Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Slime posted:

If people want to look at cartoon titties why don't they just look at cartoon titties? Who plays a game to look at their cartoon titties?

Where is the reward if you just go look at cartoon titties without earning it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Leal posted:

Where is the reward if you just go look at cartoon titties without earning it?

Do you have to ask?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Slime posted:

If people want to look at cartoon titties why don't they just look at cartoon titties? Who plays a game to look at their cartoon titties?

a titty saved is a titty earned

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Know what's really dragging Nier: Automata down for me? There's been no word on the steam version since the announcement. I really want that fancy limited edition stuff but I have no clue if the steam release will get anything similar. I would love a copy of the first game on PC.

Also, Subnautica could really use some more guidance. I've been playing it for a few hours and have no real clue what I'm doing and haven't managed to build anything other than a repair tool. At least I'm not dying I guess. Game is super atmospheric though, weird deep sea noises are concerning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cindy why are you wearing a jacket that's entirely too small for you in the middle of the desert?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda a generic one, but man, conventional city-builders have dragged themselves down for me, and it's annoying because I used to like them a lot.

I loved Simcity 2000 as a kid, blowing my mind with wow-you-can-do-that things mentioned in the strategy guide / manual, even if they never worked as well as they'd claim. 3000 and 4 felt like spreadsheet simulators that I played a lot of, but didn't gain as much fun out of. Mechanics aside, I think what really dragged them down was that all the cities would eventually be the same: the same blocks of identical residential buildings, the same blocks of identical commercial zones, and the same blocks of industrial buildings. Sure, they'd be in different locations or something, but they'd all be the same.

I've tried a handful of other city builder games since that time, and I get the same sensation of sameness. It's dissuaded me from other ones (Cities Skylines, for instance) because earlier games have burned me out that much on city-builders. I get it, it's a great city-builder and I've heard it's a lot less spread-sheety than previous Simcity games, but it's still the same RSI and every city will still have the same buildings, and every Lets Play I've watched of it doesn't draw me in.

Ironically, to this day my favorite city-building game is the black sheep of the Simcity series, Simcity Societies. Different from the other games mechanically, and more important each city can be designed to be visually and mechanically different.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Dec 26, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Civ 6 is fun and all, but it seems like in their drive to streamline the game they lost some of the details and now the UI just doesn't have any of the information I feel like it should have, and it's all just lost under tiny little icons the game doesn't tell you what to do. At one point some barbarians destroyed one of my trade routes and now I have 1/2 trade routes active. Except nothing I do seems to let me open up any kind of trade route menu. The only time the game lets me do that is when it tells me to. The whole game is like that, it's like it thinks the players are too stupid to play the game so you're only allowed to do things when it tells you to. Even unit management is like this. What, did you want to move this guy right in front of you? Too bad, because we're auto-zooming on the one unit you had left on the other side of the world, he's more important. Why? No reason.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The stats in xenoverse 2 don't tell me anything useful. Oh I've got a kaioken icon from using the kaioken, guess I'm better now. Not sure what I'm better at but uh cool I guess. Foot and a down arrow, huh? Guess I'm slower by some nebulous amount, haven't really noticed tbh. 4 up arrows next to health on this shirt? Wow, that's one whole up arrow more than this other one! I have no idea what that actually means.

On the plus side they're insignificant enough that it probably doesn't matter, unless they're actually really important and I can't tell.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gitro posted:

The stats in xenoverse 2 don't tell me anything useful. Oh I've got a kaioken icon from using the kaioken, guess I'm better now. Not sure what I'm better at but uh cool I guess. Foot and a down arrow, huh? Guess I'm slower by some nebulous amount, haven't really noticed tbh. 4 up arrows next to health on this shirt? Wow, that's one whole up arrow more than this other one! I have no idea what that actually means.

On the plus side they're insignificant enough that it probably doesn't matter, unless they're actually really important and I can't tell.

the only arrows that matter are ki and stamina

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Gitro posted:

IIRC in Xenoverse 1 equipment increased stats by a percentage of how many points you had in that stat, with like a 2 point difference per arrow at most. They definitely need to at least try to explain it, though at least in 2 you can just get a QQ Bang and wear whatever you want instead of having to worry about stat boosts or nerfs while looking stylish.
This series really needs to work out if it's an MMO or not, though. I'm a significant way into the storyline (Cell Games) and the Supreme Kai is just now trying to force me into doing online raids and won't progress the story until I do. Girl if I wanted to play an MMO I would play a loving MMO.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why can Codsworth recognise gag names like "Fuckface" but he comes up short for normal names like "Camille"?

Not counting Radiant Quests just how many actual quests are there in the game? And is there anything worse than that "Kid in the Fridge" one?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Dec 26, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Civ 6 is fun and all, but it seems like in their drive to streamline the game they lost some of the details and now the UI just doesn't have any of the information I feel like it should have, and it's all just lost under tiny little icons the game doesn't tell you what to do. At one point some barbarians destroyed one of my trade routes and now I have 1/2 trade routes active. Except nothing I do seems to let me open up any kind of trade route menu. The only time the game lets me do that is when it tells me to. The whole game is like that, it's like it thinks the players are too stupid to play the game so you're only allowed to do things when it tells you to. Even unit management is like this. What, did you want to move this guy right in front of you? Too bad, because we're auto-zooming on the one unit you had left on the other side of the world, he's more important. Why? No reason.

The unit auto-switching can fortunately be disabled by modifying one of the .cfgs: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/58s9hr/psa_you_can_turn_off_unit_cycling_in_civ_6/

I have no idea why that isn't toggleable in the settings menu proper, it's such a common complaint :psyduck:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Why can Codsworth recognise gag names like "Fuckface" but he comes up short for normal names like "Camille"?

Not counting Radiant Quests just how many actual quests are there in the game? And is there anything worse than that "Kid in the Fridge" one?

according to the fallout wikia there's like 300 non-radiant quests. also the worst quest is 'dangerous minds' because its super boring

also codsworth sucks, unlock Curie post haste

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
In Tyranny there are multiple flavors of fighter and multiple flavors of mage, but there are no rogues for some reason. Each class has a starting outfit that sort of implies what archetype it is - fighters start with armor, mages start with robes, and there's a third outfit that actually seems to evoke the rogue archetype but it gets assigned to archer and monk respectively.

The game separates its unlockable abilities at level up between several different categories like 2-handed, dual-wielding, sword and shield, mage staff, ranged, etc. You would think that the abilities required to craft a rogue in this otherwise classless system would be divvied between dual wielding and archery, but both of those ability trees are specifically dedicated to "warriors that wield two weapons and/or a bow". Indeed, there are few ways to build even a rogue-ish character in this game (even if you'll always be a differently-flavored fighter) including buffs to poison damage and sneak attacks. The latter, despite being a rogue's bread and butter, is only possible once per fight so it isn't really a strategy you can build a character around so much as it's expected for every class to have some sneak attack capability. Better yet, even if you did want to create a god of sneak attacks in Tyranny they separate all the buffs to sneak attacks in every class's ability tree, forcing you to become a jack of all trades to do it whether you want to or not. Most puzzling of all for an Infinity engine-style RPG, backstabs and any form of flanking are completely missing from the game with no real way to replicate their effects. Fights are all about smashing mans together and your only concern with positioning is friendly fire and engagement range. Pillars of Eternity, while not perfect, had this aspect of fighting and I'm not sure why they removed it?

I've heard several explanations for the lack of a playable rogue in Tyranny but the one that always bugged me the most was "You're an agent of Kyros so you're meant to instill dignity and discipline, being a rogue would be beneath such an important figure". I couldn't disagree more. Not only does the game actually present you with several rogue-ish options in the Conquest mode, give the player an option to pick a Lawbreaker origin, and have a stat called Subterfuge which seems to be 100% something a rogue would draw from, but enforcing an evil overlord's rule through tricks and skullduggery sounds like an excellent way to play? Obsidian disagreed I guess.

tl;dr: In an attempt to make Tyranny classless, they just made character-building bland and un-fun.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I got Deus Ex Mankind Divided and I can't figure out how to take off Jensens clothes so his no doubt enormous augmented penis can freely swing hither and thither

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Having the robot say your name is one of many features in that game that make me think they were just seeing what they could get away with at some point. It's got something like 1500 names, which isn't even close to enough to get anywhere near the spread of names players might choose, but it's still a ludicrous amount of names to pay the voice actor to say, all for the thrill of hearing a robot say "Mister Kevin". There's a name input thing in some Metal Gear names which is also fairly dumb but at least it can recognise any word you type.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Why does shantae and the pirate's curse gotta keep trolling me so hard

Why is there a like, 20-screen segment where they take away your attack and you die in one hit?

Why did I spend 400 gembucks on an attack that is objectively worse than the one I start with?

Why does a questgiver ask for one more of (healing item) than I have while the game silently disables drops of that item?

Why do so many of the side-paths lead to enemy gauntlets with no reward because you went to them slightly too early?

Why do several of the dungeons require plot coupons that you have to backtrack to two islands ago to get, with no indication until you fight through several screens of dudes and they're like "sorry, go get the plot thing first, this was pointless."

The music is nice, it controls alright, but I don't get why people review this game so highly unless it's just the cartoon boobs.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Shantae has got to be some kind of ongoing joke that I don't get, because the games I've played have been competent but stunningly mediocre, and I'm convinced that people just give it higher regards because of the cartoon boobs.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Shantae has got to be some kind of ongoing joke that I don't get, because the games I've played have been competent but stunningly mediocre, and I'm convinced that people just give it higher regards because of the cartoon boobs.

Yeah, I played Pirate's Curse and my assessment was "reasonably solid platformer that I'd be embarrassed to be seen playing".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

People love to root for an underdog, and Shantae got most of its acclaim when the narrative was that WayForward was a tiny no-name developer that mostly made licensed shovelware and it was their one breakout shot at doing something good on their own.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The turret section in Dead Space can seriously gently caress off forever. So you're on this big rear end cannon and you have to shoot asteroids. Okay whatever but maybe a nice change of pace. gently caress you.

1. The shields start at 85 just to be an extra gently caress you.
2. The thing is way too twitchy and hard to accurately shoot.
3. The asteroids are small and really hard to hit.
4. THERE ARE WAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO MANY OF THEM. Seriously, you have to have the reaction of a god to hit every single one of them.
5. Shields go and you're dead.
6. THE CANNON CAN OVERHEAT. This is unforgivable. Basically you can't just keep blasting, which would make this still hard as hell, but you have to actually conserve fire, making this wayyyyy worse.
7. It's right after a really annoying section where you have to hid behind little barriers or, oops, INSTANT KILL DUE TO ASTEROIDS!

gently caress that entire section.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Dec 26, 2016

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The turret section in Dead Space can seriously gently caress off forever. So you're on this big rear end cannon and you have to shoot asteroids. Okay whatever but maybe a nice change of pace. gently caress you.

4. THERE ARE WAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO MANY OF THEM. Seriously, you have to have the reaction of a god to hit every single one of them.
6. THE CANNON CAN OVERHEAT. This is unforgivable. Basically you can't just keep blasting, which would make this still hard as hell, but you have to actually conserve fire, making this wayyyyy worse.
7. It's right after a really annoying section where you have to hid behind little barriers or, oops, INSTANT KILL DUE TO ASTEROIDS!

You forgot point 8. They make you do it a second time later on.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tardcore posted:

You forgot point 8. They make you do it a second time later on.

And point 9. The asteroids are random, not predetermined, so any time anyone complains about this bullshit section someone pipes up "Well I got through it no problem". You can make it slightly easier (or mitigate the heat issue at least) by using one cannon til its near overheating then switching to the other (IIRC anyway) but if the RNG decides to gently caress you it can still be literally unwinnable.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

SiKboy posted:

And point 9. The asteroids are random, not predetermined, so any time anyone complains about this bullshit section someone pipes up "Well I got through it no problem". You can make it slightly easier (or mitigate the heat issue at least) by using one cannon til its near overheating then switching to the other (IIRC anyway) but if the RNG decides to gently caress you it can still be literally unwinnable.

The best is that it can start off easy and you're like "Oh man I got it!" and then suddenly like 15 of those asteroids that explode into little asteroids pop up and destroy you.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
once you play dead space long enough, you look at those vents with the backlit slow spinning fans less as background elements and more as eventual monster closets. it's actually surprising when a vent doesn't spawn a necromorph.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Talking about Dead Space, one gripe is that man does the original game and probably the others too, get better when you turn off the music. That game telegraphs and subsequently kinda ruins the surprise of so many of it's 'AND THEN A NECROMORPH POPS OUT' and encounters with them in general with the music.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Yardbomb posted:

Talking about Dead Space, one gripe is that man does the original game and probably the others too, get better when you turn off the music. That game telegraphs and subsequently kinda ruins the surprise of so many of it's 'AND THEN A NECROMORPH POPS OUT' and encounters with them in general with the music.

Dead Space 2 is by far the best one because as I recall they use the music more for creepy as hell atmosphere, and the whole colony aspect doesn't limit you to ~creepy ship~

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

once you play dead space long enough, you look at those vents with the backlit slow spinning fans less as background elements and more as eventual monster closets. it's actually surprising when a vent doesn't spawn a necromorph.

This is what made me put the game down within an hour or so of picking it up. Even by then I knew exactly when the enemy was going to spawn a necromorph behind me and the 'horror' basically just amounted to it trying to startle me. Basically it thought jumping out and shouting BOO was scary.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Dead Space suffers from Doom syndrome where you're much better off switching to the force gun and running and gunning rather than making calculated, deliberate actions.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dragon Quest Heroes has a lot of moments where you cannot skip past dialogue while a tune plays and you have to sit and wait until the entire thing plays out. This is especially bad when you accept quests, for each one it announces that you accepted the quest and plays a jingle that you have to listen to completion. Repeat 8 times, its a combined minute of doing nothing but listening to the same jingle.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Yardbomb posted:

i think combat is pretty tense and cool when you're in the exposed atmosphere sections. sounds are muffled (dunno how realistic that is but it feels believable) and you gotta be more alert around you because you can't hear the usual screams to clue you in on how close you are to the necros.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

OldTennisCourt posted:

Oh man I did this the other day. It's loving garbage, nothing about it is designed well enough to make it fun or interesting.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I stopped playing Dead Space not long into it because the dude I was controlling just felt slow as poo poo. It's been long enough that I don't even remember specifics, I just remember trudging along and going "christ, this guy is slow and it's boring me".

(the bug where, for some reason, you couldn't walk through an open door didn't help)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Most space horror games are pretty bland because it's just endless loving corridors. How does this genre get such a pass for being so uncreative?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

RyokoTK posted:

I read somewhere that the first game for the Gameboy Colour was designed to stretch the platform as far as they could, when it came to graphics.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shantae is cool

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shantae is a pretty good game. I like it more than most GBC platformers I've played.

In addition, it's one of those games that can't really be emulated without a lot of horsepower behind it, for ~reasons~, so it's the allure of what you can't have.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SiKboy posted:

I guess this might be me? :shobon: I played it for the first time just this year and between having the notorious V-sync problem in the PC version fixed and knowing you have two guns to work with, I had minimal trouble with it. Another thing is that, IIRC, you also don't have to shoot every single asteroid. Some harmlessly fly past the ship.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Shantae is a pretty good game. I like it more than most GBC platformers I've played.

In addition, it's one of those games that can't really be emulated without a lot of horsepower behind it, for ~reasons~, so it's the allure of what you can't have.

The first Shantae is pretty solid especially for a GBC game, but every one after that doesn't really get to use that as an excuse. They're all pretty tepid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

it's the allure of what you can't have.

quote:

boobs