Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Yeah thinking about it mass sterilization of the lower social classes is bad for me because at some point I wouldn't have anyone left to exploit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rational self-interest benefits all classes.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

It's not that hard considering I live in Madrid,

Durr me no read good.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 25, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Is there another source for that story other that Drudge Report?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Did none of you idiots read the article? It was about women CHOOSING sterilization. Going out of their way to attend "sterilization days" where the procedure is cheaper or free. This isn't being forced on them except that the economic situation is making sterilization preferable.

While women have been (and are being) sterilized without being asked (especially here in the States), the article wasn't about that.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
D&D leftists are so pathetic they avoid this thread during the day to day discussion of starvation, despiration and death caused by the PSUV only to come clown carring in when some poor Venezuelan goon says something not PC.

They give no shits about the starving children Venezuela's "healthcare system" cannot help yet go nuts when a culture outside their own has to make difficult decisions to try and do something about the massive human tragedy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pity Party Animal posted:

D&D leftists are so pathetic they avoid this thread during the day to day discussion of starvation, despiration and death caused by the PSUV only to come clown carring in when some poor Venezuelan goon says something not PC.

They give no shits about the starving children Venezuela's "healthcare system" cannot help yet go nuts when a culture outside their own has to make difficult decisions to try and do something about the massive human tragedy.

Nice meltdown dude, but mandatory sterilization is literally a Nazi idea.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It predates the nazis..

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
its not like we have anything meaningful to contribute other than sympathy

if its voluntary then whatever though, i am assuming a lot of folks would rather not be having kids right now so good for them

but of course we are only gonna weigh in on the superficial stuff, for the rest of it i just read and stay up to date and share the info because what the hell else is there to do

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I think forced sterilization goes a little bit beyond "not PC," tbh.

"Heh, you don't like forced sterilization? What an SJW.:smug:"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Donald Trump just was elected president of the United States. Time to reset your outrage meter magorician.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't think anyone can in good conscience argue in favor of forced loving sterilization and that El Hefe went too far in expressing his sentiments.

Honestly it seems like a great idea. Pregnancy gets out of control in Venezuela's lower class due to terrible sexual education and I'm sure at least once my friends have told me that condoms aren't easy to find or expensive at that period in time.

I can't loving imagine how difficult it must be to be pregnant, give birth then raise a newborn in a family that's already struggling daily. I think every single couple I know that had a kid in the past 5 years has fled the country to the first place they could kind of plan.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Donald Trump just was elected president of the United States. Time to reset your outrage meter magorician.

LOL you think I can only be outraged by one thing at a time.:allears:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

LOL you think I can only be outraged by one thing at a time.:allears:

Majackinitoriatoreceasarromanianiankikanican

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I don't think anyone can in good conscience argue in favor of forced loving sterilization and that El Hefe went too far in expressing his sentiments.

Honestly it seems like a great idea. Pregnancy gets out of control in Venezuela's lower class due to terrible sexual education and I'm sure at least once my friends have told me that condoms aren't easy to find or expensive at that period in time.

I can't loving imagine how difficult it must be to be pregnant, give birth then raise a newborn in a family that's already struggling daily. I think every single couple I know that had a kid in the past 5 years has fled the country to the first place they could kind of plan.

Nor can I. I cannot even imagine what kind of struggle it is to live day to day in Venezuela or have family there. To not know if tomorrow your family might have starved, been murdered, kidnapped or disappeared by who knows who. So have some understanding, mods and readers, when a Venegoon gets a little frustrated and lets it out here.

fishmech posted:

Nice meltdown dude, but mandatory sterilization is literally a Nazi idea.

I fishmeched fishmech! A Christmas miracle!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nor can I. I cannot even imagine what kind of struggle it is to live day to day in Venezuela or have family there. To not know if tomorrow your family might have starved, been murdered, kidnapped or disappeared by who knows who. So have some understanding, mods and readers, when a Venegoon gets a little frustrated and lets it out here.

I fishmeched fishmech! A Christmas miracle!

People who start saying Hitler had some good ideas when they get frustrated need some serious help, in my opinion. Especially people saying it for a country run by a dictator already.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

fishmech posted:

People who start saying Hitler had some good ideas when they get frustrated need some serious help, in my opinion. Especially people saying it for a country run by a dictator already.
It's almost like situations were you push society to the breaking point benefit the elite by pitting the general population against each other in a brutal competition for perceived luxuries that used to be commonplace.

M. Discordia
Apr 30, 2003

by Smythe
Jacobin's designated pro-Maduro columnist (whose monthly pro-regime pieces include "the colectivos don't exist" from August) has been censured by his employer, Drexel University, for tweeting a call for "white genocide."

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

M. Discordia posted:

Jacobin's designated pro-Maduro columnist (whose monthly pro-regime pieces include "the colectivos don't exist" from August) has been censured by his employer, Drexel University, for tweeting a call for "white genocide."

Wait, that's George Ciccariello :allears: that guy is an insufferable prick that's been defending the revolution for years now. I've seen him literally laugh in the face of people that say there's a crisis in Venezuela. According to his logic, if things were so bad, people wouldn't be queuing at all. All the queues are actually a sign of high purchasing power, you see. He's basically a semi-literate Jimmy.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
George Ciccariello is the worst kind of "academic", although I hesitate to call him that. He's abrasive, willfully ignorant, close-minded and intellectually cowardly.

I remember that in early July I was looking through his Twitter feed. It was full of the angry ramblings you'd expect to hear from that one kid in high school people didn't like hanging out with because he always launched into threatening rants and you were never quite sure that he was joking when he said he'd shoot up the school. Anyway, I distinctly remember that one of his tweets was "Kill the pigs". Edgy!

Very shortly after (within that same week), the Dallas Police shooting happened. I went back to his Twitter page to see if he'd said anything about the shooting, and to see if his old tweet was still there, but he had deleted it.

You should have the backbone to stand by (or, leave yourself open to correction) what you've said in the past or the emotional/mental maturity to control your outbursts.

EDIT: Apparently the offending tweet was "All I want for Christmas is white genocide". Yeah, this is a guy I want to pay thousands of dollars in tuition to learn from :allears:

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 26, 2016

fnox
May 19, 2013

It's always pleasant to see George Ciccariello eat poo poo.

KK
Dec 26, 2016

by Lowtax
egads, my dick has become entangled within the confines of a particularly poorly-maintained screw press!

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
It's kinda sad to see a lot of academics on twitter engage in a defense of George Ciccariello for being a shitposting edge-lord who fellates Maduro's govt.

M. Discordia
Apr 30, 2003

by Smythe

AmericanBarbarian posted:

It's kinda sad to see a lot of academics on twitter engage in a defense of George Ciccariello for being a shitposting edge-lord who fellates Maduro's govt.

They're very oppressed by the capitalist system, that's why they get paid by the government to sit around and post treason on Twitter all day.

HarlequinRatDance
Dec 26, 2016

by Cowcaster
hi i'm dare

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I think George will come out the hero. He'll either get fired and become a martyr, or stay at his post and be vindicated. I hope that he'll at least develop the good sense to lay off Twitter.

John Stuart Mill said something that applies here. I'm paraphrasing heavily, but it goes something like this: limiting the freedom of expression is more hurtful to those who disagree with the opinion than to those who agree. Limiting freedom of expression robs us of the truth if the opinion is correct, and of knowing that we are correct if the opinion is wrong. So, as repulsive as I find George, I think that we actually need him around to do his thing. That doesn't mean that his employer can't take issue with what he says, though :clint:

Anyway, now for some thread-specific content:

I didn't catch this at the time, but apparently Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said on his Christmas address that he wanted to make Colombia a very close NATO partner. The Venezuelan Ministry of Foreign Affairs reacted to the news by issuing this statement [emphasis mine because I think it's ridiculous]:

quote:

The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela expresses its profound concern and rejection of the announcement by the President of the Republic of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos, over the start of talks in order to cement a military cooperation agreement between Colombia and NATO.

This announcement breaks the promise that President Santos made in 2010 before President Hugo Chavez of not entering into a military alliance with NATO.

The Venezuelan government is firmly opposed to this attempt to introduce external factors with nuclear capabilities in our region, whose past and recent acts revive the politics of war, break bilateral and regional agreements to which Colombia adheres (UNASUR, CELAC) which have declared Latin American and the Caribbean a Peace Zone. This announcement dishonours the Bandung Principles, which gave origin to the Non-Aligned Movement, which expressively prohibits its member states from entering military alliances.

The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela will take all diplomatic and political measures to stop warmongering organizations on a pernicious path of war and violence in the world to disturb the peace in our region.

The Bolivarian government of Venezuela, in the spirit of the union of the Patria Grande [a reference to the fact that Colombia and Venezuela were once one country], calls on the Colombian government to not generate elements of destabilization and war in South America, and wishes that it listen to the historic call for peace and unity that our liberators made.

NO TO NATO IN SOUTH AMERICA!!!!
NO TO WAR!!!

In other news, Jesus Torrealba (the head of the MUD) said in an interview that the opposition should give up trying to get rid of Maduro, since that goal is now "beyond the horizon". He said that the MUD should instead focus on winning the regional elections which were supposed to have happened already but that the government cancelled just because. There's absolutely no guarantee that the elections will take place at all as long as Maduro is in power, so why Torrealba thinks its a good idea to chase that rabbit is beyond me.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 26, 2016

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Chuck Boone posted:

In other news, Jesus Torrealba (the head of the MUD) said in an interview that the opposition should give up trying to get rid of Maduro, since that goal is now "beyond the horizon". He said that the MUD should instead focus on winning the regional elections which were supposed to have happened already but that the government cancelled just because. There's absolutely no guarantee that the elections will take place at all as long as Maduro is in power, so why Torrealba thinks its a good idea to chase that rabbit is beyond me.

I know a lot of hay is made in this thread about how the country is a complete kleptocracy where those in charge only care about the bottom line and gently caress you got mine, but what are the odds that the PSUV/SEBIN/Armed Forces/[idk, insert power player here] cut the heads of the opposition a deal in exchange for them to talk a tough(ish) opposition game but in actuality be completely useless? Incompetency and fear may be a large part of MUD failure and I have nothing to back up the above, just musing.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vlex posted:

I know a lot of hay is made in this thread about how the country is a complete kleptocracy where those in charge only care about the bottom line and gently caress you got mine, but what are the odds that the PSUV/SEBIN/Armed Forces/[idk, insert power player here] cut the heads of the opposition a deal in exchange for them to talk a tough(ish) opposition game but in actuality be completely useless? Incompetency and fear may be a large part of MUD failure and I have nothing to back up the above, just musing.

This is something almost every Venezuelan fears is happening right now. I know I don't trust Torrealba at all.

They are either playing us or so incompetent and cowardly that it just looks that way. In either case it's not a great picture.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
It does make sense. If I were the government, I'd have reached out to the heads of the opposition a while ago and basically told them "Look, here's how it is. If you play nice and don't make too much of a fuss, you'll get your chance in the next elections. Shut up, take some cash and keep your head down, or get your rear end thrown in jail".

I don't think all the major opposition players are under their thumb, but they are woefully out of their depth when it comes to standing up against a dictatorship. I don't envy their job – it's not something you can pull off if everyone is more interested in keeping their asses safe rather than contribute to the cause, I guess.

Either way, at this point it's pretty obvious Chavismo is not going to leave via elections. If I had to bet, I'd say at some point one of their factions will backstab the others in exchange for not being prosecuted after the whole thing falls down, or maybe some military will fancy himself the next Chavez and convince enough officers to pull off a successful coup and the cycle will begin again.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Ofaloaf posted:

Is there another source for that story other that Drudge Report?

the drudge report is linking to the WaPo story, headline and all, friend - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.9cd51ebf8175

gj on reflexively shooting from the hip at the first messenger you saw tho

AmericanBarbarian posted:

Suddenly, it is very important among Marxist circles that you don't use shame/group pressure tactics against people for exercising their freedom of speech online[1]

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2016/12/not-here-to-make-friends-a-statement-of-support-for-george-ciccariello-maher

because Solidarity, you see, means a Movement is judged by how it treats the most edgelordeist of its members

[1] unless they say something that is the same as 'violence', then its OK to report them to the police/call their school/call their church/doxx the gently caress out of them, but of course the twitter mob will judge fairly against the miscreants[2]
[2] miscreants are ppl w/ Bad political views[3]
[3] speaking of bad views looking forward to Ciccariello's defense of forced sterilizations, after he first denounces it as a CIA lie, but then Maduro goes on TV a few days later and is like "Yes, this is new national policy, for the good of the country'.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Maduro just announced that the Bs. 100 bills will go out of circulation on January 20. This is the second time that he has postponed their phasing out. Originally, the bills were supposed to go out of circulation on December 15, and then on January 2. The constant postponements are likely being caused by the fact that the country is having difficulty getting the new bills which are supposed to replace the Bs. 100 notes.

Also, I just read an interesting interview with a writer named Antonio Sanchez Garcia. The interview is a bit too lengthy for me to translate, but the article is titled "The mediocrity of the Venezuelan opposition is extremely serious".

In the interview, Sanchez says that it's beyond obvious that the MUD and the opposition in general are only interested in posturing so that they can get into power whenever it's most convenient for them, and that they're more interested in their own well-being than that of the country. He says that this is evidenced by the fact that they have failed spectacularly at defending and/or promoting the rights that they pretend to stand for.

He also talked a bit about a couple of :tinfoil: stories. One is that Julio Borges, the head of the Primero Justicia opposition party, has been in talks with some high-ranking army officers. The talks centered around these officials ensuring that Maduro stayed in power until 2018, so that he could run (and lose) the presidential elections that year against, presumably, Henrique Capriles. In exchange, these officers were guaranteed control of the Ministry of Defense in an opposition government.

It's an extremely depressing read, so give it a look if you can read Spanish!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chuck Boone posted:

In the interview, Sanchez says that it's beyond obvious that the MUD and the opposition in general are only interested in posturing so that they can get into power whenever it's most convenient for them, and that they're more interested in their own well-being than that of the country. He says that this is evidenced by the fact that they have failed spectacularly at defending and/or promoting the rights that they pretend to stand for.

That kind of cynicism would be pretty disgusting, but even leaving aside the more generous interpretation that they're just cowards (or even justifiably frightened by the alliance between the regime and the military), it's not entirely crazy. When it looked like the opposition was probably going to be taking over earlier in the year, there were definitely people in this thread worrying that they'd be left holding the bag for Maduro's failures and would end up inheriting the blame/letting the PSUV off the hook. Things have since gotten worse than anyone probably expected at the time (including the opposition), so I think everyone would now say that it would have been better if the MUD had actually taken over, but even if avoiding power because of those concerns is a wrong or stupid decision, it's not hard to see how the terrible situation they'd be left with even if they did somehow overcome the regime could contribute to the lack of motivation for taking the fight to the streets.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Sinteres posted:

That kind of cynicism would be pretty disgusting, but even leaving aside the more generous interpretation that they're just cowards (or even justifiably frightened by the alliance between the regime and the military), it's not entirely crazy. When it looked like the opposition was probably going to be taking over earlier in the year, there were definitely people in this thread worrying that they'd be left holding the bag for Maduro's failures and would end up inheriting the blame/letting the PSUV off the hook. Things have since gotten worse than anyone probably expected at the time (including the opposition), so I think everyone would now say that it would have been better if the MUD had actually taken over, but even if avoiding power because of those concerns is a wrong or stupid decision, it's not hard to see how the terrible situation they'd be left with even if they did somehow overcome the regime could contribute to the lack of motivation for taking the fight to the streets.

We weren't expecting Maduro to be this evil and the MUD to be this easy to manipulate. Currently I have absolutely no hope whatsoever that the country will recover, or that Maduro will be removed, but honestly, just seeing how the MUD still treats Maduro like he's some sort of village idiot when he's managed to best them at every turn merely by playing them against each other is undisputably stupid of them.

They had a legitimate chance to take over, had they played their cards right. Instead, they caved on the very first blow the government threw at them with the Amazonas deputies, simply refusing to put up a fight, now, they're done for. Nobody expected them to be this cowardly, not even top tier PSUVistas who tried to flip earlier this year.

In other news, guess who just got freed today: Manuel Rosales! He managed to voluntarily surrender himself, then successfully negotiate his release, take that Leopoldo! (Except of course, he had already dodged his charges by requesting asylum in Peru, and he had been completely irrelevant for the 5 years prior to his surrender)

fnox fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 31, 2016

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Things have been a bit slow(ish) over the last few days on account of the holidays, but here's a quick summary of some of what has been going on in the past few days:
  • The Observatorio Venezolano de Violencia [Venezuelan Violence Watch] is an NGO that tracks crime statistics. They tallied the number of homicides in the country in 2016 at 28,479, which is up from the 2015 count (27,875). If accurate, the 2016 figure would put Venezuela at the number one or two spot in homicides per capita (at 91.8 per 100,000 residents), depending on where El Salvador and Honduras come in. Caracas alone saw just over 5,000 homicides, but I don't have the link to that information right now. (EDIT: Correction: The one and only morgue in Caracas admitted 5,741 bodies in all of 2016. These figures include homicides, traffic deaths and suspicious deaths).

Venezuelan authorities do not officially release homicide statistics on a regular basis, so what the OBV and other NGOs do is contact morgues, police departments and hospitals and get the information themselves. Aside from these types of figures, the government does release annual crime statistics, usually in the spring. The official government figures tend to be lower than those of OBV.

• The Venezuelan government took out a $5 billion dollar loan from a Chinese bank on December 29 without telling anyone. The loan is illegal under Venezuelan law, because article 132 of the constitution states that any public debt must be debated and approved by the National Assembly. This is for governance, transparency and accountability purposes. Because we don't actually know which entity took out the loan, it's really difficult to say who has it/for what purpose, although presumably the Central Bank is handling the money.

The Latin American Herald Tribune points out that the loan was issued in the form of physical bearer bonds, which are unregistered and as I understand it, impossible to trace. If you physically have a bearer bond in your possession, then you own the money that the bond is for. The article points out that "most developed nations" no longer use physical bearer bonds, but that they are "a favourite of drug dealers, money launderers and others who seek anonymity". The article points out that you could move the entire $5 billion loan in just a briefcase.

You might remember bearer bonds from the documentary "Die Hard", which is about a group of German terrorists headed by one Hans Gruber who attempted to break into the vault at Nakatomi Plaza in Los Angeles to steal $640 million in bearer bonds precisely because they are anonymous, easy to move and untraceable.

To summarize: Someone in the government just got $5 billion in untraceable money that is wholly unaccounted for and can be stolen with absolutely no effort or repercussions whatsoever.

• Leopoldo Lopez wrote an "end-of-the-year" message, so I'm going to share a translation of it here:

quote:

2017: Dictatorship or Democracy

2016 has come to an end, and the crisis of which we have warned is growing more severe at an increasing rate, bringing with it unprecedented acts in our history. When it comes to the economic and the social, the shortages no longer affect only food, medicine, repair parts and basic necessities for the economy. Now there is rationing of currency, the very money of Venezuelans, something which set off lamentable events in diverse areas of the country. The high cost of living, as it does every year, has reached the highest levels in our history, placing us as the country with the highest inflation rate in the world. The same happens with violence, the other evil that plagues Venezuelans, which will similarly surpass the number of homicides from last year. These are enormously serious facts, but they are nothing more than the preventable consequences of an erroneous model and system, which if not changed will significantly worsen our people’s suffering.

Venezuelans know that this crisis is the consequence of this model, and it fills me with strength to know that our people are growing more and more aware each day over the cause and origin of their political, social, and economic situation, despite the communication hegemony and propaganda that this same system has managed to deploy. Today, 70% of Venezuelans consider this to be a non-democratic government, one that has become a dictatorship, while 90% clamor for change.

I am surprised to hear some say that the people do not care if we live in a dictatorship or a democracy, because what is important for the Venezuelan is that his problems be solved. My response to that is that the intelligence of our people cannot be underestimated. The Venezuelan has as many material and basic necessities as spiritual and liberty [as necessities]. Without a doubt, the Venezuelan people today are burdened by the most basic problems, but they are also asphyxiated by a regime that wants to control everything as a dictatorship, one that seeks to suppress our liberties and that crossed a line in 2016 that Venezuelan democrats and those abroad cannot tolerate: ignoring the National Assembly, the institutional dismantling of the rule of law through the total control of public institutions, specially the TSJ [the Supreme Court] and the CNE [the body in charge of elections], and, most grievously, the arbitrary elimination of the constitutional referendum that in essence suspended the right to vote in our country.

For more than three years we insisted that objects must be called by their proper names, and Venezuela is a dictatorship. Unfortunately, it has been long since we have been in a situation where the regime could correct itself. On the contrary, its intention is to strengthen its model. I have always believed that as democrats, if we do not have a clear and firm position about that which we are facing, we run the risk of allowing it to continue to cement its position and destroy the country. That is why I stress that the first step for any strategy shared by democratic forces is to recognize and know what we are facing.

However, it is not enough to identify the origin of these problems and those responsible for them. It is up to us to define a goal and set out a common and unified path for 2017: TO RECOVER THE RIGHT TO VOTE AND MOVE BEYOND THE CRISIS. With this objective as our priority, I want to humbly insist on the following for Venezuelans and the whole of the democratic Unity [the opposition]:

1. Political and Constitutional Responsibility

Once the National Assembly beings its new session, it will be a necessary first step to move beyond the crisis to place political and constitutional responsibility for this crisis [on the regime]. The National Assembly must continue the debate that it began this year, and end with deciding over the political responsibility of Nicolas Maduro and the abandonment of his constitutional responsibilities and duties. There can be no doubt that the National Assembly is wholly legitimate [as it was given legitimacy] through an election. Our people trusted the opposition. Not a simple majority: the people trusted 2/3 of its members [at the National Assembly], a clear mandate for political change. We must exercise our majority, take decisions and call on our people to back [legislators up] on the streets. THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY MUST BE DEFENDED BY THE PUBLIC.

2. Recover the Right to Vote

The right of the sovereign people to vote cannot be revoked indefinitely, and this is why the second step that the National Assembly smut take is to assign rectors to the CNE [essentially giving the opposition control of elections in the country].

3. Civil organization and mobilization

Whenever the decisions taken by the National Assembly are ignored, the Democratic Unity [the opposition] must call on citizens to organize into citizen assemblies and large protests to support the declaration of political responsibility [against Maduro] and the assigning of the new rectors. We must be clear on the fact that victory and change can only be achieved with a leadership and a people who mobilize and pressure the dictatorship.

4. From the Democratic Unity TABLE to the Democratic Unity MOVEMENT

We’re not talking about a new organization: rather, we’re talking about the transformation of a unified organization into a new phase that will require the inclusion of different sectors and movements. The Unity Table [the official name of the opposition] appeared as an partisan articulation that has demonstrated its enormous efficiency when it comes to electoral matters. Now, in times of resistance and the conquest of democracy, and this struggle requires a wide audience. This is why we call for a shift from the table to the movement within the Democratic Unity, the central objective of which will be to recover the right to vote and defeat dictatorship to restore constitutional order and recover democracy.

5. National Agreement

Certain that Venezuelans will achieve change, it is up to all of to jointly define what it is that we want for the Venezuelan that we are going to build. For this reason, we must promote a wide and inclusive debate with urgency to define national goals and priorities in different spheres to allow us to reinstate the constitutional path, democratic coexistence, and to promote well-being through inclusive projects. The result of this debate must be a great National Agreement, which I am convinced we must not be afraid to submit to the citizenry via an electoral referendum.

As 2016 comes to an end and with the utmost sincerity and accountability, it is necessary to say that difficult times await us next year. Despite this, I ask you to fill yourself with strength, faith and optimism, because in 2017 we will continue to fight with all of our will to achieve The Best Venezuela.

We will continue to fight for all of you Venezuelans who believe in a better country without care for the sacrifice that must be made for a Venezuelan where all Venezuelans have all the rights, and we are convinced that the change that we all long for is coming sooner rather than later, because there are millions of us on this path and we will not rest until pushing all of the changes that our country needs forward.

I wand to send a warm hug to every Venezuelan living in every corner of the world as the year comes to an end. The same goes to my colleagues at the Unity [opposition], my brothers at Voluntad Popular [Lopez’s party] and to all of their families, as well as my fellow political prisoners who have been separated from their loved ones only because they think differently and wish for a better Venezuela.

Strength and faith, Venezuela

Leopoldo Lopez

Prisoner of Conscience

Ramo Verde Military Prison

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 3, 2017

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

So do the new denominations of bolivares stand any chance of actually appearing in the next week or two? How will people pay for goods and services if not?

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Vlex posted:

So do the new denominations of bolivares stand any chance of actually appearing in the next week or two? How will people pay for goods and services if not?

Oh man, I'd forgotten about those. Who knows, really? Government officials say they've already received a couple of the new denominations and they're working with banks to get them out, but according to some stuff I've read, it usually takes over a month for banks to adapt ATMs to new bills.

In the meantime, if preparations aren't ready by the 20th, Maduro will just extend the life support of the Bs100 bill (again).

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Vlex posted:

In short: it's not looking good.

As far as I'm aware, at least one of the new coins (Bs. 50) has seen limited circulation, but the Venegoons will be able to speak to this more. As far as the bills go (specifically the Bs. 500 bill, which is the first one that is supposed to enter circulation), it seemed to me like every day last week the government announced that X amount of bills had arrived in the country, but they haven't begun circulating yet. As of this morning, banks have yet to hear from the Central Bank about the introduction of the new bills, and they haven't received any new bills in the last two weeks, either.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

So basically something suspicious (quelle surprise) is going on with the roll-out and there will be chaos when it finally does happen due to inadequate infrastructure and planning.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Really I imagine they're trying to avoid paying for the new notes which is holding up the delivery.

And making sure they go to the 'right people' first as well, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Makes me glad for the porous border across the Orinoco, for my part.