Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

That's why those stupid little poles should be traded out for retractable bollards instead

Raise them as soon as the light goes yellow, it won't take people long to learn the cost of being stupid and reckless

Rolling with horses made me dread yellows, stale greens, and unsure lights of all kinds. I hear the standard towing analogy is to stand in a trailer and have your friend drive you around a little bit. They gotta rest and having to stop for a sudden light change was brutal. We cut some questionable yellows with the rig because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The jackass with horses on any road busy enough to need traffic lights is, in fact, the person we're stuck sharing the road with

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
What about a hoser with jackasses?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

That's why those stupid little poles should be traded out for retractable bollards instead

Raise them as soon as the light goes yellow, it won't take people long to learn the cost of being stupid and reckless

It may take longer than you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Cw0QJU8ro

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This will forever be one of my favourite videos :allears:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Watch_Dogs in real life.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:perfect:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Javid posted:

The jackass with horses on any road busy enough to need traffic lights is, in fact, the person we're stuck sharing the road with

He meant in a trailer. Slamming on the brakes is a good way to hurt a horse. I have run some yellows I shouldn't have and stopped way earlier than necessary on lights I wasn't sure about for the sake of the horses.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I miss Manchester sometimes.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Did the last guy in the bollard video crack the windshield with his head? :stare:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Atticus_1354 posted:

He meant in a trailer. Slamming on the brakes is a good way to hurt a horse. I have run some yellows I shouldn't have and stopped way earlier than necessary on lights I wasn't sure about for the sake of the horses.

I've seen some very questionable driving from people pulling horse trailers, most notably one time in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic the driver was doing the "ALL THROTTLE ALL BRAKE" method instead of the "just idle in the lowest gear" method. I've also seen a group of proper 18 wheeler horse trailers at a TA and I mentally compared them to the drivers who haul supercars in climate controlled trailers: people who make mad money off of people who have lots and lots of money while providing a service.

I've also seen a camel squeezed into a horse trailer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ripoff posted:

Did the last guy in the bollard video crack the windshield with his head? :stare:

Probably not, the airbag deployed.

Not sure why he's holding his head though, maybe something in the back seat flew up and clocked him.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

Probably not, the airbag deployed.

Not sure why he's holding his head though, maybe something in the back seat flew up and clocked him.

I think it's the universal "gently caress, what did I do" gesture. I don't think it's (physical) pain

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CannonFodder posted:

I've also seen a camel squeezed into a horse trailer.

I wish I made good money off hauling horses. But I just got my normal salary plus fast food for the trip. At the guest ranch I used to work at a guy would bring camels for some of our groups. They would walk in and lay down and still have to duck their heads. I once saw him pulling a single camel in an open top horse trailer with its head out in the wind. They are some weird animals.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

I think it's the universal "gently caress, what did I do" gesture. I don't think it's (physical) pain

I think this in conjunction with maybe a child in the back seat?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Michael Scott posted:

He knew what he was trying to do, hence the swift acceleration right on the rear end of the bus.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Definitely just hurt myself putting the brake pedal through the floor and 6 ft below the earth to stop my car 3 inches from a Honda Civic that pulled a random left in front of me. They continued through the intersection without hesitation or remorse as my headlights filled their cabin and I dented the steering wheel honking the horn.

They would have had to have run a red turn signal. They drove right up and went right through without even stopping. It's not as if they were trying to make an amber light. My light was green as I approached. Green as I entered the intersection. Green as I hit the brakes.

My ankle hurts and my foot is tingling.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FogHelmut posted:

Definitely just hurt myself putting the brake pedal through the floor and 6 ft below the earth to stop my car 3 inches from a Honda Civic that pulled a random left in front of me. They continued through the intersection without hesitation or remorse as my headlights filled their cabin and I dented the steering wheel honking the horn.

They would have had to have run a red turn signal. They drove right up and went right through without even stopping. It's not as if they were trying to make an amber light. My light was green as I approached. Green as I entered the intersection. Green as I hit the brakes.

My ankle hurts and my foot is tingling.

poo poo like this is why I have a dash cam. If that had actually been a wreck, the dashcam would prove you had the green and remove all question about fault and liability. Dash cams - cheap insurance.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

poo poo like this is why I have a dash cam. If that had actually been a wreck, the dashcam would prove you had the green and remove all question about fault and liability. Dash cams - cheap insurance.

The problem with the dash cam is that it would record me dragging these bastards out of their car and beating the poo poo out of them with their own loving limbs

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dude it's in 3 minute segments you can just delete those

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm thinking it would be more effective to just get a set of bull bars.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

The Locator posted:

I bought my helmet/dash cam due to an encounter with a white Toyota pickup driving idiotically. I have seen him twice since then, but not recently. I hope that his death didn't take any innocents with him.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I wish I made good money off hauling horses. But I just got my normal salary plus fast food for the trip. At the guest ranch I used to work at a guy would bring camels for some of our groups. They would walk in and lay down and still have to duck their heads. I once saw him pulling a single camel in an open top horse trailer with its head out in the wind.

That can lead to 11'8 problems.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ca-9640928.html

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy reading this thread and noticed a lot of you were really informed on liability. I'm interviewing for an auto insurance claims position soon and wanted to know if y'all had any recommended sources.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Glassdoor for interview questions. You'll want to know the STAR format. PM me if you want more info.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Well, after running off the road and tearing my bumper up on a curb this morning to avoid the person who lunged into my lane around a bus, I'm strongly considering a dash cam. Is there a thread favorite or a separate recommendations thread around?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ulmont posted:

Well, after running off the road and tearing my bumper up on a curb this morning to avoid the person who lunged into my lane around a bus, I'm strongly considering a dash cam. Is there a thread favorite or a separate recommendations thread around?

Here you go, bud.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215&pagenumber=75#lastpost

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thanks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just finally set up my A118C and it didn't die in 45 minutes like my Cobra 840 did, though that's not much of a ringing endorsement.

Naturally, I saw almost no shenanigans on the road today and people were even aware of their rearview mirrors and moved over when I wanted to pass them instead of hogging the passing lane, so I have nothing to share. Might be my first commute ever without at least 2-3 people trying to kill me.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

kastein posted:

I just finally set up my A118C and it didn't die in 45 minutes like my Cobra 840 did, though that's not much of a ringing endorsement.

Naturally, I saw almost no shenanigans on the road today and people were even aware of their rearview mirrors and moved over when I wanted to pass them instead of hogging the passing lane, so I have nothing to share. Might be my first commute ever without at least 2-3 people trying to kill me.

Your dash cam is a sacred talisman. The moment it dies or you forget to turn it on for some reason is the moment the shenanigans start anew.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

not really surprised that i instantly recognized the location either

pissa

http://www.universalhub.com/2016/masshole-morning

kastein posted:

Might be my first commute ever without at least 2-3 people trying to kill me.

ahhh savour it friend... :)

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 30, 2016

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
douchenozzle cursing at idiot after impact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwfzD56X8Sk

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to install a program that tracks the percentage of turns made without signalling and publicly shames people who drop below a certain percentage.

Maybe an "I'm a shitbird" lighted sign in the rear window of every car which lights if % drops below 70? We have the technology.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

B4Ctom1 posted:

douchenozzle cursing at idiot after impact

Seemed more like generic cursing because he got in a wreck, not so much directed at the poor dude that went sideways.

Also, I love how he has impaired his vision with all those loving lights mounted in his line of sight - presuming that the camera is mounted up top on the windshield, and he sits lower and further back, they have to significantly reduce his sight line over the hood.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

Someone needs to install a program that tracks the percentage of turns made without signalling and publicly shames people who drop below a certain percentage.

Maybe an "I'm a shitbird" lighted sign in the rear window of every car which lights if % drops below 70? We have the technology.

Like that episode of Black Mirror, except for the public good. I like it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

Seemed more like generic cursing because he got in a wreck, not so much directed at the poor dude that went sideways.

Also, I love how he has impaired his vision with all those loving lights mounted in his line of sight - presuming that the camera is mounted up top on the windshield, and he sits lower and further back, they have to significantly reduce his sight line over the hood.

Given that he made absolutely no discernible effort to avoid collision when he had at least a few seconds warning when the car started going sideways I'd say its directed at the other driver.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Geoj posted:

Given that he made absolutely no discernible effort to avoid collision when he had at least a few seconds warning when the car started going sideways I'd say its directed at the other driver.

I watched it on a loop a few times, I saw the hood of the camera car lower as soon as the black car starts its spin. It's not a dive like you'd see with hard braking (which with the road conditions could have sent the camera car out of control) but it looks like he'd at least let off the throttle. You can even hear the tire hum slow down. Given 3 seconds to avoid a t-boning, I don't think many could have done better.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
after several months of boring motorcycle commutes, I get shitheels that almost kill me 2 days in a row:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0Ku8hCkf0&t=53s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isSEoDtMw1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM-m77bQk8U

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NoWake posted:

I watched it on a loop a few times, I saw the hood of the camera car lower as soon as the black car starts its spin. It's not a dive like you'd see with hard braking (which with the road conditions could have sent the camera car out of control) but it looks like he'd at least let off the throttle. You can even hear the tire hum slow down. Given 3 seconds to avoid a t-boning, I don't think many could have done better.

What's the timestamp of the hood dip? It doesn't appear to me that he does anything until the crash is inevitable, and took a "road conditions and physics be damned, you enter my lane at your own risk" stance on the situation. You can clearly see he's on the brakes at 19-20 seconds - the chunks of snow/ice to the left in front of his windshield start to roll forward - but by then there wasn't anything that could have prevented the accident.

I don't know, maybe working as a field tech for 8+ years (and driving more than anyone besides OTR truckers) just made me hyper-aware of poo poo like that but I would have been on my brakes/downshifting/looking for somewhere to go as soon as the pickup truck cut the car off mid-lane change.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NoWake posted:

Yeah, the major issue is that if the camera car had braked hard or swerved, it would've gone out of control as well and possibly involved even more people in the accident. That's why winter driving is difficult!

It's absurd that you can get an unrestricted driver's license in a country where snow is a regular occurrence without demonstrating an ability to drive in winter conditions (or even demonstrating knowledge of proper winter driving techniques).