Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jesus, I wish I hadn't brought it up. Like I've said four or five times by now, I get it to a PDF just fine, it's dealing with lovely word documents that annoys me. And since I can apparently do direct PDF editing with Google Docs, I am doing that from here on out rather than loving around with word documents and later exporting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I think you're missing the point. Don't try to edit PDFs. Make the document you want in whatever editor your want, then export. When it's time to update, edit in whatever editor your want, then export the final copy again.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Jesus, I wish I hadn't brought it up. Like I've said four or five times by now, I get it to a PDF just fine, it's dealing with lovely word documents that annoys me. And since I can apparently do direct PDF editing with Google Docs, I am doing that from here on out rather than loving around with word documents and later exporting them.
*holds down the power button* Look I've been doing it like this for years now and it's simply the fastest way to get those annoying popups to go away, why is everyone making a big deal about this? I guess I'll try going to shutdown from the start menu from now on.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hear McDonald's has an excellent management training program. That might be more up your ally

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao you guys are ruthless, on this day of all days

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Canada doesn't celebrate Christmas on the same day as us so get hosed

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's Boxing Day Somewhere

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

It's Boxing Day Somewhere

I meant boxing day as a holy day, duh

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Building AC turned off and temperature alarms are popping off. Spoke too soon about being on call over the holidays.

Luckily it's just a matter of opening a door to help vent the room but still.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CloFan posted:

I think you're missing the point. Don't try to edit PDFs. Make the document you want in whatever editor your want, then export. When it's time to update, edit in whatever editor your want, then export the final copy again.

Are you guys just loving with me? I feel like I'm being told to do what I'm already doing while also being told what I'm doing is terrible. So this is me seriously asking trying to learn the best way to do something.

PDF is the best format to use because it reliably holds formatting across computers/editors/whatever, right? What's the best way to create a PDF? I'm hearing create a document in a text editor and export it. Is that right?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Does anyone need a new job, as Pokemon Director of Information Security? http://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=POKEMON&cws=1&rid=356

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Just an aside from PDF resume chat.

My wife had a recruiter modify a resume of hers a few years back. She had a copy of her original when she interviewed and the guys interviewing pulled out a copy of the doctored one. That recruiter lost that client for the future after they all compared and went wtf?

Never give anyone a modifiable resume if you can avoid it. You never know what they'll do with it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Does anyone need a new job, as Pokemon Director of Information Security? http://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=POKEMON&cws=1&rid=356

lmao

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are you guys just loving with me? I feel like I'm being told to do what I'm already doing while also being told what I'm doing is terrible. So this is me seriously asking trying to learn the best way to do something.

PDF is the best format to use because it reliably holds formatting across computers/editors/whatever, right? What's the best way to create a PDF? I'm hearing create a document in a text editor and export it. Is that right?

I kind of feel bad for dog piling on you on Christmas, especially since you're somewhat new to IT. Here's how you should be doing it:

1. Create resume in Word, just the way you want it. Save the .docx somewhere handy.
2. Export to PDF. There's a built in export option in 2013+, if you have an older version or other editor use something like CutePDF to print to file.
3. Submit PDF copy of resume.
4. When you want to edit, go back to the .docx from step 1 and edit that.
5. Repeat step 2 for your newly revised resume.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

CloFan posted:

I kind of feel bad for dog piling on you on Christmas, especially since you're somewhat new to IT. Here's how you should be doing it:

1. Create resume in Word, just the way you want it. Save the .docx somewhere handy.
2. Export to PDF. There's a built in export option in 2013+, if you have an older version or other editor use something like CutePDF to print to file.

Pretty sure that's exactly whats happening. Just the exported PDF somehow differs in format than what he had saved. I've seen the same thing where a print preview looks fine then prints on two different pages and screws up formatting

mewse
May 2, 2006

Saving a libreoffice doc in msword file format will easily ruin formatting. Doesn't libreoffice have native PDF export?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CloFan posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, but with Libreoffice and its built in export. The problem is at step 4, where the formatting has frequently changed in the docx. Mewse says that might be because Libreoffice doesn't like word document formats? I never ran into that in school, just with RTFs.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, but with Libreoffice and its built in export. The problem is at step 4, where the formatting has frequently changed in the docx. Mewse says that might be because Libreoffice doesn't like word document formats? I never ran into that in school, just with RTFs.

If you're going to continue using libreoffice, get a PDF printer and use that to export from the native format to PDF.

You'll continue to have a bad time with docx

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LibreOffice is poo poo, do you get access to the MS Home Use program through your work or do you have a student ID still valid or something? Office for 11 bucks rules.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll see if I have a still valid student ID. It might have expired over the summer. I was told Libreoffice was the good free word processor now. I pretty much only ever use it to write papers for college, cover letters, and resumes. If not, maybe I can find a legit discounted foreign key, since at least at work they ask what language you want to use. I am just really not in a position to buy $120 of Office.

Actually my brother is still in college, time to buy it through him.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I am just really not in a position to buy $120 of Office.

That's fine, it's just that the free alternatives are utter trash compared to the real thing. Hopefully you can get a cheap copy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MS often offers discount codes for employees of companies they do business with, so you can probably take advantage of that too.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Office 365 Home is $99/yr and you can install it on multiple computers and tablets. Worth every penny.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am a o365 subscriber and I am appalled that word online doesn't format heavy customized word documents correctly. What the gently caress office, IT'S YOUR GOD drat FORMAT.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's fine, it's just that the free alternatives are utter trash compared to the real thing. Hopefully you can get a cheap copy.

Google Docs is perfectly acceptable and does everything you need to write resumes and print them to PDF. You might not get all of the obscure Excel and Word features, but what do you expect for free?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just use Google Docs.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Talking about RTF's, what's the last time anyone ever used that format.

For me it's probably 10+ years ago.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I haven't used a CD/DVD in 10 years either.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tigren posted:

Google Docs is perfectly acceptable and does everything you need to write resumes and print them to PDF. You might not get all of the obscure Excel and Word features, but what do you expect for free?

Of course it's perfectly acceptable. So is Office, if you get it for cheap. I was referring to Libre/Open Office mainly

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

I went to visit a mall santa with my daughter this year and the only option for digital photos they had was a CD. I was like, what do I do with this, put it in my car? Get out of here. Then I spit in Santa's face and took a big poo poo in the middle of the line of kids and I walked out of that mall like the tough guy I am

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LochNessMonster posted:

Talking about RTF's, what's the last time anyone ever used that format.

For me it's probably 10+ years ago.

RTF is nice when I need to generate dead tree reports with headers on every page since the format is easy to generate in a batch file.

Methanar posted:

DVDs are great when I don't want to give someone a thumb drive I may never see again.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah but the recipient has to actually access the content. And as VC so eloquently stated, who the gently caress even has an optical drive in TYOOL 2016?

Maybe this is just my tech company all-Mac bubble showing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

who the gently caress even has an optical drive in TYOOL 2016?

I do, for my indie hipster band album releases that are too underground to be on Spotify or Google Music :smug:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What's a good Windows IRC client now? I'm switching laptops and I was rapidly falling out of love with KVirc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still use mIRC without issue.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hexchat for me these days

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I do, for my indie hipster band album releases that are too underground to be on Spotify or Google Music :smug:

They're releasing on Bandcamp or cassette tape these days.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I work in a very quiet clinic and sometimes it may take hours for new patients to appear to the worklist. Does anyone know about some software which checks a specific screen area for average pixel value changes or something? And then gives an alert.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Ihmemies posted:

I work in a very quiet clinic and sometimes it may take hours for new patients to appear to the worklist. Does anyone know about some software which checks a specific screen area for average pixel value changes or something? And then gives an alert.

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well at least I have all the time in the world to implement it myself :v: I should probably start to write a book too to kill the time.