Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Made of Meat

alnilam posted:

home made nog from scratch is extremely good actually

It's better made from eggs.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

alnilam posted:

home made nog from scratch is extremely good actually

also storebought nog IS gross

alnilam

Robot Made of Meat posted:

It's better made from eggs.

lol

well chickens eat scratch so in a roundabout sort of way it's made from scratch :colbert:

Piso Mojado

I need a good nog recipe, can you repost it poverty goat

joke_explainer

Piso Mojado posted:

I need a good nog recipe, can you repost it poverty goat

i reposted his recipe from the previous year right before he apologized for not posting it on his own, you can click
the quote button if you want to see his original post here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656838&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post452036218

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

please, post the nog

Piso Mojado

joke_explainer posted:

i reposted his recipe from the previous year right before he apologized for not posting it on his own, you can click
the quote button if you want to see his original post here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656838&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post452036218

Thx :)

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
meat-eating friends, i tried this lamb ragu recipe and it's real good(TM). i omitted the ricotta garnish because i didn't have it on hand. was skeptical about the fennel + cumin combo but actually it's really really good, and also reminded me to reorder fennel and cumin seeds. i think i like this better than my standard bolognese. orange complements the dish really well, though i'm not sure how to exploit that besides eating oranges or having a salad dressed with orange juice. e. oh yeah i only used 1 lb of meat because who the hell sells meat in 1.5 lb packages

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 21, 2016

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

meat-eating friends, i tried this lamb ragu recipe and it's real good(TM). i omitted the ricotta garnish because i didn't have it on hand. was skeptical about the fennel + cumin combo but actually it's really really good, and also reminded me to reorder fennel and cumin seeds. i think i like this better than my standard bolognese. orange complements the dish really well, though i'm not sure how to exploit that besides eating oranges or having a salad dressed with orange juice. e. oh yeah i only used 1 lb of meat because who the hell sells meat in 1.5 lb packages

orange and beet salad on the side? mandarin dressing over green beans, warm?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i'm makin the heck out of some patjuk with rice cake today for dongjitnal.

here's a maangchi post about it so you guys can do the patjuk dance with me: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dongji-patjuk

i did the bean cookery in the pressure cooker, deskinned them and mashed them in about 30 minutes. we'll make the rest tonight for dessert. patjuk is one of my favorite foods maybe in this entire world.

POOL IS CLOSED

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

orange and beet salad on the side? mandarin dressing over green beans, warm?

heck yas mandarin beans. (i still haven't gotten myself to really like beets :sigh: i used to eat the pickled ones as a kid but lost the taste for 'em)

i'm makin the heck out of some patjuk with rice cake today for dongjitnal.

here's a maangchi post about it so you guys can do the patjuk dance with me: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dongji-patjuk

i did the bean cookery in the pressure cooker, deskinned them and mashed them in about 30 minutes. we'll make the rest tonight for dessert. patjuk is one of my favorite foods maybe in this entire world.

now i feel a little guilty for going out on dongjitnal instead of cooking :eyepop:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

heck yas mandarin beans. (i still haven't gotten myself to really like beets :sigh: i used to eat the pickled ones as a kid but lost the taste for 'em)

now i feel a little guilty for going out on dongjitnal instead of cooking :eyepop:

never ever ever feel guilty for going out on dongjitnal because more side dishes for you!!!

POOL IS CLOSED

never ever ever feel guilty for going out on dongjitnal because more side dishes for you!!!

all i wanna do

is eat banchan

i got a feelin' i'm not the only one

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

all i wanna do

is eat banchan

i got a feelin' i'm not the only one

we're having day-late banchan party for lunch and i made sure to buy enough bean sprouts to feed a small army (me, i'm the army). there's persimmon punch too. so goooood.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Christmas Brunch

We've got some egg strata, made with egg, bread, spicy sausage, Muenster, and Colby Jack cheese. I forgot to take a picture of the strata when it first came out of the oven, hence the fuzzy picture that was taken quickly before I grabbed some for myself after a bunch of people had already dug in.

Next, some breakfast potatoes, I par baked the potatoes yesterday and diced them once they were cooled. Caramelized some onions, seasoned with salt, pepper, a touch of cayenne, and paprika. Then a fruit salad with pineapple, cantaloupe, and honeydew. Pretty straightforward, but I did toss in a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.

Next up we've got biscuits and gravy. The gravy was made with spicy Italian sausage, caramelized onions, milk, salt, pepper, a little soy sauce, Worcestershire, and lemon juice, and thickened with roux. I cheated and bought frozen biscuit dough (I'm not much of a baker.) I probably could have found a recipe and made decent scratch biscuits, but I figured I had enough going on.

I am really proud of the glazed bone-in ham. I took the scrap from the pineapple, all of the skin that had fruit on it, plus the core, and simmered that with cinnamon sticks, lemon juice, cloves, star anise, a tiny chunk of whole nutmeg, some pink peppercorns, and a couple of bay leaves. Strained that off after about 2 hours, and combined it with some apple juice, orange juice, maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and a splash of lemon juice. Reduced that to a glaze. Baked at 325 for about 2 hours, brushing the glaze on every 15 minutes or so, and drained off the liquid that was coming out of ham whenever I pulled it out to glaze. Pulled it out to rest about an hour before everything else was done. Before it was time to eat, I gave it one last nice thick coating of glaze and put it back in the oven at 400 to get it nice and caramelized.

The sticky pull apart bread was my girlfriend's contribution. Not exactly sure what she did, but it involves frozen soft dinner roll dough, which you leave in a silicone mold in the oven (off obviously) overnight to thaw and rise. There's jello butterscotch puddind powder, brown sugar, and pecans as well.

And brunch without mimosas is just a sad, late breakfast.

Merry Christmas BYOB!

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 26, 2016

Robot Made of Meat

om nom nom posted:

Christmas Brunch

We've got some egg strata, made with egg, bread, spicy sausage, Muenster, and Colby Jack cheese. I forgot to take a picture of the strata when it first came out of the oven, hence the fuzzy picture that was taken quickly before I grabbed some for myself after a bunch of people had already dug in.

Next, some breakfast potatoes, I par baked the potatoes yesterday and diced them once they were cooled. Caramelized some onions, seasoned with salt, pepper, a touch of cayenne, and paprika. Then a fruit salad with pineapple, cantaloupe, and honeydew. Pretty straightforward, but I did toss in a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.

Next up we've got biscuits and gravy. The gravy was made with spicy Italian sausage, caramelized onions, milk, salt, pepper, a little soy sauce, Worcestershire, and lemon juice, and thickened with roux. I cheated and bought frozen biscuit dough (I'm not much of a baker.) I probably could have found a recipe and made decent scratch biscuits, but I figured I had enough going on.

I am really proud of the glazed bone-in ham. I took the scrap from the pineapple, all of the skin that had fruit on it, plus the core, and simmered that with cinnamon sticks, lemon juice, cloves, star anise, a tiny chunk of whole nutmeg, some pink peppercorns, and a couple of bay leaves. Strained that off after about 2 hours, and combined it with some apple juice, orange juice, maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and a splash of lemon juice. Reduced that to a glaze. Baked at 325 for about 2 hours, brushing the glaze on every 15 minutes or so, and drained off the liquid that was coming out of ham whenever I pulled it out to glaze. Pulled it out to rest about an hour before everything else was done. Before it was time to eat, I gave it one last nice thick coating of glaze and put it back in the oven at 400 to get it nice and caramelized.

The sticky pull apart bread was my girlfriend's contribution. Not exactly sure what she did, but it involves frozen soft dinner roll dough, which you leave in a silicone mold in the oven (off obviously) overnight to thaw and rise. There's jello butterscotch puddind powder, brown sugar, and pecans as well.

And brunch without mimosas is just a sad, late breakfast.

Merry Christmas BYOB!

Om Nom Nom indeed!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

monkey bread!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Christmas is time for Porchetta. If you don't favor looking at meat, zip past this.

Porchetta, for those unforunate not to know, is a slow cooked pork belly roast. I ordered the meat special from a fancy we-can-give-you-this-animal's-life-story butcher. When I called and said Porchetta, the woman on the other end of the line said oh yeah we can help you. When I picked it up a few days before Christmas, we chatted about pork and she said she had a porchetta sous vide at that very moment. I considered divorce but thought better of it.

Here you can see the whole piece of meat. Note the nipple. Porchetta's a simple dish at its heart so what you see in the picture is what went into the roast minus the salt and pepper. Herbs (sage and thyme), Thinly sliced garlic. And the secret weapon - fennel pollen.

Here's the belly flipped over. I asked to have the loin portion kept on. It was sliced in several places to add more nooks and crannies for delicious flavors.

Here I have scored the pork skin. A necessary step to have the fat render out during the cook. Also I stabbed it a bunch with a paring knife. I might have also smacked it with a meat tenderizer. I hosed that skin up.

Tons of salt, pepper, garlic and all the herbs plus a measured dose of fennel pollen. Seriously. Fennel pollen is amazing but a little goes a long way.

Tie it up! Now stick it in the refrigerator uncovered for two days so the skin can dry up and all the salt and flavors can work its way through the meat.

Appreciate Christmas.

Have a Christmas morning.

Now stick the meat in the oven for a bunch of hours.

FutonForensic

oh my god

om nom nom

That is some beautiful meat you've got there Bo. But all I can focus on is that global knife. Personally, globals are far from my favorite knives. If you ever feel like a very reasonably priced upgrade, Tojiro knives are practically a steal. This series is made with VG-10 stainless, the same steel as Misono's UX10 series, which are some of my favorite knives. They take a serious edge with minimal effort, and keeps it well as long as you take care of it and hone it regularly (i use ceramic but I'm sure a good quality regular steel is fine)

Nakiri

Santoku

I'm just guessing from the picture that these would be the style and size you would like. These are my favorite knives to recommend to serious home cooks, and I've seen plenty stand up to daily use in the professional kitchen. I've got a Tojiro pairing knife, a misono gyoto, bread knife and hankotsu, a JCK honesuki, a Kikuichi deba, and my absolute favorite and workhorse that gets used all day every day, a Takeda sasanoha. The Tojiro is by far the cheapest brand I own but still holds up as far as quality goes, and along with my Misonos is the easiest to put an edge on.

joke_explainer

looks like it didn't really want to roll up well, but that's ok. still looks amazing. The perfect-roundness is just for show. And even cooking, but it'll be fine, its slow cooked pork, really not going to gently caress it up too much.

What's wrong with sous vide porchetta? Not like you are going to eat it out of the bag without searing it, or better yet, [deep frying it](http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-deep-fried-sous-vide-36-hour-all-belly-porchetta-slideshow.html)

I did the turkey porchetta on the previous page and that was loving amazing

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

om nom nom posted:

That is some beautiful meat you've got there Bo. But all I can focus on is that global knife. Personally, globals are far from my favorite knives. If you ever feel like a very reasonably priced upgrade, Tojiro knives are practically a steal. This series is made with VG-10 stainless, the same steel as Misono's UX10 series, which are some of my favorite knives. They take a serious edge with minimal effort, and keeps it well as long as you take care of it and hone it regularly (i use ceramic but I'm sure a good quality regular steel is fine)

Nakiri

Santoku

this is relevant to my interests. I have some globals I've been thinking about passing on to my stepmother (she's using some store-brand disasters right now), and had been looking at Tojiros. (specifically Tojiro-PRO DP cobalt alloy steel interrupt Santoku 170mmF-895 (japan import) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001TPFUXC/ )

I have also been thinking about a whetstone, but I'm afraid I'll mess up the edge by being dumb. is that a reasonable fear?

om nom nom

Subjunctive posted:

this is relevant to my interests. I have some globals I've been thinking about passing on to my stepmother (she's using some store-brand disasters right now), and had been looking at Tojiros. (specifically Tojiro-PRO DP cobalt alloy steel interrupt Santoku 170mmF-895 (japan import) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001TPFUXC/ )

I have also been thinking about a whetstone, but I'm afraid I'll mess up the edge by being dumb. is that a reasonable fear?

You can theoretically mess up an edge doing it wrong, but like anything, after some practice, it will become very natural. I'd recommend starting by practicing on a cheap knife you don't care about, Kiwi brand are decent knives that are available at a lot of Asian markets, and run in the $3-$7 range. And even if you do wind up dulling the edge by sharpening at the wrong angle, you can't really damage it in a way that you can't unfuck by slowing down and sharpening it properly.

There are lots of sharpening how-tos on YouTube, watch a few of those. There are several methods people use, spend some time watching different people sharpen different ways, and try a few methods out and go with whatever feels natural to you. Go nice and slow and deliberate in the beginning, you will develop muscle memory, and it becomes very easy and natural after some practice.

The best piece of advice I got from the chef that taught me how to sharpen is to picture the height of 2 pennies, and use that as your sharpening angle. So many instructions tell you something super specific, like holding the knife at a 17.5 degree angle, which I find super impractical as something to picture/estimate while in the middle of sharpening. Picturing 2 pennies works great for most 50/50 beveled knives.

But I would highly recommend buying a stone, or a few of varying grits, and learning how to use it. After some practice, you will be able to put an edge on your knife way better than the factory edge. You will be able to adjust the bevel to your liking. Once you get really good, and if you invest into some higher grit stones, you can get your edge polished to a mirror finish, which I find to be really asthectically pleasing

The stones I have, which I feel are the best on the market, are Shapton ceramic stones. That's a starter kit that comes with 2 stones (1k and 4k grit), the holder, a felt block for deburring, and a jeweler's loupe for inspecting the blade. They are kind of pricy, but that starter kit is a great deal, and they are much denser and will last longer than your standard stone. Most water stones need to be soaked for 10+ minutes so that they are saturated before you can sharpen with them, these ceramic stones just need to be splashed with water, so there is less time involved setting up to do your sharpening.

This is a good starter combination stone that's quite a bit cheaper, but will definitely get the job done. They probably sell a stand for it, but unlike the shapton stones which are really thin, it's not necessary. The stone is tall enough that you really just need to set it up on a wet towel, like you would a cutting board. This one, or something similar, is probably the better option while you are learning. Depending upon how dull your knives are, you may want to look into a 500 grit stone as well to start with for either option, but if you are looking into Tojiros, they come with a solid factory edge, and 1000 grit will be a fine stone to start with, as long as you maintain the edge.

poverty goat

I got 2 nice sets of japanese knives for xmas and I've been sweating over what to do with them. Maybe you guys can help me decide what to do.

All I have is a lovely henckels santoku which I love even though it's never sharp. I thought I'd round out my set a bit and ask for this tojiro DP chef knife/paring knife set for xmas and replace the santoku down the road, since I figure a heavier euro style chef knife and a santoku cover all the bases pretty well

My parents gave me that set, then by coincidence I got a second set of gyuto and petty knife from my sister. All knives in this post are VG-10, but these are damascus. The gyuto is very nice and feels great to hold but it's lighter and narrower. I think if I had to make do with one knife it'd be a great middleground between santoku and chef knife but since I don't it's going to get sidelined by the chef knife when I need something heavier and the santoku when I want something more agile.

I'm thinking I'll keep the tojiros and exchange the gyuto for a santoku from the same set or maybe just get the Misono santoku I was considering originally. I really don't give a gently caress about damascus and would prefer unadorned steel, tbh. Also do I really need a $130 damascus petty knife? seems ridiculous

Barnes And Body Works

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

um.. give me please?

Vanisher made my super slick sig.

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

om nom nom posted:

[fantastic sharpening advice]

while storing Christmas stuff I rediscovered this Edge Pro Apex that I was given years ago, and gave it a whirl. they recommended 20 degrees for kitchen knives, but I'll probably cheat it lower next time. it has 320 and 800 stones, which is a bit awkward, though it also comes with polishing tapes. holding the angle is definitely straightforward, which is nice.

if I got some cheap knives to practice with, would I just cut stuff to dull them and practice again? run them against a sheet pan? throw them at my enemies?

poverty goat

I was looking for a set of stones to learn to sharpen my own poo poo but I ended up buying a cheapass all-metal edge pro knockoff w/ a set of legit edge pro stones (600/1200/6000) and a digital angle measure for around :100bux:

om nom nom

poverty goat posted:

I got 2 nice sets of japanese knives for xmas and I've been sweating over what to do with them. Maybe you guys can help me decide what to do.

All I have is a lovely henckels santoku which I love even though it's never sharp. I thought I'd round out my set a bit and ask for this tojiro DP chef knife/paring knife set for xmas and replace the santoku down the road, since I figure a heavier euro style chef knife and a santoku cover all the bases pretty well

My parents gave me that set, then by coincidence I got a second set of gyuto and petty knife from my sister. All knives in this post are VG-10, but these are damascus. The gyuto is very nice and feels great to hold but it's lighter and narrower. I think if I had to make do with one knife it'd be a great middleground between santoku and chef knife but since I don't it's going to get sidelined by the chef knife when I need something heavier and the santoku when I want something more agile.

I'm thinking I'll keep the tojiros and exchange the gyuto for a santoku from the same set or maybe just get the Misono santoku I was considering originally. I really don't give a gently caress about damascus and would prefer unadorned steel, tbh. Also do I really need a $130 damascus petty knife? seems ridiculous

I like Misonos a lot, as I mentioned earlier, the UX10 series is probably my favorite series. They are super light weight though, which some people don't like-definitely more so than the VG-10 Tojitoros. I like the fact that they are really light weight, less wrist fatigue of I'm spending the day cutting cases of onions or whatever. But at that level of knife it's all personal preference.

Subjunctive posted:

while storing Christmas stuff I rediscovered this Edge Pro Apex that I was given years ago, and gave it a whirl. they recommended 20 degrees for kitchen knives, but I'll probably cheat it lower next time. it has 320 and 800 stones, which is a bit awkward, though it also comes with polishing tapes. holding the angle is definitely straightforward, which is nice.

if I got some cheap knives to practice with, would I just cut stuff to dull them and practice again? run them against a sheet pan? throw them at my enemies?

Doing a chopping motion on a cutting board (like the Swedish chef style bringing the whole knife up and down rapidly) without actually chopping anything is a pretty quick way to dull a knife, especially a cheap one. Another option is to rub it back and forth on the side of the stone, where the two halves meet if you use a combination stone. The sheetpan thing would work, but a sharp edge on metal is like nails on a chalkboard to me, I hate the sound and how it feels on my knife hand.

alnilam

i know a good way to quickly dull your knife and at the same time likely harm yourself and definitely psychologically torture bo pepper

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

the easiest way to gently caress up a knife:

joke_explainer

this physically hurts to see

alnilam

Don't look bo :/

om nom nom

joke_explainer posted:

this physically hurts to see

Same. I have never understood why glass cutting boards are even a thing. I can't think of many things that would be worse for your knife, aside from cutting on a granite countertop or using your whetstone as a cutting board.

social vegan

have you tried throwing it at rocks in the backyard and pretending they are enemies of naruto

poverty goat

poverty goat posted:

I was looking for a set of stones to learn to sharpen my own poo poo but I ended up buying a cheapass all-metal edge pro knockoff w/ a set of legit edge pro stones (600/1200/6000) and a digital angle measure for around :100bux:

i spent the day practicing sharpening all my old hand-me-down non-hanzo steel with this. the foolproof steel construction was undermined by the lovely wingscrews, one of whose heads was spinning uselessly on its post and had to be drilled out before I could do anything with it. Some edges were rough and needed sanding including the central track which was initially too snug for the guide to move easily up and down. The handle when fully extended is heavy enough to lift the fulcrum and mess up angle and it was much easier to control and feel that i was making good level contact with the blade without it but that puts my hand in clear and present danger so I should really put a piece of wood on there. i expected most of this because of amazon reviews so its kind of built into the $20 price point

once I got it working it did a good job and I'm satisfied with my $200 savings versus a real one

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

om nom nom posted:

Same. I have never understood why glass cutting boards are even a thing. I can't think of many things that would be worse for your knife, aside from cutting on a granite countertop or using your whetstone as a cutting board.

You don't use your whetstone as a cutting board?!! You NEVER have to sharpen it, seriously!

<3 <3 Vanisher

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

m ... mods?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

*bursts into tears*

om nom nom

If anyonwn can name the breeds of hog in my avatar, no google allowed, I will
Buy you plat or no archives or whatever you don't have :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

is this supposed to be difficult? anybody who went to local pork contests would know, it's clearly a basque line, probably british saddleback