Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mysterious frankie posted:

I really want to trust you when you say this, because I want to enjoy a Witcher game, but I've been burned twice before. So I ask you, in all seriousness, if I buy The Witcher 3- keeping in mind I went in enthusiastic but did not enjoy the first two- will I enjoy it?

What didn't you enjoy about the first 2? Or rather the 2nd game which is way closer to 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

I really want to trust you when you say this, because I want to enjoy a Witcher game, but I've been burned twice before. So I ask you, in all seriousness, if I buy The Witcher 3- keeping in mind I went in enthusiastic but did not enjoy the first two- will I enjoy it?

For me, the thing preventing me from really digging into the series has always been the characters who seem unlikable to a man with the exception of Geralt, who I heavily sympathize with for being subjected to these poo poo-covered peasants, rapacious rulers, and gently caress witches. I beat 1 and 2 and mostly enjoyed the experience, but 3 was too large in scope and I gave up after 30 hours or so. I may return to it someday just to say I completed the series, but every time I get an inkling to do so I remind myself "are you really up for spending 60-100 hours with characters you don't give a poo poo about?", and play something else.

I'll reiterate the popular mantra about TW3: excellent writing, great quest structure, middling combat. My aversion to the characters is my own.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ROFL Octopus posted:

3 AP per level up, per character

No wonder I feel a bit underdeveloped on my current lv1 playthrough. Well, there's always fishing to compensate. Well see how long I can last. In order to survive later fights you need to grind HP bangles for all 4 characters.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 26, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What didn't you enjoy about the first 2? Or rather the 2nd game which is way closer to 3.

The controls in 2 are loving rear end terrible compared to 3.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

The controls in 2 are loving rear end terrible compared to 3.

Yeah it was a lot easier to settle on controller for TW3, whereas in 2 I switched between that and kb/m constantly for various different things because they were both so bad.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Does the dungeon map progress carry over to new game plus? I really don't want to map out crestholm channels again.

Also I didn't realize there was a weapons shop in the hammerhead during chap 14 (I swear I walked all over looking for one, but I could only find some plot documents) so now the only way I can get them is by replaying the game. Apparently I missed a unique conversation despite staying at the trailer too

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 26, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

WaltherFeng posted:

The oracle's duties are mentioned several times especially in radio broadcasts and news articles.

And no, it's very unlikely it's the same thing. Ardyn was corrupted and rejected by the Astrals and the crystal itself because of it. Luna is a servant of gods and shows no signs of corruption. Ardyn most likely used a more potent and definitive method of absorbing daemons at the expense of his humanity

there's no way to tell, but instead of being 'corrupted', luna was just dying instead, it's like one of the singular scenes we get about what shes doing for the entire game. Ardyn's corruption was just losing his humanity and then getting really pissed off that the gods didn't like that he became immortal by absorbing a disease one of them spread to humanity. it's kinda why i don't understand why people find him so cool etc, he's just a really pissed off dude.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

there's no way to tell, but instead of being 'corrupted', luna was just dying instead, it's like one of the singular scenes we get about what shes doing for the entire game. Ardyn's corruption was just losing his humanity and then getting really pissed off that the gods didn't like that he became immortal by absorbing a disease one of them spread to humanity. it's kinda why i don't understand why people find him so cool etc, he's just a really pissed off dude.

Luna was dying because of the contracts she kept making with the Astrals. Turns out that repeatedly making contact with the divine really fucks you up.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

In the first one the combat was awful and the characters and writing felt flat and off. In the second the combat was a little better, but not much, and nothing about the characters or story did enough for me to offset that the combat didn't grab me and the component gathering for crafting was a bland chore. Like, I want to enjoy the game because on paper the setting is extremely my jam, but the overall presentation fails to grab me and then I get too annoyed by the mechanics.

Witcher 1 brought the AHM HORNAY guy into my life, so I will never regret playing it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SectumSempra posted:

Ardyn is a really cool character because he's not entirely black and white. It's heavily implied that absorbing countless daemons from sick people didn't make him crazy at all; being spurned by the gods for his selfless sacrifice and then wandering the world for thousands of years unable to die made him crazy.

Which also explains why he doesn't just shoot Noctis in the back of the head the first chance he gets. He's been brewing a grudge for millennia, he wants to break Noctis like a kid pulling the wings and legs off a fly. Starting by making sure that Noct is set up to marry his childhood sweetheart only to murder her right in front of him right as they're supposed to get married. Then loving with Noctis' head to make him beat the poo poo out of one of his best friends. It would be cool if the DLC revealed that Ardyn blinded Ignis too, but SE already contradicted that possibility with the existing narrative.

Kinda weird that he'd leave the dirty work of killing Noctis' dad to Glauca instead of handling it personally though. I guess we can chalk that up to SE being incapable of nailing down the game's plot until the last possible minute; maybe Kingsglaive's development began back when the Emperor was still intended to be the main villain.

Also he's a little weird and creepy but he doesn't come off as being ecks dee monkeycheese lolsorandom at all, which adds to his menace considerably.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Luna was dying because of the contracts she kept making with the Astrals. Turns out that repeatedly making contact with the divine really fucks you up.

I have a feeling absorbing the same diseases as ardyn didn't help.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

Ardyn is a really cool character because he's not entirely black and white. It's heavily implied that absorbing countless daemons from sick people didn't make him crazy at all; being spurned by the gods for his selfless sacrifice and then wandering the world for thousands of years unable to die made him crazy.

Which also explains why he doesn't just shoot Noctis in the back of the head the first chance he gets. He's been brewing a grudge for millennia, he wants to break Noctis like a kid pulling the wings and legs off a fly. Starting by making sure that Noct is set up to marry his childhood sweetheart only to murder her right in front of him right as they're supposed to get married. Then loving with Noctis' head to make him beat the poo poo out of one of his best friends. It would be cool if the DLC revealed that Ardyn blinded Ignis too, but SE already contradicted that possibility with the existing narrative.

Kinda weird that he'd leave the dirty work of killing Noctis' dad to Glauca instead of handling it personally though. I guess we can chalk that up to SE being incapable of nailing down the game's plot until the last possible minute; maybe Kingsglaive's development began back when the Emperor was still intended to be the main villain.

Also he's a little weird and creepy but he doesn't come off as being ecks dee monkeycheese lolsorandom at all, which adds to his menace considerably.

he does and doesn't want to break noctis because he wants to break him but also wants to fight him at his strongest. it's feels familiar for some reason, I like Caius from xiii-2 a lot more. Ardyn's character felt flat, because instead of black and white he felt entirely like a villain when he first appeared. and never stopped feeling like a weird villain putting you in odd situations and then unbelievably getting you "out" of them. The time travel ability still doesn't quite make sense, but maybe he has his own luna (time travel is how he replaced himself with prompto IIRC). His villainy or the robust-ness of it everyone else seems to be feeling, feels like something else that was harmed by the games production. because scared hero that can't die and eventually becomes a villain once he's invincible, just felt very familiar. More back story might have helped

but we are all allowed our opinions.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

He doesn't want to just kill Noctis, he wants Noctis to kill him as well. He just leave Noctis no choice but to burn himself out in the process because the planet was doomed if he didn't. Ultimately, Ardyn is one of, if not the only villain in a FF that gets everything he wants

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

In the first one the combat was awful and the characters and writing felt flat and off. In the second the combat was a little better, but not much, and nothing about the characters or story did enough for me to offset that the combat didn't grab me and the component gathering for crafting was a bland chore. Like, I want to enjoy the game because on paper the setting is extremely my jam, but the overall presentation fails to grab me and then I get too annoyed by the mechanics.

Witcher 1 brought the AHM HORNAY guy into my life, so I will never regret playing it.

Well the combat in 3 is improved from 2(and definitely from 1). Gathering for potions is a bit different too. You just need to craft the potion / bomb once, then when you rest the uses are automatically restored provided you have a strong alcohol in your inventory(it's plentiful and everywhere). Sounds like you should give it a try. And if you are on PC, you can just mod away any stuff you still find annoying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

I have a feeling absorbing the same diseases as ardyn didn't help.

Their methods were different. Ardyn was originally healing the Starscourge without divine aid, meaning he somehow hoovered the plague into his own body and stored it there. But when the Astrals finally decided to intervene, they decided that the accumulation of all that daemonic essence had left Ardyn "tainted," and granted their boons to someone else in his family line instead. The Oracle's healing arts just outright purge the sickness instead of transferring it. Ardyn didn't have that luxury.

He's a refreshingly direct villain after the absolute mess of the series' previous few badguys like the idiot pantheon of FFXIII - he's a dude who got really badly screwed over by the whims of the gods, so now he just loving hates the protagonist on a deep and personal level and dedicates all his efforts to making his life miserable.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

At the end of the game, a chunk of Insomnia is promptly deposited in the middle of another universe's upside down Spain.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can ignore crafting entirely in Witcher 3 and easily break the combat portion part of the game. That's what I did on the 2nd hardest difficulty.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

I am an avowed witcher non-liker and found the problems that made witcher one and two unplayable for me have been made better, but it was still a chore for me to finish the game, and I would not recommend its purchase.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just got to chapter 14. Time to save the world aka go back and get the rest of the royal arms because the game doesn't make you get them for reasons???

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

RC Cola posted:

I just got to chapter 14. Time to save the world aka go back and get the rest of the royal arms because the game doesn't make you get them for reasons???

This was one of the weirder things to me in the end. Just a moment while I was fighting some of the final battles "... wait wasn't like half the point of me running around to collect all the weapons?" But then I think (at least) one is in a post-game dungeon. Or maybe Costlemark isn't post-game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ugato posted:

This was one of the weirder things to me in the end. Just a moment while I was fighting some of the final battles "... wait wasn't like half the point of me running around to collect all the weapons?" But then I think (at least) one is in a post-game dungeon. Or maybe Costlemark isn't post-game.

It's not. You can get them all beforehand. Castlemark just loving sucks. So is there any particular recipe that gives Ignis tons of XP? I just got everyone to 98-99 so all I have left to do is getting their skills to 10. Prompto and Gladio are almost done but I still have cooking and fishing at level 6.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Oxxidation posted:

Where does the game say this? I think I listened to all the broadcasts and I never heard something like that, even if some scenes definitely hint towards it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Their methods were different. Ardyn was originally healing the Starscourge without divine aid, meaning he somehow hoovered the plague into his own body and stored it there. But when the Astrals finally decided to intervene, they decided that the accumulation of all that daemonic essence had left Ardyn "tainted," and granted their boons to someone else in his family line instead. The Oracle's healing arts just outright purge the sickness instead of transferring it. Ardyn didn't have that luxury.

He's a refreshingly direct villain after the absolute mess of the series' previous few badguys like the idiot pantheon of FFXIII - he's a dude who got really badly screwed over by the whims of the gods, so now he just loving hates the protagonist on a deep and personal level and dedicates all his efforts to making his life miserable.

the more you guys talk about ardyn, the less differences I see between him and Caius Ballad from XIII-2, their reasons diverge and their methods do too (mainly in that they both do the omnipresent thing), but in the end caius kinda gets what he aimed for and their goals are pretty much the same. except Caius' were to save someone, and Ardyn is because the gods burned him. :shrug:

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 26, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SectumSempra posted:

the more you guys talk about ardyn, the less differences I see between him and Caius Ballad from XIII-2, their reasons diverge and their methods do too (mainly in that they both do the omnipresent thing), but in the end caius kinda gets what he aimed for. :shrug:

Caius sort of gets what he wants and then it all goes to poo poo in FFXIII-3 anyways so in the end he has nothing. Ardyn gets literally everything he wants by the end of the game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Does anyone have any sort of stat chart for level ups? I want to know how much stats I'm missing out on

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
To the guy asking about Witcher 3. As someone who enjoyed the previous games and have read most of the books, don't bother. The gameplay and story are way too shallow for the gigantic time investment the game wants from you. 40 hours in I was bored out of my mind and looked up how much there was left, and afterwards I simply uninstalled.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's not. You can get them all beforehand. Castlemark just loving sucks. So is there any particular recipe that gives Ignis tons of XP? I just got everyone to 98-99 so all I have left to do is getting their skills to 10. Prompto and Gladio are almost done but I still have cooking and fishing at level 6.

Spam cook the mystery meat recipe. Takes like 60 total to go from 1-10.

Renoistic posted:

To the guy asking about Witcher 3. As someone who enjoyed the previous games and have read most of the books, don't bother. The gameplay and story are way too shallow for the gigantic time investment the game wants from you. 40 hours in I was bored out of my mind and looked up how much there was left, and afterwards I simply uninstalled.

I don't know how you can like the previous games and not enjoy Witcher 3, which did everything way better than the first 2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Where does the game say this? I think I listened to all the broadcasts and I never heard something like that, even if some scenes definitely hint towards it.

Like with all of the game's important plot points, you get one line about it if you're lucky. Right before you come to Altissia there's a scene with Ravus and Ardyn, where Ardyn talks about Ravus' reluctance to allow Luna to commune with Leviathan and says, "I know the price of the pact." Basically insinuating that Ravus was so bent on stopping Luna from helping Noctis because her assistance meant talking with the Astrals, and it was killing her.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Caius sort of gets what he wants and then it all goes to poo poo in FFXIII-3 anyways so in the end he has nothing. Ardyn gets literally everything he wants by the end of the game

nah end of 13-3, she becomes a goddess (etro) and is no longer dying infinitly, so he got what he wanted, and he gets to live with the others who no longer die in the alternate realm

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I have to say, thats fair, but you're in a minority.

I say try the game out.

The sidequests are marvelous.

and the game combat was fun to me (but I went all signs, because magic is always best)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Like with all of the game's important plot points, you get one line about it if you're lucky. Right before you come to Altissia there's a scene with Ravus and Ardyn, where Ardyn talks about Ravus' reluctance to allow Luna to commune with Leviathan and says, "I know the price of the pact." Basically insinuating that Ravus was so bent on stopping Luna from helping Noctis because her assistance meant talking with the Astrals, and it was killing her.

it just seems odd then that they included the scene, when she talks to ravus about how she's weak and she can't give the ring to noctis

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SectumSempra posted:

nah end of 13-3, she becomes a goddess (etro) and is no longer dying infinitly, so he got what he wanted, and he gets to live with the others who no longer die in the alternate realm

No, like I dont think Caius expected things to be the way they were after he did what he did in FFXIII-2. He clearly wasn't happy with how things turned out when you find him in lightning returns.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'm so happy that they killed the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos with 13.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No, like I dont think Caius expected things to be the way they were after he did what he did in FFXIII-2. He clearly wasn't happy with how things turned out when you find him in lightning returns.

I'm pretty sure Ardyn didn't expect to lose either in the end, it worked out for him because he's no longer invincible, but yeah we;'re splitting hairs, they both succeeded

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

exploded mummy posted:

I'm so happy that they killed the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos with 13.

The Lucis line venerating a death god in the original concept was sort of neat but I like dragon Optimus Prime too

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Personally I thought the whole waiting-until-Noctis-is-strongest thing was just making sure he had enough oomph for the final plan to go through, and make it stick. Not a strictly for :lol: thing.

After all, he does actually get killed by one of the Gods at one point, and just pops right back up again after. So it probably needed a bit more juice to put 'em down for good.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

limited posted:

Personally I thought the whole waiting-until-Noctis-is-strongest thing was just making sure he had enough oomph for the final plan to go through, and make it stick. Not a strictly for :lol: thing.

After all, he does actually get killed by one of the Gods at one point, and just pops right back up again after. So it probably needed a bit more juice to put 'em down for good.

I never got the impression that Ardyn wanted to die as part of his ultimate plan. My take was that his goal was to destroy all this business with the gods, the crystal, and the Insomnian king, but the only way for him to destroy the crystal was for the chosen king to claim its power and then get murdered; that's why he was helping Noctis along all this time. Maybe he was okay with dying as long as he got his revenge on the system that spurned him, but I didn't get the sense that he actually wanted to.

Could've easily been explained on a random piece of paper lying around that I missed, though.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Augus posted:

The big thing Witcher 3 does over the previous two is that the combat isn't a total mess

I like combat in the first two. What changed for 3?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I like combat in the first two. What changed for 3?

It's mostly 2 but with some quality-of-life improvements. You can drink potions mid-battle, for starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Oxxidation posted:

It's mostly 2 but with some quality-of-life improvements. You can drink potions mid-battle, for starters.

So the usual goon hyperbole then, ok

• Locked thread