Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I got my sister Pitchcar Mini for Christmas.

https://twitter.com/broken_loose/status/813173933361033216

https://twitter.com/broken_loose/status/813176731267977216

editerooni:

Magnetic North posted:

Regarding the use of Platinums and Colonies, Prosperity is also the only set which contains Kingdom Card with a cost of 7 (except Inheritance from Adventures, but that's one use anyway.) Obviously, without these card, hitting 7 exactly sucks, but I've always felt that was a part of the game. So, what's the design reason for the inclusion of those cards? Maybe they need to fill that space at 7 because the game isn't fun when there is nothing to buy in two slots (7 and 10)? Or even if they aren't out, hitting 7 exactly becomes more rare? It's an interesting question.

DXV answered that in an interview, once. Basically, the $7 gap is just a funny coincidence and sometimes there are cards that cost appropriately $7. It just turns out that Gold and Province are balanced around being respectively $6 and $8, so whatever it is has to fit exactly between Gold and Province in terms of when it should be available to you. It's not as easy as the difference between a $2 and a $3, or even a $5 and a $6.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Are there any good reverse-deckbuilding games around? I know of Flamme Rouge, but that game appears to be completely unavailable if you didn't buy a ticket to Essen 2016.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Zero Christmas board games :(

My wife said "it looks like you have a couple you haven't even played yet" as she pointed at Silver Bayonet 25th edition, Reluctant Enemies and ASL starter kit #1....

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Pictomania! Glad to get a game where the family says even they think it looks fun. Gonna wait until my sister and her boyfriend are over to play it with all.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Codenames with my in-laws and their friends. 7-10 minute turns with each turn consisting of clue:1. This sucks. Send help or kill me.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

Got the special edition Vinhos from my parents. What's the consensus on the 2010 vs 2016 versions that come in the box?

My wife and I really enjoyed the 2016 version. It felt deep and satisfying enough, while being easy to teach/learn. Though part of me is interested to try the 2010 version with my Euro-loving friends. Looking at the rules though, I'm worried that it adds complexity without adding equivalent depth.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Flipped through 30 pages ctrl-f'ing for 'trek, but didn't see anything on Star Trek: Ascendancy.

I love Eclipse, and this looks like a game in a similar vein, but Trek-y. Reviews seem to be good overall, though some point out that the game is basically a race for the culture resource. Most reviews are also on the 3p version, but I'd be getting the expansions and playing with 4 or 5, so I'm not sure how well I can believe them.

Any opinions in here on the game?

(Oh, my Christmas haul was The Resistance, when I already own Avalon)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Codenames with my in-laws and their friends. 7-10 minute turns with each turn consisting of clue:1. This sucks. Send help or kill me.

:smithicide:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

Regarding the use of Platinums and Colonies, Prosperity is also the only set which contains Kingdom Card with a cost of 7 (except Inheritance from Adventures, but that's one use anyway.) Obviously, without these card, hitting 7 exactly sucks, but I've always felt that was a part of the game. So, what's the design reason for the inclusion of those cards? Maybe they need to fill that space at 7 because the game isn't fun when there is nothing to buy in two slots (7 and 10)? Or even if they aren't out, hitting 7 exactly becomes more rare? It's an interesting question.

Wedding, Overlord, City Quarter, Forum, Wine Merchant, Advance, Royal Blacksmith, Villa, Basilica, and Stonemason all make hitting 7 more bearable, so there's more options, even if they aren't printed 7s.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ravendas posted:

Can't help with Ascendancy past reviewing the manual, but Resistance isn't useless if you have Avalon! It gets more support than Avalon, so you can add Hostile Intent/Plot Thickens and still have a unique experience from Avalon. Hell, Avalon actually ends up worse in the deal because it's easier to mix Hidden Agenda with other Resistance parts than it is to port any of the unique cyberpunk roles to Avalon.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played Exploding Kittens again, because why not, and yep, it's a worse version of Uno. The best strategy I cared to figure out was to just constantly draw cards until you have enough actions and steals to pin the last remaining opponent, and hope that you draw a defuse in the process to lengthen the time until the RNG fucks you. Oh, and I guess pay a minimal amount of attention to what your opponents have played. There seems to be nearly no reason to use any action (except for steals) until you have better information, which tends to happen late in the game. Awesome. Also you get to look at a dozen stale jokes, and awful, awful card art.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How is the Conan board game?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Looks like I'm the third guy in the thread to get Prosperity for Christmas. I also got Coup and Avalon; any advice for Avalon for people who haven't played it before?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Broken Loose posted:

I got my sister Pitchcar Mini for Christmas.

I'd never heard of this before, but that looks really awesome. Sick jump.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Truant posted:

Awesome! I got 126 with catapulter on my second playtest. Starting with a longship definitely makes the beginning a lot easier. I actually never went for the home board rock bonus. My first turn was explore immediately, raid for get fibula then and that double bonus on Iceland by the second turn.

My first playtest was with Faroe Islands, and meh. I've only explored that island once "successfully," where I ended up getting... 4 sheep from the bonus. And I honestly don't remember how I did that, bahaha.

I was kind of worried it'd be too easy, but I think requiring 4 longships kind of balances it out.

I'm already brainstorming for the second scenario! I think it won't be a weekly thing, I'll just update with whatever be scenarios I come up with whenever I can. Feel free to devise your own and post them, though! Once I get a leaderboard figured out I'll try to centralize the scenarios. Maybe make an entirely separate Gmail account that we all have access to.

I'm also trying to think of a crossover with our games, such as be buildings or a weird island or something(trying to figure out how to do a Vikings in space scenario... :awesomelon:)

Oh! I missed those setup bonuses! Since I bought a longship on the last turn for silver, that makes my score 125.

Can you make a full bullet list for setup bonuses for future ones?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Safety Biscuits posted:

Looks like I'm the third guy in the thread to get Prosperity for Christmas. I also got Coup and Avalon; any advice for Avalon for people who haven't played it before?

Vanilla blue is a way better role than you think.
Don't use Merlin without the Assassin, or the game will be basically impossible for red.
Don't use Percival without Morgana, or the game will be basically impossible for red.
Mordred is a difficulty modifier that makes the game easier for red.
Oberon is a difficulty modifier that makes the game easier for blue.
Lady of the Lake is really good but causes more arguments. Use it with or without characters at will.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Oh! I missed those setup bonuses! Since I bought a longship on the last turn for silver, that makes my score 125.

Can you make a full bullet list for setup bonuses for future ones?

I absolutely can! I phone posted that whole thing, so my apologies for it being unorganized. :blush:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Played sushi go party with the family, this may be the first game we've played where everyone actually had a good time - The last game we played as a family was Mexican Train which (a) is hardly a game and (b) tilted me harder than anything ever. Through as I was packing up I noticed I didnt have a divider/randomizer for Pudding for whatever reason, so I guess I need to contact the distributor.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sushi Go! Party is great, they really knocked it out of the park. I was curious if the new cards would be accessible to my mom, who likes games, but doesn't like complexity that much, but after a little grousing she picked them up right away, and won the first match.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Winning the first match does wonders for encouraging someone to play again.

We've been enjoying Fuji Flush this weekend. Got in a couple games of Dominion as well (and I lost both of them doggone it)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Got and played Bang: The Dice Game with the in-laws. It's a pretty significant improvement over the old card version, which my group used to play pretty often. Definitely a good game for a group of casual/non-gamers.

Otherwise, also got Blood Rage, Race for the Galaxy (have played several times but it's been a while and I've never owned it) and King of Tokyo.

Basically just recently rediscovered board games over the last couple of months and I'm pretty psyched.

I mostly play games two player with my wife who doesn't mind competition but straight-up aggression in games can get a little awkward. Thinking that Blood Rage should probably be reserved for my other friends, but RftG and KoT should be fine, right? RftG is pretty much two-player solitaire if I remember right.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Got and played Bang: The Dice Game with the in-laws. It's a pretty significant improvement over the old card version, which my group used to play pretty often. Definitely a good game for a group of casual/non-gamers.

Otherwise, also got Blood Rage, Race for the Galaxy (have played several times but it's been a while and I've never owned it) and King of Tokyo.

Basically just recently rediscovered board games over the last couple of months and I'm pretty psyched.

I mostly play games two player with my wife who doesn't mind competition but straight-up aggression in games can get a little awkward. Thinking that Blood Rage should probably be reserved for my other friends, but RftG and KoT should be fine, right? RftG is pretty much two-player solitaire if I remember right.

Race is best with two, using the advanced two player rules. It is by far the game I have played the most with my wife. Highly recommend picking up the Alien Artifacts expansion, ignoring the Orb module, and not touching any other expansions.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What do you guys think of Kingdom builder big box? I got it for my brother, hoping I didnt gently caress up

edit: seems like i did, there is no fifth player even though it says its supposd to have one

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 26, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Codenames ended up being a hit. First round was a little rough, but then people got into the swing of things. Every round came down to a single card difference between the teams, and lots of blunders and questionable decisions to laugh at.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What do you guys think of Kingdom builder big box? I got it for my brother, hoping I didnt gently caress up

edit: seems like i did, there is no fifth player even though it says its supposd to have one

Yeah, this was straight up missing from the entire print run and good luck contacting Queen for complaints.

People say don't buy anything from WizKids but they at least address your concerns (even if they gently caress up again). Queen won't even answer the phone.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

al-azad posted:

Yeah, this was straight up missing from the entire print run and good luck contacting Queen for complaints.

People say don't buy anything from WizKids but they at least address your concerns (even if they gently caress up again). Queen won't even answer the phone.

So I made a mistake just buying a Queen game?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Played a lot of Sushi Go Party tonight and wow, they actually found a way to make a great game even better. Looks nicer too. I could probably play this game all day.

Also some Oregon Trail: The Card Game. I mean, it's a bad game. The Bad Stuff Happens deck has a 1 in 8 chance of killing you outright with no recourse if you draw from it. Those odds get worse as people draw from it since it doesn't get shuffled. Basically playing this with any less than the max of 6 is a guaranteed death sentence. We had a lot of fun roleplaying during the duration at least.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Ravendas posted:

Flipped through 30 pages ctrl-f'ing for 'trek, but didn't see anything on Star Trek: Ascendancy.

I love Eclipse, and this looks like a game in a similar vein, but Trek-y. Reviews seem to be good overall, though some point out that the game is basically a race for the culture resource. Most reviews are also on the 3p version, but I'd be getting the expansions and playing with 4 or 5, so I'm not sure how well I can believe them.

Any opinions in here on the game?

It's solid, but combat is the risk style 'piles of doom' rather than anything clever and tactical. There isn't enough meat on the bones to support the length of the game compared to other 4x games.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

lordsummerisle posted:

I got The Colonists for christmas. The game looks really daunting. How complete of a game is playing only eras 1-2?
It's fine. I'd also say it's a good place to stop the game for first time players, since you see how a new era changes things up with new buildings, resources and so on, without them getting overwhelmed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man its been awhile since I played Caverna and I got totally stomped because I couldnt remember what anything does.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Had to cancel my order for the colonists cause my wife got it for me for christmas. It took me 1 1/2 hours to sort all the bits, buildings and landscape tiles into a plano Box and a counter tray. Still had to rearange everything several times before I could close the box again.

There is just so much stuff.

Can't wait to try it out.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
My cousin got Codenames Undercover from our secret santa so we played it instead of regular codenames. Synonyms everywhere and very little room for more interesting clue-giving. Frustrating to play.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Quick colonists strategy question.

There are four main ways to generate points, right? Employing citizens, buildings, selling goods and money generation via buildings? Am I missing something?

And is it feasable to concentrate on one or do you just mix and match for the best results? It seems to me atm that you have to mix it up but I haven't played it yet so who knows.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 26, 2016

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Selecta84 posted:

Quick colonists strategy question.

There are three main ways to generate points, right? Employing citizens, selling goods and money generation via buildings? Am I missing something?

And is it feasable to concentrate on one or do you just mix and match for the best results?
Buildings and embassies are also worth points on their own.
Employing people are worth a lot of points if you can sustain them, but everyone gets them eventually, so results may vary. It's very much an optimization exercise, so people (that I've played with) usually have a general, long term strategy that they want to follow, but grab whatever they can getting there on the main board. Short term strategies vary a lot by the main board's layout and what colonies are in play.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Electric Hobo posted:

Buildings and embassies are also worth points on their own.
Employing people are worth a lot of points if you can sustain them, but everyone gets them eventually, so results may vary. It's very much an optimization exercise, so people (that I've played with) usually have a general, long term strategy that they want to follow, but grab whatever they can getting there on the main board. Short term strategies vary a lot by the main board's layout and what colonies are in play.

Yeah, I forgot the buildings. Edited them in.

I see your points and try to keep them if them mind.

Thanks

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Played Sushi Go Party. Great game. Somewhat angry about the insert, though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

theroachman posted:

Re: 2p competitive dungeon crawl

Mage Knight? Though admittedly it's at its worst when played in competitive mode. And it's not really a dungeon crawl in the strict sense because the dungeons are just single tiles in a world map. On the other hand it is though. You level up, you gear up, you can hire other party members, you slay a bunch of monsters...
So it's not really a dungeon crawler and competitive is its worst aspects, why exactly are you recommending this for a 2p comp crawler then? I know MK and it's a great game, but so is Dungeon Lords and it's still not what I looked for.

Bottom Liner posted:

You want Arcadia Quest. You're competing with the other players for pvp/pve objectives to win each scenario.
poo poo, I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

al-azad posted:

I see a million copies of Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower and on one hand it's GW, but on the other hand it looks pretty because it's GW.

Anyway the big talk I hear is Descent with the new app is great. Imperial Assault is also good even as a 2 player rebel-vs-empire setup.
And on the third hand (because Tzeentch) it's still GW. Mini design is decent to poo poo and the rules are almost certain to be poo poo.
ImpAss has a skirmish mode you say? I'll have to look into it, I don't like SW but I can adapt it into a sort of Descent 1.5 ruleset I'm making.

taser rates posted:

Earth Reborn is right up your alley. Awesome tactical miniature 2p game designed by Christophe Boelinger, the same guy that designed Dungeon Twister. You can somewhat feel its DNA in there, but it's very much its own beast.
Another thing I had to be reminded of. I have the minis on my painting table right now.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Pierzak posted:

So it's not really a dungeon crawler and competitive is its worst aspects, why exactly are you recommending this for a 2p comp crawler then? I know MK and it's a great game, but so is Dungeon Lords and it's still not what I looked for.

I didn't say "Mage Knight, definitely, buy it now now now!" I said "Mage Knight?" and then went on to explain how it might or might not be what you want. I'm not sure what more you want from a random dude on the internet.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

theroachman posted:

I didn't say "Mage Knight, definitely, buy it now now now!" I said "Mage Knight?" and then went on to explain how it might or might not be what you want. I'm not sure what more you want from a random dude on the internet.
You went on explaining how it's exactly not what I wrote, it sounded like someone who just realized MK was great and started recommending it as the panaceum for all the world's ails. Sorry if I misunderstood :shobon: also I probably should've phrased my post much more unambiguously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I know that MK was getting too many recommendations here in the past, so I understand where you're coming from. It straddles many categories, one of which is (imho) dungeon crawl.