Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Help I'm scared of the 1-3 dupes I have on all these great banners. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

kalensc posted:

Help I'm scared of the 1-3 dupes I have on all these great banners. :ohdear:

Congrats for having a bunch of good stuff already then, I guess? I wouldn't recommend pulling on a banner that you have more than one duplicate unless said duplicates would be useful for filling out synergy needs.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
what level of team is required for ultimate+ fights like the one that went up today? i spent some time trying to put together a team with what i had, everyone in 70+ with good sbs, wall and shout, etc. but I got killed before I could even get more than one sb off.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

I had a moment of weakness, but it turned out ok. Good thing I was defending the honor of Vanille BSB earlier, I guess.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Farg posted:

what level of team is required for ultimate+ fights like the one that went up today? i spent some time trying to put together a team with what i had, everyone in 70+ with good sbs, wall and shout, etc. but I got killed before I could even get more than one sb off.

This was my first time beating an ultimate!

What worked for me was taking the boss's counter attacks seriously and dedicating half my team to defense / healing. Also brought wrath so I could charge up breaks without attacking.

Ended up only attacking the boss with fire spells, osbs, and breakdowns. Worked much better than my first few attempts.

I don't have a medica, though, so you might not need to dedicate so much to avoiding damage.

My characters ranged from 65 to 80.

Maybe try bringing a RM with Terra's OSB. Two hits will knock off most of its health.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The pull is in! And I got two of Steiner's SSB armor.

... wait, is Steiner's SSBs fire based or.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

widespread posted:

The pull is in! And I got two of Steiner's SSB armor.

... wait, is Steiner's SSBs fire based or.

Hey. I got the exact same pull!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Piebald Hell posted:

baahaahahaha oh god.

Did my first 50 mithril pull.

Got the blood sword.

I DON'T EVEN HAVE TERRA YET.

I'm angrily glaring at my monitor right now. Just so you know.

Anyway, I was chuckling at this thread earlier because I thought it was silly that people were hoarding their MC3 lodes. Now I wanna break Kain and Vanille so they can take advantage of Orbfest exp and I have none (haven't rolled it off Roulette yet). Maybe I should just give in and spend 61 stamina on those FF5 bonus battles now...

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Shock Trooper posted:

Anyway, I was chuckling at this thread earlier because I thought it was silly that people were hoarding their MC3 lodes. Now I wanna break Kain and Vanille so they can take advantage of Orbfest exp and I have none (haven't rolled it off Roulette yet). Maybe I should just give in and spend 61 stamina on those FF5 bonus battles now...

Might not be a bad idea to do it now so that you can use orbfest to level them. If I remember correctly it takes as much XP to go from 80->99 as it does to go from 1->80

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Shock Trooper posted:

You've got an MC3 coming from the New Year banner here in a few days, and another from the FF14 event. And another, if you haven't gotten the one out of roulette yet. And another if you haven't finished the FF5 event.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
100 gem = tin armor
11 pull = abel's lance, which is exactly what I wanted so I'll stop there

351 mythril remaining

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I'm starting to reach the point where I have too many options, character wise, and it's hard for me to put together a team. So I'm going to list my relics here and hope one of you takes pity on me and helps out.

Luneth (Lust Dagger, Gungnir)
Wol (Blank Blade)
Beatrix (Lightbringer)
Firion (Sun Blade)
Desch (Ancient Sword)
Cyan (Mutsunokami)
Ramza (Iga Blade)
Kain (Abel's Lance)
Zack (Zack's Gloves)
Terra (Stardust Rod)
Vanille (Mistilteinn)
Lenna (Pride of Tycoon)
Edward (Dream Harp)
Hope (Hawkeye)
Tyro (Sentinal's Grimoire)
Sazh (Sirius)
Gordon (Flame Shield)
Ashe (Ashe's Defiance)
Relm (Luminous Robe)
Arc (White Mage Robe)
Onion Knight (Gauntlets)

Admittedly, that's quite a list, and I'm sure I could make a couple different parties. I'm not sure if my general A-team should be focused, or just take my best breaks. For instance, Dusk's Decree is great, but my only other lightning is Kain. Luneth is super good, but I've got no other real wind support. I've been using Luneth, Ashe, OK, Tyro, Arc, and that's worked fairly well, and I just tried setting up a holy team of Beatrix (imperil holy) , Firion holy BSB (with Ramza to swap for a dispel if the fight needs it), OK for general badassery, Tyro to Wall, and Vanille with her BSB. Any suggestions or alternate builds would be much appreciated.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mithross posted:

I'm starting to reach the point where I have too many options, character wise, and it's hard for me to put together a team. So I'm going to list my relics here and hope one of you takes pity on me and helps out.

Luneth (Lust Dagger, Gungnir)
Wol (Blank Blade)
Beatrix (Lightbringer)
Firion (Sun Blade)
Desch (Ancient Sword)
Cyan (Mutsunokami)
Ramza (Iga Blade)
Kain (Abel's Lance)
Zack (Zack's Gloves)
Terra (Stardust Rod)
Vanille (Mistilteinn)
Lenna (Pride of Tycoon)
Edward (Dream Harp)
Hope (Hawkeye)
Tyro (Sentinal's Grimoire)
Sazh (Sirius)
Gordon (Flame Shield)
Ashe (Ashe's Defiance)
Relm (Luminous Robe)
Arc (White Mage Robe)
Onion Knight (Gauntlets)

Admittedly, that's quite a list, and I'm sure I could make a couple different parties. I'm not sure if my general A-team should be focused, or just take my best breaks. For instance, Dusk's Decree is great, but my only other lightning is Kain. Luneth is super good, but I've got no other real wind support. I've been using Luneth, Ashe, OK, Tyro, Arc, and that's worked fairly well, and I just tried setting up a holy team of Beatrix (imperil holy) , Firion holy BSB (with Ramza to swap for a dispel if the fight needs it), OK for general badassery, Tyro to Wall, and Vanille with her BSB. Any suggestions or alternate builds would be much appreciated.

Yeah, I'd say Vanille/Tyro (support)/Beatrix/Firion/OK. That leaves your RW slot very open, and the Beatrix/Firion BSB beatsquad is strong. Alternately bring Gordon in place of Tyro for reverse wall and/or RW a wall.

Edit: also, why do you say your only other Lightning is Kain? You have Desch's Ancient Sword, which is a lightning-imperil. You can easily make a lightning team. Vanille/OK (support)/Desch (wrath)/Ashe (SB RM)/Kain (lifesiphon)

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 27, 2016

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

This was my first time beating an ultimate!

What worked for me was taking the boss's counter attacks seriously and dedicating half my team to defense / healing. Also brought wrath so I could charge up breaks without attacking.

Ended up only attacking the boss with fire spells, osbs, and breakdowns. Worked much better than my first few attempts.

I don't have a medica, though, so you might not need to dedicate so much to avoiding damage.

My characters ranged from 65 to 80.

Maybe try bringing a RM with Terra's OSB. Two hits will knock off most of its health.

i mean even with two terra osbs and a medica and wall/shellga, he's killing my healer before they have sb gauge and even firaga strike on my best attacker does like, 5k damage and I have 6 of them. i don't get what i'm missing to do all that damage and survive the counterattacks

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Hey just popping in to say that I am incredibly happy with Refia and Vanille's new BSBs and they are on the road to 99 town

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I'd say Vanille/Tyro (support)/Beatrix/Firion/OK. That leaves your RW slot very open, and the Beatrix/Firion BSB beatsquad is strong. Alternately bring Gordon in place of Tyro for reverse wall and/or RW a wall.

Edit: also, why do you say your only other Lightning is Kain? You have Desch's Ancient Sword, which is a lightning-imperil. You can easily make a lightning team. Vanille/OK (support)/Desch (wrath)/Ashe (SB RM)/Kain (lifesiphon)

I... I completely missed the lightning imperil on it. This is why I went looking for help. In the lightning setup, I assume I should be aiming for r1 lightning dive (which I should be able to make by the time orbfest ends), rLots lifesiphon, and count on Kain's BSB to keep him in dives?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mithross posted:

I... I completely missed the lightning imperil on it. This is why I went looking for help. In the lightning setup, I assume I should be aiming for r1 lightning dive (which I should be able to make by the time orbfest ends), rLots lifesiphon, and count on Kain's BSB to keep him in dives?

I don't have Kain's BSB, but I believe the general strategy is to do Lifesiphon x3 or 4, BSB, command 1, Lightning dive x2, command 2x2 or so, BSB, repeat. Obviously honing Lightning Dive would let you go longer without using the Ether command.

You'd want a pretty well-honed lightning spell on Desch too, since using Wrath to get the imperil going means only having 1 ability slot for actual offense.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Schwartzcough posted:

I'd dump Tyro, RW in Wall, and use Gordon, Sazh, or Ramza as support depending on synergy and SB utility for a given fight. Or make OK the support to fit in Ashe or Kain or Luneth.

Quick rundown of when you'd use each:
Gordon: best mitigation against attacks that ignore defense, his SB is a "reverse wall" or combined Attack/Magic Breakdown that stacks with both of those.
Sazh: Saves you an ability slot for Protectga and throws in a Big Regen for good measure. (Also +Mag which OK can and will benefit from if you few him as a Mage and spam command 2)
Ramza: Boss is Holy vulnerable, or you want more physical mitigation that stacks with someone else casting protectga.

Yeah, there are times where you'll want to RW in a 50% boostga or second 30% faithga and need to run your own wall, but for the vast majority of content, it'll be overkill versus being able to use more of and better toys of your own. And you have some very very good ones.

You also have the basis of a really solid Mage squad with OK/Sazh/Vanille/Ashe/Terra - swap in Hope for Terra against Holy vulnerable, or Edward for Sazh for a slightly more offense at the expense of some mitigation setup.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 27, 2016

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I've been pulling aggressively for the past few months and getting a lot of 1/11's to show for it. At least we have guaranteed 5's these days, and at least a few of them have been useful. This time around, I had enough to do one pull on the OSB1 banner, and got essentially the consolation prize, Terra's Enfire SSB. I'm not unhappy with it. I was hoping to get some kind of upgrade for Terra (I had Trance Fira and Trance Flood for her, but these are both extremely dated), and this qualifies. I also have Locke's BSB which is Imperil Fire, so that looks like it could be a powerful combo. I'm at 37 Mythril now, so no more pulls on this banner, but I should be able to pull on one of the later ones. Could wait for the FF14 banner, but I'm not really feeling it. Minfilia and Alphinaud aren't really favorite characters of mine, even if they are really good in this game.

Johnny Aztec posted:

How good is Yda's "Internal Release"?

Raises Mind of party and crit chance

It comes on a nice piece of synergy armor!

Seriously, there's rarely a need to buff MND. Buffing crit chance is a nice secondary effect, but not really worth a SB cast on its own. Maybe if we ever get another boss like Omega where we have to constantly hit it with Stop, then the MND boost could be useful.

Yda is a good character in her own right, having access to good weapons (swords/fists) and a skillset including Monk abilities (Meteor Crush) and Support 4 (breakdowns), but she has not been blessed with the strongest SB options thus far.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Jesus christ I just realized; I have two +wind gears including a dagger for weapons, and a +lightning spear. And a +wind armor. And I got it all in like, the last four draws.

Dragoons are now my good and cool friends. Well that escalated suddenly.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Dragoons often escalate suddenly in FF games.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Well, I decided I could afford two Pulls on OSB1 and still pile up enough Mythril for XIV...

Tin Armor and TERROR's Tiara in two separate (1/11)s...

At least I'm glad I still have the latter's BSB and could R2 Chain Firaga in time to chump Valigarmanda.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 27, 2016

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pulled hoping for anything but Platinum Sword or Thyrus so I got two Platinum Swords and a Thyrus.

At least now I have my first 8 star relic I guess

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Farg posted:

i mean even with two terra osbs and a medica and wall/shellga, he's killing my healer before they have sb gauge and even firaga strike on my best attacker does like, 5k damage and I have 6 of them. i don't get what i'm missing to do all that damage and survive the counterattacks

What was your party setup?

He apparently counters physical damage 30% of the time compared to magic 10% of the time. So possibly throw a mage team together?

Combo fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 27, 2016

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Did an 11, two of Kain's thingy, a Tin Armor, and a Tiara. A nice haul, and I always appreciate a Burst. Might be helpful for Valigarmanda too?

Still want to get a first OSB though, but I can be patient. It took a while for me to get the first burst.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My pattern of getting decent rolls I don't want continues; did one 11 and got Tin Armor and a Tiara, while chasing Blood Sword and Kain's BSB.

It's a booby prize enfire and another 10 Magic for Terra, who I now have every single relic for except her OSB, and armor + a non-terrible offensive SB for a realm I have bad synergy in. Eh. EH

I'll take it, but it'd own to get an exciting pull and/or the things I actually want some day.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Farg posted:

Are you still attacking him with physical attacks outside of the breakdowns? His damage goes way up if you spam physical.

If, instead of damage racing him, you take it slow and heal up after each counter you'll mostly only need to worry about the resist piercing aoe, which regen can cover.

His highest damage attack only happens after you physically attack him. Just don't attack.

Edit : Only use breakdowns if their duration is up.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 27, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Someone on Reddit said that if you pulled Refia's BSB, that Fires Within is actually a good thing to hone. The Enfire from the BSB boosts the attack power of Fires Within, plus there's the healing and the boost (+ATK -DEF) that stacks with Shout/Maria and OK's BSBs. Plus what else are you going to use all the Major Whites/Fires you're getting from this orbfest phase on?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Attestant posted:

Dragoons often escalate suddenly in FF games.

They tend to plummet after a brief peak.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

They tend to plummet after a brief peak.

Freya's an exception - in ideal circumstances she may peak but she never really comes down from that lofty position.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay, someone help me out with math. I have 104 mythril at the moment.

If I can ever get some goddamn chips, I have 6 mythril left on the roulette wheel.

10 from XIV, 10 from the following event. Two from the gyashl exchange (maybe 3?). 15 from the last 3 orbfest phases. Plus login bonuses.

Are we getting any gift mythril on New Year's?

Here's the only reason I'm asking: I kind of want to do a pull on the half price banner before it goes away tomorrow. But, I don't want to screw myself out of being able to pull on banner 3 and being able to do 2 pulls on XIV 1. Can I get enough mythril to do three full price pulls and a half price before the XIV event is over?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, someone help me out with math. I have 104 mythril at the moment.

If I can ever get some goddamn chips, I have 6 mythril left on the roulette wheel.

10 from XIV, 10 from the following event. Two from the gyashl exchange (maybe 3?). 15 from the last 3 orbfest phases. Plus login bonuses.

Are we getting any gift mythril on New Year's?

Here's the only reason I'm asking: I kind of want to do a pull on the half price banner before it goes away tomorrow. But, I don't want to screw myself out of being able to pull on banner 3 and being able to do 2 pulls on XIV 1. Can I get enough mythril to do three full price pulls and a half price before the XIV event is over?

25 for New Years and 9 more (10 if you haven't started it yet) from the Four Crystals event. Should be plenty.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I get that Tritoch's U+ fight is intended to be done with magic but Locke/Ramza/Noel/Vaan/Tyro don't care. 16-18k command 2s from Locke's BSB while everyone else was doing 6-8k (or 12k with thief's revenge) and Tyro just hung out dropping 1600hp aoe cures via a Vanille BSB. Ultimate Blizzaja hit for less than 1k while everything else was even weaker. Locke being able to stack his mug weapon atk/mag debuff on top of Noel and Vaan's debuffs was fun. I think the AOE Blizzagas were only doing 2-300 damage at one point. :laugh:

Sitting on 200 mythril and I kinda want to pull banner 1 again but it'd basically be chasing Vanille's BSB (I need a healer BSB, goddamn) but I might just go after the banner Eiko's on instead. Or wait for FF14 and chase 2-3 pulls there then save the rest for 2-3 pulls on FFT.

e: vvvv That too. Locke had his BSB up by the 3rd round because every early hit that wasn't AOE targeted him too, and using command 2 had his SB bar full before burst mode ended from the first use. Never bothered with a 3rd use of it but I look forward to the rest of the fights. Especially Rubicante because Tidus is going to break him in half.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 27, 2016

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Evil Fluffy posted:

I get that Tritoch's U+ fight is intended to be done with magic but Locke/Ramza/Noel/Vaan/Tyro don't care. 16-18k command 2s from Locke's BSB while everyone else was doing 6-8k (or 12k with thief's revenge) and Tyro just hung out dropping 1600hp aoe cures via a Vanille BSB. Ultimate Blizzaja hit for less than 1k while everything else was even weaker. Locke being able to stack his mug weapon atk/mag debuff on top of Noel and Vaan's debuffs was fun. I think the AOE Blizzagas were only doing 2-300 damage at one point. :laugh:

That's how I did it too. I used my mitigation party with Vaan and Agrias, and used Balthier's SSB to do big damage. All his ice spamming served to do was build my SB bars quicker.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Honestly Valigarmanda doesn't counterattack enough to make physical attacks a problem. I think in my killing attempt he countered all of once, and it didn't stop Refia from hammering his head flat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

25 for New Years and 9 more (10 if you haven't started it yet) from the Four Crystals event. Should be plenty.

Well then, if that's the case...

Well...that's not really great! I already had the first two, and I can't imagine using Sarah much. Though I guess mage-type synergy isn't too bad for FFI content, and this actually gives a sort of mini-Shout when combined with Echo's Hastening Gift.

Still, not the best pull I could've gotten, but hey, 6* Iga Blade and Fire Lash I guess!

e: Actually while the Iga Blade will definitely get combined, I think I'll keep the Fire Lashes separate. While not a lot of characters I have can use whips, I have enough of them with SSBs that having a second around could be pretty handy, especially since Faris can equip them too.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 27, 2016

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I knew that this banner was the riskiest, as it is the one with 3 dupes, but the desire to pull was too strong. I got a Tin Armor, a third Thyrus, and Platinum Sword! The latter was what I wanted as now I have both native walls and a shout. Finally having a good hastaga/boostga means I can possibly skip banner 5 too, and instead try to finally get some mage relics from the summoner nightmare banner.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loving finally have my shout! I blew lots of :20bux::20bux::10bux: on it before.

Also got Reifas BSB off the dolla pull... thank you FFRK gods.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i smushed my dupes from the banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

UHD posted:

Honestly Valigarmanda doesn't counterattack enough to make physical attacks a problem. I think in my killing attempt he countered all of once, and it didn't stop Refia from hammering his head flat.

Oh were you supposed to do this with a mage party? Because I just bashed that fucker in with Locke, Celes, and Refia's BSSB's.

• Locked thread