Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

Random question for the thread: what is the first game you ever beat? I think for me it was Ducktales (though I also think I played on easy).

duke nukem 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played frog fractions 2 for an hour before getting to the point where the game actually starts and boy that structure is absolutely not worth it so far. I appreciate their dedication to the swindle but this game better blow my friggin socks off for that investment

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Random question for the thread: what is the first game you ever beat? I think for me it was Ducktales (though I also think I played on easy).

I think Super Mario Bros. 3 was mine. I remember being really stupid proud of myself.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm trying to sit down and actually play HITMAN but I'm just sort of not sure what to really do

Lots of challenges and stuff but not much really telling me what I "should" do next perhaps in terms of difficulty or whatever, I dunno

Decision paralysis is a weiner

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I have problems finishing games, i think the first game i beat was warcraft 3 using cheat codes so i could beat everything to death with the night elf buildings.

I think the first game i legit beat was either Cubivore or Windwaker.
First game i 100%ed and really mastered was TES4: Oblivion. Even today im pretty sure i could tell you where to find and how to finish any quest as well as tonnes of bugs/exploits to get things like the 100% magic resist shield from an arena opponent or how to cheese umbra at level 1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

I'm trying to sit down and actually play HITMAN but I'm just sort of not sure what to really do

Lots of challenges and stuff but not much really telling me what I "should" do next perhaps in terms of difficulty or whatever, I dunno

Hitman's difficulty curve is separated by sections of a level, basically. There's always the entry point, where nobody notices you and you have clearance, slightly upgraded points that you have to sneak into but are clear to walk around as long as guards/etc don't see you, and high security spots that you cannot be seen in without a disguise. Therefore, the difficulty of a challenge/opportunity basically amounts to where it requires you to go to accomplish it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is there a thread for Stardew Valley? I've never played Harvest Moon type games before so I feel a little overwhelmed sometimes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530059

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ciaphas posted:

If you're not quite sure then I would say make full use of the Opportunities to: get the lay of the land; better understand where and when the targets move through the map; and get some XP which will start opening up better starting positions, pickups, and equipment.

The game is fully designed around you replaying the same level many many times so use the first few to just do whatever and see how things work.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ciaphas posted:

Look at the Opportunities for a mission, those are guided objectives that will get you in a good position for the hit or even complete it. Those will be the easiest way to complete the story objective. Once you complete a mission once you can choose to move on, or you can do the mission using different Opportunities or Challenges.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kirby's Dream Land

Though I don't think it was the first game I ever played, that's probably either Super Mario Land or Duck Hunt or Super Mario Bros

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I forced myself over the last hour to play a game and chose Paris again, because I still haven't opened the other levels on account of not really knowing what I'm doing

I wanted to try to get a kill with the sniper rifle from one of the gantries, like in the trailer, so I smuggled it in to the area below that stairway where the bozo is introduced

Instead I ended up overhearing someone say they had an invite to the auction, stole it, went upstairs (getting a challenge), (ed)sitting at the auction in my tux and getting a challenge for being Mr. Rieper, stole a cicada costume, garroted Dahlia in the bathroom (getting another challenge), found that she had lethal poison on her (:psyduck:), went downstairs, overheard yet another conversation about the other dork's favorite drink, stole a maitre'd suit, mixed it (yet ANOTHER challenge), poisoned him with it (challenge), and left (No Evidence, Master Assassin)

wtf just even happened

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 27, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay, I know that I'm late to the party and stuff, but I love how the Witcher 3 opens with two serious cutscenes that are all "this game is serious and you will do badass dark things" and I'm ready for the tutorial to be fighting werewolves or something, and it cuts to

This.

And well.

I mean, I wish I were playing as the witch as she's cooler already. (and playing as batman in a game is not new)

But I'll accept silly beefcake in that stead. :D

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I can't remember which game i beat first in my life (probably Mario 2), but i do remember i cried when i first beat Mario 3.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of amazing to me how long I was bad at video games. I know games have become easier but I've been playing games since I got an NES in 1988 and I don't think I started consistently beating games until the PS2 era and I don't think I became anything resembling good at them until the the PS3 era. It's amazing to me how many games I owned that I not only never beat, but never even got more than a few levels into.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ciaphas posted:

wtf just even happened

Kinda sounds like you fell in love.

But yeah, Margolis is a bit of a Mugatu, getting models to act as her hitmen. That's why she had the poison on her. You can meet with her as one of the models and she lays out the plan.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

*guitar riff* Did everybody have a good CHRISTMAS?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I received some money for christmas and I think I will try to get dungeons and dragons castle ravenloft board game for cheapish :D

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

*guitar riff* Did everybody have a good CHRISTMAS?

The Chinese food I had was mostly very good this year

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Where the gently caress am I gonna find castle ravenloft for a decent affordable price while still in good condition lol

Cheapest I've found is 50 bucks including s&h >:[

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Chinese food I had was mostly very good this year

Nice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I forced myself over the last hour to play a game and chose Paris again, because I still haven't opened the other levels on account of not really knowing what I'm doing

I wanted to try to get a kill with the sniper rifle from one of the gantries, like in the trailer, so I smuggled it in to the area below that stairway where the bozo is introduced

Instead I ended up overhearing someone say they had an invite to the auction, stole it, went upstairs (getting a challenge), (ed)sitting at the auction in my tux and getting a challenge for being Mr. Rieper, stole a cicada costume, garroted Dahlia in the bathroom (getting another challenge), found that she had lethal poison on her (:psyduck:), went downstairs, overheard yet another conversation about the other dork's favorite drink, stole a maitre'd suit, mixed it (yet ANOTHER challenge), poisoned him with it (challenge), and left (No Evidence, Master Assassin)

wtf just even happened

That is really good for an early "not really knowing what I'm doing" run!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm kind of starting to realize that once Opportunities or whatever you want to call special flagged events pass, everything is just on a circular loop isn't it

Dahlia will keep walking around upstairs in the auction area and getting a drink, other guy will walk around downstairs (getting a drink maybe), etc

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That is really good for an early "not really knowing what I'm doing" run!
You don't wanna know how many times I reloaded

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I beat two puzzles in Stephen's Sausage Roll. Heaven only knows if I'll clear any more.

's good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, Hitman is very much a puzzle game, if you look at the patterns long enough (and experiment, even if it ends up with you dying) you can see how to get in and get things done.

Seeing Silent Assassin Suit Only runs where players waltz through a room of hostile guards but always manage to be in everyone's blind spot and cause weird Rube Goldberg chain reactions is really cool

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It sort of makes me wonder what the "true" hitman experience is

Is it playing with all the helper stuff on, going for a high score and reloading the moment you get into Hunted or worse (like me!), or is it turning off all the help and never reloading or what

Answer's probably "whatever man have fun" but I'm bad at sandboxing, I need lines and theme park rides :v: (see: me not playing Kerbal Space Program much outside of career)

(edit) Also I can't stop loving laughing at the nonsense that is this giant bomb video of them hitmanning with arbitrary requirements. The requirements for killing Novikov are uh....... special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkOPrbj0yA&t=890s

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 27, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

It sort of makes me wonder what the "true" hitman experience is

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Whatever, man, have fun. Personally I spend a lot of time walking around at first, looking for some easy disguises. I play with the Opportunities set to Minimal, so it'll still give you basic information about what's expected of you, but not set any waypoints for you to follow.

Later on, I turn off the Detective Vision mode, and stop reloading whenever I get caught moving a body. But that's after ten or so runs of a particular level.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Do what you want in hitman. I need the opportunities on or i wont notice them and expeditiously run at my targets to shoot them in cold blood and run away around a corner and kill all the angry guys that i aggrod until its safe to walk away.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dear god i'm loving dying at this giant bomb hitmanning i couldn't breathe for about five minutes there

his first objective here is to kill Dahlia with a chef's knife while disguised as "HELMUT loving KRUGER" and uh, well, turn to 38 minutes in and watch for about a minute if this doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkOPrbj0yA&t=2280s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Whatever, man, have fun. Personally I spend a lot of time walking around at first, looking for some easy disguises. I play with the Opportunities set to Minimal, so it'll still give you basic information about what's expected of you, but not set any waypoints for you to follow.

Later on, I turn off the Detective Vision mode, and stop reloading whenever I get caught moving a body. But that's after ten or so runs of a particular level.

Oh, turns out I had Opportunities set to minimal. Had no idea the game straight up gave you waypoints on the full version

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

dear god i'm loving dying at this giant bomb hitmanning i couldn't breathe for about five minutes there

his first objective here is to kill Dahlia with a chef's knife while disguised as "HELMUT loving KRUGER" and uh, well, turn to 38 minutes in and watch for about a minute if this doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkOPrbj0yA&t=2280s

If you haven't seen previous Giant Bomb Hitman videos you should watch them, they are all quality content. Especially ones where Vinny is playing, and you get moments like this
https://fat.gfycat.com/GorgeousPerkyAmazontreeboa.webm

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it is great.

https://twitter.com/gamecolorwheel

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

I think it was Super Mario Bros 1 but I'm not sure because I played some Atari games on my older brother's system and NES games on my cousin's system before my little sister and I got the NES and this was a long time ago. The first game I remember beating and being excited about was Contra because you had to do the diagonal press on the dpad to beat the alien mini boss and it was hard for my little kid fingers to do it.

I think it's probably a pretty common experience for games goons to be "that little kid who is good at video games, gently caress him, he beat me at Street Fighter in front of my friends" so I have a question in return. What do you think these skills converted to as you grew up? Open-ended question.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I distinctly remember playing a lego Bionicle computer game years and years ago as a kid and discovering that I needed to wait until I'd hit the apex of my jump before double jumping instead of just tapping it twice from standing, and I think that's a pretty good example of one of the hundreds of little bits of knowledge that go into being "good at games". A lot of games require you to have a level of literacy in abstract game concepts, which I find pretty interesting. Like you can give someone who has never played a game an "easy platforming game" but they still won't be familiar with like, double jumping, or jumping on enemies' heads, or having to move right to advance, or that you should push all the buttons on the controller after you get a powerup to see if it does anything, etc etc. And with that Bionicle game it was that exact thing, where as a kid the tutorial had told me "press X twice to double jump" but I wasn't even aware that timing those actions was something I'd even have to consider.

I think all my l33t gaming experience has transferred to me as an adult is some little bits of vague knowledge from video game narratives or mechanics that used real-world concepts, and making me good at other video games. It's kinda funny just how few transferable skills come out of playing games because you're learning skills that are only applicable to virtual spaces. If I played a lot of baseball as a kid I'd be better at throwing and hitting things with bats, and all the creative play I did as a kid definitely contributed to me being more creative as an adult. But games just give you a rigid, abstract system and ask you to get good at it. I guess maybe playing a lot of games makes it easier to be introduced to like, pieces of computer software and get a handle on how they work? They haven't given me a lot though, honestly.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it is great.

https://twitter.com/gamecolorwheel

:coffeepal:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I get that, RedBones. When I was thinking about beating games as a kid and all the little nuances to things I learned that now mean my wife hands me the controller or phone when she's getting frustrated with a game I've never played before, confident I'll probably beat the thing that's endlessly stopping on her on my first or second try, I started wondering if it meant anything more than that. Do I have a better handle on patterns in nature? Did it make it easier for me to better understand technology? Something else? Or am I just now really good at playing games based on these arbitrary rules decided on and built on top of by game developers? I'm not sure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

I get that, RedBones. When I was thinking about beating games as a kid and all the little nuances to things I learned that now mean my wife hands me the controller or phone when she's getting frustrated with a game I've never played before, confident I'll probably beat the thing that's endlessly stopping on her on my first or second try, I started wondering if it meant anything more than that. Do I have a better handle on patterns in nature? Did it make it easier for me to better understand technology? Something else? Or am I just now really good at playing games based on these arbitrary rules decided on and built on top of by game developers? I'm not sure.

you have controller muscle memory, and speak the language of the medium.

my wife has to look at buttons to press them, won't touch a right analog stick, and misses things like cracked walls she needs to break all the time. shes a whiz at the games she grew up playing with her brother though like breaking pokemon over her knee or owning people at soul caliber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Criken has some silly HITMAN videos on YouTube too. I remember there being a great 'How Not To Play Hitman Blood Money' series too.

• Locked thread