get it for the right period you need Cap and Bucky, and that would never happen.

Eh, you just tell tales of missions when they were busy or something.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Too bad Cap and Bucky went off to see the USO in Paris while we gotta go blow up this nazi gold train, right guys!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

The source this time is an official casting call that includes all the stars. It's possible the casting agency made a mistake, but seems unlikely. They're not going to assume and add characters to the list.

That list from the casting call, by the way, is hilarious

quote:

Starring in Avengers: Infinity War is BAFTA Award nominee Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Academy Award nominee Josh Brolin as Thanos, Saturn Award Winner Chris Pratt as Star Lord / Peter Quill, Teen Choice Awards nominee Sebastian Stan as Bucky, four-time Golden Globe Award nominee Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow, Academy Award nominee Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Stephen Strange, Academy Award winner Brie Larson as Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel, ALMA Award winner Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Empire Award winner Karen Gillan as Nebula, two-time Academy Award nominee Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye, two-time Saturn Award nominee Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America, BAFTA Awards nominee Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet, four-time Academy Award nominee Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon, Screen Actors Guild Awards nominee Vin Diesel as Groot, Academy Award nominee Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Screen Actors Guild Awards nominee Paul Rudd as Scott Lang / Ant-Man, British Independent Film Awards nominee Benedict Wong as Wong, Action on Film Award winner Dave Bautista as Drax, BAFTA Film Award nominee Paul Bettany as Vision, Santa Barbara International Film Festival Virtuoso Award winner Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa / Black Panther, three-time Academy Award nominee Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / The Hulk, and two-time Academy Award nominee Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man.

I suppose it's agents who insist that every member of the cast has an award or nominating front of their name?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who actually gives a poo poo about BAFTAs?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Who actually gives a poo poo about BAFTAs?

Everyone who's won a BAFTA but not an Oscar.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Would've been awkward if someone had never been nominated for anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the best because you see Teen Choice nominee and yet they still get lower and lower.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Too bad Cap and Bucky went off to see the USO in Paris while we gotta go blow up this nazi gold train, right guys!

Don't be silly. It'd a superhero franchise TV tie-in. They'd refer to them as "the star-spangled man and his sidekick" or possibly reveal that Cap is a distant cousin of one of the squad so he'll only ever be "my cousin".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

achillesforever6 posted:

Thank you The Lost World had Jeff Goldblum, some great set pieces (which JP3 had none of), Peter Posthewaife, and the best Jurassic Park score.

Seriously this one scene is better than anything in JP3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vJiNQJEWN4
Roland is such a badass that they cut a scene early in the movie because Spielberg thought it made him too sympathetic (beating up some racist douchebag tourists in Africa/India)

The worst crimes that TLW commit is Vince Vaughn's character and the gymnastic scene which the latter you could probably cut from the film and not effect the flow of the movie at all.

Though its kind of obvious Steven was kind of half assing this movie as a cash in before he started to work on Saving Private Ryan.

The Lost World also gave us Ahr-nold as King Lear, even if it's for a half second. So that's a major plus for it right there.

• Locked thread