Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

gently caress off goon

Fatty spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe DancingShade is KAI LENG, bored of cereal!!!!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Can't believe the Vega slander ITT. It was refreshing to have a squaddie who was a normal enlisted dude out of his depth! His whole refusal to bang Shepard thing was cool too until they decided to undo that. More squaddies should actively avoid loving g the protagonist IMHO

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Maybe DancingShade is KAI LENG, bored of cereal!!!!

Pissing in vases is good and cool though. I hope we get a button prompt to do just that in ME:A during a mission.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I feel Mark Meer did a good job with the renegade options as Shepard, playing male paragon Shepard is alot less entertaining.

Also I agree I think one of Mass Effects problems was turning Cerberus from a fairly interesting side mission chain to front and center the driving force of the Mass Effect universe in ME2 (and increasing it even more in ME3) if you didn't do those side quests or read any of the books between the first game and the second Cerberus just springs into existence out of nowhere. The response I got from people is "Wtf is Cerberus" when the game came out. Also the N7 thing is barely referenced in ME1 & ME2 other than a brief codex blurb and its HAMMERED IN by ME3 which is loving weird because the world is ending anyway.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 26, 2016

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Cerberus is indicative of the developers not trusting the playerbase to be able to navigate a universe without a clear human antagonist element. It reeks of EAs influence and direction and framing the game as a competitor to the CODs and Halos as opposed to an RPG.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Cerberus is indicative of the developers not trusting the playerbase to be able to navigate a universe without a clear human antagonist element. It reeks of EAs influence and direction and framing the game as a competitor to the CODs and Halos as opposed to an RPG.

Jesus Christ, ME:A is probably going to have every other member of the human expedition be a secret Cerberus Agent just like loving Hydra infiltrating Shield.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jack2142 posted:

Also I agree I think one of Mass Effects problems was turning Cerberus from a fairly interesting side mission chain to front and center the driving force of the Mass Effect universe in ME2 (and increasing it even more in ME3) if you didn't do those side quests or read any of the books between the first game and the second Cerberus just springs into existence out of nowhere. The response I got from people is "Wtf is Cerberus" when the game came out.

Oh man, I thought my memory was just shot because I played the trilogy back-to-back-to-back and I didn't remember this Cerberus thing being a big deal in the first game.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Lobok posted:

Oh man, I thought my memory was just shot because I played the trilogy back-to-back-to-back and I didn't remember this Cerberus thing being a big deal in the first game.

I am playing through ME series again and yeah in one you literally are asked by some Admiral to investigate some of his troops that went missing. You find they were nommed by a Thresher Maw, you then work with him and he uncovers some organization operating within the Alliance called Cerberus, and you destroy some of their bases and he ends up getting killed. You get dirt on them and you can sell it to the Shadow Broker or hand it over to the Alliance. Cerberus was also behind the sole survivor background too so it makes Shepard supporting them in ME2 really loving awkward since they almost killed him before he got famous.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 26, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They were like "Holy poo poo, there's nothing to fight in ME3 but husks!" so their solution was to give Cerberus a big hulking army out of nowhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jack2142 posted:

I am playing through ME series again and yeah in one you literally are asked by some Admiral to investigate some of his troops that went missing. You find they were nommed by a Thresher Maw, you then work with him and he uncovers some organization operating within the Alliance called Cerberus, and you destroy some of their bases and he ends up getting killed. You get dirt on them and you can sell it to the Shadow Broker or hand it over to the Alliance. Cerberus was also behind the sole survivor background too so it makes Shepard supporting them in ME2 really loving awkward since they almost killed him before he got famous.

Well I remember a bunch of that stuff so I guess I just didn't quite recall their name or their infamy, if they were supposed to be super well-known. Because right from the get-go in ME2 everybody's like WTF so it was clearly meant as some kind of household name organization.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I know that Keng or Lang (the ninja dude) or whatever ate cereal in one of the ME books when he broke into Anderson's apartment, but am I imagining that he also pissed or shat in a potted plant or something there as well?

For some reason I would swear by God that that also happened.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

gently caress off goon

lol no you

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Drifter posted:

I know that Keng or Lang (the ninja dude) or whatever ate cereal in one of the ME books when he broke into Anderson's apartment, but am I imagining that he also pissed or shat in a potted plant or something there as well?

For some reason I would swear by God that that also happened.

That entire book is written in this interminable style

The guy eating Anderson's breakfast was a highlight not a lowlight

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I miss the Cerberus news website that talks about galactic politics, what background characters are up to, and how space people celebrate Christmas and Eid.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

I miss the Cerberus news website that talks about galactic politics, what background characters are up to, and how space people celebrate Christmas and Eid.

Truly, peak Mass Effect was the first year after #2 launched and fever was at the all time high.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DancingShade posted:

Truly, peak Mass Effect was the first year after #2 launched and fever was at the all time high.

everyone was so excited for where they were gonna take it in ME3 :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll miss the planet blurbs in the star map in Andromeda. They were the best thing in the trilogy, just reading about all these planets and systems that had been mapped out and surveyed. I spend hours just jumping around systems reading up on the different worlds.

With so much of Andromeda probably being uncharted it'll be a shame to see those blurbs go.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

Jesus Christ, ME:A is probably going to have every other member of the human expedition be a secret Cerberus Agent just like loving Hydra infiltrating Shield.

It's pretty obvious to me:

quote:

If you hope to see your favorite Mass Effect alien race in Andromeda, you might walk away a little disappointed, as BioWare creative director Mac Walters stated not all existing Mass Effect races will appear in the game. He claims these omissions can be chalked up to "hopefully obvious reasons," implying some plot element can excuse their absence.

Cerberus kills all other races, there's only humans versus the new alien enemy.

I'm actually forcing myself to keep going with ME3 and one thing I noticed is that all the minor alien species barely appear or get any missions. I think I'm halfway through the game and I just saw one of those quadrupeds for the first time, and it was a bystander NPC with no voice lines. Haven't seen a single Jellyfish alien either. God, this game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

everyone was so excited for where they were gonna take it in ME3 :(

And it turned out to be the nearest public urinal covered in graffiti :smith:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nerdz posted:

I'm actually forcing myself to keep going with ME3 and one thing I noticed is that all the minor alien species barely appear or get any missions. I think I'm halfway through the game and I just saw one of those quadrupeds for the first time, and it was a bystander NPC with no voice lines. Haven't seen a single Jellyfish alien either. God, this game.
The big thing in ME4 will be "female" gendered alien models.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The missing arks is the result of a Cerberus plot to ensure humanity is the only race that reaches Andromeda. Unfortunately their plan backfires and humanity's ark comes late and the other races reached Andromeda centuries earlier.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Jack2142 posted:

Joke's on them, TIM shot himself in the head and it's 600 years later!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SubponticatePoster posted:

Joke's on them, TIM shot himself in the head and it's 600 years later!

TIM actually had his brain copied into an AI core and given a sexy robot body.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 26, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jack2142 posted:

TIM actually had his brain copied into an AI core and given a sexy robot body.

The best thing would be a EDI-like sexy android in ME:A that you can romance for robolove then it switches to entirely TIM voice during the intimate moments.

Or Harbinger voice, whatever.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

nerdz posted:

Watching the series get progressively more and more human centric and human primacist was extremely lame. The feeling in ME1 of being this small little trailblazer for a scrub race was nifty but it eventually became generic space macho human setting 9001.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Lobok posted:

They're not, but they're the only other recurring antagonist besides Saren and the Geth.

Even if you ignore their role in ME1 they were perfectly fine in ME2 because it's a completely new game so a new faction out of nowhere isn't a big deal, and you get more than enough context and background while playing. In the ME2 mirror of ME1 where the blue citadel is flipped to red omega, the council is flipped to Aria, and Citadel Space is flipped to the Terminus Systems, Cerberus are just the renegade version of the Systems Alliance.

hampig fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 26, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Cereal is terrible for you and full of sugar. Eat something else for breakfast.

:ssh: Cereal without sugar is a thing that exists

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Watching the series get progressively more and more human centric and human primacist was extremely lame. The feeling in ME1 of being this small little trailblazer for a scrub race was nifty but it eventually became generic space macho human setting 9001.

I thought they wrote themselves into that when your spectre status is revoked at the start of ME2 because of cerberus's involvement with you. Also you tell them to gently caress off.

To be honest I'm still not sure what killing shepard in the beginning of ME 2 actually accomplished other than checking off the jesus checklist box for "resurrection"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It made him part machine which ties into the synthesis ending and draws parallels to the organic vs robotic conflict and furthermore,

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

It's cool as heck

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I really hope that Bioware don't pull anything like Trespasser again. I loved the DLC, but letting your game end halfway through the climax and selling the real ending in a DLC is super lovely.

now youre thinking like an EA CEO

release ME:A as a sandbox game, add a storyline as DLC later

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are the ME all available on pc to play?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kingtheninja posted:

Yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kingtheninja posted:

ME3 requires EA's Origin platform.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

ME3 requires EA's Origin platform.

And if the server goes down you can't load your save games even in offline mode because while the main game works offline the DLC does not.

At least Origin is a lot more stable than it used to be now.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I thought they wrote themselves into that when your spectre status is revoked at the start of ME2 because of cerberus's involvement with you. Also you tell them to gently caress off.

To be honest I'm still not sure what killing shepard in the beginning of ME 2 actually accomplished other than checking off the jesus checklist box for "resurrection"

It reset your level and powers

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I really doubt they cared about explaining why you're level one again, I don't remember anything in game acknowledging that you're weaker beyond maybe being disorientated when you first wake up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

1. Allowed for the passage of time so that you returned to a changed galaxy.
2. Provided a plausible reason to work with Cerberus that fit into ME2's fringe space angle.
3. Gave almost an entirely new crew so that they all could be written with the chance of them dying in the suicide mission.
4. Reinforced Harbinger's obsession with Shepard and the "maybe humanity is special" question in ME2.
5. Shepard rebuilt partially through Reaper tech... conflict! Themes!

All of these things could have been accomplished in other ways, but that's how they chose to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The main change was in inspiration. ME1 is star trek to the bone, while ME2 is straight up Firefly.