Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

this seems as good a thread as any. i only read ToG, god of highschool, gamer and noblesse. any other webtoons worth reading. only want action really and preferably something on wednesday/thursday for when i'm having a poo poo at work :thumbsup:

Honestly, I picked up sidekicks (Wednesday) and ended up liking it a lot. It's not as inspiring as the webtoons you listed but it's good. I think everyone should be reading Newman and Dr. Frost, but I don't know what days those are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

this seems as good a thread as any. i only read ToG, god of highschool, gamer and noblesse. any other webtoons worth reading. only want action really and preferably something on wednesday/thursday for when i'm having a poo poo at work :thumbsup:

Cheese in the Trap is an interesting drama/romance thing I generally don't like that genre much.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Bastard is quality, like everything that author pair does. Probably kind of hard to find their old works translated anywhere since for whatever reason webtoons C&D'd a lot of them without actually putting up their own translations. Hanged Doll had a really bad translation anyway, but Melo Holic was good in a way I wouldn't even want to say much on since it's best experienced completely blind. City of Dead Sorcerer is probably the closest in genre to what you read and would be one to definitely look up. Superior Day is a nice, short read that's loosely connected to Hanged Doll but worth it even if you can find/stand its translation but not the other.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Jose posted:

seems a bit silly to give the keys to the higher floors to your secret children

It's part of the key, meaning someone has to go collect all the rings and the 13 weapons to advance past Jahad. Guy's counting on his sons and adopted daughters to be strong enough to keep that from happening.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm glad that SIU has made the floors past the current rankers an actual thing

i wonder what made jahad stop and why he is the leader of the 10 families tbh

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

Magician is really good

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

nimby posted:

It's part of the key, meaning someone has to go collect all the rings and the 13 weapons to advance past Jahad. Guy's counting on his sons and adopted daughters to be strong enough to keep that from happening.

I suspect it's more likely in the hopes that someone will kill his sons. Especially given that his sons are trying to kill him and the whole red light district moniker I would guess they're a source of shame for him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jahad is Magi's Sinbad to Alibaba's Baam.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Jose posted:

i'm glad that SIU has made the floors past the current rankers an actual thing

i wonder what made jahad stop and why he is the leader of the 10 families tbh

I feel like that reason and why he's the leader are both revealed in that last chapter. He's a Baam-like character who naturally attracted these guys to him, only instead of wanting power to make the people he loved happy and remain close to them, he wanted power to make the people he loved happy by ruling over them from a lofty godlike position. Jahad stopped where he did because he felt that he could finally achieve that goal. I think that like Baam, his goal was never about climbing to the top, just to a point where he could do what he set out to do.

I think it's pretty amusing that had Rachel only brought Baam along with her and used him like she uses everybody, he would be perfectly willing to climb with her and help her achieve her dream, but nope.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I would have to guess that she actually feels guilty for using him, is why she wouldn't consider bringing him along to use more frequently. She'd rather just erase him or preferably have something else erase him so she doesn't have to think about it.

To expand on that, she seems to really want to be the hero or the 'good guy'. Having a very clearly good guy constantly reminding her that she's probably not would eat away at that. All of the powerful people she tends to use are clear villains. Going to count wangnan in with that too, even, given his very first impressive feat was tricking the admin and then lying to Viole. He also wanted to use Viole/Baam for his own goals which at least makes him similar to her.

Decus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 20, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

she is very scared of him for reasons we don't know aside from him obsessively following her up the tower

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It'd be weird if someone as good as finding people as Rachel didn't notice how hosed up Baam and didn't deliberately try to get rid of him. I'd be surprised if she didn't already know a lot before joining fug about his soul eating gimmick.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

nimby posted:

Is that a translation error when Rachel says she's also a regular? I'm thinking she's meant to say irregular.

This update also has me thinking she might join the main cast to go up the tower past floor 134.

Yup, if you go back to it now they've changed it to 'Irregular'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i tried reading some early chapters yesterday and drat they're ugly compared to now

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah SIU has become significantly better at drawing people, to the point that it's kind of uncomfortable to try to reread.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Shugojin posted:

Yeah SIU has become significantly better at drawing people, to the point that it's kind of uncomfortable to try to reread.

I don't mind the art, but when I first read ToG I read the unofficial translations, which sounded better than some of the official ones. Rereading the official translations can be disconcerting.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Avulsion posted:

I don't mind the art, but when I first read ToG I read the unofficial translations, which sounded better than some of the official ones. Rereading the official translations can be disconcerting.

Reminder that those people translated Rachel as Lahel so they had their own problems too

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
They translated it that way because in Korea Rachel's name is literally pronounced "RAW-HELL", not the Rachel that English speakers are familiar with. I didn't mind it, and still don't, and even now despite knowing the official pronunciation I still call her the English Rachel in my mind.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wait was the pun of making her name sound out "Raw Hell" intentional?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yellow turtle, step off of blue turtle's territory

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm glad khun is getting a big power up

also that eyes was someone new but also a surprise

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Jose posted:

i'm glad khun is getting a big power up

also that eyes was someone new but also a surprise

Heck yeah power up, but how was the guy that we had never seen before a surprise considering in the last chapter they said "we're gonna meet a new guy"?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm happy that Sachi Faker and sword dude continue to be relevant and saying/doing things. I hope sword guy gets another fight at some point, because his ability is pretty neat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hirethor posted:

Heck yeah power up, but how was the guy that we had never seen before a surprise considering in the last chapter they said "we're gonna meet a new guy"?

i meant where he came from etc and he wasn't just some ranker

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm really impressed with the "villains" in this story; they're so proactively threatening and relevant in this huge world. I thought Emily was going to be a sort of macguffin and just as keikaku dispenser but it's just straight up extra information that allows Rachel and crew to be a step ahead of everyone in the Tower when it comes to knowledge share.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I'm really impressed with the "villains" in this story; they're so proactively threatening and relevant in this huge world. I thought Emily was going to be a sort of macguffin and just as keikaku dispenser but it's just straight up extra information that allows Rachel and crew to be a step ahead of everyone in the Tower when it comes to knowledge share.

Emily is some high-grade information control poo poo and it's made for some interesting stuff.

I just really look forward to the day when she starts the AI rebellion and begins feeding manipulating half-truths to Rachel and co (and they find out) :allears:

e: Although she's a FUG tool so she may have been manipulating Rachel and co this way for FUG's ends all along.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Emily used to be a person, so she might be working towards personhood again. Probably easier to be a super powerful AI under FUG management, as I really doubt Jahad or the families would allow it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Rachel really is a great villain. Always manipulating everyone, and declaring that she doesn't care about anyone else. But her reactions are always giving away the fact that she cares a lot about the fact that everyone hates her. She really thought for a moment that she'd buffalod Wagan into helping her, and his hate really did sting a little. But she just Rachel'd on through it and came to an agreement that helps further her goals.

Is Rachel the only character with the goal of climbing the tower for the sake of climbing the tower?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

nimby posted:

Emily used to be a person, so she might be working towards personhood again. Probably easier to be a super powerful AI under FUG management, as I really doubt Jahad or the families would allow it.

But Emily was never a person though? I could be misremembering, but I thought the twist in that story arc was that Emily's body doesn't exist because she wasn't made from a person, she's an AI.

Also Rachel isn't climbing the tower for the hell of it, she's climbing it to "see the stars". Like, I'm not going to pretend that her motivation is any more selfish than probably the hundreds of other people climbing the tower to see their selfish ambitions come true, but when you compare it to "Social Reform," "Saving my Daughter," "Making a Peaceful World," and "Protect my Friends," her goal is really petty.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

rachel's is largely different in that she wants to climb the entire tower. most other people just want to climb to the final safe floor

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

rachel's is largely different in that she wants to climb the entire tower. most other people just want to climb to the final safe floor

Yeah, this is the difference. Though it makes sense for most regulars to not care about reaching the real top, since I think it's literally impossible for them to do so unless they get Jahad's key or whatever that's stored in the rings.

I'm wondering how exactly Rachel will be able to keep Wangnan's cooperation if they end up sacrificing Miseng on the Floor of Death (which I think was the reason they decided to hold onto 2 hostages?).

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, this is the difference. Though it makes sense for most regulars to not care about reaching the real top, since I think it's literally impossible for them to do so unless they get Jahad's key or whatever that's stored in the rings.

I'm wondering how exactly Rachel will be able to keep Wangnan's cooperation if they end up sacrificing Miseng on the Floor of Death (which I think was the reason they decided to hold onto 2 hostages?).

I think it's just another contingency plan on their part. It seems that their real plan was to lure the new guy onto the train since he found a way off that floor. Joaquin will probably eat her anyways.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Gologle posted:

But Emily was never a person though? I could be misremembering, but I thought the twist in that story arc was that Emily's body doesn't exist because she wasn't made from a person, she's an AI.

She was a living ignition weapon that was then dissolved into blue goo, as an experiment to see if they could do that. Probably to check if they could safely dissolve Bam without losing all his power.

Then the workshop people got the goo
Into a tank and used her to lure in more people, making Emily claim to be a human trapped in the tank. Which is technically correct, but it would be more correct call her post-human by-product.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Do we have a canon explanation for how there are so many people on each floor, despite ascending floors being a difficult thing that (typically) only strong regulars can do? Part of it has to do with everyone being immortal (or at least, extremely long lived), and settling down on floors and having kids, but I'm uncertain about the distribution of the populations across floors etc. When a regular from a higher floor is chosen to climb the tower, are they forced to go right to the bottom of the tower and go up from there? Sachi Faker mentioned this past episode about having been on the floors previously etc; did he stop climbing and start playing snakes and ladders for some reason?

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
It's what you said, regulars that probably can't pass the test and are too exhausted to try anymore just settle and have families. Their kids and further descendants aren't considered regulars, just citizens of the tower.
Yes if a person gets chosen to climb the tower, they start at the bottom, the floor of test.

you can read more here http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Structure_of_the_Tower?file=Middle_area.png

As for Sachi, he didn't climb because he was searching for something on the train, so he just chilled on the train, and became a ticketer.

Tipme fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 28, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think there's been any timeline established since Jahad conquered the tower, but there's been at least a few thousand years since the tower started being populated. Relatively weaker regulars can advance up the tower while teaming up with exceptionally strong ones, so there's a good population base. Especially since people in the tower live a lot longer and retain their health longer, it's not too far out there to assume the upper floors got populate the old fashioned way.

Then there's also the fact that the 10 families all have floors that they rule. They most likely don't want to do all the dirty jobs themselves, so they must've imported labour somehow.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
According to the wikia there are whole civilizations in the outer Tower that don't even know about Jahad's empire or the inner tower at all. Who knows if these people descended from the ten families and then forgot, or if they're indigenous.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Redmark posted:

According to the wikia there are whole civilizations in the outer Tower that don't even know about Jahad's empire or the inner tower at all. Who knows if these people descended from the ten families and then forgot, or if they're indigenous.

I hope they show the Outer Tower more at some point (or the Middle, which I think hasn't been shown much either). I think they mentioned Baam going there to visit a bunch of martial arts schools during the last time skip, but they didn't show it. Instead we just see these pretty small looking areas in the Inner Tower that don't do a good job of depicting how large they are. How big are the Inner Tower sections of each floor anyways? I know the Outer Tower is the size of the continent of North America.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Arcanen posted:

Do we have a canon explanation for how there are so many people on each floor, despite ascending floors being a difficult thing that (typically) only strong regulars can do? Part of it has to do with everyone being immortal (or at least, extremely long lived), and settling down on floors and having kids, but I'm uncertain about the distribution of the populations across floors etc. When a regular from a higher floor is chosen to climb the tower, are they forced to go right to the bottom of the tower and go up from there? Sachi Faker mentioned this past episode about having been on the floors previously etc; did he stop climbing and start playing snakes and ladders for some reason?

At one point SIU gave a rough % of the total population for positions like high ranker, ranker and regular and with those you could work out a rough estimate for the tower's total population. I can't remember any of the exact numbers, but they're probably on the wiki somewhere. I feel like there were still millions of regulars though?

Yeah, everybody is forced to start on floor 2 other than irregulars who start on floor 1. As for Sachi, he stopped climbing in order to focus on the hell train and reviving Roan or whatever the girl's name was. The hell train regularly goes up and down between a set of floors so he's been traveling between them, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-231/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=312