Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I would be somewhat surprised if Caitlyn Jenner doesn't run over at least one character in the new one. Really not the game/show for you if easily offended.

Eh, the last one was generally good about being Video Game Humor instead of, well, South Park humor.

The new one is kind of up in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The witcher 3 on death March isn't hard. Stack potion skills, like overdosing being a benefit, knowing potions increases your health, use the decoction that heals on hit ... like most witcher combat w3 is timing and movement based and heavily reliant on build. It's not the games strength but it certainly isn't as bad as goons make out.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

New one dude, nor the old one. From previews and trailers, how much does it punch down?

how should we know? just watch the loving trailers, dude.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

the game's not hard and you can play it on easy if you want

Easy doesn't make it better.

In some ways it makes it worse.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Is PSN down for anyone else?

Edit: Back up. Mercifully brief...

Flayer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 27, 2016

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nope

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The thing I hated most about the Witcher is that they give you all this equipment and items and about 90 percent of it is garbage.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

blackguy32 posted:

The thing I hated most about the Witcher is that they give you all this equipment and items and about 90 percent of it is garbage.
I'm waiting for the RPG that doesn't do that. It's a fine line between an interesting world and a poo poo load of junk.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

For Honor will be my first 2017 purchase, but I don't know if I'll like it based on the alpha/beta. Got misleading impressions from betas before though.

2017 is not looking as fun as 2016 was so far. Not super excited about anything until RDR 2, which I have a feeling will be bumped to 2018. Was hoping ME Andromeda would be good but that first real gameplay trailer was awful.

Edit: here's my "probably gonna buy" list with my various Canadian discounts on everything:

Platinum headset - January 12, 2017 ($168)
For Honor - February 14, 2017 ($64)
Sniper Elite 4 - February 14, 2017 ($64) - will probably wait for a deeper discount on this
Rainbow Six Siege Year 2 - February, 2017
Horizon: Zero Dawn - February 28, 2017 ($64)
Ghost Recon: Wildlands - March 7, 2017 ($35)
Mass Effect: Andromeda - March 29, 2017 ($50)
South Park: Fractured but Whole - March 31, 2017 (paid)
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Fall 2017 ($64)

Wait for For Honor to get out the door and see how it does for a bit. I played the demo at PAX with some friends, and it was not a good game. There's some serious issues with hit timing for counters and blocks, and it just doesn't look like it'll have that much variety to it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah i'm putting RE7 and For Honor on my wait and see list

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, For Honor is one of those "good idea, but the execution..." thing for me based off what I've played. Maybe the final version will be more polished but I just did not enjoy it at all.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

What is everyone's first planned purchase of 2017 for their PS4? I am thinking either Resident Evil 7 or Hitman season 1 for me.

Yakuza and new Hatsune Miku.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I totally didnt realise that yakuza 0 was late january, thats my first game of the year. Havent played any of the series but I like what I've seen of other people playing it. Still probably going to waste money adding to my backlog because I am bad at money.

I keep seeing stuff about the new mass effect and going "Oh, cool! Thats coming out!" before remembering that I didnt actually like mass effect 1 or 2 (didnt play 3 because I didnt like the first 2). I like all the component parts, RPGs, space opera, shooters, but something about the way Bioware combines them does absolutely nothing for me. I dont have anything against their success, a lot of people I know love them and played the entire series to completion multiple times, but I they just dont click with me. Theres at least a 60% chance that someone will tell me "Andromeda fixes all the little things you didnt like about the series!" and I'll believe them, buy it, then play for about 2 hours total before quitting because, y'know, bad at money.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

What is everyone's first planned purchase of 2017 for their PS4? I am thinking either Resident Evil 7 or Hitman season 1 for me.

Gravity Rush 2, definitely. I've waiting for that game ever since I played the first one on the Vita. Playing the PS4 remaster earlier this year just reinforced how much I want that game.

So did the demo for GR2 that hit last week.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Morby posted:

Yakuza and new Hatsune Miku.

Yeah this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All Yakuzas that Sega bless us with

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, in terms of games I want in January there is:

GR2, KH, Resident Evil, Tales of Bersaria, DQVIII3DS, Yakuza 0, Double Dragon IV, and Atelier Shallie Plus.

I will obviously have to trim that down because christ.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I still have so many games from 2016 to play it's insane. Don't get me started on next year!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Flayer posted:

I'm waiting for the RPG that doesn't do that. It's a fine line between an interesting world and a poo poo load of junk.
Let me tell you about...

:darksouls:

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
I still have so many games I need to beat, agh.

But still, Gravity Rush 2 is definitely the first game I'll be getting next year. And on that note, two ten minute OVAs just came out for it. They seem to be something of a prequel/lead in to GR2 and have some pretty cool action sequences. Both are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFeXtu-3u78

You may need to turn on captions if youtube doesn't automatically throw em on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

Let me tell you about...

:darksouls:

I'm loving DS3, it's finally clicked after befriending the giant and fighting the tree.

Praise From

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Flayer posted:

Yes, but the Witcher is really bad about it. Like is there ever any reason to use non-Witcher gear?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I still have so many games from 2016 to play it's insane. Don't get me started on next year!

I'm completely fine with not getting anything until Persona 5 comes out, plenty of time to catch up on my PS4 backlog. Now if things clear up by the time Nier releases, then even better!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Yes, but the Witcher is really bad about it. Like is there ever any reason to use non-Witcher gear?

I mean, I guess you have to wear SOMETHING until you get your hands on a complete Witcher set.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I forgot about P5 :v:

Thank you Sony

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Alternately I didn't find even getting the witcher worth bothering with because the game is so easy on normal and not fun on hard.

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

So I just got a PS4 Pro and am looking for games to pick up for it. I already have an XBox One so am looking mostly for console exclusives.

I'm browsing through the sales going on and all I've decided on so far is Bloodborne. Any other suggestions (arcade or full-games)?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
2017 is looking to be my cautious optimism year. For Honor, Horizon, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and RE7 are all potentially really neat but we'll see. I liked all the Andromeda trailers but I prefer sci-fi to fantasy settings so I give it some leeway on the open world-y look of it. Multiplayer in DQH2 looks potentially fun and if DQ11 or Destiny 2 are coming out this year, those are other strong maybes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

blackguy32 posted:

If you're a super stats sperg you can mix and match the armor parts that give the best critical hit bonus/ critical hit chance and do about a million damage per hit

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

If you're a super stats sperg you can mix and match the armor parts that give the best critical hit bonus/ critical hit chance and do about a million damage per hit

Stats nothing. You get that armor to play pretty princess Witcher dress-up with Geralt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

2017 is looking to be my cautious optimism year. For Honor, Horizon, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and RE7 are all potentially really neat but we'll see. I liked all the Andromeda trailers but I prefer sci-fi to fantasy settings so I give it some leeway on the open world-y look of it. Multiplayer in DQH2 looks potentially fun and if DQ11 or Destiny 2 are coming out this year, those are other strong maybes.

I will say that I really genuinely think Horizon looks fun but what people seem hyped about doesn't seem like the game I'm seeing which looks like a pretty basic open world game with a fun monster hunter light concept. So I fully expect at once to enjoy it and for a lot of people to loathe it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HelloNewman posted:

So I just got a PS4 Pro and am looking for games to pick up for it. I already have an XBox One so am looking mostly for console exclusives.

I'm browsing through the sales going on and all I've decided on so far is Bloodborne. Any other suggestions (arcade or full-games)?

Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered, Until Dawn

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered, Until Dawn

It's actually kinda sad that those are the only 4 games that ever get mentioned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It's actually kinda sad that those are the only 4 games that ever get mentioned.

Well, they're the easiest 4 exclusives to mention. I would tell someone who liked anime-as-gently caress JRPGs to pick up Disgaea 5 for example but that isn't something to throw out of nowhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Gravity Rush 2 looks lovely but I'm more than a little concerned about its performance. The devs really went whole hog on particle effects and I can hear the frame rate whimpering every time you get into a major melee.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What does this even mean? You don't tell someone to not pick up Mario or Zelda when they ask for Nintendo suggestions.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

I will say that I really genuinely think Horizon looks fun but what people seem hyped about doesn't seem like the game I'm seeing which looks like a pretty basic open world game with a fun monster hunter light concept. So I fully expect at once to enjoy it and for a lot of people to loathe it.

I'm expecting it to be Far Cry Primal with robo-dinosaurs and will be happy with that just because the robot designs I've seen look amazing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Hey, it's 4 more than the Xbox.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Aside from Uncharted 4, those other TWO are incredibly cheap. It's a lot easier to go "oh hey these few games are like twenty bucks a piece and really highly reviewed give them a chance" to new PS4 owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Well, they're the easiest 4 exclusives to mention. I would tell someone who liked anime-as-gently caress JRPGs to pick up Disgaea 5 for example but that isn't something to throw out of nowhere.

I would have recommended WOFF in that case too, but he said he had a Pro and that's not getting patched until at least mid-January. :(

in terms of other exclusives, there's Resogun, Infamous/First Light, Little Big Planet 3, and, of course, Knack.

If you never had a PS3, the Uncharted Collection would be another good one to get.

• Locked thread