Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

It's just a new power that everyone needs to -try to- adapt to dealing with. Like if you've been dealing with people who could either shoot electricity or fire for half a decade and then all of a sudden someone shows up utilizing the power cosmic.

Gotta grind a whole new set of resistance gear :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Javid posted:

I just assumed they were playing him as unstoppable so the real big bad of the season could slap him around before the mid season break for extra "oh poo poo".
Isn't Eli still the only guy to do much of anything to Robbie even out of Rider form?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I just want to see Johnny come back in the finale to back up Robbie. Is that so wrong of me :smith:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Chortles posted:

Isn't Eli still the only guy to do much of anything to Robbie even out of Rider form?

Daisy gave him a run for his money. So a bevy of Inhumans might be able to slow him down, but probably not stop him.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Chortles posted:

You guys probably know this. Which marvel movie hero can actually beat Ghost Rider? I guess Thor could just drop and keep Mjolnir on him. Though Thor could probably do that to everyone. Basically who could Shield actually call to stop him?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Have they ever tried throwing a bucket of ice cold water?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Soylentbits posted:

Basically who could Shield actually call to stop him?

From the ghost rider wiki:
" It is possible that they (Ghost Riders) are genuinely immortal, as it is said that God created them and only God can destroy them"

So they just have to get God to join SHIELD

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Zzulu posted:

From the ghost rider wiki:
" It is possible that they (Ghost Riders) are genuinely immortal, as it is said that God created them and only God can destroy them"

So they just have to get God to join SHIELD

Well that's easy enough. Uh...any god or Judeo-Christian God god?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Soylentbits posted:

You guys probably know this. Which marvel movie hero can actually beat Ghost Rider? I guess Thor could just drop and keep Mjolnir on him. Though Thor could probably do that to everyone. Basically who could Shield actually call to stop him?

Peak ghost rider, with the demon in full control? Literally no one

Ghost Rider was matching blows with World War Hulk and Dr Strange said "its powers are boundless, godlike"

Granted, that was Johnny Blaze and not Robbie, but still

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Does it have to be Marvel, or any comic book person? Because the answer is probably Dr. Manhattan.

Is Ghost Rider in any way constituent of mass-energy? Probably Dr. Manhattan.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Ghost Rider is mostly made of vengeance.

I'm not sure super science mind-popping will beat that.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

OB_Juan posted:

Ghost Rider is mostly made of vengeance.

I'm not sure super science mind-popping will beat that.

He would return to avenge his own death! :wth:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the comics GR got his rear end whupped all the time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

In the comics GR got his rear end whupped all the time.

In the cartoons he once beat Galactus singlehandedly. His powers are .... somewhat erratically portrayed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Ghost Rider doesn't have a lot of control over his powers so if the desire or need for vengeance is weak, he's just not going to do much. On the other hand, he's unkillable by any means expect maybe some weird divine magical poo poo and he could probably override mjolnir if he needed because the "user rights system" on it is technological (essentially an AI) and simply requires that the demon be able to lift neutronium unaided. With demon magic, the laws of physics can be broken so, yeah.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Guys, here's my unified theory of Ghost Rider and his powers (see my AV):

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 22, 2016

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

bloodychill posted:

Ghost Rider doesn't have a lot of control over his powers so if the desire or need for vengeance is weak, he's just not going to do much. On the other hand, he's unkillable by any means expect maybe some weird divine magical poo poo and he could probably override mjolnir if he needed because the "user rights system" on it is technological (essentially an AI) and simply requires that the demon be able to lift neutronium unaided. With demon magic, the laws of physics can be broken so, yeah.

Ghost Rider's strength, powers, and durability are are directly proportional to the amount of vengeance he is attempting to mete out, within the boundaries of "quite a bit tougher than a human" to "can one-shot Galactus". Certain exceptional individuals are immune to his penance stare.

flosofl posted:

Guys, I have here's my unified theory of Ghost Rider and his powers (see my AV):

drat. Same idea, fewer words.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Peak ghost rider, with the demon in full control? Literally no one

Ghost Rider was matching blows with World War Hulk and Dr Strange said "its powers are boundless, godlike"

Granted, that was Johnny Blaze and not Robbie, but still

And then the Hulk knocked Johnny Blaze out, Dr. Strange said something about the consciousness bonded to the Rider being the thing that restricts it's power implying some serious poo poo was about to go down as the Rider got back up and a lot more flame than usual was flying around.

Then the Rider locks gazes with the Hulk, turns and leaves, and Dr. Strange says something like "The Spirit of Vengeance has decided that Hulk is in the right." *shits pants*.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

biracial bear for uncut posted:

"The Spirit of Vengeance has decided that Hulk is in the right." *shits pants*.

That is Not a Good Day.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Ghost Rider with the human in control is beatable by anyone with powers. Ghost rider with the "Spirit of vengeance" in full control is a cosmic level power so no one in the show would come close

Also this is a spectrum so there are levels to "how much in control the ghost rider is"

in other words, his powerlevel is whatever suits the writers needs

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So how did Ada snap that agent's neck if her programming prevents her from killing? Did she figure out a way to circumvent that or what? I know she was building that brain but I assumed that was for the May-bot.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

So how did Ada snap that agent's neck if her programming prevents her from killing? Did she figure out a way to circumvent that or what?

Dude was obviously a Skrull. :v:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nill posted:

Dude was obviously a Skrull. :v:

I would legitimately love the twist that her kidnapping agents and replacing them actually is the good thing to do, because of a body snatcher invasion like the Skrull.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

So how did Ada snap that agent's neck if her programming prevents her from killing? Did she figure out a way to circumvent that or what? I know she was building that brain but I assumed that was for the May-bot.

I think downloading the Darkhold has probably had a few less than desirable side effects, like making her capable of murder.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He also might not be dead. You can survive a snapped neck, right? A few augmentations, guy could be good to go.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

greatn posted:

Loki literally has the tesseract right now, and had the power gem but sent it away to the collector.

No he had the Aether sent to the Collector. The Power stone is locked up in Nova Corps HQ.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Indeed, if I remember correctly, the Aether is the reality stone/gas/thing.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Ghost Rider with the human in control is beatable by anyone with powers. Ghost rider with the "Spirit of vengeance" in full control is a cosmic level power so no one in the show would come close

Also this is a spectrum so there are levels to "how much in control the ghost rider is"

in other words, his powerlevel is whatever suits the writers needs
Sounds broadly consistent with the show but is this while transformed/with-flaming-skull? Without transforming MCU Robbie struggled against Daisy (first fight), was knocked out in the collision with the Quinjet (no apparent lasting effects), and Eli even stalled the transformation... but that last one was only after Robbie was already not dead from exposure to a demon core and quantum energy fields, so I guess even without transforming MCU Robbie is unkillable unless the Spirit of Vengeance can jump to someone else?

I'm not sure where the dividing line is in the show's 'Spirit in control' versus 'Robbie in control'... or whether even with Robbie in control the transformed Rider is so much more powerful than everyone ever on the show as to make the question functionally irrelevant.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chortles posted:

Sounds broadly consistent with the show but is this while transformed/with-flaming-skull? Without transforming MCU Robbie struggled against Daisy (first fight), was knocked out in the collision with the Quinjet (no apparent lasting effects), and Eli even stalled the transformation... but that last one was only after Robbie was already not dead from exposure to a demon core and quantum energy fields, so I guess even without transforming MCU Robbie is unkillable unless the Spirit of Vengeance can jump to someone else?

I'm not sure where the dividing line is in the show's 'Spirit in control' versus 'Robbie in control'... or whether even with Robbie in control the transformed Rider is so much more powerful than everyone ever on the show as to make the question functionally irrelevant.

Pretty sure Robbie is still unkillable even when not in demon form, but can be knocked out like you say. Also, it seems his car can't be damaged when he's driving. He crashed into the Quinjet at 90 mph and the car didn't turn into a crumpled heap of metal like it should have.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Open Source Idiom posted:

He also might not be dead. You can survive a snapped neck, right? A few augmentations, guy could be good to go.

C3/4/5 keeps the diaphragm alive. Maybe she threw him on a ventilator.

But we know that in Hollywood-land, "snapped neck" = "insta-dead." Like how "shot in the upper chest" = "needs a bandage and a sling" instead of "needs a chest tube at a minimum," and "shot in the abdomen" is "short hospital stay" instead of "gets an exploratory laparotomy." Dude is dead.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Agent Johnson had his neck snapped but luckily it missed any vital organs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tetrapyloctomy posted:

C3/4/5 keeps the diaphragm alive. Maybe she threw him on a ventilator.

The Darkhold is actually just a collection of "Scud the disposable assassin" comics

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Ghostrider's powers are literally based on how mad he is and how long he's been thinking of a pentenance soliloquy to go with alongside his pentenance stare. I think he was just really mad at galactus.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Watched the show over a couple of years, but then took a break at the end of season 2 for a while. Finally caught up after binging season 3 and what we have of season 4. Was sad to see Hunter and Bobby go, but they had a nice sendoff. It's actually cool to see a show that is willing to let go of some characters when it feels like their stories are done. Surprised May didn't die at the end of season 3 for this reason though. I really enjoyed how season 3 tied the inhumans, lash, the portal stone/hive (and the inhumans fear of it) together.

Everyone seems to be loving this season, but I'm getting a bit of whiplash from the feeling that AoS is being forced to follow Dr Strange down the magical hellhole instead of following it's own story. It's funny, because this is obviously what happened with the inhumans storyline, which ended up working really well. But probably too well; so much was established in AoS about inhuman lore, origins etc etc that I don't really get at this point how an inhumans movie or tv show or whatever would work separate from AoS without repeating a lot of the same information in a huge infodump.

Currently watching the Slingshot webisodes. Definitely feels like they were scenes made for the show and cut at the last minute. Yoyo and Mac's conversations about their relationship (or lack thereof) in the main episodes made little sense until these webisodes came out. There's a difference between additional content filling in blanks that aren't critical to the main show, and aspects of the main show making no sense at all without the additional content.

EDIT: Oh, the biggest bit of weirdness. I am still not used to Daisy being Daisy and not Skye. I like that they made a point of everyone not immediately internalizing the change. I've never seen a show that has changed a characters name in this way, which is interesting.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 28, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Arcanen posted:

EDIT: Oh, the biggest bit of weirdness. I am still not used to Daisy being Daisy and not Skye. I like that they made a point of everyone not immediately internalizing the change. I've never seen a show that has changed a characters name in this way, which is interesting.

I know it's silly, but I really appreciated this when they did it. It was like they were telling the audience, "we get it, change is hard, but we are doing this so get used to it." It was nice.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Hunter and Bobby didn't get written off because they ran out of stories for them, the opposite is true really. They were written off of AoS so they could get their own show, but Disney decided not to order the pilot in the end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Turning Skye into Daisy Johnson was the most clumsy, stupid thing this show has done and that is saying something.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I dont see it, how so

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently EP Jeffrey Bell has stated in an interview that Ghost Rider is kind of expensive, so don't expect to see him back soon/become a regular. Also Ghost Rider's departure doesn't mean the end of the magical stuff as a big part of Aida's motivation is she wants to find the Darkhold and keep using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder what's so expensive about GR, the flaming head effect doesn't look all that much better than Firestorm's flames on LoT.

• Locked thread