Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Zetsu recommend me some anime games again. Price doesnt matter. I need something to combat my depressing Christmas and anime is surely the cure. I have all the Neps (and all the bad CH/IF games), all the Final Fantasy games, and anything by NIS already. Thanks to your recommendations last year I also ended up with Akibas Trip, Long Live the Queen, Grandia II, Recettear, and Tales of Zestiria.

Buy Trails in the Sky. It's a pleasant JRPG roadtrip with likable characters, so it sounds perfect for what you want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Dali Parton posted:

Picked up Alien Isolation because I saw Alien for the first time this year (which I mega enjoyed), and I really like suspense games. Heads are gonna roll in here if this game sucks.

My favorite game of 2014.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Furnaceface posted:

Zetsu recommend me some anime games again. Price doesnt matter. I need something to combat my depressing Christmas and anime is surely the cure. I have all the Neps (and all the bad CH/IF games), all the Final Fantasy games, and anything by NIS already. Thanks to your recommendations last year I also ended up with Akibas Trip, Long Live the Queen, Grandia II, Recettear, and Tales of Zestiria.

I'm not Zetsu, but LiEat is a short and adorable anime adventure - you're a dragon who eats lies and (might) steal candy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamfrost posted:

My friend, Rabi-Ribi is the answer.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400910/

But only if you like metroidvanias.

I actually have that on my wishlist but Im not sure what metroidvanias are or if I like them. Im not a big fan of difficult games.

dmboogie posted:

Buy Trails in the Sky. It's a pleasant JRPG roadtrip with likable characters, so it sounds perfect for what you want!

At some point I picked this up but havnt played it. I should get on that. Is SC the second game or a remake of the first?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not Zetsu, but LiEat is a short and adorable anime adventure - you're a dragon who eats lies and (might) steal candy.

This looks :3: as hell and Im totally getting it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

At some point I picked this up but havnt played it. I should get on that. Is SC the second game or a remake of the first?

SC is a direct sequel that picks up like five minutes after the first game ends. FC and SC were apparently originally supposed to be a single game, but ended up being split up because jesus christ it was long.

Just FYI, FC wraps up its central plot beats pretty well but it also ends on a gigantic cliffhanger.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Furnaceface posted:

I actually have that on my wishlist but Im not sure what metroidvanias are or if I like them. Im not a big fan of difficult games.

Oh. Hmm. Imagine a 2D action-platformer with a bunch of screens of varying sizes connected to each other that are meant to be explored. Secrets and power-ups hide everywhere.

The game is kind of hard though since the boss fights are bullet hell-ish, but I remember it being able to accommodate almost everyone with the huge amount of difficulties available for selection. If you die often in an area, it'll even give you a bunch of buffs to help you get through.

Maybe give it a low priority though if you're looking for a very laid back game instead.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Can anyone recommend any Tower Defense games? I've been in a weird mood for playing them lately and the Sanctum games never did anything for me.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Can anyone recommend any Tower Defense games? I've been in a weird mood for playing them lately and the Sanctum games never did anything for me.

I like Defender's Quest

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Immortal Defense is the most interesting one on Steam, with an actually good plot and neat mechanics. It's my favorite out of the lot of them, and you can adjust the difficulty a lot. You can guide bullets with your cursor, amongst other neat mechanics.

Dungeon Warfare is far more traditional but lots of fun - line the walls with traps, shove heroes into pits, etc etc.

Gemcraft has an interesting central mechanic and ooooodles of levels, so it's great for podcasts.

And then there's the Defense Grid series, which has a decentish plot and you build mazes out of your towers.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Trap style defense would be Dungeon Warfare or the third-person variety, Orcs Must Die 1 & 2. Traditional tower defense would be Defense Grid 1 which I think is superior to 2. You could also try Gemcraft if you don't mind the flat graphics.

Immortal Defense and Defender's Quest are also other options you can look at.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'll throw out a recommendation for Gemcraft: Chasing Shadows and Dungeon Warfare, both really good TD:s that won't set you back much.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Kingdom Rush (original or Frontiers) is very good.

Dungeon Warfare doesn't have any real guides or major community interest for a reason. Turn out that Orcs Must Die doesn't really work that well in minimal 2d.

(I actually had my mom try Dungeon Warfare, and seeing a person who had never heard the word "graphics" in her life try to convey her problems with the way the game looks was kinda amazing)

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I can't believe no one reccomended you yet "Infested Planet" : it's a great TD game! (also its DLC rocks)

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Knightsoul posted:

I can't believe no one reccomended you yet "Infested Planet" : it's a great TD game! (also its DLC rocks)

Mrmmmm, I view it more as a great RTS.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The Defense Gride games are pretty solid if a bit limited. Echoing that Kingdom Rush and Frontiers are pretty good too but they can be played for free in a browser if you so chose.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Jamfrost posted:

Yeah, it has pretty heavy rts elements but at its core is a TD strategy game. Great game either way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Cross-posting here for maximum eyeballs.

Re: Arkham Knight

John Murdoch posted:

So it actually seems to perform really drat well. I turned down everything just to be on the safe side and the benchmark was hitting something like 70-120 FPS and actual gameplay seemed pretty drat smooth too.

However, I seem to recall rumblings about the performance specifically going to poo poo 2-3 hours into the game. Is there any truth to that?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jamfrost posted:

This, reminds me a lot of one of the old Dawn of War games with the capturing points for resources using a small squad stuff.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

I only ever had performance issues when driving the batmobile, especially with the fancy smoke effects turned on.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

John Murdoch posted:

Not really. The only place I had a performance drop was during a side mission, and I never identified a likely source, my PC might have just started an additional task or something. I did have an odd issue where I would go back to the game after a couple weeks and it set the frame limit down to 30 without my permission, so keep an eye out for that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dali Parton posted:

Picked up Alien Isolation because I saw Alien for the first time this year (which I mega enjoyed), and I really like suspense games. Heads are gonna roll in here if this game sucks.
It's really good. A little advice for it though: the game is about aggressive stealth so you need to move from cover to cover towards your goal. Only crouch when you can be seen, walk otherwise (the Xeno will hear you running). The game can be really tense to a point that you could just stay hidden in that locker forever waiting for the perfect opportunity but that's the worst thing you can do because Xeno's ai will be patrolling the place you don't move from more frequently.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

John Murdoch posted:

The problem with the game's performance was always the inconsistency on various machines. If the game is performing well on your PC then it most likely will continue to perform well (outside of some FPS dips with lots of enemies+rain). It's that random setups that are for example way better than yours may end up having problems with the game which is why it's a gamble to buy this title.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Retroblique posted:

Someone talk me into buying Elite Dangerous: Horizons. I've got the core game but barely touched it (played through the tutorial missions and that was about it), for no other reason than I've just been constantly distracted by other things. I enjoy space exploration/trade/combat games in general and was a big fan of the original Elite and Frontier back in the day. I'm not particularly interested in the multiplayer component, so I'm hoping there's an interesting enough single player experience there. I've heard its kinda grindy, but then so were the previous games in the series, so I can live with that. I just don't want to see everything the game has to offer within 2-3 hours. I keep wanting to dive back into the game but feel like I need Horizons now to get the full experience.

I have over 250 hours in Elite:Dangerous, and also played the original back in '84. I love Horizons for blatting around on planet surfaces in the SRV. But I also haven't played it since October because I think the grind just wore me down. I really wish I could recommend it, but as it has been from the start the gameplay is only what you make of it yourself.
You'll see everything in 2-3 hours, except you might have to scan some other thing or collect a poo poo-ton of some other widget. I recommend Horizons if you want to play more Elite, as the planetary landings and driving are great fun. But don't expect it to change the base game significantly. Youtube some SRV action and see if it appeals enough to spend $20 on it. The included Engineers update is a monstrous grind to let you boost your ship stats, and you MUST do this if you want to remain combat-effective. Once your combat rank is high enough the NPCs all run upgraded ships and will wreck your poo poo if you aren't as well.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Palpek posted:

It's really good. A little advice for it though: the game is about aggressive stealth so you need to move from cover to cover towards your goal. Only crouch when you can be seen, walk otherwise (the Xeno will hear you running). The game can be really tense to a point that you could just stay hidden in that locker forever waiting for the perfect opportunity but that's the worst thing you can do because Xeno's ai will be patrolling the place you don't move from more frequently.

The most important piece of advice here is that walking is also stealthy, but faster than crouching. Crouching merely makes you less visible.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
The Gran Turismo games are some of my favourite games of all time. Im looking to collect racing games anything like it. I dont like arcadey racing at all - I like technical, demanding racing games. What is my best bet?

I do love a good career mode - going from a tin box on wheels to driving a Toyota Minolta was wonderful. But, if there's enough challenge to the racing itself or even just individual challenge events Im also happy.

Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally both have good reviews. Could some people who've played them tell me how they found them? Do either end up being more arcadey than simulatey?

Im not interested in multiplayer racing. Ive seen some on steam have bad reviews because the online is shoddy but Im not fussed about that.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Wow. Not only are the "HEY GAMES FROM YOUR WISHLIST ARE ON SALE" emails are increasing in number (I think I've gotten four in the past 24 hours) but this latest one said the Witcher III season pass was on sale. (It wasn't.)

On a related note, does anyone know if the GOG season pass is applicable to the Steam version? It's ten bucks cheaper.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 26, 2016

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I've turned those emails off in favor of ones from isthereanydeal.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Alright, sitting on my last purchase for the sale, I think, and I'm trying to decide between two very different games that I'm not sure if I'm into. Otherwise I may just end up saving the spare cash.

Would I be into Pillars of Eternity if I like RPGs, and I like Obsidian's writing in stuff like New Vegas, but hate Fallout 1/2 era mechanics/design decisions? If it's too "old school" I probably wouldn't be a fan. I'm also eyeing The Division for a shooter, because the online co-op bits look interesting, but I'm not a big fan of MMO style grinding for "raid"type content. It also looks like something you'd want to have friends for.

Does anyone have any opinions re: either of these?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

Alright, sitting on my last purchase for the sale, I think, and I'm trying to decide between two very different games that I'm not sure if I'm into. Otherwise I may just end up saving the spare cash.

Would I be into Pillars of Eternity if I like RPGs, and I like Obsidian's writing in stuff like New Vegas, but hate Fallout 1/2 era mechanics/design decisions? If it's too "old school" I probably wouldn't be a fan. I'm also eyeing The Division for a shooter, because the online co-op bits look interesting, but I'm not a big fan of MMO style grinding for "raid"type content. It also looks like something you'd want to have friends for.

Does anyone have any opinions re: either of these?

Pillars has very new-school design (in a good way), so don't worry about that. It's not Obsidian's best writing, though.

The Division can totally be played solo all the way to level cap and beyond. There's some grinding if you want to get best-in-slot gear (getting a dozen copies of a set piece to find one with the right stat rolls), but that's a hyper-optimization thing. There are only three end-game dungeons (of a special type called "incursions") that don't cleanly scale from solo to a full party. Of course, it's more fun with friends, but that's practically a tautology.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Lethemonster posted:

The Gran Turismo games are some of my favourite games of all time. Im looking to collect racing games anything like it. I dont like arcadey racing at all

Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally both have good reviews. Could some people who've played them tell me how they found them? Do either end up being more arcadey than simulatey?

Project CARS is probably your best bet. Cant say anything about the two you mentioned though.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Dying Light is 60 % off and slipped under my Radar since ever, and how did I regret this. I started playing 2 weeks ago and I finished the main story with i would say 80 % of the sidequests.
Last week I started to play the expansion "The Following"
My steam tells me "You have played 64 hours", but cut my idle and afk time and I would say am about 50 hours into the game and not even close to have finished the expansion, I have finished just 4 mainquests and 10 or so sidequests.
The expansion is not only more of the same but adds another skill tree (driver) and a Buggy you can upgrade and a mini single faction-reputation system that is another nice layer in the story.
There is some crafting, too. Nothing spectacular but enough to make the exploring and gathering count.

While you gain serious power and an arsenal of melee weapons and rifles, shotguns and funstuff (like throwable exploding stars, Dynamite, Molotov Cocktails, Trap Bombs, Landmines and Grenades), the night *will* gently caress you up in the first hours of the game and even later into the story of the maingame + expansion, you have the tension and pressure to survive, and mistakes WILL lead to death finally. And this is great, it is the best part of the game imho.
The story is "okay", I like the sarcasm and :doh: answers of "your" maincharacter

If you like a Zombie slaugthering mix of open world and missions with mechanical and style elements from games like Dead Island, Mirrors Edge, Just Cause, Far Cry, Dead Rising and State of Decay, BUY THIS GAME NOW.
It is brutal, it is fun, it is limb flying and skull cracking melee mayhem, it makes you wet your pants in the night session and even if you leave out most of the side missions, you will be busy with this game for 15-20 hours easily.

I almost missed this and you should not, as it is 60 % off.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 26, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dying Light is definitely one of the best zombie games and open world games ever made. It's just incredibly fun to just gently caress around in that game and both movement and combat are fantastic.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What if you're really burned out on the zombie thing?

I wish Pirate games were as popular as Zombie games.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

betamax hipster posted:

Pillars has very new-school design (in a good way), so don't worry about that. It's not Obsidian's best writing, though.

The Division can totally be played solo all the way to level cap and beyond. There's some grinding if you want to get best-in-slot gear (getting a dozen copies of a set piece to find one with the right stat rolls), but that's a hyper-optimization thing. There are only three end-game dungeons (of a special type called "incursions") that don't cleanly scale from solo to a full party. Of course, it's more fun with friends, but that's practically a tautology.

Thanks for the information, both of them sound fun, but I think I'm going to choose Pillars for now, since it seems like Division gets included in bundles and sales more often.

Appreciate the advice!

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Dali Parton posted:

I know this is a game thread, but please make sure you follow up with James Camerons Aliens if you haven't already seen it. I love both movies equally and just started up playing some A:I too, and it rocks hard.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Palpek posted:

Dying Light is definitely one of the best zombie games and open world games ever made. It's just incredibly fun to just gently caress around in that game and both movement and combat are fantastic.

Is it a fun "gently caress around" game like Just Cause is fun "gently caress around" game? Because I'm not a huge fan of Just Cause, but I have been trying to figure out if I should pick up Dying Light for a few months now.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is it a fun "gently caress around" game like Just Cause is fun "gently caress around" game? Because I'm not a huge fan of Just Cause, but I have been trying to figure out if I should pick up Dying Light for a few months now.

I definitely spent a lot of time running around aimlessly drop-kicking zombies and parkouring / spider-maning. Its a good game.
Also playing it coop is really great.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LordHippoman posted:

since it seems like Division gets included in bundles and sales more often.

Appreciate the advice!
The Division also has some truly problematic themes and if you're the sort of person to examine your media critically it has rather unflattering things to say.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

On a related note, does anyone know if the GOG season pass is applicable to the Steam version? It's ten bucks cheaper.
I don't think so.

I bought the two DLC separately and saved twenty five cents. It says I don't own the season pass but I do own the GOTY edition after that. Very strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What if you're really burned out on the zombie thing?

I wish Pirate games were as popular as Zombie games.

I began my recommandation with "slipped under my radar since ever" and because of your question I felt I wanna explain this:
I ignored Dying Light because of 2 aspects 2 years ago: 1.) I was burnt out and wanted to avoid "Zombie" themed games for a while 2.) Techland disappointed with Dead Island.
While Dead Island had one of the best trailers ever made or maybe even the BEST trailer
("For many people, the gold standard in video game trailers. Memorable, emotional...and yet, it’s legacy is somewhat tainted, because people remember it as much for the impact it had on them at the time as they remember the feel of the actual game was nothing like this sombre, moving clip." http://thebests.kotaku.com/the-best-video-game-trailers-1752138967 ),
it was misleading, because the game lacked the perfection the trailer had. It was not even close.

So Zombies + Techland was the Knockout even to put DL on my steam wishlist. Then my brother was playing Dying Light several days in a row (very unusual for him, most games don't even keep his attention after playing the first hours) and I asked him what that game did do to him that he played it more than one evening.
I got a non intended but perfect sales pitch as answer as we like similiar games. TLDR: "Buy this, brother, you will love it. Oh, and good luck in your first night :smug: "

I did not read any about the story of Dying Light, not anything about the asymmetrical impact of the day and night cycle.
After the first hours into the game I really and finally understood why Dying Light got that somewhat great Meta Critic score.

The graphics, visual and atmosphere is stunning, the sound is absolutely perfect and I have to consider if there is any game out there that caught me with that kind of immersion.
So even if you can't stand the Zombie theme anymore, I wanna convince you that you will make a mistake if you avoid Dying Light because of this.
My wife left the room some days ago because I was hysterically laughing while punching, slicing, hacking and smashing Zombies with Fists, Legs, Axes, Hammers, Wrenches and Swords.
Holy hell is this mayhem in Dying Light fun, shotgun blasting the packs and burning them down.
The special zombies are somehow similiar to Left4Dead, without further spoilers. They will force you to adapt your movement and attacking strategy.

You like open worlds, vertical and horizontal movement, jumping, grapling hooking and slaugthering hundreds of enemies with very satisfying melee kills and you like tons of missions, gathering, crafting, exploring and survival elements?
BUT you think Zombies are boring?
Okay. Well, why not take a bet that there is a game that makes you FEAR and hate-love Zombies again?
What if there will be moments ingame where you are not sure if you wait till dawn instead of ending just that quest in growing dusk while your ingame watch beeps and shows "20:57" and "night is coming" and you enter that tunnel knowing that you will poo poo your bed?
You are a tough guy?
Well, put your headphones on, turn off your lights at home and take your ingame flashlight and explore your first nights in Dying light (after quest 3 IIRC) and I know your face will be like this: :stonk: :cry:
Just read the OT and testimonials of the first nights, it is a glorious :suspense: OMGWTFFFFUUUUUUCK

If the light begins to "die" like the gametitle says, chances are high, you will ingame, too, Galaga Galaxian.
And 60% off in this sale is worth it to take the risk that I am promising too much and you might find Dying Light boring.

I wanna repeat myself: I almost missed Dying Light and after beeing burnt out of Zombie Themes as well and now having 50 hours in this game, I really claim I would have deeply regretted it.
Techland redeemed themselves imho and stated in their interviews that Dying Light finally became the game that Dead island should have been in the first place.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 26, 2016

• Locked thread