Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kragger99 posted:

I don't play "horror" games for the same reason, and made it through Dying Light while having a blast. The first few night falls are pretty intense (though you can just stay inside your safe house and not worry about it), but when you level up enough, and get decent weapons, it's fun to turn the "Hunters (as they're called I believe) into the hunted.
If you don't mind spoiling whet the Hunters look like, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Mo4GWZJP4

The game is much better in co-op, but can be played solo.

I hear ya bud.

Yeah this was a really helpful post, I'm gonna take the plunge :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Invisible, Inc. is 70% off right now and one of the best-designed games I have ever played. It manages to nail 'cyberpunk espionage' better than any game i have ever played. If you like turn-based tactics, stealth games, or have just read Neuromancer, I highly recommend buying it.

It's the PS+ game of the month so if you're a console person maybe do that. But either way play it.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Definitely go for some Dying Light if you have the money/time. I got it gifted by Kragger ages ago, but for various reasons I didn't have the specs to play it until recently. Finished the main game with fellow goon Untrustable some days ago and it was super awesome.

I reviewed it here:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/239140/

quote:

The apology for Dead Island we all wanted.

I got this gifted, and having just finished the main games' story and all the side missions, I can vouch for this being super amazing. Coop-ing with a friend, I've enjoyed slaughtering my way through zombies combined with neat parkouring. So many great moments, so many laughs. It also has a good mechanic for changing between single player story and playing it with someone, and from what I've heard you can actually play 4 people at a time. Any competitions are optional, as are plenty of side missions, which is a good thing as the game is letting you decide where and when to go anywhere you like.

Starting out can be tough, seeing you have no special skills to defeat the gnawing dead wanting you for their last supper. The games' brilliance, however, lies in letting you get points ALSO FOR RUNNING AWAY and AVOIDING danger, as well as combating enemies, so you always feel like you're winning and getting stronger by leveling up three different skill trees.

This helps greatly with any frustration you might experience when dying many times over. You always have the choice of just running away and you'll get better at running, climbing and parkouring the more you practice - as in PLAYER skill, not just character skill. So it's a win/win most of the time. The occasional slip from a ledge or grabbing hold of the wrong parkour point is only minor and doesn't in the slightest detract from a superb game.

Definitely worth your money and your time, this is one of the best and funniest game experiences I've had in a while. Get this and enjoy it alone or with friends - I guarantee super good times either way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Tempted by Dying Light with all the good descriptions, but here is a question: I thought the new edition was already the GOTY version with everything included - and the existence of dlc for it indicates otherwise. Is there any talk of a "ultimate" edition in the near future?

The new edition is the GOTY edition, AFAIK. It's just that due to the way they implemented it, they overwrote the old non-GOTY page with the new one. The DLC is there for the folks who still only own the base game.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
so Groupees has a Holiday Helpings 3 bundle right now that contains Bastard Bonds and Adam Wolfe all episodes in Tier 2 for 6eur; plus it's a portion-of-proceeds-for-charity bundle.
https://groupees.com/hh3

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Should I buy MoO(2016)? I mean, is it a solid and finished 4x or just sort of half there?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Eela6 posted:

Invisible, Inc. is 70% off right now and one of the best-designed games I have ever played. It manages to nail 'cyberpunk espionage' better than any game i have ever played. If you like turn-based tactics, stealth games, or have just read Neuromancer, I highly recommend buying it.

It's the PS+ game of the month so if you're a console person maybe do that. But either way play it.

Would you recommend the DLC with it, or is it more along the lines of extra content for somebody on their Nth playthrough?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Ugh you all really have me wanting Dying Light. I never realised it was THIS type of game. I'll have to wait for the next sale. I went a little nutso on Xmas for my little one and I've only got tenbux left in my steam wallet for the sale.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I'm picking up The Talos Principle because it looks entirely like my jam, is any of the dlc worth grabbing? It's so cheap right now.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Can anyone recommend any Tower Defense games? I've been in a weird mood for playing them lately and the Sanctum games never did anything for me.

I'd recommend Dungeon Warfare! I've been playing it on my phone and it seems perfectly designed for it, you can probably get it off the App Store for cheaper than Steam. It's got simplistic graphics but everything is clear and easy to distinguish, I think the style works perfectly. Plus the later levels get pretty hectic so the simple graphics keep everything flowing smoothly.

There are a host of traps and a good amount of levels, some are tricky but if you come back with a different trap later you can make short work of them. There's no plot to speak of, just killing heroes.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Adel posted:

I'm picking up The Talos Principle because it looks entirely like my jam, is any of the dlc worth grabbing? It's so cheap right now.

Road to Gehenna is a must-buy, and the story's even better than in the main game, imo. Just remember that it's meant to be played after you complete the base game.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

strategery posted:

Project CARS is probably your best bet. Cant say anything about the two you mentioned though.

I tried Project CARS on the PS4 and found it far too dull. I gave in and bought both Assetto Corsa and DiRT Rally. Hopefully I'll have a good feel for them before the refund period is up.

Now to sort through every turn based game I dont have and see whats worth playing.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I finally bought Devil May Cry 4 and they completely ruined it by having Jump and Dodge bound to the same button. Even without that it's so awkward and slow to do anything it made me reel, it didn't feel anything like the DmC I remember.

It's been years since I played it, but I had to go and install DmC3 just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and sure enough, you flick the stick in the direction you want to dodge and push the dodge button and thats what happens. Snappy butter smooth combat even with hosed up keybinds.

Also it crashed like 3 times in the half hour I played it.

The fastest I ever requested a refund.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Monomythian posted:

I finally bought Devil May Cry 4 and they completely ruined it by having Jump and Dodge bound to the same button. Even without that it's so awkward and slow to do anything it made me reel, it didn't feel anything like the DmC I remember.

It's been years since I played it, but I had to go and install DmC3 just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and sure enough, you flick the stick in the direction you want to dodge and push the dodge button and thats what happens. Snappy butter smooth combat even with hosed up keybinds.

Also it crashed like 3 times in the half hour I played it.

The fastest I ever requested a refund.

Dodge in DMC games has always been lock+direction+jump. The only times when you have a dedicated dodge button is when using the Trickster style.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

dmboogie posted:

Road to Gehenna is a must-buy, and the story's even better than in the main game, imo. Just remember that it's meant to be played after you complete the base game.

Added to my cart, thanks! If I love it I'll get the other dlc during the next sale.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Awesome! posted:

i prefer the pinball in pinball arcade but jesus am i sick of farsight the company. every patch introduces new bugs while old ones remain

its to the point where i cant really bring myself to recommend people give them money anymore

For a while I would've recommended Zaccaria Pinball but its devs are even worse than Farsight. They ran their own game into the ground with a physics patch that "fixed" physics that weren't broken and made them laughably bad, and also introduced choppy framerates and flippers that were misaligned on certain tables. Every single patch after that failed to fix the issue and everybody is complaining about it but nothing is being done.

They became worse than Farsight within a few months of release, and their game isn't even out of Early Access yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Making choices is hard.

Shadow Warrior is most likely to get cut. Followed by Witcher 3 (despite all the praise, I find myself surprisingly apathetic towards it, in fact its only here because people gush about it so much). Honestly I've got reasons to cut them all. Maybe I should and just be fiscally responsible. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Shadow Warrior is most likely to get cut. Followed by Witcher 3 (despite all the praise, I find myself surprisingly apathetic towards it, in fact its only here because people gush about it so much). Honestly I've got reasons to cut them all. Maybe I should and just be fiscally responsible. :v:

Do you really want to spend 30$ on something you don't really care about? Especially if it's going to take a large time investment...

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honestly I've got reasons to cut them all. Maybe I should and just be fiscally responsible. :v:
Or just buy one and play that? Why spend 130 dollars on games. Jesus.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 27, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wasn't going to buy them all. I guess I should've just outright said "hey which of these are the best" instead of implying it. :shrug:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Hopper posted:

I have been eyeing Dying light a while ago before it came out, but I can't see or buy it in Germany. Isthereanydeal tells me the something called "Dying light The following enhanced edition" for 20€. Is that the version to buy?

And, would I be able to play it in Germany?
edit: apparently I can install it if it is the EU version

Where are you getting that version from? I don't even see it in the store.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe I should and just be fiscally responsible. :v:

Get 'im, boys!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Making choices is hard.

That's a hard choice as I really dig all those games.
Witcher 3 will get you the most game but the combat system is still not great.
SW2 is a delightful eyegasm but it's pretty shallow.
Division is fun if you like modern shootymans. I personally would have liked it more if it leaned more into the sci-fi aspects.
Tomb Raider is excellent overall.
Dying Light, as we've all said, is REALLY loving good.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Inzombiac posted:

SW2 is ... delightful

All that really needs to be said. I only just started it today and I've barely scratched the surface, but it feels like the first game but better so far. Still not nearly as good as DOOM though.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

C.M. Kruger posted:

Would you recommend the DLC with it {Invisible, Inc.} , or is it more along the lines of extra content for somebody on their Nth playthrough?

It's the latter, I suppose. It's great DLC, but for your first couple runs you'd probably want to have it turned off anyways so you can get to grips with the core mechanics of the game.

Give the base game a shot and see how you feel.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 27, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Making choices is hard.

I just got done playing Rise and I thought it was just Alright. Outside of a few interesting ideas (that unfortunately don't really go anywhere) and the fact that they remembered to actually put tombs in this time, it actually felt weaker than its predecessor in places. Though FWIW, I also thought the first game was enjoyable but also the most non-descript, average AAA game I've ever played, so YMMV.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My turn for a list: I'm definitely getting Death Road to Canada and Ori and the Blind Forest in a few days, but I'm unsure about anything else on my list. The House in Fata Morgana/The Silver Case are definitely yeses, but I'm not sure if I want to dig into long visual novels at the mo, so I'll probably save them for later...

Which leaves things like:
Oneshot
Pankapu
Soulcaster I+II
Escape Goat 2
Stray Cat Crossing
Why Am I Dead At Sea?
Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire.

Any opinions on any of those? I'm wary of "why am I dead at sea" due to how the dev has completely abandoned it - no more bugfixes, and it seems buggy.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any good bang for your buck recommendations? I was thinking a long-ish game in the vein of RPGs/strategy/roguelikes and about 5~10 dollars on price.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 27, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any good bang for your buck recommendations? I was thinking something in the vein of RPGs/strategy/roguelikes and about 5~10 dollars on price.

LiEat is 2$, short, and cute.

Shadowrun RPG bundle - 2$ for three good rpgs, including Dragonfall. The best value here.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. 10$, long, wordy, a charming jrpg.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sorry for the double-post, bringing in an effortpost on Roguelikes. The prices are all accurate, haha!

Roguelikes

Bionic Dues is down to 2.29$, and it's Arcen's weird unpolished game where you swap out different robots as you fight other robots. Worth a gander but you won't love it.

Caves of Qud is at 8.99$ and that's as cheap as it's getting. Buy it! You all know the refrain by now, it's the classic post-apocalyptic mutant exploration game where you die to turrets, giant angry bears, and angry NPCs!

Crypt of the Necrodancer! 3.74$ for a beautifully designed roguelike where you dance as you kill your foes - it's wonderful, even if you have a bad sense of rhythm as I do. I also hear there's an expansion pack in the works!

Desktop Dungeons is 7.49$, and well - do you like having your brain fried as you try to solve puzzles? It's fascinating and difficult and elegant. *Do not get the goatperson DLC, I hear that class is an utter pain to play as, and only for advanced users.

Dungeonmans! Do you like fun? I like fun. It's 7.49$ for a pure dungeoncrawling experience. No funny plot to slow you down, no weird mutations to pick from, just a straightforward (yet cool) set of skills, your weaponry, and ever-more-powerful bees to kill. Good times.

Dungeons of Dredmor, a clunky classic for 2.49$. It's funny, its skill-tree hasn't been duplicated by anyone else yet, and it brought roguelikes to the mainstream. I also here there's a tiny tiny chance it might be getting a new patch or something? Fingers crossed!

One Way Heroics for 1.74$ (Add Plus edition for 1.94$!) - A weird yet cool game where you race across the kingdom to kill the Overlord before his creeping darkness swallows up everything. Plus Edition adds a TON of content and refinements to the game. There's an expensive remake that I'd pass on unless you really, really must have more of this game, too.

Sproggiwood. 4.49$ - no time for dungeon diving? New to the genre? This is the holy grail of accessible roguelikes. It's fun to play, cute to look at, and surprisingly vicious. Savage mode is no joke. Play it, and learn to hate twinned monsters!

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. For 1.81$..... you could do better. I'm sorry, but this game is terrible and I don't like it. It's one of the few sci-fi roguelikes, but DoomRL is free. Please play DoomRL instead.

ToME, one of the biggest roguelikes out there - listen. It's free at its website. What you are buying on steam is the upgraded fancy version. Worth it - I mean it's 3.49$ - but please go play the free version first. This game can be very offputting if you're not ready for it.

And then we get things I don't class as roguelikes in my steam library because I'm a nerd, but hey, they're good anyways!

FTL, THE game to play if you want to be captain kirk. Not a fan of the final boss, but you owe it to yourself to play at least one or two games of this. 2.99$

Spelunky is 2.99$ and it's the Indiana Jones experience. I mean I don't need to sell this one do I? Everyone knows it.

The absolute best things on this list are Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, and Crypt of the Necromancer - and the best bargain is DoomRL, as it's free! Get these four, have a blast!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

StrixNebulosa posted:

The absolute best things on this list are Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, and Crypt of the Necromancer - and the best bargain is DoomRL, as it's free! Get these four, have a blast!

This is a true statement, but didn't DoomRL get ripped and torn by bethesda?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Doom or Dying Light in terms of replayability?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think he just moved it

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Alright, you fuckers convinced me to buy Dying Light. Holding you all personally responsible if this isn't the sweet Zombie Jesus of games.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HPanda posted:

Alright, you fuckers convinced me to buy Dying Light. Holding you all personally responsible if this isn't the sweet Zombie Jesus of games.

add me on steam, I'm only a few hours in but could easily start over and co-op it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ilmucche posted:

This is a true statement, but didn't DoomRL get ripped and torn by bethesda?

Zenimax did make them change the name, but :toot: it's still up! DoomRL for all of your ripping and tearing needs.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Dying Light worth it if I just plan to solo it?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

add me on steam, I'm only a few hours in but could easily start over and co-op it.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm the flakiest of flakes when it comes to co-op. With small children, my game time is mostly limited to late at night and how much sleep disorder keeps me up. I tend to do best with random drop-in and always feel guilty for no showing or bailing randomly.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

succ posted:

Dying Light worth it if I just plan to solo it?

Yeah. It's definitely a lot of fun co-op, but the solo experience is completely enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hey this may be more of a worthwhile in the Witcher thread but I was going to ask.

Is the Witcher 3 really as good as people make it out to be? It seems to have rave reviews on Steam but as someone who has never touched a Witcher game, is it really that good? Gameplay wise is there any game that you can compare it to, mechanically?

• Locked thread