Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

So is AMD going to put two of these dies on one package for their weird rectangular server socket again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

In fact, all consumer chips are explicitly Xeons with some of their features fused off.
If the dies are physically smaller than this isn't correct. Yes binning is a thing I know that and they obviously use the same core and share all kinds of tech but real differences do exist.

Paul MaudDib posted:

But for any consumer chip out there - the Xeon has exactly the same memory capacity.
I think you're misunderstanding me. My point was if they wanted to Intel could do a non-Xeon chip with higher RAM capacity but there were also technical reasons why such a part would have to cost more too.

But for any consumer chip out there - the Xeon has exactly the same memory capacity.Kabylake-X is supposed to be dual-channel. [/quote]
Ah poo poo yeah looked at a oold leak. All the more recent leaks show you're right here.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Even VMs and poo poo are going to run out of cores long before they run out of RAM - and if you are really that edge case then you either buy a dual-socket board (gets you up to 256 GB) or you buy the E7 scale-up processors instead of the E3/E5 scale-out chips (which gets you up to 24 TB).

Single socket E5 will get you to 1TB ram (some are limited 768). Dual socket 1.5 TB.
If you need a terrabyte of ECC ram i don't think the relatively small premium for a E5 xeon and a C chipset is the thing holding you back. 64 GB DDR4 modules are not cheap and the 128GB modules to actually use that capacity are not for sale yet.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 26, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you need 1TB+ ECC RAM, aren't you doing something professionally that justifies the cost of full-ham server hardware that pushes the discussion out of the scope of desktop / SOHO computing?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you're using a terabyte of RAM, you're probably not the one paying for it anyway

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
To my thinking this all hinges on having a mature well performing platform with all the stuff people expect. USB 3, m.2, etc AMD has always been 2nd class when it comes to platform performance and quality assurance.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I need two tb of rams please.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

penus penus penus posted:

http://www.downloadmoreram.com/

Or for Weebs,

http://www.downloadmorerem.com/

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I currently have over 2000 chrome tabs open.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If the dies are physically smaller than this isn't correct. Yes binning is a thing I know that and they obviously use the same core and share all kinds of tech but real differences do exist.

The die sizes are the same. i3s, i5s, and i7s are actually literally Xeon dies (the HEDT chips are the bigger E5 version of the Xeon). It's the same physical chip, this is how binning works.

The server market gets the good chips (low leakage/runs at low voltage i.e. low power). The consumer market gets the lovely chips: defective cores becomes i3 (there are no Xeon 2C4Ts - this is why i3s now support ECC RAM), i5s and Pentiums are pretty much marketing bins (the chances of hyperthreading being the only thing wrong with the chip is basically zero), everything else is an i7. This doesn't work if there is a "special" die for consumers, then you have to start binning multiple dies and now you have a certain bin of extra-extra lovely chips.

This actually works out really well for the consumer: your i3 that you buy for $110 or the i5 that you buy for $200 is heavily subsidized by the Xeon-bin chips that sell for $800. You are literally buying the poo poo-tier reject chips, that's why they're so cheap. Someone else is paying big bucks for the A-grade chip and that subsidizes the development cost of the chip and those absurd chipzilla profit margins.

(note: AMD does the same thing, this is the standard binning strategy now)

quote:

I think you're misunderstanding me. My point was if they wanted to Intel could do a non-Xeon chip with higher RAM capacity but there were also technical reasons why such a part would have to cost more too.

Again, just to underscore this point: the Xeon chips are literally the same chips as the consumer chips, there is no "special Xeon chip" that consumers don't have access to. Any consumer chip is literally a Xeon with features fused out.

In combination with the above point: if Intel wanted to increase the memory capacity, why wouldn't they push that feature up to the Xeon lineup? Without the subsidy that the Xeon line provides to the consumer chips, that would mean these chips would be like $700-800 for an i7 equivalent, so nobody would buy it, and the enterprise customers would get mad that Intel has a cool new chip and is holding out on them. And if you can figure out a use for more than 128 GB in a workstation... the enterprise users are definitely screaming for that capability.

ItBurns posted:

I currently have over 2000 chrome tabs open.

The best use for 32 GB+ of RAM. Hail satan. :patriot:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 27, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The die sizes are the same. i3s, i5s, and i7s are actually literally Xeon dies (the HEDT chips are the bigger E5 version of the Xeon). It's the same physical chip, this is how binning works.

The server market gets the good chips (low leakage/runs at low voltage i.e. low power). The consumer market gets the lovely chips: defective cores becomes i3 (there are no Xeon 2C4Ts - this is why i3s now support ECC RAM),

Has anybody looked at i3 dies? I thought that i3s were really leaky mobile i5/i7s.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

penus penus penus posted:

:confused:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

What was that technology consulting or computer company commercial where it showed a bunch of WASPy old dudes and a conference table trying to sound with the times and spouting buzzwords they misunderstood? I think it ended with one saying "Ram all the gigabytes!" before the voiceover said they didn't know what they were talking about (and I guess to hire the company in question who could understand your business' tech needs).

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

What was that technology consulting or computer company commercial where it showed a bunch of WASPy old dudes and a conference table trying to sound with the times and spouting buzzwords they misunderstood? I think it ended with one saying "Ram all the gigabytes!" before the voiceover said they didn't know what they were talking about (and I guess to hire the company in question who could understand your business' tech needs).

Sounds like a CDW commercial.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The die sizes are the same. i3s, i5s, and i7s are actually literally Xeon dies (the HEDT chips are the bigger E5 version of the Xeon). It's the same physical chip, this is how binning works.....

Are we saying that the L3 cache is the same, too? Intel just nerf it down on i5's and i3's?

I want an i3 with 8MB cache!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SpelledBackwards posted:

Reminds me of https://youtu.be/fX1DrZ75GxA

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

apropos man posted:

Are we saying that the L3 cache is the same, too? Intel just nerf it down on i5's and i3's?
Isn't the L3 cache per core, but shared via ring bus? I'd figure disabling a core does the same to the cache.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The die sizes are the same.
I actually can't find a good source comparing current Xeon's and consumer grade products die sizes so I'm not sure on this.

Paul MaudDib posted:

(note: AMD does the same thing, this is the standard binning strategy now)
Yes both AMD and Intel have been binning for a very long time now if not from the get go. But there practical limits to how far you can go with just trying sell bins of just 1 chip. At a certain point it becomes more financially sensible to do different designs.

Paul MaudDib posted:

In combination with the above point: if Intel wanted to increase the memory capacity, why wouldn't they push that feature up to the Xeon lineup?
Probably because the Xeon lineup doesn't really have much of a RAM capacity issue. FWIW I don't think the desktops do either per se. Despite some folks chiming in saying they felt limited at 32GB in this thread realistically that is more than most people need for now since most just edit the occasional video, use Word/Excel, game, and have a few 10's of tabs open in whatever their browser of choice is.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Without the subsidy that the Xeon line provides to the consumer chips,
Mmmmm I think you're giving Intel too much credit there and presenting them in a tad too much of a consumer friendly light. At least for my tastes. Yes the Xeon chips do to some extent 'subsidize' the cheaper desktop chips but the profit margins on them are also supposed to be very good too due to their high prices. I suspect they could probably drop the prices on Xeons a decent amount without having to jack the consumer grade model's prices through the roof like you're suggesting.

Also realistically that won't happen because Intel much prefers their current profit margins and will continue to milk the market as they have since Sandy Bridge was released until AMD can offer some sort of decent competition. Yes I understand that it makes perfect sense from Intel's perspective to do this, but that doesn't mean I like it.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 27, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Of note, on most systems, you have a "hard" CPU limit of how much RAM it can use. (Both CPU and then Platfrom limits depending on your board maker and slot numbers (To hell with X79/X99 4 slot boards).

But most CPU's and boards allow you to adjust RAM/CPU Memory Speeds and Voltages. Usually you don't need to do too much drastic stuff unless you are running some crazy gamer OC memory, but even my ancient X79 3930K runs 8 slots of 2133 DDR3 all day OC'ed to 4.6Ghz. If a Consumer 2600K (Or any CPU really that supports X# slots and X#Gb) with all the slots occupied, then you really should look into the voltages and other settings and see what might be the hold up. (Also bios updates as supporting different ram configs changes a lot during a boards lifetime).

I got 16G initially with this setup, but when there was a sale on the same memory I picked up another 16G because finding that matching kit a year or two down the line from then would become a major crapshoot. And though I haven't needed it much then. (No SSD Swap file is nice with 16+G) I have recently run into not having enough when working on larger Adobe Premiere renders so no RAM GB number is safe as time ticks on and everything just gets bigger and bigger.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My swapfile autoconfigured itself to 4.8GB. On a 32GB machine. I don't think there's anything to sweat about keeping it.

What would be interesting is some knowledge on how Windows handles memory. On Linux I know that it'll do transparent hugepages and prevents the page table from blowing up when running a lot of RAM. I have no idea what exactly Windows does. Huge Large page tables aren't helping performance.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 28, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's 2017 my god do we really have to still think about the paging file? Why?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You don't really. Just leave windows settings alone and don't think about it. There!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Truga posted:

I'd imagine a 4c8t amd to cost around 200 bux give or take. Make it close to 300 and people will just buy an i7

e: On the other hand, it's entirely possible AMD is going to offload all of their chips onto HPC customers for the first several months, and will just set prices to match intel on desktop and not care at all until much later if they actually sell large numbers.

Even if I'm still using my old OC 2500K, Zen will need to be the equivalent of a HW/SKL i5-K for ~$100 and the AM4 mobo for ~$60 to make me somewhat interested.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I actually can't find a good source comparing current Xeon's and consumer grade products die sizes so I'm not sure on this.

My understanding was that consumer desktop i3/5/7s were high leakage mobile parts, but I guess they could be high leakage Xeons, too. The only figure I can find for all three is quad core Ivy Bridge at 160mm² for mobile, desktop, and Xeon, which would suggest that they are all the same die.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Theris posted:

My understanding was that consumer desktop i3/5/7s were high leakage mobile parts, but I guess they could be high leakage Xeons, too. The only figure I can find for all three is quad core Ivy Bridge at 160mm² for mobile, desktop, and Xeon, which would suggest that they are all the same die.

They are all the same die, just differing by bin quality and amount of disabled functionality.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Jago posted:

You don't really. Just leave windows settings alone and don't think about it. There!

This is the correct answer. Don't turn off the pagefile. Microsoft knows SSD's exist.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NihilismNow posted:

This is the correct answer. Don't turn off the pagefile. Microsoft knows SSD's exist.

Coulda fooled me! When Microsoft continues to do dumb-rear end dumb lovely dumb poo poo like change your default printer away from your properly-configured printer to "send to OneNote" when you install Office, (an actual thing that just happened when I reimaged a machine) I have zero confidence in Microsoft's actual competence as a whole.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 28, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

NihilismNow posted:

Windows wants a page file, even if you can fit everything into RAM without issue you want one, things are faster because they expect it. You will also run into games that will complain about no page file and refuse to start.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I put my pagefile on a spinning platter drive.

I have 32 gigs of ram, and I never heard the said drive work, unless it's explicitly me doing something with it or explicitly doing something dumb with my pc. Yes, I've manged to run out of 32 gigs of ram without even running my VMs before, I'm the dumb person.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

I put my pagefile on a spinning platter drive.

Please don't be doing the stupid. :)

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Coulda fooled me! When Microsoft continues to do dumb-rear end dumb lovely dumb poo poo like change your default printer away from your properly-configured printer to "send to OneNote" when you install Office, (an actual thing that just happened when I reimaged a machine) I have zero confidence in Microsoft's actual competence as a whole.

I'm fairly certain you can turn that off with ODT. Besides is it such a big deal to right click on a printer and make it your default? Microsoft is pushing onenote and onedrive aggressively, it has nothing to do with competence. It's not a accident.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

i can't believe how upset you are about having to spend 2 seconds changing the default printer one time, after installing a major printing application

Setset fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 28, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It is now presently 7:15 AM. I have not slept in a little over 30 hours doing data recovery, reimaging, and restaging applications. I admit it is a small thing, but it is the last bleeping thing I need right now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Please don't be doing the stupid. :)

I'm a dirty cheapo and bought a tiny ssd to put windows and the 3 games I have installed on it, there's no place for swap lol

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It is now presently 7:15 AM. I have not slept in a little over 30 hours doing data recovery, reimaging, and restaging applications. I admit it is a small thing, but it is the last bleeping thing I need right now.

I thought my printer was broken when that happened. It is a small thing in a sea of other annoying small Win10 things.

Go to sleep.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

I'm a dirty cheapo and bought a tiny ssd to put windows and the 3 games I have installed on it, there's no place for swap lol

Get another SSD :shobon:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

Buy once cry once.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I thought my printer was broken when that happened. It is a small thing in a sea of other annoying small Win10 things.

Go to sleep.

I have like, five more things to do, and then after lunch I'm checking out until next year.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lube banjo posted:

i can't believe how upset you are about having to spend 2 seconds changing the default printer one time, after installing a major printing application

It would be no big deal until you need to do this 1000x because you run a support shop.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

redeyes posted:

run a support shop

Hahahah no thank youuuuuuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

redeyes posted:

It would be no big deal until you need to do this 1000x because you run a support shop.

If only there were tools to standardize settings, software, and computers!

• Locked thread