Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

chunkles posted:

on one hand, taunting is extremely cool. on the other hand, doing the big balls dance with everyone knowing it costs $50k to do is even more cool

Agreed

Double agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

The B_36 posted:

The Draymond call was probably one that could have been let go, but calling a foul on it isn't insane or anything. Green should learn to pick his spots for throwing a tantrum, and 2 minutes into a 4-2 game isn't the right spot for it. But, Draymond appears to be the rich man's Ron Artest, or the poor man's Dennis Rodman - they play with alot of energy and passion, it's why they're good on defense, but it occasionally goes overboard, and the team has to judge whether their overall play is worth the drama they start every so often. It almost always was for Rodman, it usually is for Draymond, and it was 50/50 for Artest.

The reason he threw a tantrum was because it was his second foul and knocked him out of the biggest game of the year so far basically immediately. 99% of NBA players would throw a fit in that situation, it's what NBA players do

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

E2M2 posted:

https://twitter.com/NBARefStats/status/813509057461899264

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/12/L2M-GSW-CLE-12-25-16.pdf

Still shouldn't have let the Cavs get back into the game, but hell it was just a 1 pt loss on the road.

I mean poo poo THEY SHOOK GOD drat

Durant's shoes let him down big time. If he had teflon shoes, that old man Jefferson would have slid right off.

R.D. Mangles posted:

each NBA player should be allowed to have a mouthy 5'2" dude who sits courtside and taunts the other team for them

A court jester... I'd love to see a movie based on this where it's Woody Allen mumbling obsequious nothings and LeBron or DMC coming over to squash him.

Midget bowling in the NBA? Say no more fam.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The B_36 posted:

That one was let go not (just) because of who did it, but when it happened.

I get that was why they did it in that situation. I was just pointing out that in general, stars are generally given more leeway to hang on rims than non-stars.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I just want to say shout-out to Richard Jefferson for being, quite literally, Savvy Old Man Moves personified.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Completely down with the piƱata and dove backboard idea

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Hornets will cruise to victory tonight. My team baby!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Papercut posted:

I would hope Warriors management is much more concerned about the absolutely garbage rear end unforced turnovers that plague Curry's game more than Draymond's intensity. It absolutely boggles my mind that he's still doing this poo poo, I would've expected some of the veterans like Igoudala to step in by this point and be like cut the poo poo.

People talk about teamwork, blah blah, but the truth us, we all want a hot doger. Curry isn't chucking this year, and he and the Warriors are worse for it, because he is the greatest chucker the game has ever seen.

management needs to get off durants jock and pump up curry again. or don't, whatever it will be funny if the stats nerds take another L.

don't buy into your own poo poo.. yall were great because Curry was an ungaurdable monster, and the rest of the team roleplayers. teamwork is bs. you have a player who shot from half court as his offense. thats not great passing.

Femur fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 27, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chuckers are extremely important and we need a rehabilitative stat for them. The universe where Allen Iversons stats are just slightly above average is not a universe i want to be in.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
My philosophical position on taunting is that one man has no right to taunt if he got his big dunk as a result of his teammates setting crisp screens, coach calling a good action, and the pg giving him a perfect pass

However if someone does something cheap to you on the court, then you get them back by dunking on them, blowing by them, melting them with a screen, then you can taunt

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The Warriors seem worse this year and I don't really understand why. Even watching them they look decisively mortal. Obviously if they get two hot hands in their lineup anywhere they obliterate opponents from orbit, but if they don't their defense just hemorrhages opportunities.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Any league that punishes this is a Bad League.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Papercut posted:

I would hope Warriors management is much more concerned about the absolutely garbage rear end unforced turnovers that plague Curry's game more than Draymond's intensity. It absolutely boggles my mind that he's still doing this poo poo, I would've expected some of the veterans like Igoudala to step in by this point and be like cut the poo poo.

Keith Smart is that you?? I duno you kinda have to have that poo poo because it what makes the Warriors work sometimes. They like being flashy. Probably to their detriment at times.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Femur posted:

. Curry isn't chucking this year, and he and the Warriors are worse for it, because he is the greatest chucker the game has ever seen.

He is a great regular season player sure. The stink of his last finals performance* is bad tho. Keeps him out of the top tier all time for me.

I guess he can recover this year.

* the Warriors apologists "He as injured!" is really annoying.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

R.D. Mangles posted:

each NBA player should be allowed to have a mouthy 5'2" dude who sits courtside and taunts the other team for them

The Sixers had one back in the Iverson epoch.

https://twitter.com/lilgsixers/status/561338381456900096

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Curry had the best single season of any PG in NBA history last year so that keeps him in the all time discussion for me.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Libertine posted:

The Warriors seem worse this year and I don't really understand why. Even watching them they look decisively mortal. Obviously if they get two hot hands in their lineup anywhere they obliterate opponents from orbit, but if they don't their defense just hemorrhages opportunities.

Yeah, I think brolic called it early on, they're nowhere near the same team they were last year. They have more talent but they're less of a complete team. They just don't have a big who can do what Bogut did, because he was such a good passer and rim protector. Pachulia is looking diminished after that injury he had last year, and Javale is Javale. But we'll see during the playoffs what the 5 all stars lineup looks like on defense when durant is giving maximum effort.

As always they're troubled by teams that rebound the ball well and take advantage of their billion silly passes a game

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Libertine posted:

Did you see Currys body language in the 4th quarter? He was pouting the entire time.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They were arguably the best team of all time last year and they do look better this year even if they're not going to get 73 wins.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Libertine posted:

The warriors have higher offensive efficiency and a tick better defensively than last year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They were arguably the best team of all time last year and they do look better this year even if they're not going to get 73 wins.

Lol no. You have to win to be the Best Team of All Time. IF they were the best team of all time what does that make the team that beat them?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

They are already way below their win/loss pace from last year. There's almost no way they beat or even come close to their record.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

holy poo poo

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Libertine posted:

They are already way below their win/loss pace from last year. There's almost no way they beat or even come close to their record.
They're still on pace for 69 wins, which would be tied for the 3rd biggest total ever. Before yesterday they were on pace for 71.5. I don't think there's a real issue here.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Lol no. You have to win to be the Best Team of All Time. IF they were the best team of all time what does that make the team that beat them?

A team that beat them in one game without their defensive anchor and with 7 games of their best player playing hurt

Don't try to diminish history with dumb poo poo about ringz

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Anyone arguing that is real dumb.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Mr. F! posted:

Did you see Currys body language in the 4th quarter? He was pouting the entire time.

You could say he has The Shook

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

A team that beat them in one game without their defensive anchor and with 7 games of their best player playing hurt

The same "hurt" player who just put up similar numbers against them to what he did when he was "hurt"?

E2M2 posted:

You could say he has The Shook

Even after he made his three in the fourth quarter, he celebrated for a bit then just slumped his shoulders and trudged over to the bench.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

They're still on pace for 69 wins, which would be tied for the 3rd biggest total ever. Before yesterday they were on pace for 71.5. I don't think there's a real issue here.

nice

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

:siren: NBA INJURY UPDATE

Doug "The Pride of Nebraska" McDermott has injured his shin while leading the Bulls' heroic failed Christmas Comeback

Michael Carter-Williams has gloriously returned to Chicago Bulls, which, if you think about it, is sort of like they made a major trade, according to Front Office Sources

If you combined McDermott and MCW into one player, you would have a Competent Rotation Player

MCW is so bad Bucks fans love Snell

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Libertine posted:

They are really, really, really bad at rebounding. The Cavs completely controlled the glass that entire game and it's the reason they won.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dejan Bimble posted:

The '96 Bulls won the title and lost less games in the playoffs though.
87-13>88-18

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mr. F! posted:

The same "hurt" player who just put up similar numbers against them to what he did when he was "hurt"?

Even after he made his three in the fourth quarter, he celebrated for a bit then just slumped his shoulders and trudged over to the bench.

I don't want to get into this argument, watch the games, he wasn't playing like himself, he couldn't move laterally, he didn't get as much space on jumpers, he was hesitant to drive, and he was the engine of the team. If you want to argue he was in no way diminished and his injury did not affect the finals, good for you

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Libertine posted:

Curry 2016: 50.4% FG, 45.4% 3FG, 31.5 PER
Curry 2017: 46.6% FG, 39.9% 3FG, 23.8 PER

E: he's actually shook, for real

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Papercut posted:

Curry 2016: 50.4% FG, 45.4% 3FG, 31.5 PER
Curry 2017: 46.6% FG, 39.9% 3FG, 23.8 PER

E: he's actually shook, for real

Turns out Curry just couldn't keep up the pace of "Best player in NBA History"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Did you guys actually think steph would keep his historic shooting up?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Is Cavs-Warriors legit turning into a great rivalry before our eyes?

I don't so much get a Lakers-Celtics vibe, but it does feel like one of those 90's ones that made the NBA great back then.

The sheer hatred between the two sides. The mind games, and the talent seems to all play into a great series of games.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is Cavs-Warriors legit turning into a great rivalry before our eyes?

I don't so much get a Lakers-Celtics vibe, but it does feel like one of those 90's ones that made the NBA great back then.

The sheer hatred between the two sides. The mind games, and the talent seems to all play into a great series of games.

Boston fan insanity make Celtics Lakers special. Tho bay area fans are rapidly approaching Boston fans.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

:siren: NBA INJURY UPDATE

Doug "The Pride of Nebraska" McDermott has injured his shin while leading the Bulls' heroic failed Christmas Comeback

:lol:

R.D. Mangles posted:

really enjoyed the wade mic'd up segment of him literally coaching the team because hoiberg is completely and utterly lost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fpbviiHttE

Bulls players like to hold their hands up and run at LMA.

E2M2 posted:

Seriouslly I don't get how Richard Jefferson was phoning it in when he was on the Warriors then suddenly on the Cavs he's dunking on dudes and hitting 3s?

He's picking his spots because his overall stats aren't special.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Boy the Blazers sure are in full meltdown mode. 1-9 out of the last 10 with a bunch of blowouts.

They actually have a lot of good scoring on the team. Although being dead last in team DRtg will be their downfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Boston fan insanity make Celtics Lakers special. Tho bay area fans are rapidly approaching Boston fans.

Because Lakers fans are really reasonable, savvy sports fans?!?

• Locked thread