Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dongicus posted:

I hope you all had a wonderful christmas with your friends and family.

I fed everyone rat poison, they are all with baby jesus now. I just couldn't deal with the shame if they had found out 2.6 released in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Isn't your avatar the dude who doxxed someone on here?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dongicus posted:

Stop doxxing the doxxing dude

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Dongicus posted:

Happy doxxing day

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
'DEFEAT' MESSAGE APPEARS AFTER WINNING AC PIRATE SWARM (CLEARED 18 ROUNDS)

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1 Load into AC Pirate Swarm
2 Clear all 18 waves (win)
3 bug: Defeat message will appear

ACTUAL RESULT
Cleared the 18th wave of Pirate Swarm and when we won the 'Defeat' message was displayed. Also shows 'Wave 19' at the end.

EXPECTED RESULT
I expected to see the victory message after winning, not the defeat message.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Star Citizen: I expected to see the victory message after winning

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

tuo posted:

Stop doxxing the doxxing dude

Oh hey its a newbie! What convinced you to join us on SA?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Wait wait wait, did I miss something here? Does "winning" AC unlock a loving ship for you to buy in store? At least it's for in-game money, right? Not real dollars?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I'm just here for the pet pics

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

sorry for doxxing you Chris

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

his nibs posted:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

aww yeah :3:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Erenthal posted:

Wait wait wait, did I miss something here? Does "winning" AC unlock a loving ship for you to buy in store? At least it's for in-game money, right? Not real dollars?

Real money. It's also not the first time they've done this.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

A cat that makes one understand why the ancient Egyptians revered them so.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

that is one admirable cat

congrats commando o8

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Erenthal posted:

lol, shitizens

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I bet the main reason for the witch to LY is just the license and support agreement change. All talk of the advanced features in LY is bullshit. Nothing will get merged, just the base was changed.

Sure maybe CR in his dreams manages to leverage the LY networking and cloud stuff, but those are just dreams.

The funniest poo poo for me is that the citizens think we are now 2 weeks off from perfect VR and endlessly scaling instances because LUMBERYARD

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dongicus posted:

Oh hey its a newbie! What convinced you to join us on SA?

:ironicat:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
CIG switched engines without telling anyone while advertising a 2016 release date. How is that not fraud?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG switched engines without telling anyone while advertising a 2016 release date. How is that not fraud?

Remember the TOS that says that "gently caress you, cocksucker". It's cast-ironclad, and eliminates all chance of fraud.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Since Star Citizen is very open development Chris would've told backers he was committing fraud. He didn't say anything about it, so there is no fraud. Duh

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MeLKoR posted:

I am a coder and it strikes me as a proper load of bollocks as well.

Seriously. Even migrating from one version of the SAME ENGINE (not two different and separate forks of the same engine) can be a loving nightmare where half your poo poo randomly breaks. Talk to anyone who uses Unity regularly about Unity version changes and watch them sweat. And note, this is a product where it's been designed to make this process as painless as possible and ensure that versions 4.1 and 4.2 are as compatible as possible, not two separate bunches of coders going in different directions and adding poo poo as they see fit.

I agree with both your points as well. If StarEngine actually featured any significant amount of custom code porting it over to Lumberyard is going to be a significant undertaking. So they're lying one way or another!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Promise me that if the game actually comes out, Goons will adopt Kilrathi avatars and meowing speech packs the better to taunt their victims with.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

AP posted:

You can now give us real money in the store.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Der Shovel posted:

Seriously. Even migrating from one version of the SAME ENGINE (not two different and separate forks of the same engine) can be a loving nightmare where half your poo poo randomly breaks. Talk to anyone who uses Unity regularly about Unity version changes and watch them sweat. And note, this is a product where it's been designed to make this process as painless as possible and ensure that versions 4.1 and 4.2 are as compatible as possible, not two separate bunches of coders going in different directions and adding poo poo as they see fit.

I agree with both your points as well. If StarEngine actually featured any significant amount of custom code porting it over to Lumberyard is going to be a significant undertaking. So they're lying one way or another!

Thank gently caress someone agrees with me. Everywhere else has been "YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND DEV" and i'm fairly certain I do as its my job. These people are deranged.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ewe2 posted:

Promise me that if the game actually comes out, Goons will adopt Kilrathi avatars and meowing speech packs the better to taunt their victims with.

Everyone likes to throw out the what-ifs for the completely unlikely event of SC being released as a possible win for people from here but even if it did, would anyone seriously want to give Chris Roberts money? After all this?

I don't think trying to fill a bucket with commando-tears would be worth the price of admission if it meant giving a single dollar to these people.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
So anyone want to make an educated guess when the new patch will arrive?
the big one is due in march right?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I'm hoping that by the end of next year they'll have switched engines again. I suggest Serious Engine, those croatian boys are alright.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh man I almost missed a chance to post a Christmas beetle!

Do you have any other images of beetles in adorable hats? :3:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Yeah, there are few plausible scenarios about how the engine switch really went or what its current progress status is (partially complete, still win), and none of those is favoring CIG 's narrative. They were either lying about their customizations and their demos were fake (highly likely), or switched to the base of the ly fork, only to acquire the license (not very likely, and has many issues if they want to exploit features of ly).

Either way they are hosed, and 2017 should be a very interesting year.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Baxta posted:

Thank gently caress someone agrees with me. Everywhere else has been "YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND DEV" and i'm fairly certain I do as its my job. These people are deranged.

YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND GAME DEVELOPMENT period because no one does

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I don't really use twitch much but for the first time I decided to go undercover and check out a bunch of SC streams last night to get my own impression. The personalities I ran into were pretty cringe-worthy. Without really any prompting I had multiple people tell me on multiple occasions that they like Star Marine better than CoD with a pretty defensive tone of voice. To casual observation Star Marine seemed like a functional shooter, though one person on the audio was saying that it's super buggy like it's really unpredictable whether the guns decide to work. The glimpse of the PU I saw was fairly stable with no crashing but a serious amount of graphical jank.

Honestly if they can figure out how to get a handle on the graphical bugs maybe by dialing down the fidelity, they have a minimum viable vertical slice. A lot would hinge then on how fast they can get the other 99% of the content in place.

Also just about all the streamers I saw were drinking mixed drinks with hard liquor on Christmas.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"I need to tighten up the fidelity on mission 3."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

EminusSleepus posted:

YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T UNDERSTAND GAME DEVELOPMENT period because no one does

Speaking strictly as a hobbyist coder who understands the tools, the excuses Ben Parry makes are really on the nose. Belittling the size of that task isn't ignorance, its deliberate bullshit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Everyone likes to throw out the what-ifs for the completely unlikely event of SC being released as a possible win for people from here but even if it did, would anyone seriously want to give Chris Roberts money? After all this?

I don't think trying to fill a bucket with commando-tears would be worth the price of admission if it meant giving a single dollar to these people.

Eh, if the game is functional it might be worth it for like :20bux: on a steam sale.

Especially they decide to abandon the whales that are already tapped out to attract new money, so they stand by the idea that it's not pay to win and all the stuff that was available to backers for cash is actually easy to get in game. Six months after launch the only difference between a $40 player and a $15,000 player is an embarrassing Rear Admiral title on the forums.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

TheLastRoboKy posted:

To be fair you probably wouldn't be paying a company owned by Chris Roberts if this actually sees a full release.

maybe a shell company run by his brother

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ewe2 posted:

There's already a FLJK Goonrathi.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Eh, if the game is functional it might be worth it for like :20bux: on a steam sale.

Especially they decide to abandon the whales that are already tapped out to attract new money, so they stand by the idea that it's not pay to win and all the stuff that was available to backers for cash is actually easy to get in game. Six months after launch the only difference between a $40 player and a $15,000 player is an embarrassing Rear Admiral title on the forums.

I'd say it's not worth any amount of money. If you think about it, it's not really worth your limited amount of time on this earth. Games in general are a guilty pleasure, kind of a waste of the gift of life. Nobody is perfect though and games can be incredibly fun, especially if you can socialize with real friends while doing so. To willingly play a bad game though?

The one exception to this would be if you had real life friends or family who played Star Citizen and it is your chance to socialize. The whole thing is tainted though because what kind of friend would force you to play Star Citizen?

edit: I suppose a second exception would be if there is good greifing potential. So the question is: How many $ is it worth giving CIG for the ability to greif Shitizens?

Amarcarts fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

ewe2 posted:

I'll get started on the soundboard right away. By 'right away' I mean in 2020 when Amazon has nearly completed cleaning up this mess. They're obligated to release something because it's a partnership!

Kinda reminds me of an obscure part of Amazon's TOS:

quote:

The Amazon EC2 servers are hosted in and are subject to all applicable laws of the United States and other applicable local laws. You are responsible for maintaining licenses and adhering to the license terms of any software you run. Certain services are prohibited, and you may not operate a site or service that:
Constitutes, promotes, facilitates, or permits gambling.

Nobody calls Star Citizen outright gambling though right?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Did I doubt a little? Sure - It's a crowd-funded game from a new company helmed by a mix of individuals from different walks of life. There's always a tinge of doubt. But, through the course of the last couple of years my observations, information I received from individuals and the interactions from CIG, I do believe the project will eventually succeed. I think anyone spending money on crowdfunding ought to realize that it's a gamble. If Chris pulls a similar stunt as Keiji (I don't think he will), I can't be mad at myself for willingly and knowingly spending my money on something that wasn't a sure thing.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I always said I can move to sell my stuff next year (there'll be people who will buy - no doubt). But any money I spent on this game so far is money I knew I might not see again. Unlike others with buyers' remorse, I went into this thinking that it's a gamble.
We need your guidance in this trying time, your parents can handle themselves.

:yarg: :gary: