Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

phthalocyanine posted:

I was bored so i made this glib and handy flowchart, for every pubbie symmetra I run into that hasn't figured this out yet

I'm sharing this with my friends who still prefer the teleporter in most situations. It's pretty frustrating.

They also think Ana's a Zen-style secondary healer, and the only "real" healers are Lucio and Mercy. It can be rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

So I do this thing where I main Sym to get diamond, then I drop back down to gold playing regular, balanced heroes. It took a month to peak last season, just a week this time.

You have no idea how much poo poo I got for placing the generator instead of the TP. People didn't even hunt down the gen before I hit the high 2900s.

The playerbase adapts at the speed of tectonic plates.

I wonder if some people don't even realise symmetra got a new ultimate

I mean if you play the game casually/don't watch the developer update videos or whatever how would you know

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe if they got pros to write them but I have a sinking feeling Blizzard would want to write them themselves and they'd be full of misinformation -- if not immediately, then after a patch or two.

Like, think about how many iterations it took for suggested item/skill builds for MOBAs to become sort of useful instead of newbie traps, and that's something way more concrete and granular than "how do I play this hero well?"

Hots doesn't even have hero tutorials for anyone other than Raynor, who is practically 76 as far as complexity goes, and that game needs it more than any other of their games. Blizzard are bad at explaining poo poo.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i've never had a problem with torb as tracer. if they have team support then yeah, not a good scene, but most torbs isolate themselves and their turrets. if you can't take them down with a dive/recall/dive then you can usually at least build a quick ult which does the trick anyway. it does depend on the map though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you don't need a big tutorial on the way to play a hero (especially not when that's subject to change by the meta), but a full explanation of the mechanics behind the character would be great. like going back to the mei wall thing, the game doesn't say you can do that anywhere and it'd be nice if it did. I don't need you to tell me why I should be doing something, but I would like to know how to do it

they should really expand the training mode imo

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Another one would be Biotic Rifle. Does it stack or not??? I still don't even know but I rarely play Ana

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Donnerberg posted:

So I do this thing where I main Sym to get diamond, then I drop back down to gold playing regular, balanced heroes. It took a month to peak last season, just a week this time.

You have no idea how much poo poo I got for placing the generator instead of the TP. People didn't even hunt down the gen before I hit the high 2900s.

The playerbase adapts at the speed of tectonic plates.

Yeah. When I place a teleporter a Reaper wounds the corner, shoots me and shoots it. When I place a generator people run right past the thing and ignore it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Seagull streams a lot of Mei and his videos aren't bad to watch to get a good idea of what good Mei play looks like. In particular he spends a lot of time hanging out around chokes waiting for someone to advance through them before using the wall to separate them from their team, everybody collapses onto that guy, and then it's a 6v5 in your favor. He uses the icicle way more than the M1 spray though he DOES use it in circumstances where he can't reliably one-shot someone or someone gets up in his grill. And then of course he tosses his ult into teamfights, rinse repeat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A couple of quick Sombra Q's, looking them up myself gave conflicting info. Does her hack interrupt abilities (namely ults) or just prevent new ones from being activated? And can she hack multiple objects at a time?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

A couple of quick Sombra Q's, looking them up myself gave conflicting info. Does her hack interrupt abilities (namely ults) or just prevent new ones from being activated? And can she hack multiple objects at a time?

Hacking and ulting people as Sombra will stop new activations, but only shuts down certain active ults. It's the same ones that McCree's flashbang stops.

Ults Sombra can stop: Pharah, McCree, Road Hog, Reaper

Ults she can't stop: Genji, Soldier, Bastion, Junkrat, Mei, Torbjörn, Winston and Zenyatta.

Rein and Lucio's ults can be stopped if you hack them before they hit the ground. Also, Lucio's barrier gets deleted by Sombra's ult.

She can hack multiple medpacks and people with the ult, but the hack ability is single target.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 27, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

Sombra's hack/EMP will interrupt and shut down "channeled" ults like Roadhog's and McCree's but doesn't stop ults that simply apply a new mode of sorts to the character in question like Bastion's or Soldier's. I haven't tested it against Pharah or Reaper, I would assume it interrupts them, but it isn't always entirely clear.

As to the second question this one is much simpler; yes, you can have multiple hacked things at once. You can hack as many health packs as you want between cooldowns as well as enemy heroes in there too, one hack doesn't "override" the previous.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Be aware destroying a hacked D.va's mech allows her to vengeance nuke anyway. Not something you want to figure out during play, haha. It's probably the only way short of dying and getting rezzed to get around the 6 second ult disable.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Anyone up for some games on PS4? Competitive, quick, 6v6 mystery, whatever.

PSN: Unicoooorns

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Pyzza Rouge posted:

Be aware destroying a hacked D.va's mech allows her to vengeance nuke anyway. Not something you want to figure out during play, haha. It's probably the only way short of dying and getting rezzed to get around the 6 second ult disable.

I think I've stopped D.Va nukes, but I don't play D.Va so I could have misunderstood. Here's what I think is happening.

D.Va gets hacked, she dies, the hack expires during her eject animation and she gets to nuke anyway. Her eject lasts several seconds, so the hack needs to land just before she dies to deny it.

Furthermore. The gremlin can be stopped from summoning a new mech if she's hacked before activation, but she can't be interupted when it's coming down. This is one place where Sombra differs from Hog and McCree, who I think can interrupt a mech calldown.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 27, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Nah, you can nuke during the death animation no matter what, because for a very few frames you're still in control of the mech but it's a different "player" that doesn't have any debuffs or anything.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Do people play tanks ever? I LOVE Reinhardt, I have the most time spent playing as him, but that's mostly due to the fact that everyone loads up Genji, Hanzo, Reaper, Mei, etc. which leaves the group with no healer or tank. I get into a few groups with a D.Va occasionally which means I have to pick Lucio since everyone else goes DPS. Just once I'd like to try a damage hero and get good at someone other that Reinhardt.

Thanks for listening

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Nah, you can nuke during the death animation no matter what, because for a very few frames you're still in control of the mech but it's a different "player" that doesn't have any debuffs or anything.

Oh, I see. The guys I thought I stopped must have been saving it then or just been confused themselves.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

flirty dental hygienist posted:

Do people play tanks ever? I LOVE Reinhardt, I have the most time spent playing as him, but that's mostly due to the fact that everyone loads up Genji, Hanzo, Reaper, Mei, etc. which leaves the group with no healer or tank. I get into a few groups with a D.Va occasionally which means I have to pick Lucio since everyone else goes DPS. Just once I'd like to try a damage hero and get good at someone other that Reinhardt.

Thanks for listening
I tried maining Reinhardt this season, realized I suck, then went back to instalocking D.Va.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Do people play tanks ever?

I'm guessing this is coming from quickplay because the current state of competitive balance is such that triple or even quad tanks is far more common than seeing comps that use even two DPS heroes.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Kai Tave posted:

I'm guessing this is coming from quickplay because the current state of competitive balance is such that triple or even quad tanks is far more common than seeing comps that use even two DPS heroes.

Yeah, quickplay. I don't think I'll ever be competitive. I did play against a couple teams that had D.Va, Zarya, and Reinhardt with a Mercy healer. I think Pharah and either Reaper or Junkrat rounded out the group. Those were fun fights and were pretty close.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

5 on the payload with 10 meters to go? Down 4? No problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW9cbl-ga_A

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Yeah, quickplay. I don't think I'll ever be competitive. I did play against a couple teams that had D.Va, Zarya, and Reinhardt with a Mercy healer. I think Pharah and either Reaper or Junkrat rounded out the group. Those were fun fights and were pretty close.

The thing about quickplay is you can't go in getting pissed about comp and really wanting to win damnit because quickplay is where people go to play what they want to play without getting bitched at by five other people in voicechat. The key to enlightenment is to embrace this attitude and play what YOU want. You don't want to tank? Slampick your DPS of choice. If the other random strangers you're playing with decide suddenly that winning is super important to them all at once then one of them can switch. I've lost track of the number of quickplay games I've been one where the team doesn't even have a healer let alone a balanced comp. You've just gotta roll with it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What happens if you physically run into an enemy player as an invisible Sombra? What triggers the DETECTED warning and what does it look like to other players?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

You decloak if you physically bump an enemy player. If you're detected that means either Hanzo's sonic arrow or Widow's infravision has overridden your invisibility.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

You decloak if you physically bump an enemy player. If you're detected that means either Hanzo's sonic arrow or Widow's infravision has overridden your invisibility.

You don't DECLOAK decloak from.bumping someone, you just give off the Predator shimmer or something like that. You can jump on the red team's heads if you want and it won't break your stealth but they WILL know you're around and be able to shoot you to break it for real.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thanks for listening

In addition to what Kai Tave and others said about pro games, even just on ladder, above a certain MMR there is a D. Va and a Reinhardt on every team, every game (except occasionally not on yours, those are always fun ones) and it suuuuuuuucks.

I miss the days when the flex slot in competitive overwatch teams was for a tank or a third DPS.

(Of course in lower-ranked games people still play like this, but it doesn't really work against anyone who knows better... plus you just know that lone tank isn't going to be Reinhardt, it's gonna be a loving Roadhog or something.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm genuinely a little shocked that D.Va hasn't been kicked in the rear yet. She's one of the most obnoxious characters in the game to try to play against, especially given the lack of visual clarity her barrier has compared to either Winston or Reinhardt.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe if they got pros to write them but I have a sinking feeling Blizzard would want to write them themselves and they'd be full of misinformation -- if not immediately, then after a patch or two.

Like, think about how many iterations it took for suggested item/skill builds for MOBAs to become sort of useful instead of newbie traps, and that's something way more concrete and granular than "how do I play this hero well?"

I think Blizzard devs can handle explanations such as "Mei's wall can be canceled by pressing the button again" or "Lucio's wallride does not chain on the same surface" since we're talking about basic mechanics and not 50ms animation canceling and optimal strategy.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Vermain posted:

I'm genuinely a little shocked that D.Va hasn't been kicked in the rear yet. She's one of the most obnoxious characters in the game to try to play against, especially given the lack of visual clarity her barrier has compared to either Winston or Reinhardt.

I think they spent a lot of time and effort pumping her up so it's going to be a bit before they lower her back down

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Any day now, amirite?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

D.va is bae.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I...
Enjoy Sombra.

I am a disgusting creature. I know.

The half second delay after her invisibility is probably my biggest gripe with her but that's about it.

I love torturing Roadhogs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Vermain posted:

Until this latest patch D.Va has consistently been an F-tier to D-tier pick at best at pretty much all skilled levels of play, and the majority of her usage in that context tended to be last minute stalling where the defenders wanted to throw 500 hitpoints onto the point in order to try and keep overtime going while their team respawned. In other words, this is the first time in the game's existence that D.Va hasn't been a Junkrat-tier choice.

"This character is obnoxious to play against" is kind of a bad metric to base whether something is overpowered or not because anything can be obnoxious. Bastion and Torb can be obnoxious, they sure don't need nerfs. I would argue that Genji is probably in the worst place he's been at the moment due to a combination of his own nerfs along with the global ult charge change which means he's the DPS that requires the most skill and effort to get about the same effect you could get much easier playing Tracer or McCree or even Soldier, but you'll still find people raging about weeb ninjas and their OP bullshit. I strongly suspect that you could nerf D.Va into the ground and all that would happen is the triple tank + Ana meta would persist except you'd go back to seeing a Zarya every game, maybe some more Winston, but I think that until Ana gets some adjustments it's too early to tell if independent of that D.Va is herself too overpowered.

Of course knowing Blizzard they're going to nerf D.Va as well as Ana at the same time and we'll get to see D.Va's metoric plunge back into the never-picked ranks while everyone shrugs and goes back to picking Rein/Zarya like usual.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

D.Va has always been good and it's just that now with the extra health there's enough of extra wiggle room for people to finally realize. Nothing has changed since the first major patch except for the health and movement speed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Elliotw2 posted:

D.Va has always been good and it's just that now with the extra health there's enough of extra wiggle room for people to finally realize. Nothing has changed since the first major patch except for the health and movement speed.

"Except for movement speed' is a huge deal, though. People predicted that she would be busted good if she could walk faster while shooting since back in beta.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It really doesn't make much of a difference if you're actually playing her right, since you really shouldn't be going full ham on the guns unless you're already super in someone's face.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elliotw2 posted:

D.Va has always been good

Except this isn't really true. Maybe in a game where Zarya never existed D.Va would have been better but since everybody and their dog played Zarya what would happen is that D.Va would be a big fat target for the deathbeam, consistently get blown out of her mech, and never really amount to much. Even faster charging self-destructs weren't even a great lagniappe because once you move out of the headless chicken leagues self-destruct is honestly kind of tricky to actually get kills with, or maybe the red team Zarya uses it for a cheeky 50 charge. Like accepting the fact that if you're good enough at the game you can win with anyone, for most people D.Va was not worth the time and effort because she got casually punished by a popular and powerful comp mainstay and had no real recourse to deal with it, plus her move-while-firing rate was so lovely that you could save yourself from the giant pink robot by simply walking backwards.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zarya is actually not great against D.Va since you can just back the gently caress out of her beam, and if you need to you can win a damage race against her at <50 charge.

I've been saying this since the game came out and no one ever believes me.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Elliotw2 posted:

Zarya is actually not great against D.Va since you can just back the gently caress out of her beam, and if you need to you can win a damage race against her at <50 charge.

I've been saying this since the game came out and no one ever believes me.

Probably because the default Zarya action was to backpedal out of effective D. Va range and then shove the pink beam into her face.

It's not so great anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elliotw2 posted:

Right, which is why for the longest time Zarya was considered a comp staple while D.Va was relegated to the "maybe you'll pick this when you need to stall overtime" tier. Like I don't know what to tell you man, I've played a fair bit of both Zarya and D.Va and while I wouldn't call Zarya a "hard counter" to her the fact is that in an environment where Zarya got more charge per bubble and D.Va had 100 fewer mech health and a shittier move speed while firing that pretty much any time someone on the red team was trying to be a bully D.Va it was honestly really, really easy to repeatedly shut them down. And playing as D.Va my experience frequently was that maybe I could get away from Zarya without exploding but when someone forces you to back off instead of being where you wanted to be that's not really a victory for you and Zarya was (and still kind of is) really, really good at making D.Va back off, whether it's bubbling a target and farming charge off the constant shotgun spam or slapping you with a weapon that bypasses your primary method of damage mitigation.

edit; and another thing in Zarya's favor is that half of her own health naturally regenerates, which was a lot better when you could simply backpedal out of D.Va's optimal damage range because it meant that trying to chip Zarya down while slowly waddling at her was far less effective. You could boost up to the Zarya but then all she'd do is bubble and backpedal while beaming you for two seconds.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 27, 2016