Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Daler Mehndi posted:

Running into a shonen protagonist is the worst. :argh:

I've actually become significantly less interested in VS for the immediate future because these kinds of characters are tedious as gently caress. If we're lucky he's going to have an unfortunate end very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Aint he just another murderer in a world of them? I guess he's a little livelier

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Aint he just another murderer in a world of them? I guess he's a little livelier

I dunno he just pushes some dangerous shonen trope buttons for me;

Rediculously skinny build

Prettyboy as gently caress

Wears no armour and makes a point out of how dumb and bad wearing armour is because it makes you "slow"

Singlemindedly wants to fight ~strong people~ (and yeah I know Thorkell does this as well but he at least looks like a crazy pissed off viking and is entertaining)

Part of the fun of VS is that it at least has a decent sense of verisimilitude and this guy feels like a character from a different series who came over explicitly to poo poo on it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Part of the fun of VS is that it at least has a decent sense of verisimilitude

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

remember the 4-5 volumes Thorfin spent as a ninja who dual wields daggers

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

I thought vikings actually did that though. Well, probably not that dramatic and photogenically, but the general idea.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

GodFish posted:

I thought vikings actually did that though. Well, probably not that dramatic and photogenically, but the general idea.

Me too?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yes, that's a thing vikings really did. Turns out moving longboats across the country is actually easiest if you go in a straight line with 16 people carrying it. Plus it's sometimes faster to switch rivers rather than going to the place where the river flows and then walking the rest of the way.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Within the world of Vinland Saga, there simply exist men with a preternatural talent for killing, like Thors, or Thorfinn, or Thorkell, or even Askeladd. This is a class of character seen in other stories, like Leone or Kurosawa films. In that case, Garm is a dark mirror of Thorfinn, who ever went any kind of emotional journey to rise above this calling.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Or maybe he did and his calling is killing? Kinda seems like thorkell did that too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Not just in VS, dudes who can kill scores of other dudes just because they were born under an auspicious moon or whatever are super common everywhere in the old tales

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
To be honest, fighting and killing are skills like any other, you can get better with training and practice but there have always been people who are naturally gifted at it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Otoyomegatari - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Otoyomegatari/Vol-009-Ch-061--What-Comes-Next?id=340489

In which Pariya masters Unlimited Blush Works and makes a new friend, and Grandma is the coolest wing-woman.

Gale Raziya
Jun 18, 2014

JosephWongKS posted:

New Otoyomegatari

:staredog:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Got my hopes up for more Shirley. I ... don't think we'll ever see more.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Pariya is powerful. Three months though......

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

To be honest, fighting and killing are skills like any other, you can get better with training and practice but there have always been people who are naturally gifted at it.

Yeah, though not to nearly the sort of extreme we see in myths, fiction, etc. There's a strict limit to a person's reflexes, etc and it's doubtful that anyone can reach the point where they can consistently and easily dispatch whole groups of trained opponents (heck, groups of untrained opponents probably wouldn't even work).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Vinland Saga's depiction of combat has been larger than life since the very beginning, though that's something that wasn't very apparent during the farmer/slave arc.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Rereading Vagabond I gotta say the farming arc is my favorite and imo even better than the one in Vinland. I've never seen a manga convey the dreary starvation of peasant life so poignantly and effectively

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, though not to nearly the sort of extreme we see in myths, fiction, etc. There's a strict limit to a person's reflexes, etc and it's doubtful that anyone can reach the point where they can consistently and easily dispatch whole groups of trained opponents (heck, groups of untrained opponents probably wouldn't even work).

Indeed, it's clearly an artistic license to make the characters appear as more heroic/legendary. Especially Thorkell, he is a loving beast. On the other hand, now that I think about it, in this manga combat is only realistic (somewhat) when it only involves random nameless mooks on both sides.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so vinland saga is basically dota.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
[ALLIES] Askeladd: who the gently caress fed Troll

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Thorkell's feats in particular feel like something out of folklore or a tall tale to me. "Let me tell ya. That man Thorkell was so strong that one time..."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Just like how "Thorkell the Tall" doesn't mean he was actually 8 feet tall.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Thorkell had a 30-40 year military career and people from Scandanavia are generally pretty tall so his epithet must mean something. I think he was pretty exemplary IRL too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Today I learned Thorkell was a real person.

As, apparently, was our "Canute", really Cnut.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

they even reenacted the famous story of cnut/canute going down to the sea and commanding the tide to stop crashing on the shore

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Thorfinn Karlsefni was a real person too

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Vikings were a real historical group.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Vikings were a real historical group.

Nuh-uh :colbert:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
historical theorists even postulate the existence of a land mass known as "england" that existed for centuries in the middle ages, but no certifiable proof has ever been found

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i found out just now that this manga is a total loving ripoff of these things called the vinland sagas

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I only follow historically accurate series like Helck or Dragonball.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

Just like how "Thorkell the Tall" doesn't mean he was actually 8 feet tall.

It's a reverse Ivar the Boneless.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure the Vikings were shorter than modern Europeans. Thorkell the Tall could have been 6'2".

Not an edit: A quick googling reveals they were about the same height as modern europeans (5'10").

quote:

"The average height of men in Norway in the Viking era, based on skeletal measurements, was 176cm (5ft 9in), with a range from 170-181cm (5ft 7in to 5ft 11in), which was taller than other Europeans during this time."

So, maybe Thorkell was the size of Hafthor Bjornsson.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I mean, if I saw The Mountain run someone through with a sword, I'd write about it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

People here should read Egil's Saga if they want to see some of the extremes a saga protagonist (man, typing that feels weird) can get up to.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Say Nothing posted:

I'm pretty sure the Vikings were shorter than modern Europeans. Thorkell the Tall could have been 6'2".

Not an edit: A quick googling reveals they were about the same height as modern europeans (5'10").

So, maybe Thorkell was the size of Hafthor Bjornsson.

I generally put him roughly in the same height bracket as Grutte Pier, who was provably 7'1". People absolutely could be that height back then, it was just rarer than it is today.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Most historical true giants probably suffered from acromegaly or something... there was a roman emperor who probably had that.

And many known historical figures were nobles, who usually had superior diets than their contemporaries... which probably affects height more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Last volume of Wolfsmund is here. I guess all the stupid crap on the first volume was redeemed by this one where the swiss kill a hundred billion german knights