Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hyping idpol don't count for poo poo if nobody has any faith in them what hype it up to actually follow through.

Like Hillary's campaign or Obama's administration for instance.

(Hillary bad, Bernie would have won, kiss my rear end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

good luck convincing racial minorities to stay in a coalition that literally refuses to acknowledge their problems or identity for fear of provoking a "racial fight" with whites

What I said is that he said that racial politics plays right into the hands of those who want a confrontation about racial politics. Of course people want their problems and identities to be seen and valued. No one wants to feel condescended to or ignored.
That's why it's so important to build solidarity. People have problems, and they want them solved. A politics that slings around words like "white fragility" and conflates privilege with power is going to alienate people, the same as a politics that slings around "thugs and welfare queens" and just can't get enough of crime statistics.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the only moral salt is logikv9's salt

*changes the thread title again*

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
*Democrats lose election somehow*

"Hmm what if we had like 8 or 9 different, potentially conflicting messages tailored to different identities but all by necessity promoted by 1 or at most 2 people for the next election, maybe that would be a good way to fight against a campaign of Making America Great Again"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Hyping idpol don't count for poo poo if nobody has any faith in them what hype it up to actually follow through.

Like Hillary or Obama, for instance.

yeah, all that idpol stuff hillary pushed, like __________ and __________

maybe she would have had decent minority turnout if she'd clearly stated a civil rights platform beyond "equality good, trump bad"

Grondoth posted:

What I said is that he said that racial politics plays right into the hands of those who want a confrontation about racial politics. Of course people want their problems and identities to be seen and valued. No one wants to feel condescended to or ignored.
That's why it's so important to build solidarity. People have problems, and they want them solved. A politics that slings around words like "white fragility" and conflates privilege with power is going to alienate people, the same as a politics that slings around "thugs and welfare queens" and just can't get enough of crime statistics.

it's also a politics that doesn't exist. it's something white supremacists made up based on quote-mining random fringe activists

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's actually epsom salts you fool

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

logikv9 posted:

it's actually epsom salts you fool

nooooooooooooo, undone by magnesium

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

loquacius posted:

Like Hillary would have ever ended up getting gun control legislation through Congress

I legit think that if Obama couldn't do that right after Sandy Hook, no one could. You'd need a Dem supermajority for that poo poo.

and after that few weeks of martial law in some areas

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
*smokes bath salts marxistly*

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Main Paineframe posted:

it's also a politics that doesn't exist. it's something white supremacists made up based on quote-mining random fringe activists

it does but it's mostly college towns

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

"We could break up the banks, but would that solve racism?"

"first female president"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Baloogan posted:

jeb waw sas not laiekd liekd fro m the part'ys base

:stare:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

what

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

This thread is where I heard "White Fragility." Someone linked a thing about how it affected the election. Tautum brought up how even a rich person with a non-white sounding name gets turned down more in job applications, but rich people don't just rely on applications, there's no way the guy taking the application of someone who's powerful wouldn't have heard of his name until he read it on the form.

It's not everywhere, but it exists. The performativley woke are the public face of the left in many places, the entire internet is looking at that MTV thing right now. It's probably been a long time since you've been near a big college campus or school, but this stuff is alive there man. I thought it was all stupid hyperbole too until I saw it. I think if we start laughing at it instead of going "nah man no one thinks that" everyone will be in a better place.

It's dumb and makes me uncomfortable to talk about because it's so dumb, but I think the internet left has become kind of an albatross around our necks that no one knows what to do with. The alt-right is a similar thing, but the republicans have so many scammers and charlatans hanging around their movements I think they've come to just power through them with actual political organization. The democrats, uh... really don't have that. That's the most important thing, making the democratic party an actual useful thing because for like 10 years we've ignored like most of the country, and most of the counties of the states we do control.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I loved how Clintons campaign pushed how HISTORICAL a female president would have been as if that barrier hadn't been broken all over the planet including places like China and Russia.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ace of Baes posted:

I loved how Clintons campaign pushed how HISTORICAL a female president would have been as if that barrier hadn't been broken all over the planet including places like China and Russia.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

noted idpol crusader hillary rodham "all lives matter" clinton

could you imagine having the stones to say "all lives matter" in a black church in loving ferguson?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
O'Brien: There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always — do not forget this, Winston — always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Winston: But what if it was a female boot tho?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

theflyingexecutive posted:

noted idpol crusader hillary rodham "all lives matter" clinton

could you imagine having the stones to say "all lives matter" in a black church in loving ferguson?

hahaha she loving did this i forgot about that

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

i'm not entirely sure if dowager empresses and catherine the great really count for that

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm not entirely sure if dowager empresses and catherine the great really count for that

China had a female co-chair of their government in the 1970's.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hillary clinton was, is, and shall forevermore be, lame and bad.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Also like I was saying earlier, ever pres election after 1996 was won by the candidate who was liked more by their party's base.

92 actually, Republicans didn't like Bush after going back on the tax promise and the recession.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you take nothing else from my posts, that is the crux, the main idea of my shitposting: the clintons are terrible people and their supporters deserve no future in leadership, lest chelsea get ideas.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

China had a female co-chair of their government in the 1970's.

oh right mao's wife and the gang of four, lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Main Paineframe posted:

The quintessential tragedy of Hillary Clinton is the utter, total vapidness that defined her campaign. She didn't even really offer anything in terms of substantial identity-oriented, intersectional policy, but still gleefully used empty "idpol" platitudes to discredit all opposition and all calls for specific, defined action by calling the opponents and activists not sufficiently invested into some nebulous concept of the new left. In the end she worked first and foremost to preemptively turn the Democratic platform into a whole bunch of nothing, so she wouldn't be beholden to any promises during her tenure.

Or in other words, her idea of idpol was basically the equivalent of awareness activism, and much like awareness activism it was used to crowd out real people with plans and results from the public space.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I am having the best/worst time watching Obama try to pretend he did nothing wrong.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Like Hillary's campaign or Obama's administration for instance.

(Hillary bad, Bernie would have won, kiss my rear end)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
remember the great society, when the left were able to do economic reform and civil rights legislation at the same time? i miss those days.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Clinton's only real offer was copy-pasted stuff from Bernie's campaign that she would've drug her heels on or never did in the first place and the typical Democrat's position that somehow having a woman, a Hispanic, or an African American be the one to decide to lay-off everyone while raising their own paycheck so that they can buy a personal jet, another manor, three yachts, and a platinum and gold plated dildo is somehow far better than it being a typical old rear end cracker guy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

remember the great society, when the left were able to do economic reform and civil rights legislation at the same time? i miss those days.

LBJ passed medicare, Savior Obama passed a healthcare plan that subsidized the same insurance and big pharma people causing the healthcare cost problem.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Main Paineframe posted:

The only "leftist" who doesn't want to replicate this model is Clinton (and her stooges) who is afraid of angering her lizard financier overlords. Without cowardly, corrupt shitbirds like her the left would be making strides towards a true intersectional platform.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh right mao's wife and the gang of four, lol

Are you saying it doesn't count because it was a past leaders wife?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I didn't see the youtube, was waiting for this though. :bernin:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

LBJ passed medicare, Savior Obama passed a healthcare plan that subsidized the same insurance and big pharma people causing the healthcare cost problem.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

i wonder if those things and the subsequent collapse of the party from 1968-1992 are related

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

Are you saying it doesn't count because it was a past leaders wife?

no I just completely forgot about her

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

also wasn't Zhou in charge for the first half of the cultural revolution anyway

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mao tricked Zhou into thinking he was in charge at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also wasn't Zhou in charge for the first half of the cultural revolution anyway

sort of. Zhou was basically managing the country while Mao and friends conducted the more insane parts of the Cultural Revolution, and they threatened to purge Zhou too when he started questioning parts of it.

• Locked thread