Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
http://www.lotro.com/en/lotrostoresale

Bonus points on LOTRO points are doubled, 75% off all expansion packs again, and for the weekend +25% EXP for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I was bored so I took 30 minutes and made a spreadsheet just to see how much some things actually cost.

I mean, we all know they obfuscate the price to get people to overspend, but it's multiple levels. You got points-per-penny, which of course changes per the bundle size, then mithril coins, which also changes depending on how much you buy, so you get a matrix of it plus potential point costs, then you have to compare point-cost-per-thing which is a matrix with mithril-coin-cost-per-thing which is of course a double matrix since coins come in different packs.

Just too much data for a spreadsheet, hah. Tempted to write up a quick webapp to make the data digestable. Not that I've ever really used points for anything other than quest packs / vault space, but I don't mind throwing some money at a game I play. And I need a ton of legacy tier upgrades and legendary item stat upgrades.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
I just started playing this game and man it's beautiful. The lore is really good too! The only thing I absolutely hate is the UI... Is there any way to make it look less outdated? I know of add ons but most of them just keep the same old ugly style.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Flumbooze posted:

I just started playing this game and man it's beautiful. The lore is really good too! The only thing I absolutely hate is the UI... Is there any way to make it look less outdated? I know of add ons but most of them just keep the same old ugly style.

There are like 50 free UI skins I believe the site is called LoTRO Interface? And remember to press Ctrl + \ to customize anything on the interface, then press it again to lock it.

xZAOx posted:

I was bored so I took 30 minutes and made a spreadsheet just to see how much some things actually cost.
Just too much data for a spreadsheet, hah. Tempted to write up a quick webapp to make the data digestable. Not that I've ever really used points for anything other than quest packs / vault space, but I don't mind throwing some money at a game I play. And I need a ton of legacy tier upgrades and legendary item stat upgrades.

Please convert all the data into emojis so within a half a glance we can all know what is good, and what is bad. Why have your LIs maxed if you don't play enough to loot the items that max them anyway? Unless you've got friends inviting you to a raid and it starts in two days I can't justify scenarios where you pay to make an overpowered weapon more overpowered.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 22, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

extra stout posted:

Please convert all the data into emojis so within a half a glance we can all know what is good, and what is bad. Why have your LIs maxed if you don't play enough to loot the items that max them anyway? Unless you've got friends inviting you to a raid and it starts in two days I can't justify scenarios where you pay to make an overpowered weapon more overpowered.

Because I like MMOs and I like making numbers go up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

http://www.lotro.com/en/lotrostoresale

Bonus points on LOTRO points are doubled

Wait so $20 only gets me 1,550 points or because it's doubled I'd get 3,100? Because the latter is worth doing, I don't know about the former.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wait so $20 only gets me 1,550 points or because it's doubled I'd get 3,100? Because the latter is worth doing, I don't know about the former.

Neither. I have no idea where you got any of those numbers, lol. $20 currently gets you 1950. Normally it'd get you 1600. Only the "bonus points" are doubled. Bonus points - yet another bit of misdirection on their pricing, heh.

http://www.lotro.com/en/buy-lotro-points

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

xZAOx posted:

Neither. I have no idea where you got any of those numbers, lol. $20 currently gets you 1950. Normally it'd get you 1600. Only the "bonus points" are doubled. Bonus points - yet another bit of misdirection on their pricing, heh.

http://www.lotro.com/en/buy-lotro-points

1950 doesn't seem like much, that's like what, 3 regions give or take? I got those numbers off of that previous link and clicking on buy TP or something or another.

Thanks.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

100YrsofAttitude posted:

1950 doesn't seem like much, that's like what, 3 regions give or take? I got those numbers off of that previous link and clicking on buy TP or something or another.

Thanks.

Quest packs are like 695-1995 (granted, that's the one with the raid), but most are 695-795 I believe (been a while since I bought all those), so yeah, a little under 3 I think.

That said - $20 for 3 quest packs is a fair price for the content IMO, since the landscape stuff is the best part of the game to me. That's the part of Lotro's F2P model I like.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

xZAOx posted:

Quest packs are like 695-1995 (granted, that's the one with the raid), but most are 695-795 I believe (been a while since I bought all those), so yeah, a little under 3 I think.

That said - $20 for 3 quest packs is a fair price for the content IMO, since the landscape stuff is the best part of the game to me. That's the part of Lotro's F2P model I like.

That's right there was the one with the raid. I'll probably pick it up then. I think I'm missing a region or two.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

xZAOx posted:

I just don't see old MMOs ever really growing. I could be wrong, but I think it's an uphill battle, with new games coming out all the time. It might be a turn off, but I don't think anyone thinks "I want to play this almost 10 year old game" and things like character models really influencing if they stick around.

LOTRO of all the alternatives should have a reasonable chance, because it has that unique built-in captive market of LOTR nerds like me.

It's like how a Harry Potter MMO, no matter how dogshit the UI and gameplay, would have a natural minimum playerbase forever.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

xiw posted:

LOTRO of all the alternatives should have a reasonable chance, because it has that unique built-in captive market of LOTR nerds like me.

It's like how a Harry Potter MMO, no matter how dogshit the UI and gameplay, would have a natural minimum playerbase forever.

I'm inclined to agree, but then I think about Star Wars: Galaxies and now Star Wars: The Old Republic. Neither exactly known for keeping a steady bustling playerbase.

That said - I think Mordor is going to be pretty big news for the game. I could see wanting to spruce up character models for a probable influx of returning and maybe even some new players when that hits.

Although I suspect most new players, if they even get to end-game (or maybe LOTRO introduces a cheaper way to get there, or something like how WoW gives you a free boost with expacs now so you can start right into the new content), I think the end-game grind combined with how much you can just buy your way through it would be a pretty big turnoff.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Coming to LOTRO (or back to LOTRO, in my case) after playing any even slightly-more-recent game is a bit of a shock in terms of the character models. I can absolutely see it turning off players before they get immersed enough to stay. War-steed problems don't hit until a player's well-invested, and it's an irritant but I would expect that in terms of actual dealbreakers, the muddy-looking characters are a much more pressing problem.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Zomg guys. I noticed the other day that the official forums got some new features. Since then, I haven't had to relog in every 5 seconds!

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

bombhand posted:

Coming to LOTRO (or back to LOTRO, in my case) after playing any even slightly-more-recent game is a bit of a shock in terms of the character models. I can absolutely see it turning off players before they get immersed enough to stay. War-steed problems don't hit until a player's well-invested, and it's an irritant but I would expect that in terms of actual dealbreakers, the muddy-looking characters are a much more pressing problem.

Eh, Warcraft picks up new players and their models look even worse, even the updated ones. I think most people going into a game that's 9+ years old are expecting some aged graphics.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I haven't played this in over a year...is it worth coming back? The idea of Gondor and Minas Tirith sounds awesome and I'd like to see how the epic story plays now. I stopped playing just after Warsteed combat became a thing, if that helps.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 28, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alter Ego posted:

I haven't played this in over a year...is it worth coming back? The idea of Gondor and Minas Tirith sounds awesome and I'd like to see how the epic story plays now. I stopped playing just after Warsteed combat became a thing, if that helps.

The Epic story dives off a cliff after Warsteed combat starts.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

The Epic story dives off a cliff after Warsteed combat starts.

It's perfect throughout Gondor and you'll never know just how perfect

Alter Ego posted:

It is the best online video game that exists, welcome back. You should probably check your account and see what content you're missing, but there's a good chance the one safe purchase you want to make before the sale is over is the Helm's Deep expansion pack is $10 on the lotro.com 'market' section of the store.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

extra stout posted:

It's perfect throughout Gondor and you'll never know just how perfect

It is the best online video game that exists, welcome back. You should probably check your account and see what content you're missing, but there's a good chance the one safe purchase you want to make before the sale is over is the Helm's Deep expansion pack is $10 on the lotro.com 'market' section of the store.

What about classes? I want to start something new but I'm not sure what's fun to play anymore. I mained a Hunter way, way back, and that was pretty good, but I don't want to play the same class again. I tried Warden a long time ago, but I just didn't do enough damage. Everything was a slog.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 28, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Alter Ego posted:

What about classes? I want to start something new but I'm not sure what's fun to play anymore. I mained a Hunter way, way back, and that was pretty good, but I don't want to play the same class again. I tried Warden a long time ago, but I just didn't do enough damage. Everything was a slog.

There are a lot of them and they play differently in leveling / pvp / the end game so we all vaguely agree on a few things but beyond that a lot of it is your play style and if you'll actually make it to level 105. I really like the beorning class but you have to buy it and some people are annoyed by the toggling back and forth between forms, champion is the melee equivalent of a hunter, and a runekeeper (specifically fire RK) is the strongest DPS in the game right now but that's also a premium class for those who bought the Moria expansion pack or unlock it separately.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

CreedThoughts posted:

Eh, Warcraft picks up new players and their models look even worse, even the updated ones. I think most people going into a game that's 9+ years old are expecting some aged graphics.

In what way? Sure, it's a different style but they definitely don't look worse.

The main reason I can't play this game is because of animations and the horrible UI. I hope that at some point they'll do an overhaul.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Flumbooze posted:

Strongly disagree here. Tried WoW a few months ago and was really struck by the ugliness of the graphics. (It was the need to fiddle with addons to do something as simple as moving windows around that really turned me off, though; I've been astonished how few other MMOs seem to have the equivalent of LOTRO's Ctrl-\ )

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

Strongly disagree here. Tried WoW a few months ago and was really struck by the ugliness of the graphics. (It was the need to fiddle with addons to do something as simple as moving windows around that really turned me off, though; I've been astonished how few other MMOs seem to have the equivalent of LOTRO's Ctrl-\ )

Oh yes, the classic zones are extremely ugly but when you get in to more recent zones (expansion), the game gets prettier and prettier. You'd have to look at the later expansion to really judge it in my opinion.

And yes, WoW is very addon dependent. Luckily, the addons are well supported (and Curse is so easy) so in the end, it's not really an issue (and actually an advantage, almost everything is customizable).

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

jalapeno_dude posted:

Wait, that sounds more like UI, not graphics. Sure, WoW's UI is kinda garbage. But in terms of models, environments, animations, effects, etc., (what I assume people generally mean when they talk graphics) it's probably the prettiest it's ever been. One of the new zones (Stormheim, for reference/context) I feel has even raised the bar for the genre's graphics in general.

LOTRO has great environments; everything else...well, could use some love. The animations these days, at least on warden, haven't really aged well. They kind of remind me of stop-motion with an artist's posable marionette. If LOTRO can bring the models/effects/animations up to the standards of its environments it will look more crafted and less cobbled-together, and at the end of the day, presentation counts.

tl,dr(?): When your competitors are taking the time and effort to make those kinds of upgrades in their products it gets harder to justify not doing so in yours, I think.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Flumbooze posted:

The main reason I can't play this game is because of animations and the horrible UI. I hope that at some point they'll do an overhaul.

I gotta agree this is a bad post: Ctrl + \ is way easier than any addons from any company including Curse, and if you want to further customize things you can (even more quickly than using Curse on WoW) download 50 interfaces you can toggle between in LoTRO.

Not liking the animations is fine and up to you, but the UI claims are less subjective.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

From the frontpage.

CTS makes me laugh. I don't recognize most of these unfortunately. Probably from classes I haven't played.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
In as Audrisgard, lady Champ from Gondor. If someone could send me an invite, I'd be most grateful.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Arch tried to invite you but you weren't out of the beginner area yet. Added you to my friends list so if you log in while I'm on I'll see it and send an invite.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

100YrsofAttitude posted:

From the frontpage.

CTS makes me laugh. I don't recognize most of these unfortunately. Probably from classes I haven't played.

At least one of the icons I remember was a very low rez photo of a Games Workshop miniature.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

extra stout posted:

I gotta agree this is a bad post: Ctrl + \ is way easier than any addons from any company including Curse, and if you want to further customize things you can (even more quickly than using Curse on WoW) download 50 interfaces you can toggle between in LoTRO.

Not liking the animations is fine and up to you, but the UI claims are less subjective.

Oh no, I agree that's way easier. The thing is, no matter what skin you install, the UI looks pretty outdated (and the base UI of WoW is still more accessible.)

I don't think the UI is the biggest issue though, it's only another part of several things that (might) turn new players like me off. Basically, Trebuchet King said what I'm trying to say in a much better way than me:

quote:

tl,dr(?): When your competitors are taking the time and effort to make those kinds of upgrades in their products it gets harder to justify not doing so in yours, I think.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

bombhand posted:

Arch tried to invite you but you weren't out of the beginner area yet. Added you to my friends list so if you log in while I'm on I'll see it and send an invite.

If you're Dragonwort, thanks for the help. Got in just fine.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Does anyone have a link to an up-to-date guide to weapon imbuing?

Googling is bringing back results that are pretty old and keep saying things like "this isn't finalised yet".

I'm closing in on level 100 (yay Frostbluff quests) and want to know things like how many star-lit crystals I should splurge my tokens on.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

As someone considering playing again who hasn't been around for about a year, I thought this article was a nice assessment of everything going on in LOTRO in 2016, and a look ahead as well. I had no idea a full-length expansion was planned for next spring, for example. I've been wondering how they would do Mordor ever since I played in the beta, a mind-melting 10 years ago. Christ, where has all that time gone?

http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/10/how-2016-took-lord-of-the-rings-online-to-the-gates-of-mordor/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Clarence posted:

Googling is bringing back results that are pretty old and keep saying things like "this isn't finalised yet".

I'm closing in on level 100 (yay Frostbluff quests) and want to know things like how many star-lit crystals I should splurge my tokens on.

At least 6? The better answer is probably "all of them" though. Assuming you can sell/trade the ones those tokens give you. I've logged in a bit to run the events for tokens to get crystals but I don't even remember what I was working on for my captain's lvl 100 LI, I just know I was trying to prep it for conversion but I don't recall what all I wanted to get and put in it first.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Clarence posted:

Try here. Also, see the legacy indices as legacies may change post imbuement.

You'll probably want at least 19 starlits. I believe the current max rank for the default legacy/DPS legacy is 43.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Thanks.

Real-edit : is there anything else relevant to imbuing that winter festival tokens should be exchanged for? (Having said that, I'm so out of touch I don't remember whether they're just generic festival tokens or not!)

Clarence fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 31, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Clarence posted:

Thanks.

Real-edit : is there anything else relevant to imbuing that winter festival tokens should be exchanged for? (Having said that, I'm so out of touch I don't remember whether they're just generic festival tokens or not!)

If you barter for 19 starlit crystals and need something else to do your task will be to accept your award for person who got the most yule loot in the history of time

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Warden question--playing an elf, trying to get my momentum back up in Rise of Isengard. Do I want a sword or spear for my mainhand LI?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Trebuchet King posted:

Warden question--playing an elf, trying to get my momentum back up in Rise of Isengard. Do I want a sword or spear for my mainhand LI?

Always sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sassassin posted:

Always sword.

What about a 2H captain? Swords again, or halberds? Or something else?