Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Super helpful, thank you! The door does get opened a lot and there ARE some yellowing leaves on the door side. I thought that was weird because it's the side facing the light. I will try moving it away from the door. If it does end up needing more light, does a regular lamp work? I don't know anything about plants!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Trillest Parrot posted:

Super helpful, thank you! The door does get opened a lot and there ARE some yellowing leaves on the door side. I thought that was weird because it's the side facing the light. I will try moving it away from the door. If it does end up needing more light, does a regular lamp work? I don't know anything about plants!

Yes it can, but it depends on the bulb you use, or more specifically on the wavelengths it puts out. For instance, most plants don't like your common warm white incandescent. They do make grow light bulbs for nearly every fixture now.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
A regular bulb will be fine, grow lights are better but not strictly necessary. The problem with incandescents is they get HOT, which can/will burn your plants if they get too close, and the closer the light is to the leaves the better.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Can someone help me identify this plant?

My mother rescued a little succulent from the clearance bin at her grocery store. We garden with a lot of annuals and perennials, but know next to nothing about succulents. I'm trying to help her look up proper care for the little guy but I can't quite identify what the hell it is. The vaguest plant.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Zeris posted:

This is kind of hilarious / sad.

Do any of your plants do well in 7a/7b with north facing windows? I'm in NYC.

I kept a majesty palm alive for a year in front of a southwest facing bay window, but I moved and my new place, while bigger, has much less natural light.

North windows are tough. If it's an extremely bright north window perhaps certain Nepenthes will work. Otherwise I'd recommend Pinguicula or Utricularia for lower light situations. Or just using lighting.

B33rChiller posted:

Nice one. If you're concerned about the space it's taking up, you could try training it up the wall and along the ceiling like I've done with mine. This was taken a year or two ago, and I've re-potted it since. It's probably twice as long now. I'm amazed at how stunted it was from being root bound.

This is siiiiick.

my kinda ape posted:

A regular bulb will be fine, grow lights are better but not strictly necessary. The problem with incandescents is they get HOT, which can/will burn your plants if they get too close, and the closer the light is to the leaves the better.

A regular CFL bulb will do fine. Look for a 150 watt equivalent or higher. If you wanna mess with LEDs those are the light of the future but they're a bit pricey. Get a cheap analog timer for the light if you get one.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So, I'm about to do something fairly stupid but desperate in order to get rid of the powdery mildew on my African violets. I'm going to spray them with lysol. Okay, more like lightly mist them with it indirectly instead of a full on spray, but still, this is risky.

Conventional cures aren't available because of the fact that AVs can't have their leaves wet without dying off. If I had a dedicated antifungal spray for plants, I could probably get away with mixing into my plants' water and letting them absorb it internally, but they don't sell good antifungal stuff in my local stores, so lysol solution it is.

I've seen a couple of websites call for mixing the lysol with baking soda, but I prefer not to end up killing myself and ending up in the "Things that go FOOF in the night" chemistry thread in PYF.

I'll post back later with results so everyone can know whether this works or not. For now, let's get dangerous.

Edit:

Das Boo posted:

Can someone help me identify this plant?

My mother rescued a little succulent from the clearance bin at her grocery store. We garden with a lot of annuals and perennials, but know next to nothing about succulents. I'm trying to help her look up proper care for the little guy but I can't quite identify what the hell it is. The vaguest plant.

Forgot to mention, but this is Kalanchoe luciea. It looks much more juicy and green compared to most photos of Kalanchoe luciea on the internet because this plant is showing signs of not getting enough light. It's typically an outdoor plant because of its high light requirements (it comes from the veldts of Africa), and it can handle a decent amount of cold temperatures so long as freezing winds and/or ice is not common in the area where you live. Give this baby bright enough light and good fast-draining soil, and it should reward you with powdery blue leaves edged with flame red.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 11, 2016

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Before giving my african violets the lysol spray, I made sure to give them a good drink of water infused with cinnamon (the cinnamon is there for the antifungal properties). They always say that you should never feed a dry plant, because the strong fertilizer could burn it then. So I imagine that to doubly true in regards to household disinfecting chemicals.

First day of lysol treatment: It's been a couple of hours after misting them with a generic disinfectant spray, but they seem surprisingly healthy. Like actually fairly green, and not so dusty with powdery mildew. Huh. Of course, after misting them with the spray, I did isolate them from the light so that way any moisture that left over would not become dead spots, so that seems to have been important in lessening any ill effects that this could have.

I will move on now to my other African violets, in hopes of quelling the powdery mildew epidemic that has sprung up. Will post with further developments.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kenning posted:

This is siiiiick.

Hey thanks for that! Here's an updated photo

Bonus houseplant photos:

Bamboo and spider plants in an old pickle jar full of water

Some sort of lily Mrs. Chiller picked up a few years back

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

B33rChiller posted:

Hey thanks for that! Here's an updated photo

Bonus houseplant photos:

Bamboo and spider plants in an old pickle jar full of water

Some sort of lily Mrs. Chiller picked up a few years back

Your plant set up is quite spectacular! I love how the spider plant and lucky bamboo go together. :3

Off topic: day three of lysol treatment has proven that misting African violets with household cleaners is actually pretty okay with them. One of the varieties that is less compact and more spread out has lost some leaves due to the mist getting on the leaf petioles though. I'm going to give them a break though from the lysol so they can focus on growing/soaking up sunlight. They've been doing pretty great so far.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My jade plant bloomed yesterday!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kid sinister posted:

My jade plant bloomed yesterday!

Seeing a jade plant bloom is the best Christmas miracle. ;) Congrats!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'm going to pick up a Drosera ailiciae and want to set up some LED desk lighting for it. I was thinking of getting a board and setting up an array of LEDs any recommendations?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I pulled a leaf off a huge jade plant at work and stuck it in a little pot at my desk. It's got 3 tiny leaves now :kimchi:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

EagerSleeper posted:

Seeing a jade plant bloom is the best Christmas miracle. ;) Congrats!

It bloomed last year, but I wasn't even expecting it. I know how hard they are to get to flower. I only noticed after I found the flowers all dead a few months later. And now it has happened 2 years in a row!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So I have a mosquito plant that's been doing pretty well until recently. As of late leaves have been yellowing and wilting. I've moved the plant indoors to as sunny a spot as I can manage and trimmed off dead/dying bits. I've noticed that the soil it is in isn't drying and have held off watering it further. I've also noticed that a number of small fly-like insects have been hanging out near/in the plant's soil. I suspect that my neighbor overwatered the everloving hell out of them while I was out of town and/or my wife doing the same over the last couple of weeks. Any suggestions to save this thing?

Edit - I'm assuming I have a fungus gnat problem? Would that be correct?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 20, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, that definitely sounds overwatered (and like fungus gnats). I wonder if you could put a fan on it to evaporate the water more quickly.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Sooo due to some miscommunication on my part, my sundews and two nepenthes have been spending my 10-day vacation under constant light from a 30W LED grow lamp. They have been watered once (4 days in), but i sent instructions too late so I don't know how much.

What should my expectations be here? ... I'm hoping my sundews will turn into superplants and my nepenthes won't die :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm going to pick up a Drosera ailiciae and want to set up some LED desk lighting for it. I was thinking of getting a board and setting up an array of LEDs any recommendations?

Man I have no idea about small-plan LEDs. I understand that the market just keeps getting better, but I roll with fluorescents still. You have your heart set on LED?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have an LED that I use for my seed shelf. The light output is great, but the purple coloration is annoying. I wouldn't want to use it for a display plant.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Plant appreciation post

http://cactusmandan.tumblr.com/post/135452009820/despite-it-being-cold-dull-and-wet-at-this-time

http://outdoormagic.tumblr.com/post/140161840514/splash-of-colour-but-still-winter-by-ian-livesey

https://geopsych.tumblr.com/post/78100879561/more-windowsill-bulbs-coming-into-bloom-maybe

http://orchid-a-day.tumblr.com/post/146892684858/zygostates-multiflora-syn-ornithocephalus

http://orquidofilia.tumblr.com/post/100791699090/habenaria-rhodocheila-by-brian

http://oakapples.tumblr.com/post/47579292046/early-coralroot-corallorhiza-trifida-one-of-my

http://orchid-a-day.tumblr.com/post/31586882441/lepanthes-tsubotae-september-15-2012

http://orquidofilia.tumblr.com/post/103011272829/erycina-pusilla-blooming-in-flask-by-norbert

Lastly:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BmYYJ
That is a corn plant growing in the drainage hole inside a movie theatre. I just wanted to post it, because that corn that has crappy indoor lighting and is literally living in a drainage pipe is doing better for itself than my efforts to grow plants in a house.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Alternately, that's a corn plant someone put in a pipe so s/he can tell a fantastic story and get up votes.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Eh it's almost certainly true, I've seen sunflower seedlings growing out of a drain where I work (who keeps putting them in there??). Seeds will grow anywhere that has acceptable temperatures and sufficient water. 24/7 lighting through the grate is enough to grow the seedling(s) into a tiny plant and the grate protects it from getting trampled.

Also people in the comments are mentioning they've seen similar things in theaters and even posting a couple pictures of it happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjQ3hA9mEA

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You all need to see some voodoo lily bulbs, emphasis on "voodoo". They're the only bulbs I know of that will start growing (and even bloom) without dirt, water or even light. Somehow they just know it's Spring.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 24, 2016

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Not sure what they are and it's a crappy photo, but these are sprouting from the floorboards of the nursery van.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've seen a truck bed full of dirt that had a bunch of plants growing in it. He wasn't even trying to do that; he was just too lazy to get the dirt out, so he drove around with it like that.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Kenning posted:

Man I have no idea about small-plan LEDs. I understand that the market just keeps getting better, but I roll with fluorescents still. You have your heart set on LED?

Yeah my sundew is going to be my desk buddy at work and my boss is crazy about CFLs being nebulously bad :tinfoil:.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah my sundew is going to be my desk buddy at work and my boss is crazy about CFLs being nebulously bad :tinfoil:.

I can understand that, because I'm slightly paranoid about UV light being emitted, but still, that sucks. If you have to go with LEDs for a single plant, maybe two LED bulbs in warm white and daylight types plugged into a lamp might work too. Either that or solder your own, or buy the only white light LED growlight I could find on Amazon for 60 bux.

I wanted my own desk plant too, but I ran into the same problem. Hopefully somebody else has a solution for this. Maybe an aero garden that they sell to grow herbs in your kitchen?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looking back through some garden photos from earlier in the year, I found this shot. Managed to shoot a bee right in mid flight! (no bees were harmed in the making of this image)

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
Hey plant thread! I rescued a Christmas cactus from a grocery outlet today!

http://m.imgur.com/sALiPjI

Anyone have any tips on keeping it happy? I've read that it likes bright light and drying out between waterings, but what about food? Can I use a home made fertilizer by soaking like grass clippings and coffee grounds and stuff?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

B33rChiller posted:

Looking back through some garden photos from earlier in the year, I found this shot. Managed to shoot a bee right in mid flight! (no bees were harmed in the making of this image)

That picture is amazing

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Enfys posted:

That picture is amazing

Ha! Thank you. It was a total lucky shot.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Well, my buddy who is way more into LEDs has seen these on eBay, though he hasn't used screw-in bulbs himself: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morsen-Full...-UAAOSwmfhX60gD

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a screw-in LED like that. The plants directly under it (maybe 1' away) have turned bright red from all the light. It's working for the surrounding plants too, but I do have the whole setup wrapped in foil.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Just got a cheap chrome shelving unit to replace the cardboard boxes I've been using in my grow closet. Might post pictures soon once I finagle the lighting wires through it. My only fear is that of an electric shock suddenly traveling through the whole metal shelving unit, frying everything on it, catching my house on fire, but eh, yolo.

I had also gone to a local electronic repair shop to get the best LED grow light I've known fixed, and it's back now. :madmax: Can't wait to plug it back in. That single bulb was enough to support a mini garden of African violets and other house plants.

Edit: they no longer have it in Stock on amazon where I bought it from, but the brand of LED bulb is Indigo. Hope that helps!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Behold, the tower of light.

It's actually painfully bright whenever you're in the room. My eyes hurt like I've looked at the Ark of the Covenant with my heathen eyes. Dangerously magenta. On the top shelf, a mini orchid next to a regular orchid (which has a flower spike developing!).

The secret of the white box revealed: it's just a styrofoam box that I had left over from packaging many things. It helps hold the round light bulbs in place on top of the shelving. The other two light bulbs have a flat base, so they can just chill out on top without any other assistance.

I've set up the shelving unit because I really wasn't pleased with how wrecked my mini african violets have been from being next to a freezing window + powdery mildew. Hopefully the bright light and warm, dry conditions will help them recover. Spraying Lysol on them didn't do much other than making them smell like Lysol. I've tried buying a plant specific antimicotic, Daconil, but it's not as effective as I'd like. Lost two plants already. Hopefully this new set up will help out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a monster in your closet.

Enfys posted:

That picture is amazing

I go out of my way to take pictures of bees. It's totally not relevant to this thread but if you would like to see some more bee pictures, just ask.

Actually it might be relevant because I'm pretty sure 100% of my bee pictures have plants in them?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Let us know when the police raid the place looking for the grow op.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Wrong thread

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Is my ______ dying? The needles are falling off in droves, but there are plenty left. The bottom and inner-most needles are browning, but staying on. I can't tell if it's just growing pains, or if I'm loving it up somehow. It has decent light, and barely dry to moist soil. I've had it in its current location for over one month.

Also, I have no clue what type of plant it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zeris posted:

Is my ______ dying? The needles are falling off in droves, but there are plenty left. The bottom and inner-most needles are browning, but staying on. I can't tell if it's just growing pains, or if I'm loving it up somehow. It has decent light, and barely dry to moist soil. I've had it in its current location for over one month.

Also, I have no clue what type of plant it is.

Yeah, it's dying, but there is hope, as the solution is too simply put it outside. For some reason, coniferous plants refuse to grow at all indoors so you'll need to place your plant outside so it can hopefully start to recover. It looks like it still has a lot of healthy needles still on it, so I'm hopeful that it can get better soon.

The only thing to watch out for is that the possible extreme shift temperatures (from cozy indoors to winter freezing) might cause the plant to go into shock. You can try to place the plant outdoors in a place where it doesn't get exposed to wind or strong light until it's strong enough to get brighter sun. If the temperatures are truly brutal outside, you can slowly acclimate your plant by letting it be outside for only the daytime until it can handle being outdoors 24/7.

I don't really know much about coniferous plants, but the way the needles cover the whole branch length reminds me of a Christmas tree, so maybe a Douglas fir, Balsam fir, or Scotch pine?

I hope things go well, because it really does look like quite a cute conifer.

Leperflesh posted:

There's a monster in your closet.

I go out of my way to take pictures of bees. It's totally not relevant to this thread but if you would like to see some more bee pictures, just ask.

Actually it might be relevant because I'm pretty sure 100% of my bee pictures have plants in them?

Pictures of bees and other garden creatures are always welcomed in this thread. :3:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Let us know when the police raid the place looking for the grow op.

They'll never take my African violets off me alive! They can have my philodendron though.