Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Does Battlefront still make you download their games as a single 3 gig exe installer file? That was my favorite. Oh you lost connection for a second, go ahead and start it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I remember several pages ago someone mentioned something about a M*A*S*H game?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baloogan posted:

the minimum reqirements for cmano are aabsulrdly low lamo if ya motherfuckers can't fit 20,000 unit world war 3 scenarsios wtih at least 4x carrier groups executing attacks against full detail airbases across the entire world i don't even know what you are doing lamo just loving lamo

the maximum requirements for cmano are absurdly low ffs fix your game so that the ui doesn't freak the gently caress out at 4k

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

I remember several pages ago someone mentioned something about a M*A*S*H game?

It's not a computer game, but this should be it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/504288855/mashed-a-korean-war-mash-rpg

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

the maximum requirements for cmano are absurdly low ffs fix your game so that the ui doesn't freak the gently caress out at 4k

does the right column on the main screen work? like, does it scale right? we're fixing things as we update the UI

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

drat, thanks yeah that was it

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

gohuskies posted:

Does Battlefront still make you download their games as a single 3 gig exe installer file? That was my favorite. Oh you lost connection for a second, go ahead and start it over.

I re-downloaded CMBN and it was like a single 6gb zip file. The upgrade files are packed into a zip file, then when you unzip that they are all individually zipped.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The best game about ww2 in the Pacific is a board game and does not feature tactical carrier combat.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baloogan posted:

does the right column on the main screen work? like, does it scale right? we're fixing things as we update the UI

The right column is kinda okay, it's actually the top bad.

I've been bad at posting in the tech support forum to actually demonstrate the problem, I'll probably post some screens tomorrow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Baloogan posted:

I really want a modern politics wargame, something like Victora II but set in the modern day.

Invest in propaganda technology -like Russia has for generations- and reap the information supremacy on the internet!

There's always POWER AND REVOLUTION

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Yooper posted:

I re-downloaded CMBN and it was like a single 6gb zip file. The upgrade files are packed into a zip file, then when you unzip that they are all individually zipped.

It's called a chain of command, duh

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 26, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

The best game about ww2 in the Pacific is a board game and does not feature tactical carrier combat.

EOTS? Cant find a copy

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Decrepus posted:

It's called a chain of command, duh

It oddly makes sense now.

I haven't sunk any time into the games yet, but I'm looking forward to the hulldown thing.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Baloogan posted:

I really want a modern politics wargame, something like Victora II but set in the modern day.

Invest in propaganda technology -like Russia has for generations- and reap the information supremacy on the internet!

corn in the bible posted:

There's always POWER AND REVOLUTION

thinking it needs a bit of work

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
the reviews on steam are the best tho

quote:

makes you install xvid codec on your own

quote:

Not sure why people rip so hard on this. Yes it's buggy. Yes, it's expensive too. But seriously, c'mon! Strategy games these days are unique and sophisticated and have all sorts of things to do in them

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I got gary grigsby's war in the east :rip:

It's taken me 3 attempts but I've finally not failed the tutorial! :ussr:

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 27, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Which Combat Mission game has the best campaign and is the most fun?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

IAmThatIs posted:

Good, you're now ready to play a multiplayer game of it with me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Hedonist posted:

I always like Fortress Italy because it has three distinct factions to play as, even if one is a comedy option. But the campaigns weren't super great in my opinion.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it''s a mistake to play Combat Mission for the campaign per se, they're strings of scenarios that are no better or worse than the standalone scenarios.

Also they are in no way structured in order of ascending complexity or difficulty.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently I already own Battle for Normandy and now I'm trying to decide if I want to pay for patches. Battlefront sucks.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
PaperTiger's campaigns for CM:BN (can't remember the names, but he has one for the base game, the UK expansion, and the Market Garden expansion) are the only ones that are worth playing in the entire series. All the others either have lovely maps or are entirely too complex. Paper Tiger's stuff hits the perfect balance in force size and difficulty and he creates beautiful maps. I don't think he's done any other stuff for the other games.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Happy Hedonist posted:

Command Ops 2 is on sale right now. Here's a link to the base client which is free, it has 3 scenarios and you buy modules which contain 12+ scenarios each. There are 6 or 7 modules available.

https://store.lnlpublishing.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=193

The last one released on Matrix.com (CO Battles from the Bulge) is extremely good, probably my favorite wargame. They did some wonky poo poo with the sequel. When it was first released it felt like a patched version of Command Ops Battles from the Bulge, which I already owned, and to top it off they decided to charge for the same scenarios included with the Matrix version. I wrote it off until a this current sale.

Now that it's been out for a while it's improved quite a lot. The AI is much better all around, the janky new UI actually does streamline a lot of stuff once you wrap your head around it, and they've added some neat features that make command and control even more interesting.

Between 3 or 4 of the modules the game covers drat near the entire Battle of the Bulge, which is awesome. I bought the whole drat thing because I finished Beevor's Ardenne 1944 recently and was jonesing for more Command Ops. I played through the Race for Bastogne scenario today and it was a lot of fun.

OK I tried the free scenarios in the CO2 engine - but I'm not sure what the upgrade is beyond filling the screen with menu windows.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

IAmThatIs posted:

The Velikie Luki tutorial has to be one of the least exciting, least interesting, and most complex ways of showing someone the basics. They would have been much better off using the Road to Minsk tutorial instead where you actually get to move things and take ground.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

OK I tried the free scenarios in the CO2 engine - but I'm not sure what the upgrade is beyond filling the screen with menu windows.

Here's a thread that goes over the changes. http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/co2-changes.1010/

Most of the changes are to the UI. The UI was pretty terrible before and it may be even worse now, I haven't decided yet. The new overlays and the ability to display multiple force and task windows is a nice addition, but poo poo gets cluttered real quick and it's annoying. Apparently you can move all the stupid dialog boxes to a 2nd monitor, which would be nice, but I don't have 2 monitors so I don't know how well that actually works. I do like the way units scale depending on zoom level and the "Extended Force Icon Information" feature.

Here's a list of the AI changes. http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/p/3340

I honestly don't know how most of those changes effect game play. It's been a long time since I've played CO, but I've noticed I'm having to babysit units less than I did in the past. For instance attached artillery seems to pick appropriate targets and provide better support. Reserve and support units act more like I want them to which makes attack orders seem less chaotic.

Really, all of this stuff could have been implemented in a series of patches. I think what really happened is that Panther Games wanted to change their business model by giving away the actual client and then charge for the scenario packs instead of releasing a new game every couple of years. Maybe Matrix didn't agree with that model so they found a new publisher? I'm not sure it's worked out for them because now they are moving to Steam in an attempt to draw a larger audience and the developer has hinted that future development of the game depends on how well the game sells there. That's a shame because it's such a niche title I don't think it's going to sell.

On the bright side the new scenario packs are good and it's still Command Ops. It's a very unique title that I happen to really enjoy so I hope things go well for them. I'd really like to play Command Ops Eastern Front in some form or another.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'd seen mention at The Sharp End blog that Command Ops might not be continuing.

http://thesharpendgaming.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-future-of-command-ops.html

I don't feel like digging into whatever forum Panther games uses to disseminate info. Though on the Greenlight page from Dec 20 I found this :

So who knows?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I seriously doubt it's going to sell even if he does get it on Steam. At least I still have a ton of scenarios to play through.

I'm trying to remember how to play Combat Mission again this morning, and while the game is fun, the fact the frame rate is still garbage makes me mad. I don't mind poo poo graphics but wildly variable frame rates literally give me a head ache, it's dumb.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
How are the Panzer Corps expansions? I really like the base game and I've replayed it several times but due to the right time limits it feels almost like a puzzle game where each mission has specific steps to go through in order to get the superior victory. I want more flexibility to experiment with different tactics and troops. Also considering grabbing Order of Battle. How open is that?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FastestGunAlive posted:

How are the Panzer Corps expansions? I really like the base game and I've replayed it several times but due to the right time limits it feels almost like a puzzle game where each mission has specific steps to go through in order to get the superior victory. I want more flexibility to experiment with different tactics and troops. Also considering grabbing Order of Battle. How open is that?

So, Panzer Corps(just like Panzer/Allied/Fantasy/Star General) is basically Fire Emblem but harder and with equipment rather than romance. The expansions just add a buttload of missions. It's not really going to change anything.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Red Lancer, a WitE dev, posted this on the Matrix forums.

War in the East 2. With the WitW air engine. Hopefully they've streamlined it a bit, or even made the option to totally automate it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

How's the AI in WiTE? Is it akin to WiTP in that the AI just chooses from pre set plans and implements them come hell or high water, or is it a bit more dynamic than that?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

How's the AI in WiTE? Is it akin to WiTP in that the AI just chooses from pre set plans and implements them come hell or high water, or is it a bit more dynamic than that?

just wanna defend witp here for a second, japanese high command irl was kinda like that. like, midway attack going ahead even though a carrier was down

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Fuligin posted:

It's always felt more dynamic, though I don't know how much of that is my own ineptitude. I'd really have to play the Soviet side more to see how well the AI can develop pockets.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Baloogan posted:

just wanna defend witp here for a second, japanese high command irl was kinda like that. like, midway attack going ahead even though a carrier was down

WITP AI is like a pig singing hymns: never mind that he's off-key; it's a loving miracle that it happens at all

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Groggame developers are so concerned with that they could do that they never stopped to think of what they should do

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Happy Hedonist posted:

just as an aside to others' posting, rip the CMBB campaign game that never was

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I know now why I forgot I bought CMBN. I just don't get Combat Mission. I am HORRIBLE at it.

While looking at that thread on WITE2 I ran across a blurb that lead me to a post on some other forum where I found this.

quote:

We are doing this while also working on a new tactical game inspired by Gary's old Steel Panthers series, something we are working on jointly with the Matrix development group. We hope that one or both of these games will come out in 2017, although this part of the post will self-destruct within 30 days and I will deny ever saying it.

That's exciting stuff IMO.

Also, I'm still looking for someone to play either Panzer Battles or one of Tiller's WW1 games with me. Someone here has to own one of these.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 27, 2016

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Is there an online version of something like the Next War series of boardgames? (turn-based, hexes, based on real-world potential conflicts)

Happy Hedonist posted:

Also, I'm still looking for someone to play either Panzer Battles or one of Tiller's WW1 games with me. Someone here has to own one of these.

I've got both Tiller's WW1 games, but I'm stretched pretty thin for the next few months so if you can't find an opponent, I can probably offer a turn a week.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 27, 2016

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

TonySnow posted:

PaperTiger's campaigns for CM:BN (can't remember the names, but he has one for the base game, the UK expansion, and the Market Garden expansion) are the only ones that are worth playing in the entire series. All the others either have lovely maps or are entirely too complex. Paper Tiger's stuff hits the perfect balance in force size and difficulty and he creates beautiful maps. I don't think he's done any other stuff for the other games.

I enjoy the larger, more complex campaigns, but yeah the Paper Tiger ones were probably the best (I haven't played every campaign in every game though). The Allied campaign for Market Garden was probably my favorite from the whole series. The maps are nice, the missions are varied, some are short, some are long, it switches back and forth between US and British missions, and there are a lot of different types of Germans that you go up against so I never got bored with it, despite it being a pretty long campaign overall (like 14 missions?).

Alchenar posted:

Yeah it''s a mistake to play Combat Mission for the campaign per se, they're strings of scenarios that are no better or worse than the standalone scenarios.

That's not really true though - some campaigns give you choices to make, like do you go left or go right, or attack or wait etc. Sometimes you will get different missions and different maps depending on the choices you make or whether you win or lose a battle. Like in one of the German campaigns for CMBN for example, I lost a battle and then had to conduct a fighting withdrawal for the next one, with Allied troops attacking from all directions, and I wouldn't get this battle if I won. Troops and sometimes ammo will carry over from mission to mission too so you have to worry about preservation, while in a scenario you can just throw everyone you have into the meat grinder and have your battalion HQ personally lead an attack with his pistol or whatever and it won't matter.

Some campaigns are obviously better or worse than others though, and some are not much more than strings of scenarios. There are also good user-made campaigns you can download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Biggest problem with the WITE AI is that it can't look more than one turn ahead as far as forming pockets is concerned, which greatly limits the kind of danger you'll face as a Soviet player.

As a German player, it won't matter as much because the Soviet steamroller is going to push you around anyway.