Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah that was freaky.

boat ride looks cool, not sure how i feel about another soarin ride though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Empress Brosephine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSOqWtLix4

actual ride footage of avatar about 1 minute in!!!

maybe they will hit that open date afterall

It looks cool and all but I don't know if I'll ever get over the feeling of "Why is there a whole world built around Avatar?" Like, Duffy feels more legit and Disney than this and his character story is "we invented this to sell merchandise".

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bet they regret it especially since everything they sell they have to share with Fox or whoever published avatar. its really mind boggling.

it definitely was a quick reaction to harry potter land no matter waht anyone says.

disney seems to have a boner with projections as much as universal has with 3d screens so :shrug:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

You gotta remember Disney also planned this thing around the time James Cameron was talking several sequels 7 years ago. Turns out the first sequel wasn't gonna release for another 9-10 years so now it just feels weird. Regardless of anything it is the number one box office performance of all time, so that combined with several sequels makes sense. I'm stoked on it. Anything Joe Rohde I am instantly in on.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 26, 2016

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
That still looks pretty cool. And those mountains are monstrous from the road so I bet they are intense up close.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wonder if the river ride will have any drops

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Poor Joe Rohde's ear. That looks so painful. :gonk:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Much like anything in Disney that looks organic or naturally made, chances are that it's all just concrete and rebar.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

it definitely was a quick reaction to harry potter land no matter waht anyone says.

You keep saying this, but you have to realize that up until this year attendance has been steadily rising despite the "competition" from Harry Potter world and increasing amounts of construction in the parks.

The recent drop can be more attributed to the loss of South American tourism due to new taxes down there on travel outside the country.

Even so, and as said above, Avatar is literally the highest grossing movie ever, and history has shown you don't bet against James Cameron.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Tomorrow morning for the first time in my life I set foot in the Magic Kingdom. Wish me luck.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

couldcareless posted:

You keep saying this, but you have to realize that up until this year attendance has been steadily rising despite the "competition" from Harry Potter world and increasing amounts of construction in the parks.

The recent drop can be more attributed to the loss of South American tourism due to new taxes down there on travel outside the country.

Even so, and as said above, Avatar is literally the highest grossing movie ever, and history has shown you don't bet against James Cameron.

I feel like they definitely had something planned for animal kingdom but I highly doubt it was always avatar themed. I don't doubt there was thought behind it but it's pretty apparent they hastily liscenced the IP and then quickly used it. I mean think about it, what if Avatar 2 is R rated and all the cat people going around yelling gently caress?

Disney has no control over that so it makes you wonder why they did this deal other than to be "me too" and do what Universal did and liscence outside of their own properties.

My point wasn't in regards to Disney losing or gaining visitors, it was more to Disney seeing what really sparked and made Universal Studios popular and gain visitors and want a piece of that action.

When all is said and done those cat people animatronics are really scary.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I'm excited for it. Yeah, at a glance it's a kinda odd choice of IP to focus on but with all the focus on Star Wars and comic book movies, I think it'll be really refreshing. I know plenty about SW and comics- most folks haven't given Avatar much thought and I think it'll be cool to go into the park and not know the entire backstory or what every little doo-dad is. It's something new and it looks pretty amazing, so I'm stoked.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think if they had the Star Wars liscence before this went into production it absolutely would've been Endor.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Much like anything in Disney that looks organic or naturally made, chances are that it's all just concrete and rebar.

No, they used the naturally occurring mountains in the area to create the world. ;)

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
So tell me about eating at Disneyland/DCA.

It feels like a stupid question to ask because I'm a California native and I've been to DL a dozen times, but it's usually been done on the cheap. Our next trip, though, is going to be our wedding/honeymoon (thanks Braksgirl!) and while we can't go nuts every meal, it might be nice to pepper in a couple of nicer food options.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

RabbitMage posted:

It feels like a stupid question to ask because I'm a California native and I've been to DL a dozen times, but it's usually been done on the cheap. Our next trip, though, is going to be our wedding/honeymoon (thanks Braksgirl!) and while we can't go nuts every meal, it might be nice to pepper in a couple of nicer food options.

My namesake doesn't have the greatest food, but the ambiance is amazing

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My wife just bought us annual passes for the first time. We had been going so often in the last few years, and we're both turning 30 this year, that it just seemed to make sense.

We plan to go for each of our respective birthdays and we want to take her parents for her dad's birthday as they haven't been to Disney in 20 years and never went to Epcot. It'll be F&W Festival, so it's even better.

In all the times we've gone, we've ridden pretty much every ride in all four theme parks, seen the fireworks in MK and Epcot, seen Fantasmic at HS, etc. While I obviously love all of that stuff, and even though this thread is called "for first-timers" I'm at a loss for what I could do to really make our next trips more special. For my trip, we'll also be going with a friend of mine who hasn't been in 20+ years, which I imagine will be a blast since it's always fun to see other people's first reactions. During my wife's birthday we plan to stay in one of the best Epcot resorts, which we've never done.

But apart from that, what do the veterans to the parks recommend that we check out? Something a little off the beaten path, or even something a bit on the pricy side that most people skip. We know we're going to have a blast regardless, but I'd like to really take full advantage of these annual passes/park hopper passes.

Speaking of, what's considered the best Epcot resort?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hoop de due revue was amazing and while i was starting to get a little bored of the parks, that was so cool and unique i dont think i could ever get bored of it

people always say the behind the seeds tour is cool if you like living with the land

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Reinanigans posted:

My wife just bought us annual passes for the first time. We had been going so often in the last few years, and we're both turning 30 this year, that it just seemed to make sense.

We plan to go for each of our respective birthdays and we want to take her parents for her dad's birthday as they haven't been to Disney in 20 years and never went to Epcot. It'll be F&W Festival, so it's even better.

I would absolutely recommend a special birthday dinner for each of the trips, and a nice family one for the parents. Top three recommendations for this would be Tiffins + California Grill for the two of you, and Ohana for the family, or Coral Reef if you'd rather stick to normal menu ordering + table service (Ohana is family style serving). Coral Reef is a step down from the signatures but such a unique setting and great food as well, it'll probably be a big hit for your family. Disney magic + world class food is hard to beat.

The tours are another great way to see more than you normally would and find more appreciation for everything Disney. The Animal Kingdom Trek and The Seas scuba/snorkeling experiences are supposedly amazing if you like animals as well. If you're into it at all and going to be here during one of the Run Disney events I highly recommend them. Running through the parks after hours is a really cool experience and the events are really well organized.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 26, 2016

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

The tours are another great way to see more than you normally would and find more appreciation for everything Disney. The Animal Kingdom Trek and The Seas scuba/snorkeling experiences are supposedly amazing if you like animals as well. If you're into it at all and going to be here during one of the Run Disney events I highly recommend them. Running through the parks after hours is a really cool experience and the events are really well organized.

I did the keys to the kingdom tour once, it was rad and I'd do it or another backstage tour again. Also if you're doing F&W try signing up for some of the events like the Tequila tasting lunch, etc. If you're not into pin trading, maybe try that out. Pin trading helps turn down time into a chance to look for pin boards or CM's wearing pins, kind of a game to play while you're between attractions, in line, or waiting for your dinner reservation.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

RabbitMage posted:

For a really special dinner I cannot recommend Napa Rose in the Grand Californian highly enough. (I think) they have a Michelin star or two

The two "signature" restaurants on property are Blue Bayou at DL and Carthay Circle at DCA. Carthay Circle has better food, but Blue Bayou is worth the money for the atmosphere alone. Get there early and request a table next to the water, and don't throw someone on POTC a dinner roll, they frown on that and ask you to leave.

Wine Country Trattoria at DCA is also good, especially if you can get a good seat to watch a parade.

Other than those three sit downs, everything else is pretty casual. I would recommend skipping any and everything in DTD, I have not had a meal there that I felt was worth the cost and time outside of the park (especially the italian joint near the entrances, it's just bland)

If you want to leave the park for an exceptional dinner, Bistro Bleu is a couple miles down Bell street and serves great french cuisine.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

I've got no experience with the Epcot proper resorts on the boardwalk, but rather the Epcot area ones, I've stayed at Caribbean Beach over 10 times and keep going back there. Everything is organized into the main hub very nicely and the bar is open late. The bartender there has been the same woman since I first went when I was 7 years old and she owns.

I thought Coronado Springs was nice but the bar closed at like 9-10pm every night I was there and almost everybody at the resort was there for like a Jimmy John's managers excursion so it might have just left a bad taste in my mouth. I also didn't like that the main pool was on the complete opposite side of the lake as the main area.

Never stayed at POFQ or PORS but I walked around them and it had a neat feel to it. Maybe others can elaborate on those.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reinanigans posted:

Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach Clubs are top tier if you want easy access to Epcot. They're all situated in a ring around a lake that has boat access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, but there's also pedestrian walkways to both parks; you can enter Epcot right in the UK if you want. They're also gorgeous and the Boardwalk has its own array of shops and restaurants.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

I mean think about it, what if Avatar 2 is R rated and all the cat people going around yelling gently caress?

Now I kinda hope this happens

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Reinanigans posted:

The Swan and Dolphin are both gorgeous, but they suffer from being the "not really disney resorts" hotels in the area. You still get standard bus and boat transportation (that is never crowded or full) to the parks but you lose out on some things like being unable to book a dining plan, no magical express airport transportation, and their rooms still use keycards vs being able to use your magic band.

They are run by Starwood which I am lucky enough that my aunt is an employee of and is able to get us dirt cheap rooms occasionally.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Fejsze posted:

Get there early and request a table next to the water, and don't throw someone on POTC a dinner roll, they frown on that and ask you to leave.

Sounds like you know this from experience.

Thanks for the recs! We're having our reception dinner at Downtown Disney because it gives us more time in the parks, but allows our friends and family who don't want to/can't join us in the parks to come too (and my dad and stepmom are generously paying for that). The other meals are more likely to be just the two of us. I'd thought about Blue Bayou (thanks BlueBayou!) and Carthay Circle, but completely forgot about Wine County.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Carthay Circle's cheese biscuit thingies are legit. I would make a reservation there just for those.

Re: Epcot resorts. The only one I've stayed at is Yacht Club, but I love it there. it's a beautiful resort and the atmosphere is pretty awesome and laid back. One con is that they don't have a quick service at that resort but you can walk over to Beach Club if needed. They do have a little lounge at YC off the lobby that sells pastries and coffee in the mornings and you can refill your mugs there.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I asked for Disney gift cards for Christmas! Friends and family obliged and now our last payment will be over five hundred dollars cheaper! Hurry up April!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Braksgirl posted:

Carthay Circle's cheese biscuit thingies are legit. I would make a reservation there just for those.

Re: Epcot resorts. The only one I've stayed at is Yacht Club, but I love it there. it's a beautiful resort and the atmosphere is pretty awesome and laid back. One con is that they don't have a quick service at that resort but you can walk over to Beach Club if needed. They do have a little lounge at YC off the lobby that sells pastries and coffee in the mornings and you can refill your mugs there.

they do have The Crew's Cup, which kind of makes up for no QS though. Best burger on property hands down, and it's a quiet little bar that most people don't even really know is there. It and Territory Lounge are my favorite non-Imagineer Concept bars on property.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Jesus, you guys weren't kidding about the MK customer service. I had more than a couple bad experiences just in one day. I had to complain about a CM who works on Splash Mountain. She was absolutely awful, but I got 5 free fastpasses from the wonderful manager there.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Braksgirl posted:

Boardwalk Inn is amazing. Neat theme, convenient to everything, and hands down the best resort staff I've encountered in my 7 trips (at 9 different resorts) over the years. I'd only stayed at one other Deluxe, and I was very young at the time, so that's probably part of it.

A bonus for us -- maybe not for everyone -- is that we definitely saw less children there than the few times we went through the YC/BC area. Boardwalk Inn does have a convention hall attached to it (there was some kind of package carrier union event when we visited), which I'd guess cuts down on the kids a bit.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've noticed out of all the ride CMs the splash ones are the grumpiest lol. Wonder why? Second place has to go to Jungle Cruise.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

There are a few discounts available today.

Free QS meal:

Enjoy one meal per person, per night at select Walt Disney World® Resort quick-service dining locations when they buy a non-discounted 5-night/6-day Walt Disney Travel Company room and ticket package at a select Disney Value Resort hotel for arrivals most nights May 30-Aug. 24, 2017 when they book by Feb. 12, 2017.

Booking Window: Dec. 28, 2016-Feb. 12, 2017
Travel Window: May 30-Aug. 24, 2017

Room discount with free ticket day:

Save up to 25%* on rooms at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels for stays most nights Feb. 20-June 10, 2017.

Get one more day added to their ticket when they upgrade to a Magic Your Way® room and ticket package with a minimum 4-day Ticket.

Booking and Travel Windows:
Book by Feb. 26, 2017 for stays most nights Feb. 20-June 10, 2017
Book by March 30, 2017 for stays most nights April 9-June 10, 2017

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Can any body recommend any podcast episodes that are specifically about the Adventurers Club and what it was like back in the day and all that?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i saw a video of a 1999 promo vid for walt disney world and they had a short clip of the adventurers club and it like showcased these four guys looking up the girl actresses skirt so I too want to know wtf was going on in there now

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also when do AP room discounts come out braksgirl

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

also when do AP room discounts come out braksgirl

No clue. I never get advance notice of when promos will happen. That's just not how Disney operates. Sorry!

Looking back through MouseSavers, it looks like AP discounts are available quarterly. But who knows exactly what will happen.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat ok already dieing to go back

are you up and doing disneyLAND reservations yet? any idea on a price range for those?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Fejsze posted:

For a really special dinner I cannot recommend Napa Rose in the Grand Californian highly enough. (I think) they have a Michelin star or two

They do not have a Michelin star or two.

It's also not too expensive for anyone wondering. Typically under 50 an entree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

drat ok already dieing to go back

are you up and doing disneyLAND reservations yet? any idea on a price range for those?

I can do Disneyland for sure. How much that costs depends on a lot of factors. If you want to send an email with some dates and maybe where you'd like to stay (on property or off), maybe a budget range, I can work something up for you.