Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A Spider Covets posted:

I'm having this weird issue, wondering if anyone else is, too. It seems to happen whenever I make salted meat. My colonists will just eat EVERYTHING I have in storage en masse, none of them are binging, they just won't stop eating until all of the food is gone. I can order them to prioritize other tasks, but once they finish the tile I prioritized, they go back to eating.

Do they have mechanites or gut worms? Some diseases make colonists eat like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

A Spider Covets posted:

I'm having this weird issue, wondering if anyone else is, too. It seems to happen whenever I make salted meat. My colonists will just eat EVERYTHING I have in storage en masse, none of them are binging, they just won't stop eating until all of the food is gone. I can order them to prioritize other tasks, but once they finish the tile I prioritized, they go back to eating.

Same but in real life and only me

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

oohhboy posted:

Stop projecting.

Say what you will, I'm running an animal farm where nobody gets food poisoning.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It would be cool if pawns could bathe, and then for the next 16 hours or whatever they wouldn't track as much dirt around.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Slime posted:

Alternative solution: Rebuilding defeated mechanoids and make them into roombas. Roombas that constantly scheme murder.

So, just ordinary roombas then?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zigmidge posted:

Say what you will, I'm running an animal farm where nobody gets food poisoning.
Whether you run an animal farm or not is irrelevant. You are at the point where you have enough slack manpower capacity for your pawns to clean effectively.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

So, just ordinary roombas then?

P.much yeah.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
you're right oohboy, food poisoning is a problem that needs to be modded out. you're absolutely correct about everything and there are no ways around it. none.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zigmidge posted:

you're right oohboy, food poisoning is a problem that needs to be modded out. you're absolutely correct about everything and there are no ways around it. none.

If you not going to talk in good faith why bother.

Food poisoning is just something you have put up with until mid game. I could assign someone to clean earlier, but rather have them do something else more important.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Food poisoning is great it allows you to have statues made of your colonists vomiting.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a free paint job for your floors.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My colony's dog gets food poisoning all the time. My colonists only about once each.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Whether you run an animal farm or not is irrelevant. You are at the point where you have enough slack manpower capacity for your pawns to clean effectively.
You don't need a ton of manpower, you just need one assistant.

Get a worthless pawn (who can still haul and clean), limit them to the kitchen and food stockpile, set cleaning priority to high. The rest of your base can be a mess, but the important bits will get cleaned constantly. In their down time they can haul ingredients to the one tile stockpiles on stools next to the kitchen and take the meals back to the stockpile. If you're bothered by how idle this pawn ends up being, you could give them some busywork to do, like art, at a low priority.

You can have your kitchen in a really high traffic area no problem if it's got a dedicated janitor. It'll boost your food production a lot in general too.

If you're up for the micro, you can also keep the rest of your haulers out of the kitchen so they don't get in this pawn's way, and waste their time reserving a job to haul five units of rice to top off the kitchen stockpile.

Zigmidge posted:

This is a pretty over the top reaction to this discussion. Might want to take a step back.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

code:
float num4 = (!initiator.story.traits.HasTrait(TraitDefOf.Gay)) ? ((initiator.gender != Gender.Female) ? 1f : 0.15f) : 1f;
Tynan's OkCupid relationship system is fascinating. This line of code makes women 15% as likely as men to initiate a romantic attempt, unless they are gay.

e: This replaces the old system where that was the case for gay women too and it was 12.5%.

e2:
code:
float num7 = (initiator.gender != recipient.gender != (initiator.story.traits.HasTrait(TraitDefOf.Gay) != recipient.story.traits.HasTrait(TraitDefOf.Gay))) ? 1f : 0.15f;
No, Everyone's Bi

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 26, 2016

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No, Everyone's Bi

So it's now an bioware RPG? :v:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do my best not to micro hence my focus on man hours. I do get a dedicated hauler/cleaner eventually, but most of the time as the number of man hours goes up before that from more pawns, better moods, less construction, faster work so the problem solves itself.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

I find it really weird to watch it snow when it's 10 C outside

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Slime posted:

The amount of dirt pawns spread around is ridiculous. WIPE YOUR FEET YOU loving ASSHOLES.

Even worse is free running animals pooping everywhere, restrict those filthy motherfuckers

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Looks awful

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Flesh Forge posted:

Even worse is free running animals pooping everywhere, restrict those filthy motherfuckers

Scout is a Good Boy, he can go wherever he drat well pleases. :colbert:

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
The obvious solution to dirt is a one-time object "Doormat" that stops dirt tracking until they pass over another dirty tile.

EDIT: Beaten so many times.

Konig fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 27, 2016

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I come bearing gifts, of things that existed and that you did not look for, but did ask for:

Doormats

Cover your entire kitchen, nay, your entire world, with these, and let the clean times roll.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am the cow that steps across the doormat, wipes my hoofs, and takes a big giant dump 1 tile past it

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Flesh Forge posted:

I am the cow that steps across the doormat, wipes my hoofs, and takes a big giant dump 1 tile past it

you are the cow that then gets butchered for it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That is always the correct solution

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Beef Hardcheese posted:

But it's so much more efficient to just drop raw meat in a pile on the floor, walk over it to get to the stove, then drop the finished meal in a pile on the floor. :saddowns:

I mean it works for me irl, and if nothing else Tynan and his weird rear end name has shown he is up for putting dumb mechanics in game for the sake of reality.

I'm of course talking about leaving in the "Went to bandage a toe, ended up cutting out the spine" because uh, apparently that happened in medieval times? Which means it should happen in a space age technology setting?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I would just restrict animals from entering the kitchen.

I always have to fridges, one inside, one out, and the outside one get filled with haygrass and allows animals, and the inside one does not, and does not.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When one of its members is inured by a predator it is common for large herds of herbivores to turn on their attacker and kill it, and then go in search of more of that predator and push their poo poo in too

~verisimilitude~

McGiggins posted:

I would just restrict animals from entering the kitchen.

but that's the best place to slaughter them :confused:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
But handlers don't guide them there to be slaughtered. If an animal is set to be slaughtered, unless you have a kill area set up for those ones to be restricted to, then they aren't going to be in there anyway, and shouldn't lest they eat all your food.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that cleaning should be a quite early priority, as uncleanliness seriously decreases room quality and has knock on effects on colonist mood.

Happy colonists work harder, so the time spent cleaning may be offset by faster work rates, also the time not spent with 50% consciousness due to subsisting on a diet of amniotic fluid mixed with cow poo poo and a few grains of rice on top.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I'm of the idea that having dudes needing to poop and piss in this game is kinda silly, adding water would be okay but I could do without. Maybe focus more on the raiding aspect? It seems like if you attack an area you can't haul off the survivors for instance? I'm sure he has a bunch of plans and a whole 'nother series of updates just for raiding and tweaks but I think that should be worked on as its the new big toy we get. This game doesn't need some huge realism thing added in imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People don't need to poop and piss?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teikanmi posted:

Looks awful

I covered my fridge in Marble and Slate last night and could not disagree more

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I know right? :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hey wait a sec

code:
float num7 = (initiator.gender != recipient.gender != (initiator.story.traits.HasTrait(TraitDefOf.Gay) != recipient.story.traits.HasTrait(TraitDefOf.Gay))) ? 1f : 0.15f;
This has four possible outcomes:

Both are different genders (T) != one is gay (T) -> The initiator will not hit on the recipient
Both are different genders (T) != both are straight OR both are gay (F) -> The initiator will hit on the recipient
Both are the same gender (F) != one is gay (T) -> The initiator will hit on the recipient
Both are the same gender (F) != both are straight OR both are gay (F) -> The initiator will not hit on the recipient

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this formula would appear to cause straight men/women to hit on each other with equal frequency as gay men/women. The only people who DON'T (usually) hit on each other are straight men on gay women, straight women on gay men, gay men on straight women, and gay women on straight men, as well as gay men on straight men, straight men on gay men, gay women on straight women, and straight women on gay women. Which seems to be working as intended, except that straight men are all over other straight men, and likewise for straight women.

e: Nevermind, I see where I went wrong. So gay men will hit on straight men still (and vice versa, actually), but... gay men/women won't hit on each other?

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 27, 2016

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Holy gently caress Ludeon seriously needs to fix operations, it's a total crapshoot

Level 15 doctor fucks up 3 times in a row trying to install a peg leg and crushes patient to death

Way too hard to have successful operations now

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

girls don't poop

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Teikanmi posted:

Holy gently caress Ludeon seriously needs to fix operations, it's a total crapshoot

Level 15 doctor fucks up 3 times in a row trying to install a peg leg and crushes patient to death

Way too hard to have successful operations now

You have to use glitterworld medicine

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You have to use glitterworld medicine

I think that supports the point more than anything tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

That's not so much the argument I'm making, just that I don't see the point of it being added. What does it bring to the game? I won't be upset if it's added, I just don't see the point. I rather see improvements to the end game than worry about making showers and toilets.

Edit: Like with prison architect, it at least brings in the idea that your inmates use them to escape and hide items. It's also strictly a game of managing your inmates. I don't see the point of adding them is all.

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 27, 2016