Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

Like it wouldn't have been economically more viable to mocap some kids on the street and have these guys just voice over it?

Money well spent I guess.

--edit:
Also, I'm not entirely sure why those idiots consider SC the most openly developed game.

I've been with Project CARS and now part two, and granted, the signup time was limited to a couple of weeks, but for a small advance (I put 100€ in PC1, got 300€ out), I get daily change logs, developer reports and daily builds. I don't see people paying a couple of grands for JPEG ships getting anything the like in return.

Star Citizen: Like it wouldn't have been economically more viable to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

"The move to Lumberjack was already done."

Good going there, chief.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Can someone get a Dream Catcher in there before they dream all over the Battletech universe too?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Madcosby posted:

My predictions for 2017:

Star,citizen goons will physically hurt someone involved in the project and post it here for "lolz"

Then when they and anyone that supports itvgrts banned, theyll make an offsite forum thatll basically qualify as a hate site forum

Derek will post there regularly

And the offsite forum will be called Something Smartitive

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Initiation posted:

"Don't get me wrong. Crazy is good!" The young man reached his right hand out to Eva, "I'm <Manic's first name>," he said and then added with a grin, "But everyone calls me Manic, hell if I know why. I heard you say that your name is Valkyrie?"

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Star Citizen: "I'm <Manic's first name>"

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I see no reason to nitpick or disbelieve their claims that the integration of their stuff from Cryengine to Lumberyard went smoothly. By all accounts Lumberyard is just Cryengine + Amazon's networking stuff. If the majority of the stuff that Amazon added or changed was in the networking and the core & rendering stuff was left alone then yes, it should be easy for CIG to keep their changes and get it working while still using CIG's existing networking code & servers. If they said it didn't take a ton of time and it demonstrably happened then I think that we can take their word for it in this instance. I don't believe the "2 guys did it in 2 hours on their lunchbreak" part of their claim, 1-2 days is probably more reasonable.

Also it is possible to twist and turn yourself in micro-gravity. You can't add any angular momentum but you can change your orientation. Chris Roberts was right in this instance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJcno_XL4RU&t=42s

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
wait, she's called Eva/Valkyrie?

https://www.evevalkyrie.com/ ?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

The Saddest Robot posted:

I see no reason to nitpick or disbelieve their claims that the integration of their stuff from Cryengine to Lumberyard went smoothly. By all accounts Lumberyard is just Cryengine + Amazon's networking stuff. If the majority of the stuff that Amazon added or changed was in the networking and the core & rendering stuff was left alone then yes, it should be easy for CIG to keep their changes and get it working while still using CIG's existing networking code & servers. If they said it didn't take a ton of time and it demonstrably happened then I think that we can take their word for it in this instance. I don't believe the "2 guys did it in 2 hours on their lunchbreak" part of their claim, 1-2 days is probably more reasonable.

Also it is possible to twist and turn yourself in micro-gravity. You can't add any angular momentum but you can change your orientation. Chris Roberts was right in this instance.

source your quotes

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Finally, a saga to match the 4th stimpires

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

I thought the other guy (Lord British?) was saying yeah you could twist and change orientation but not change your overall position; ie, if floating stationary in the middle of a big roomChris thought you could shift your weight in such a way as to go in a particular direction and reach a wall, the other guy was telling him in no uncertain terms he was wrong and you'd just spin on the spot

someone link the vid?

EDIT: here's the vid. I think they're sorta talking across purposes TBH, but Garriott seems to know what he's talking about and Chris is a lot more confused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 26, 2016

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Amazon targeted Star Citizen as a flagship AAA game :vince:

Chris wasn't jumping ship at all, makes so much sense! Crytek figuratively smoldering days prior was just a coincidence!

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Fatkraken posted:

I thought the other guy (Lord British?) was saying yeah you could twist and change orientation but not change your overall position; ie, if floating stationary in the middle of a big roomChris thought you could shift your weight in such a way as to go in a particular direction and reach a wall, the other guy was telling him in no uncertain terms he was wrong and you'd just spin on the spot

someone link the vid?

EDIT: here's the vid. I think they're sorta talking across purposes TBH, but Garriott seems to know what he's talking about and Chris is a lot more confused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

Garriott has been in space twice I think.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

someone link the vid?

It's been a while since I've seen that. I had forgotten what was actually said and was going by the repeated consensus of this thread. You are right, Garriott specifically mentions being able to turn around like a cat but not changing your overall spin which Roberts is contesting. My bad.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

But X-Wing was more of a space sim than anything any of the Robertses and gang has ever produced. :confused:
Have these people played any games ever?!

Sunswipe posted:

Don't modern military aircraft have this feature? I thought as soon as a plane detected someone had missile lock on it, it started screaming and flashing lights at the pilot to let him know he's going to die in a few seconds if he doesn't do something.

Screw “modern” — aircraft from the 1950s have this. Actual modern aircraft have integrated systems that take the very basic old RWR and juice it up with data from other sensors, external sources like AWACS and JSTARS and other aircraft in the flight package, to say nothing of the active measures available on the aircraft — all mashed into a complete battlefield picture and filtered and prioritised so you know at a glance what you need to worry about right this second. If the simplistic and imprecise warnings available in an arcade shooter made its way into a cockpit, even the weapons industry would be ashamed of it and offer a refund for being so utterly useless.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

I think porting their game from CryEngine to the exact same version of CryEngine will be good for Star Citizen.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So in response to me asking if a guy in another forum really believes that the 2 engineers a couple of days statement was reasonable

quote:

Yes that's right. A couple of days sounds like they took their time and did it very carefully actually. Learn to use Git and you'll have an idea of why.

All they did was rebase their changes onto a nearly identical branch from the original one they started with. This is seriously no big deal from a software engineering point of view. I guess its just mysterious magic to non-coders so that's why people like you are freaking out.

They actually took their time and did it very carefully!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Finally, a saga to match the 4th stimpires

You got a point. The 4th Simpire lore never covered mass vomiting.

What a community.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Roddenberry was pretty hosed up, which explains people like Fuzzy Modem being so drawn to that series.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

orcinus posted:

Yup, that's Unity.
They do have the advantage of working on STALKER before this (well, some of them), though :D

"some" as in one person

game looks p cool though. will definitely give it a try once its released.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

HycoCam posted:

ROFL--Private servers. Did you ever see FREE Private Servers mentioned?

Yes, believe it or not players running their own moddable private servers were one of the front page promises for the kickstarter.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Q: Can I redistribute source code modifications to Lumberyard?
Yes, you can redistribute up to 50 lines of source code, on forums (including the official Lumberyard contribution forum), or elsewhere. You may also share modifications with your contractors and publishers working on your game, as set out in the Service Terms. Otherwise, you may not release Lumberyard engine source code.

Hopefully Roberts relays changes in the code to the official forums to get them accepted.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

orcinus posted:

Theorycrafting about what it would be like if Star Citizen actually came out is nice and all, but missed one glaring issue - even if it did somehow come out, and was technically completely functional, and contained all the features announced...

... it would still be unplayable and broken. Because the fundamental design of the game is either completely lacking, or totally broken, depending on the area, and people designing it couldn't be trusted to design a circle with a drafting compass.

From a few pages back, I can't ever keep up with the thread, but can you recommend a good drafting compass? I have a semi decent bow style, but it just doesn't work out for my projects.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Colostomy Bag posted:

Q: Can I redistribute source code modifications to Lumberyard?
Yes, you can redistribute up to 50 lines of source code, on forums (including the official Lumberyard contribution forum), or elsewhere. You may also share modifications with your contractors and publishers working on your game, as set out in the Service Terms. Otherwise, you may not release Lumberyard engine source code.

Hopefully Roberts relays changes in the code to the official forums to get them accepted.

LOL RIP Bugsmashers.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

orcinus posted:

This is getting ridiculous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok1lWEq2Q-Q

I like it.

It really -is- getting ridiculous.

I've been playtesting this title on and off since August with the first roll-out and it is spectacular to watch things -actually- develop in a title.

That they are not only eager but -capable- of layering so much detail into the title is a thrill in and of itself. These developers are making Unity their bitch and then some.

My exposure to SC, thanks to a zealous (8K deep) coworker has always been one of a baffled disbelief - from the get go the project has always struck me as promising the world and having zero capability of delivery. But then what do I know, I just used to work in the industry ;)

Tarkov on the other hand promises a lot, too: insanely complex, simulation-grade small arms combat. It doesn't sound like much at a glance but the level of detail and thought being poured into this game by the devs is something else. The crucial thing here is of course that they actually are delivering what is being promised.

Yes it has had some clunky aspects. Yes it has had its share of bugs - what game does not? But bit by bit this is coming into its own and you need not blow 500 bucks to join in on it either. If any of you are on the fence and have ever had a liking or even an interest in more 'simulator' grade shooters? Did you like Arma or Stalker - this really is the love-child of the two. A title to keep eyes out for, at the very least.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 26, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

BitBasher posted:

Yes, believe it or not players running their own moddable private servers were one of the front page promises for the kickstarter.

FREE private servers were never mentioned. Just Private Servers. If private servers ever did become a thing, the first thing CIG would claim is the database and the like are too complicated/too proprietary to distribute so players will need to rent seats on a private server. i.e. it is your server, but you pay CIG a hosting fee.

But like all things CIG and Star Citizen--dreams. There will never be private servers for a game that will never exist.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

It seems many in the community have an extreme aversion to FDev making a space sim. Maybe it's just that they get defensive about SC? Or maybe they see ED forming into something great and they feel cheated about buying SC? Don't know.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Das Butterbrot posted:

"some" as in one person

Considering the history of other projects with ex-GSC Game World employees, maybe it's a good thing it's just one person.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

From a few pages back, I can't ever keep up with the thread, but can you recommend a good drafting compass? I have a semi decent bow style, but it just doesn't work out for my projects.

Not really, sorry, i think the last time i did any drafting was in high school or thereabouts.
And that was with a bow compass.

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

Wise Learned Man posted:

It seems many in the community have an extreme aversion to FDev making a space sim. Maybe it's just that they get defensive about SC? Or maybe they see ED forming into something great and they feel cheated about buying SC? Don't know.

Elite: Dangerous would be a very old game by the time SC would ever be able to actually release at the current rate of progress. It's delusional to feel that Frontier is afraid of Star Citizen.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

It really -is- getting ridiculous.

I've been playtesting this title on and off since August with the first roll-out and it is spectacular to watch things -actually- develop in a title.

That they are not only eager but -capable- of layering so much detail into the title is a thrill in and of itself. These developers are making Unity their bitch and then some.

My exposure to SC, thanks to a zealous (8K deep) coworker has always been one of a baffled disbelief - from the get go the project has always struck me as promising the world and having zero capability of delivery. But then what do I know, I just used to work in the industry ;)

Tarkov on the other hand promises a lot, too: insanely complex, simulation-grade small arms combat. It doesn't sound like much at a glance but the level of detail and thought being poured into this game by the devs is something else. The crucial thing here is of course that they actually are delivering what is being promised.

Yes it has had some clunky aspects. Yes it has had its share of bugs - what game does not? But bit by bit this is coming into its own and you need not blow 500 bucks to join in on it either. If any of you are on the fence and have ever had a liking or even an interest in more 'simulator' grade shooters? Did you like Arma or Stalker - this really is the love-child of the two. A title to keep eyes out for, at the very least.

I played the alpha a bit , and not once did my character turn into something from a nightmare with spinning limbs and janky as gently caress jittering

So +42 for the tarkov devs

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

DarkDobe posted:

Glad to hear it's shaping up nicely.
I didn't buy into the alpha, but i've been following its development for about a year now.

(And yes, i loved both the STALKER series and Arma, although more STALKER than Arma. That's why EFT caught my eye in the first place.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rudager posted:

So in response to me asking if a guy in another forum really believes that the 2 engineers a couple of days statement was reasonable

They actually took their time and did it very carefully!
Rebasing small projects always ends in drama, certainly SC would even more so.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: Alright babies...

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hmmmm. I think that guy is still pushing off air. You shouldn't be able to turn around in a vacuum from a stationary position, and end up in the same posture, without pushing off something or throwing something out. Technically, pushing off or throwing off something twice. I can imagine scenarios where you have like a weighted hula hoop around you, and you rotate it one way while you turn the other, but it shouldn't be doable without movable counterweight objects like that.

I'm not totally convinced I'm right, as I'm imagining a cat folding itself in a "U", then turning inside out, but that still has unbalanced inertia. Either way, afterwords he keeps spinning and has to steady himself. He picked up angular momentum from somewhere. Pushing against air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Regrettable posted:

They paid Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, and some other actors to mocap their parts in the game multiple times because they kept loving up.

Don't forget the forgettable Sandi 'Mae "Sleeping with the Chairman" Demming' Gardiner, bet she does not cum cheap, if at all.