Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bimmi posted:

This is all going to end in tears, isn't it.

Series Composition: Okada Mari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tamba posted:

Series Composition: Okada ":ohdear:" Mari

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't envy Orga the choices he has to make here. Things being what they are, trying to tell Mika not to fight anymore would probably be crueler than having him continue to fight.

That said, I think the other characters are misunderstanding the Orga/Mika power dynamic. Orga is nominally in charge and Mika will go along with almost anything Orga says, but Mika has proven that he reserves the right to completely ignore or veto any decision that Orga makes that he doesn't agree with; that's how Mika ended up in this situation to begin with, after all.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Mikazuki has such an intimate relationship with barbatos. Setsuna would be jealous.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Two clear signs that everything is seriously going to poo poo - Atra losing her cool and jumping on the 'horrifyingly bad decisions' bandwagon, and Mikazuki actually raising his voice in a fight. Seriously, that little bit during the Hashmal battle was creepy as hell.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kanos posted:

I don't envy Orga the choices he has to make here. Things being what they are, trying to tell Mika not to fight anymore would probably be crueler than having him continue to fight.

That said, I think the other characters are misunderstanding the Orga/Mika power dynamic. Orga is nominally in charge and Mika will go along with almost anything Orga says, but Mika has proven that he reserves the right to completely ignore or veto any decision that Orga makes that he doesn't agree with; that's how Mika ended up in this situation to begin with, after all.

I think the old man understands.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm behind and catching up and: oh Aston :smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Darth Walrus posted:

Two clear signs that everything is seriously going to poo poo - Atra losing her cool and jumping on the 'horrifyingly bad decisions' bandwagon, and Mikazuki actually raising his voice in a fight. Seriously, that little bit during the Hashmal battle was creepy as hell.

Yeah, Mika actually getting riled up was loving terrifying, and I didn't understand why at first. He hasn't really been like that at all for the entire show so far, so it really stood out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, Mika actually getting riled up was loving terrifying, and I didn't understand why at first. He hasn't really been like that at all for the entire show so far, so it really stood out.

Mika also got hosed up in a way we haven't seen in his fights before.

Previously, when a fight ends he's still been standing, but this time, a Spinner Rodi could have dropped him if it stumbled past the other suits on site.

Impaled, an arm missing, armor totaled... Barbatos was almost in as bad a shape as Mika when the mobile armor dropped.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's kind of hosed up that they can't be bothered to get Mika a damned wheelchair.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kanos posted:

It's kind of hosed up that they can't be bothered to get Mika a damned wheelchair.

Do you think they have one?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

But its way funnier having Hush be his manservant and be completely blase about it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I was hoping Hush and Mika would be in a Master Blaster situation.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tae posted:

Do you think they have one?

I'm pretty sure that Yukinojo can MacGuyver together a wheelchair with a small motor even if the entire planet of Mars somehow doesn't have a single wheelchair available for purchase. These are the technicians that managed to restore a 300 year old Gundam frame to functionality with no resources and then kept it running for half a season by bolting random parts of the mobile suits it killed to it, after all.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Atra yelling at Kudelia and Mika being mancarried were both comedy moments guys.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Atra yelling at Kudelia and Mika being mancarried were both comedy moments guys.

Eh, I'd say they were half comedy, half 'oh jesus this is hosed up guys'. You know, a bit of bathos to underline how outlandish the situation currently is.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Mika not being able to stand somehow manages to make an already small person seem even smaller.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Kanos posted:

I bet they do but Mika just lets Hush carry him cause it's faster and easier.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, I'd say they were half comedy, half 'oh jesus this is hosed up guys'. You know, a bit of bathos to underline how outlandish the situation currently is.

Yeah, I think I reacted pretty strongly because I've had experience with seeing people lose body function like that despite remaining mentally intact so my gut response to the scene was "holy poo poo at least give him some agency and dignity back". The Hush and Atra/Kudelia scenes were pretty clearly intended for chuckles at least on some levels, especially how Hush is so completely blase about it to the point where Atra mentions that Mika periodically just goes missing, like he calls Hush and says "yeah we're going to wander the base as man and potato bag".

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

"well I can't be a farmer anymore, so I'll just fight until I loving die"

loving hell this show can be bleak. Great episode though. It's just shows how messed up Mika is if he's still not having any reservations about getting back in the gundam.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

paragon1 posted:

Mika not being able to stand somehow manages to make an already small person seem even smaller.

Yeah I noticed that too, especially when he was talking to Orga and had to practically break his neck to look up at him; it added an extra layer of 'wrong' and really made him look like the child he's supposed to be. IBO is so good at making you feel uncomfortable about things you should be uncomfortable about.

Overlord K posted:

I bet they do but Mika just lets Hush carry him cause it's faster and easier.

If I were in his position I'd do the same, if you can't travel in barbatos might as well use the hushpuppy.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
One other thing is that up until now Mika has been the executioner for whoever Orga needs murked. As of now we wont see any more scenes of Mika shooting dudes straight in the head, and instead his kill count will be solely from combat kills.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
He's still got one arm.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So bit of an interesting note that my more obsessive friend brought up with me today. Gundam eye color in this series tends to match the use/level of use of AV by the pilot:

The Guison and Kimaris both have yellow eyes, as do all of the Graze variants seen throughout the first season, and none of those have an AV system installed.

When the Guison is upgraded it now has the same green eyes as the Barbatos, the Asteroth, and the newest Ryusei Go (Flauros).

The Garbage Can Ein had a red eye when it got serious and opened its visor, unlike the yellow eye of your typical graze, which would match what we saw from Barbatos when it similarly went all out.

Likely just a cute artistic touch at best, since the simplest answer is that the Guison still had the green eyes under the visor they'd jammed over it, and that the Kimaris had simply been remodeled, but it is a pretty nifty touch all the same. It also lends a little credence to the idea of Einborg as the purple eyes on the Vidar are fairly unique.

Edit: Also, while going back through the first season, I have to reiterate how satisfying it is to see Ein just get stabbed through the cockpit like a bitch in the middle of his crazed rant. God he is such a trash character.

Caros fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 26, 2016

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Caros posted:

Edit: Also, while going back through the first season, I have to reiterate how satisfying it is to see Ein just get stabbed through the cockpit like a bitch in the middle of his crazed rant. God he is such a trash character.

I love the dub's Ein because he really nails being an unhinged sack of crazy once he's Einborg'd.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, I gave up on watching the second season after a friend of mine told me it has the same flaws as S1-Naze being treated as the Second loving Coming,the villains being lovely and unthreatening while the "heroes" barely break a sweat,etc. But,I've been thinking lately-should I give it a shot,or was my friend right?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

So, I gave up on watching the second season after a friend of mine told me it has the same flaws as S1-Naze being treated as the Second loving Coming,the villains being lovely and unthreatening while the "heroes" barely break a sweat,etc. But,I've been thinking lately-should I give it a shot,or was my friend right?
It still has that issue with Naze but he seems to be in it less at least. I dunno that the villains are more threatening than they were in season 1 necessarily but they're more interesting now as characters IMO.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The thing about the villains is twofold. First, the main antagonists are more dangerous, either through competence or weapons-grade incompetence, and do make Tekkadan bleed. Second, they're not the true villains, although they do bad things. This season is about exploring the darker aspects of Tekkadan that were touched upon in the first season. They're now allied with the big bad, and it's wearing them down and bringing their worst, most culty elements to the fore as they slowly burn through members, alternative options, and their own humanity. Naze's still a good guy, but he's being indirectly criticised through Orga, and has done one very foolish thing that will probably be his downfall.

The tension doesn't come from the antagonists winning - at that point, that might be a small, weird kind of mercy. It comes from what they're pushing Tekkadan to, and from whether they'll be able to stop what they've awoken.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Ka0 posted:

They're only comedy moments on the surface. Taken at face value, yeah, it's funny, but the intent behind the scenes are really depressing and just highlight how hosed Mika is.

Atra is painfully aware that they're going to lose Mika and it either hasn't occurred to her or she believes she is incapable of stopping him. So she's thinking ahead to how she can keep at least a part of Mika around and to her, the only answer she can think of is a baby to carry his legacy. It's interesting that she asked Kudelia instead of, uh, offering herself.

Hush carrying Mika around just highlights how helpless he is outside of barbatos and how much he's lost because of his piloting. Before he could get around and there was still hope of being a farmer, but now? And everyone knows it's only going to get worse.

A lot of characters, Mika included, seem to have accepted that he is going to die fighting and that it'll probably be soon, and no one is really doing anything to try to change his fate. I doubt they could as long as Mika believes it's the only way for him to move forward, but it would be nice for someone to at least try. The most likely candidate is Kudelia, but I think if Orga pulled back on his ambitions (hahahahaha mr. king of mars or bust) it would give Mika the breathing room to consider that it's ok for him to live.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Adel posted:

They're only comedy moments on the surface. Taken at face value, yeah, it's funny, but the intent behind the scenes are really depressing and just highlight how hosed Mika is.

Atra is painfully aware that they're going to lose Mika and it either hasn't occurred to her or she believes she is incapable of stopping him. So she's thinking ahead to how she can keep at least a part of Mika around and to her, the only answer she can think of is a baby to carry his legacy. It's interesting that she asked Kudelia instead of, uh, offering herself.

Hush carrying Mika around just highlights how helpless he is outside of barbatos and how much he's lost because of his piloting. Before he could get around and there was still hope of being a farmer, but now? And everyone knows it's only going to get worse.

A lot of characters, Mika included, seem to have accepted that he is going to die fighting and that it'll probably be soon, and no one is really doing anything to try to change his fate. I doubt they could as long as Mika believes it's the only way for him to move forward, but it would be nice for someone to at least try. The most likely candidate is Kudelia, but I think if Orga pulled back on his ambitions (hahahahaha mr. king of mars or bust) it would give Mika the breathing room to consider that it's ok for him to live.

I don't think Atra's given up on Mika, I think she's trying to baby-trap him. You know, counting on a new kid to bring some joy and stability into his life and a responsibility he can't run away from. It's a horrible idea, but a pretty common desperation move for people in failing relationships. You know, just to add a little realism to all this grimness. :smith:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently Ride has some uh, "interesting" politics

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

VolticSurge posted:

Your friend was wrong.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX-pQAZDXI0
Walk Hush, walk! Enter the room!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Apparently Ride has some uh, "interesting" politics

I thought it was a play on words on his name and certain thunder god but the imagery is still unfortunate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I thought it was a play on words on his name and certain thunder god but the imagery is still unfortunate.

'Raiden' is the Japanese word for lightning. The guy from Mortal Kombat just has a very... uhh... descriptive name.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

VolticSurge posted:

So, I gave up on watching the second season after a friend of mine told me it has the same flaws as S1-Naze being treated as the Second loving Coming,the villains being lovely and unthreatening while the "heroes" barely break a sweat,etc.

Your friend's a huge idiot.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

'Raiden' is the Japanese word for lightning. The guy from Mortal Kombat just has a very... uhh... descriptive name.

I'm pretty sure raijin has like 5 loving names and one of them is raiden.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm pretty sure raijin has like 5 loving names and one of them is raiden.

Kind of, but only in that it literally translates as Lord Lightning. It's a job description more than his actual name.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Your friend's a huge idiot.

Though if you didn't like the first season then the second probably won't do it for you either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Setting the ground work for McGillis's Neo Gjallahorn imagery. Looks rad.

• Locked thread