Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

having not beat KOTOR 2 yet can someone spoil what you guys mean by pissing on the dichotomy of the force? right now it's just been "mysterious space lady is teaching you and revan is missing while you eradicate the jedi" even 20 hours in

I think KOTOR 2 is best experienced through the Scorchy Let's Play: http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

But you won't miss anything in SWTOR by not finishing it. There's a certain cameo during Taral V and Maelstrom Prison flashpoints but it's not very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Conskill posted:

The ha-ha funny twist of it all is the Kreia is a Sith Lord. Full stop. Despite her protestations, despite her philosophizing about the nature of the Force, she was and is the fallen Jedi, master of Sith Lords, Darth Traya herself.

The exploration of what goes into being a Light Sider or Dark Sider is interesting, but Kreia is never above the system. She is yet another Sith Lord trying to corrupt yet another Jedi.

KOTET spoilers...

I really like that they did a similar thing with Valkorian in the end. For all his bluster for being beyond Light and Dark, beyond death itself... in the end, he was born a Sith Lord, and was ultimately defeated while ranting about his powers very much like a Sith Lord.

For me, it also puts a lot of things that he said in a different perspective. I genuinely think that the Eternal Empire was a Plan B for him, and the reason why he decided to take that route was that he had lost all control of the Sith Empire at that point.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
When people start going on about gray this and gray that in Star Wars they're basically wanting the Order/Chaos system from the Recluse series.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Can't remember if I mentioned this, but if you level through Heroics from 65-70 in the same week you hit 70, you can open the Galactic Command terminal and keep picking planetary missions until you get to the Heroics you already did, and it will give you the Command XP for it immediately.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Can't remember if I mentioned this, but if you level through Heroics from 65-70 in the same week you hit 70, you can open the Galactic Command terminal and keep picking planetary missions until you get to the Heroics you already did, and it will give you the Command XP for it immediately.

Also PvP is the fastest way to get CXP. If your a crafter then Black Talon HM is real nice...I can average ~6000 CXP an hour and it gives crafting materials as well.

They really need to raise the CXP for individual Heroics from 20 to at least 60 to make them competitive with other methods.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Also PvP is the fastest way to get CXP. If your a crafter then Black Talon HM is real nice...I can average ~6000 CXP an hour and it gives crafting materials as well.

They really need to raise the CXP for individual Heroics from 20 to at least 60 to make them competitive with other methods.

Yeah but it's far more likely that they'd lower the PvP rewards, at least for unranked. Then all the terrible people will move to Ranked!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Turbl posted:

I think KOTOR 2 is best experienced through the Scorchy Let's Play: http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

I agree wholeheartedly with you, and I think it says a lot that the best way to experience a game is to view an internet walkthrough of it.

Specifically, it says that the game is bad.

KOTOR2 is poo poo.

I have collected hundreds of videogames across dozens of platforms, ranging from the Atari 2600 to the modern PC. I've played good, bad, weird, and bland games of every genre ever since I was old enough to hold a joystick. Out of these decades of sampling everything that the medium has to offer, the only videogame that I played to completion and said "No, I do not want this to remain in my house anymore" was KOTOR2.

It went back to Gamestop, and I used the credit to buy... Hell, I don't remember. It may have been something good, it may have been something bad. But I still own whatever it was, unlike KOTOR2.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

I agree wholeheartedly with you, and I think it says a lot that the best way to experience a game is to view an internet walkthrough of it.

Specifically, it says that the game is bad.

KOTOR2 is poo poo.

I have collected hundreds of videogames across dozens of platforms, ranging from the Atari 2600 to the modern PC. I've played good, bad, weird, and bland games of every genre ever since I was old enough to hold a joystick. Out of these decades of sampling everything that the medium has to offer, the only videogame that I played to completion and said "No, I do not want this to remain in my house anymore" was KOTOR2.

It went back to Gamestop, and I used the credit to buy... Hell, I don't remember. It may have been something good, it may have been something bad. But I still own whatever it was, unlike KOTOR2.

KOTOR2 is the most dividing game I've ever seen. There are people that absolutely love it and think it's genius, and there are people that hate it and think it's rubbish. I don't think I've ever known anyone who was "Gray" on the game.

I've got it...two copies of it, actually...and have never gotten around to playing it.

Edit - At least we can all agree that the best Star Wars video game is Masters of Tera Kasi.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 26, 2016

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think it's pretty good, but the gameplay becomes mind numbingly boring after a while when you can one shot everything.

I did enjoy doing something different in the setting, and there's something delightful about the possibility that the lying liar was lying about her evil plan and philosophy because she lies and maybe she wanted you to kill her.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Medullah posted:

KOTOR2 is the most dividing game I've ever seen. There are people that absolutely love it and think it's genius, and there are people that hate it and think it's rubbish. I don't think I've ever known anyone who was "Gray" on the game.

I've got it...two copies of it, actually...and have never gotten around to playing it.

Edit - At least we can all agree that the best Star Wars video game is Masters of Tera Kasi. Tie Fighter.

Fixed that for you.

KOTOR 2 kinda grew on me, I was pissed at how incomplete it felt when i won the game years ago, with the Darth Nihilus fight ending up feeling so rushed, but I thought a character losing his/her connection to the force to survive and win the war was pretty cool to me. I felt that G0-T0 was one of the best characters written in that game.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Medullah posted:

Edit - At least we can all agree that the best Star Wars video game is Masters of Tera Kasi.

You're not the only one who's not gotten around to playing it yet. I do plan on giving it a playthrough after installing the recommended mods, same as eventually getting out of the tutorial on KOTOR. Despite not playing the games, I find the idea of re-evaluating the nature of the Force fascinating. I don't know if it's just from the usual perspectives changing over the years thing, and/or the more the fanbase gets obnoxiously pedantic with overanalysing and nitpicking everything about the franchise that I feel compelled to take the piss on it completely for laughs, but the almost vehement insistence I see from a good many on the SWTOR forums that the only interpretation of the Force is Light/Dark with all Jedi being Light all the time and all Sith being Dark all the time just seems so..banal.

I totally get the space opera thing of the good guys being ubergood and the bad guys being cartoonishly evil, but to me, that's something that only works for a short term story or two, not an elaborate franchise. Maybe it's from the assorted classes I've taken over the years, but I keep thinking we only keep getting shown the Jedi interpretation of things and who's to say that their interpretation's the right one? For example, the original Sith species keeps getting described as completely darksided and evil for their live sacrifices and incorporating war as a part of their culture, but I keep getting that same vibe of how in the real world example of how the early Spaniards were convinced the Aztecs were some sort of devil worshippers because of their practices just because they were different. But then again, this is probably me throwing in more thought into things than Bioware or Lucasarts ever did.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

KOTOR2 is the most dividing game I've ever seen.
It's also the most divided game, considering they only ever relased half of it. :iamafag:

And really a lot of dumbness in the franchise - even in many official spinoffs and licensed products - comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of the force, assuming there's a yin-yang sort of light/dark balance, when it's actually that there's "the force" that is the omnipresent bond between life and all that, and "the dark side" that's a corruption of this. It's not some sort of separate but equal thing, if you use the dark side you are inherently broken. Look at all the sith and villains throughout the actual movies - the Emperor is a scheming, power mad tyrant who gets his only joy from proving that others are as morally compromised as he is. Darth Vader is ruled by his fear and doubt, and even in the original trilogy he admits he hasn't even attempted to redeem himself because he doesn't think he deserves it. And Kylo Ren- ... okay, this one's a gimme. I won't go so far and say that the main subtext of the series is that the galaxy desperately needs mental health services, but it's telling that the heroes only win through the trust, understanding, and support of their friends.

I mean yeah it's obvious that Kreia is feeding the main character a load of bullshit but the whole narrative of KotOR2 (including things from lots of other characters beside her) is still trying to deconstruct the series from a place that misunderstands it. And I'd rather take media that flubs something but does it earnestly and entertaining (like SWTOR here, or some of the other spinoffs) than a dreary, grinding, nihilistic slog of a game that seems to be giving a taunting middle finger to the property it's supposed to be part of.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
SWTOR is a game where not all Jedi are good, not all Sith are evil, and there is even a scene where the leaders of both sides admit they are wrong about the Force. It has these themes that people say they want. As far as I can tell what people actually mean when they say it doesn't follow up on KOTOR2 is that the Exile gets killed off in a book and Revan becomes an easily manipulated pawn, and it's annoying that their PCs from the previous games turned out to be idiots.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Asimo posted:

It's also the most divided game, considering they only ever relased half of it. :iamafag:

And really a lot of dumbness in the franchise - even in many official spinoffs and licensed products - comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of the force, assuming there's a yin-yang sort of light/dark balance, when it's actually that there's "the force" that is the omnipresent bond between life and all that, and "the dark side" that's a corruption of this. It's not some sort of separate but equal thing, if you use the dark side you are inherently broken. Look at all the sith and villains throughout the actual movies - the Emperor is a scheming, power mad tyrant who gets his only joy from proving that others are as morally compromised as he is. Darth Vader is ruled by his fear and doubt, and even in the original trilogy he admits he hasn't even attempted to redeem himself because he doesn't think he deserves it. And Kylo Ren- ... okay, this one's a gimme. I won't go so far and say that the main subtext of the series is that the galaxy desperately needs mental health services, but it's telling that the heroes only win through the trust, understanding, and support of their friends.

I mean yeah it's obvious that Kreia is feeding the main character a load of bullshit but the whole narrative of KotOR2 (including things from lots of other characters beside her) is still trying to deconstruct the series from a place that misunderstands it. And I'd rather take media that flubs something but does it earnestly and entertaining (like SWTOR here, or some of the other spinoffs) than a dreary, grinding, nihilistic slog of a game that seems to be giving a taunting middle finger to the property it's supposed to be part of.

This is why I never got the confusion about the prophecy of bringing "balance to the force". I always assumed that the light side *was* the balance and the dark side was the perversion of it. It made a lot more sense than "maybe evil has a point sometimes"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I was never clear on why the light side just winning and getting rid of the dark side was ever a bad thing

Oh no, no more galactic warfare and slavery, this is just as bad as when Vader was choking people

But mon mothma's EMAILS

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

fruit on the bottom posted:

This is why I never got the confusion about the prophecy of bringing "balance to the force". I always assumed that the light side *was* the balance and the dark side was the perversion of it. It made a lot more sense than "maybe evil has a point sometimes"

It's helpful to remember there's a gulf between what the trilogies said about the Dark Side and how it got portrayed in the EU (particularly video game series like KOTOR and Jedi Knight). There's totally room for confusion when the Dark Side is taken up to be the power of passion and emotion in life.

But if we just care about the movies, yeah, it's hard to interpret the Dark Side as anything but cackling villains in desperate need of a glowbatting.

Edit:
It just occurred to me that I might be forgetting something from the prequels that tries to humanize the Dark Side. It's been way too many years since I watched them. If so, apologies for the errant point.

Conskill fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 26, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Conskill posted:

It's helpful to remember there's a gulf between what the trilogies said about the Dark Side and how it got portrayed in the EU (particularly video game series like KOTOR and Jedi Knight). There's totally room for confusion when the Dark Side is taken up to be the power of passion and emotion in life.

But if we just care about the movies, yeah, it's hard to interpret the Dark Side as anything but cackling villains in desperate need of a glowbatting.

Even then though; im not intimately familiar with the EU, but from what I have seen, I haven't seen any examples of anybody embracing the cool parts of the dark side without becoming cackling villains. The closest I've seen is in SWTOR actually, some of the consular's choices are like "LS: report kissing teenagers to the authorities because love against the rules / DS: just leave them alone it doesn't matter". But then it moves back into "actually, the dark side is evil" territory after that.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I do like that SWTOR divorces LS/DS from the faction of choice. Jedi don't all have to be perfect choirboys all the time and Sith Lords aren't all murderhobos and sadists, but that doesn't make them inherently opposed to that faction's large scale goals. I don't know enough about Star Wars force lore to contribute much, but I'm surprised by the negative reaction to the yin/yang model of the force versus the clearly good/evil dichotomy. I find the former more interesting but certainly not present in the movies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And most importantly, now you can become evil simply by sending your companion out for widgets!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kaysette posted:

I do like that SWTOR divorces LS/DS from the faction of choice. Jedi don't all have to be perfect choirboys all the time and Sith Lords aren't all murderhobos and sadists, but that doesn't make them inherently opposed to that faction's large scale goals. I don't know enough about Star Wars force lore to contribute much, but I'm surprised by the negative reaction to the yin/yang model of the force versus the clearly good/evil dichotomy. I find the former more interesting but certainly not present in the movies.

It's definitely more interesting, and I wish it were actually followed through on

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Actual game-related question; can someone give me the idiots guide to playing AP power tech in pve? I'm jumping right into it at level 65 and I'm overheating immediately. I feel like I'm probably just not getting the rotation right, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I was never clear on why the light side just winning and getting rid of the dark side was ever a bad thing

Oh no, no more galactic warfare and slavery, this is just as bad as when Vader was choking people

But mon mothma's EMAILS

Because it never happened.

After episode 3 people were wondering "okay well where's the balancing the force stuff?" So then the theory about well maybe the prophecy wasn't talking about a good thing.

But Lucas came out and said "err, um, ahh" and then he wiped some sweat from his forehead with a stack of 100s, and said it was when he killed the Emperor, eliminating the dark side forev- oops.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Actual game-related question; can someone give me the idiots guide to playing AP power tech in pve? I'm jumping right into it at level 65 and I'm overheating immediately. I feel like I'm probably just not getting the rotation right, though.

PT hasn't changed much. Follow the rotation from Dulfy's guide and then just read the utilities.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

After episode 3 people were wondering "okay well where's the balancing the force stuff?" So then the theory about well maybe the prophecy wasn't talking about a good thing.

But Lucas came out and said "err, um, ahh" and then he wiped some sweat from his forehead with a stack of 100s, and said it was when he killed the Emperor, eliminating the dark side forev- oops.

It's like poetry, it rhymes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oh hey actually there's a 5.0 guide out

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Even then though; im not intimately familiar with the EU, but from what I have seen, I haven't seen any examples of anybody embracing the cool parts of the dark side without becoming cackling villains. The closest I've seen is in SWTOR actually, some of the consular's choices are like "LS: report kissing teenagers to the authorities because love against the rules / DS: just leave them alone it doesn't matter". But then it moves back into "actually, the dark side is evil" territory after that.

That's mostly due to the teachings that Darksiders get, I would say. Pushed to go all in, full tilt evil monsters just to survive in their culture.

I really never liked that the canon puts the Jedi's teachings of suppressing your emotions and 'humanity' up on a pedestal. It's about as poo poo as always showing the Dark Side as being emotion-roid-rage fueled monsters.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Throw Thermal Detonator. Charge. Stab man with knife. (Energy Burst here if at 4 stacks).Rail shot. Rocket Punch. Rail Shot. Mag Blast until TD or RS are available. Energy Burst when at 4 stacks.

You vent 8 heat when Rail Shot hits a burning target, which basically makes Rail Shot cost 8 heat. PPA makes Rail Shot reset immediately and cost no heat, so you get a net positive of 8 heat once every 7.5 seconds. Just make sure target is burning before you RS, and it should work out fine.

EDIT:

Medullah posted:

Oh hey actually there's a 5.0 guide out

Or you can just do this, I guess.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks!

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Hi guys, Onionbird here. Just popped back into the game randomly to see what was new. Quite a lot it seems, but vengeance juggernaut seems to be the same as it always was. Found out I can't level past 55 without getting a sub, and I'm not sure I want to commit to that. Is the guild still around?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Hi guys, Onionbird here. Just popped back into the game randomly to see what was new. Quite a lot it seems, but vengeance juggernaut seems to be the same as it always was. Found out I can't level past 55 without getting a sub, and I'm not sure I want to commit to that. Is the guild still around?

Guild is more or less still around, though none of us play seriously enough to raid or anything like it was back when you left. I'd recommend subbing for a month to get the two expansions you missed for storyline if nothing else.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

I really never liked that the canon puts the Jedi's teachings of suppressing your emotions and 'humanity' up on a pedestal. It's about as poo poo as always showing the Dark Side as being emotion-roid-rage fueled monsters.
It's a massive misunderstanding of the vaguely Buddhist philosophy George was pilfering from for the movies, too. Not that having the Jedi being kind of broken and dogmatic in the prequels is inherently a bad thing though.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

Medullah posted:

Guild is more or less still around, though none of us play seriously enough to raid or anything like it was back when you left. I'd recommend subbing for a month to get the two expansions you missed for storyline if nothing else.

Well that's good to hear. Did I see right that there was an option to replay class story missions you've already completed? Kinda wanted to go back through the sith warrior storyline without making a new character.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Well that's good to hear. Did I see right that there was an option to replay class story missions you've already completed? Kinda wanted to go back through the sith warrior storyline without making a new character.

I have only seen that option for the KotFE/ET content.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Not for class stories. But for all chapters of KOTFE/KOTET you can repay them. But they've also seriously streamlined leveling so you can do the story in less than ten hours or so played. I think you quit when we were banging our dicks against Nightmare TFB, game is much more focused on easy story mode material.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Medullah posted:

Not for class stories. But for all chapters of KOTFE/KOTET you can repay them. But they've also seriously streamlined leveling so you can do the story in less than ten hours or so played. I think you quit when we were banging our dicks against Nightmare TFB, game is much more focused on easy story mode material.

I still have flashbacks to Brontes.

But that all sounds pretty neat, I see the streamlined companions too, which is nice. If I'm on at some point and decide to resub for a month, who would I talk to for an invite?

e: oh looks like they nerfed lightning sorcerers, lmao. So much for that alt.

A Curvy Goonette fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 26, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I still have flashbacks to Brontes.

But that all sounds pretty neat, I see the streamlined companions too, which is nice. If I'm on at some point and decide to resub for a month, who would I talk to for an invite?

e: oh looks like they nerfed lightning sorcerers, lmao. So much for that alt.

Just whisper someone from the guild and they can invite. Or you can join Discord and ask there.

And don't worry about any nerfs - unless you're doing Progression Raiding or Ranked PvP everything is viable and fun.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the game still like 200gbs

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

is the game still like 200gbs

My install is 36.4. I had to put it on my regular hard drive instead of my solid state.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Aphrodite posted:

Anakin "brings balance to the force" by ultimately destroying the Emperor. Star Wars is a movie for children you're reading too much into it if you think it's any deeper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah that's what I said. Good job reading!

• Locked thread