Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
archaeon why

:(

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

my dad posted:

archaeon why

:(

tough break kiddo

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
That's the problem with WoC in general in this game tbh, they are just huge stacks of heavily armored dudes. But it's not boring instead it is fun because they are cool and metal and the most badass of all badasses because corruuuuption and chaos and wow look at all the ornaments on this guys armor isn't that cool? chaos undivided bitches *autoresolves every battle when playing WoC because manually playing them out is boring as gently caress*

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The other problem Chaos has is the Gods are micromanaging jerks who kinda take all the character out of any character who serves them because of their incessant intervention.

This is one reason the Horned Rat owns. The comparison of Archaon to a fail video? The entire Skaven species is that for the Horned Rat. He's happy to just sit back and laugh his rear end off while they blow themselves up and scrabble their way into more death piles and hilarious failure.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Night10194 posted:

The other problem Chaos has is the Gods are micromanaging jerks who kinda take all the character out of any character who serves them because of their incessant intervention.

Counterpoint: Sigvald.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

Counterpoint: Sigvald.

Okay yes Sigvald is the exception that proves the rule.

E: But that's because how could you possibly go wrong with a wandering Swedish cross between a JoJo and He-Man on an endless road-trip to do whatever the gently caress he feels like?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Martout posted:

That's the problem with WoC in general in this game tbh, they are just huge stacks of heavily armored dudes. But it's not boring instead it is fun because they are cool and metal and the most badass of all badasses because corruuuuption and chaos and wow look at all the ornaments on this guys armor isn't that cool? chaos undivided bitches *autoresolves every battle when playing WoC because manually playing them out is boring as gently caress*

Imagine two armies of Marauder Horsemen chasing each other, forever.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
sigvald works due to just reveling in the whole absurdity of a hyper murder narcissist who gets by because he's daddy's spoiled little angel. he's got tons of flaws so his strengths dont come off as boring or absurd, and he's fun to behold but he's still a big enough dick that he's definitely a credible threatening Bad Guy.

the Dragon Ogre dude is also a bit dull but he's just big, mad and strong without being all superboy prime about poo poo.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
There are plenty of decent LL options for Chaos (where is Valkia the Bloody CA??), it's just unfortunate that GW decided to make the blandest character of them all the leader of the faction and the endboss of this game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kainser posted:

There are plenty of decent LL options for Chaos (where is Valkia the Bloody CA??), it's just unfortunate that GW decided to make the blandest character of them all the leader of the faction and the endboss of this game.

I'm guessing GW wouldn't let them do otherwise. GW loving LOVES Archaon. So much that he's basically the only character who got transferred over to Age of Sigmar where he's still the super 'awesome' big bad who also hates the gods but does everything they tell him to.

Archaon: The Poochy of the Old World.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Kainser posted:

(where is Valkia the Bloody CA??)

She the one who DOOMGUY-ed her way to Khorne's throne, right?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Kanos posted:

Imagine two armies of Marauder Horsemen chasing each other, forever.

yummy... that's why it's so amazingly cathartic to take a well built archer Welf army to Norsca and just poo poo all over them

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Night10194 posted:

But that's because how could you possibly go wrong with a wandering Swedish cross between a JoJo and He-Man on an endless road-trip to do whatever the gently caress he feels like?

You simply cannot strike out seeing a Swedish scion of sexuality sally forth, swaggering swole swinging sensuality secreting sensational stardom.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Archaon is a winner, and unlike the losers elsewhere, he never doesn't win. If he loses then it's not canon, because losing isn't what a winner does.

This sounds like Trump's campaign promises. Though Sigvald would fit far better.

Also where the heck did that art come from?

Edit: Oh god. I just noticed the skulls. :allears:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 26, 2016

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I'm playing my first vampire campaign and got a quest to go way out to the rear end end of the badlands to retrieve a fancy sword or something. Won't the army take attrition the whole way? How do you manage to get there and back without all the skeleton boys falling apart?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
You only need to send a necromancer or a banshee, depending on which step of the quest line you're on. Yes you need to do both eventually.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Comrayn posted:

I'm playing my first vampire campaign and got a quest to go way out to the rear end end of the badlands to retrieve a fancy sword or something. Won't the army take attrition the whole way? How do you manage to get there and back without all the skeleton boys falling apart?

Click the button to teleport to the quest battle. You only need to get an agent there.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I got a big pile of Christmas cash and had planned to get this game and all of the DLC, are they all worth the price point? A little writeup on each of them and the cool poo poo they bring would be cool.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Verranicus posted:

I got a big pile of Christmas cash and had planned to get this game and all of the DLC, are they all worth the price point? A little writeup on each of them and the cool poo poo they bring would be cool.

Unless you play multiplayer, my opinion would be grabbing the base game, playing one of those campaigns a little to get a feel for it, then get the expansion for the faction you actually like, and if you've done that and still want more, look at getting them then. It's not the sort of game where you really need to grab everything at once.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The expansions for this TW are much more worthwhile than those for other entries in the series, but like Yukitsu said, play the base game a bit to make sure you like it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Also, all the doc factions are included in the main campaign even if you don't have them, so if you run up against them and think "I want to fight as them" good news, that's ten kinds of doable.

Warning, may involve thinking playing Chaos wouldn't suck.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Has anyone played with the Campaigns of the Old World mod? I'm about halfway through a game of it. Honestly other than Karl getting a +10 diplomacy with empire factions I'm not noticing much gameplay difference

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah I'm going to have to agree. I actually think it's almost a mistake to buy the wood elf and beastmen expansions right away (unless you are really attached to those factions from the tabletop game or whatever). Don't get me wrong I love both of those expansions, but you can only play one faction at a time anyway so you may as well play a few of the base game factions to see if the game 'clicks' with you before spending extra money.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

every faction needs an image of big metal baby man dying

I had a Giant pick him up and throw him in my last Greenskin Campaign. That was fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nash posted:

You simply cannot strike out seeing a Swedish scion of sexuality sally forth, swaggering swole swinging sensuality secreting sensational stardom.

Simply scandalous, scintillating sermons, servant!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah I'm going to have to agree. I actually think it's almost a mistake to buy the wood elf and beastmen expansions right away (unless you are really attached to those factions from the tabletop game or whatever). Don't get me wrong I love both of those expansions, but you can only play one faction at a time anyway so you may as well play a few of the base game factions to see if the game 'clicks' with you before spending extra money.

I agree. Further, chaos, beastmen and elves are not good factions for a first playthrough. You might as well figure out the game and how much you enjoy it before committing a ton of extra cash.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
The reason I'd advise holding off on buying the DLCs is they drastically prolong replayability.

I won with Ungrim, then I won with the High King. Then the DLC came out for Belegar and I won with Angrund then I got hold of the Grombrindal code and did a playthrough with him too since it had been a while since I played regular old dwarves and I hadn't ever won with them using RoR.

But I'm the sort of guy who likes to make sex last two or even three minutes so I'm pretty patient.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Verranicus posted:

Okay, first off, as already mentioned all of these are used by the AI even if you don't have them, so don't feel like you need to buy one that you have no interest in, especially in the case of Races. Beastmen will still show even if you don't have their DLC, for example.

Chaos Warriors Race Pack - Okay, what I wrote above? One minor exception here. Chaos has several units tied to this Race Pack that the AI won't field if you don't own this DLC. Two of their named characters (Prince Sigvald the Magnificent and Kholek Suneater), a couple unit variants (Great Weapon Chaos Warriors, Halberd Chosen, Armored Trolls, and Gorebeast Chariots), and a couple units (Forsaken, Dragon Ogres/Shaggoths). That said, I can't say I really see the AI field these much in campaign anyways, aside from the named characters, and I don't feel like any of the units mentioned are particularly indispensable, so you should be fine skipping this if it doesn't interest you. As for the campaign itself: I personally hate it. Chaos Warriors have slow troop replenishment unless you constantly merge damaged units and recruit new ones, have no ambush stance so you can't hide from the AI, and take attrition damage if their armies are too close together which encourages you to spread out and in turn get your armies dogpiled. They are a Horde faction, meaning that they do not have permanent settlements, but instead that their armies serve as a sort of moving settlement, allowing you to recruit anywhere by entering Encampment Stance, but the tradeoff is that you're generally reliant on pillaging/winning battles for your income, and that losing an army is devastating.

Blood for the Blood God - This is a very cheap DLC that adds a few global events to the game that will temporarily buff stats on all factions' troops, as well as adding blood and gore to the game, allowign units to be dismembered and such. Some Vampire Counts units will sometimes continue to fight even after losing limbs (seen it with Crypt Ghouls, Zombies, Skeletons). The reason blood isn't in the base game is because some regions have stricter policies on blood in games, and selling it separately as a DLC lets the base game be sold in those regions where it wouldn't be able to be sold if it had this built-in.

Call of the Beastmen - A Campaign Pack DLC, this allows you to play as the Beastmen, as well as adding a minicampaign to the game. The minicampaign focuses on a zoomed-in region of the Empire, and has you play as Khazrak One-Eye while he rampages around and seeks revenge against his archenemy Boris Todbringer. Completing this minicampaign allows you to use Boris Todbringer in both single- and multi-player Custom Battles. The Beastmen faction, in the campaign, focuses on hit-and-run tactics. They are a horde like Chaos Warriors, but their Encampment stance hides them from sight like other armies' Ambush stance, meaning that if the AI doesn't get lucky, it'll lose sight of you and pull its armies back. Every few turns, an event will trigger giving you a set of choices based on the moon, each with their upsides and downsides, and Beastmen only have two choices when conquering a settlement: Loot and Raze or Raze and Defile, giving money or population respectively. Either choice, the settlement is destroyed. Troop-wise, the Beastmen units are based more around ambushing than the elite armored units of Chaos. Most Beastmen are relatively lightly armored, and several of their units have the Stalk ability, concealing them from enemy sight until they are close enough. The last major trait of the Beastmen is that their starting location differs vastly depending on which of their named characters you pick to start the campaign. Khazrak One-Eye starts down in Estalia, Malagor the Dark Omen starts off in the Badlands, and Morghur the Shadowgave starts up by the northern coast of the Empire. Once again, as mentioned beforehand, if you are not personally interested in playing Beastmen, you can ignore this DLC and they sill still be present in your game.

The Grim and the Grave - This is a Lord Pack, a DLC that adds new units and named characters to specific factions. This one focuses on the Empire and the Vampire Counts. Empire gets Volkmar the Grim, a warrior-monk style character who focuses on buffing Flagellants (one of the new unit types) and buffing nearby allies with the use of Battle Prayers. Unit-wise, they get Flagellants, a block of lightly armored zealots who will never run from combat, Free Company Militia, a hybrid ranged-melee unit that uses both pistols and swords, Knights of the Blazing Sun, cavalry with Magical and Flaming attacks which make them particularly useful for dealing with Ethereal and Flammable units, and lastly the Arch-Lector lord, who serves a similar role as Volkmar does, but unnamed (and thus able to die permanently). Vampire Counts get Helman Ghorst, a Necromancer character who gives the faction increased research speed and has a unique variant of the Raise Dead spell that allows him to summon Grave Guard or a Wight King. Unit-wise, the Vampires get the Corpse Cart, a slow wagon that buffs nearby units and can be purchased in variants that hinder enemy spellcasting or add regeneration to its effects, the Mortis Engine, which slowly heals nearby troops and slowly damages nearby enemies, and the Strigoi Ghoul King, a lord that focuses on buffing Crypt Ghouls and Crypt Horrors and has a variant of the Raise Dead spell that lets him summon these units. Lastly, both the factions benefiting from this also gain access to Regiments of Renown, a set of unique units that are reskinned/tweaked versions of normal units and can be recruited in the campaign only after at least one lord has hit certain level thresholds.

The King and the Warlord - Another Lord Pack, this time focusing on the Dwarfs and Greenskins. Compared to The Grim and the Grave, the Lords added by this pack head up their own factions in the campaign, giving you the luxury of a different starting point and gameplay experience. Greenskins get Skarsnik, a goblin tactician who focuses on buffing goblin troops. His faction, Crooked Moon, can only recruit Orc units from one specific settlement, Karak Eight Peaks, but gets a discount on recruitment and upkeep costs for goblin units. Unit-wise, they gain Nasty Skulkers, ambushing goblins who get a buff to their stats when they are winning a combat, Squig Hoppers, armor-piercing cavalry good for dealing with Dwarf troops, Squig Herds, likewise armor-piercing and good at dealing with Dwarfs, and the Night Goblin Warboss, a Lord that buffs goblin units in much the same way as Skarsnik. Dwarfs get Belegar Ironhammer, heading up the Clan Angrund faction, who start with 4 Ancestor Ghost heroes. These heroes are Ethereal, massively reducing damage they take from non-magical attacks, have zero upkeep, cause Terror, and are immune to hostile agent actions on the campaign map. Unit-wise, they get Rangers, fast-moving ambushing crossbowmen, Bugman's Rangers, a slightly tweaked version, the Bolt-Thrower, a ballista, and the Runelord, a Lord that serves as a stronger counterpart to the Runepriest Hero, and thus focuses on buffing nearby units and debuffing enemy units. Both Crooked Moon and Clan Angrund start more westwards than the main Greenskin and Dwarf factions, starting towards about the midsection of the Empire, but have incentives to capture the fortress of Karak Eight Peaks - Unless Karak Eight Peaks is owned, Skarsnik suffers reduced public order in his provinces, while Belegar has increased upkeep costs for all his units. As with the Grim and the Grave, the factions in this gain access to Regiments of Renown units. Greenskins and Crooked Moon both get to field the new units, so you don't have to play Crooked Moon to get Skulkers or RoR units, and likewise with Clan Angrund/Dwarfs.

Realm of the Wood Elves - Another Campaign Pack, this allows you to play as the Wood Elves, operating out of Athel Loren in eastern Bretonnia. Their minicampaign revolves around restoring their holy tree while defending against Beastmen incursions, and takes place in a zoomed-in version of southern Bretonnia. Clearing this minicampaign allows you to use the Mousillon faction (recolored Vampire Counts) and the Red Duke in single- and multi-player Custom Battles. Wood Elves focus on a more lightly-armored, skirmishing style of combat. Many of their units are more lightly armored, and most of their ranged units can fire while moving, with several being able to fire in a full 360-degree arc around them. The Wood Elves uniquely can conquer and occupy any settlement, even the ones way up north in Norsca that other factions can't settle, but can only establish crappy little outposts outside of Athel Loren itself. Recently got a buff in a hotfix that increased the ranges on all their units and buffed the stats of some of their melee troops. Notably Wildwood Rangers apparently got about 9 extra damage more than they were supposed to get. Once again, as mentioned beforehand, if you are not personally interested in playing Wood Elves, you can ignore this DLC and they sill still be present in your game.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Archaon wouldn't be nearly as boring in this game if they'd actually put some unique Chaos God stuff into the game instead of chaos blandivided.

If chaos lords had a tree for each of the gods with sweet abilities and spells and Archaon was the only one to use them all he'd be an awesome character to use, as it is he's just armoured dude who can cast magic slightly worse than an actual sorcerer.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm just hoping that either CA don't do a preorder bonus faction for the other two games or, if they do, that they don't end up in the half-assed state WoC are now.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

LordAbaddon posted:

I'm just hoping that either CA don't do a preorder bonus faction for the other two games or, if they do, that they don't end up in the half-assed state WoC are now.

Technically a Pre-order race would be made by the same team who did Beastmen and Wood Elves, so there's some hope?

CA hasn't announced what the pre-order incentive will be for the next game but they did say there was definitely one being planned and the DLC team will start working on it after Brettonia comes out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Watch it be skaven and its just a horde with a Waagh mechanic.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

jokes posted:

There would be so much rage. I'd imagine a lot of people are expecting Thanquol and the amazing Skaven disasters that he brings just by being alive.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

jokes posted:

What's really important is that one of the Skaven events has two options and both are "THE MUSK OF FEAR"

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

What's really important is that one of the Skaven events has two options and both are "THE MUSK OF FEAR"

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Skaven armies should be 40 slots by default with around 30 slots restricted to the crappiest of crap troops and all their cool weapons being massive friendly fire murder machines.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I'm having a really rough time with the Wood Elf mini campaign. Can't seem to win a battle without taking tremendous losses against even the smallest armies, all the trees make it impossible to see and micromanage a fight, and by turn 20 the Beastmen start pouring in from the west with full stacks of their very top tier units. Plus, the Beastmen armies all seem to be in Forced March stance but are still capable of sacking settlements. Its impossible to catch up with them while they're able to outrun me and attack on the same turn.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Also you can almost certainly bet on a Skaven army having a Warpstone mechanic similar if not identical to the Wood Elf Amber mechanic. Being able to spend money to bribe a horde into existence would be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's when Thanquol summons the baddest demon by accident again.

• Locked thread