Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

i am tim! posted:

Great! Tracking the right stone down is a pain in the rear end early on anyway, so it saves me the trouble.

Since I'll undoubtedly bore of powerstancing greatswords at some point, and since I'll have the dex and strength to make all sorts of weapons work well, what are some other good/cool/fun weapons to check out? My next stop for STR/DEX is going to be 30/40 since I can two-hand any of the larger, higher strength weapons if I decide I want to use one of those. Maybe push to 40/40 once I round out my other stats.

fist weapons are obviously the coolest + best, but ds2 is pretty good about weapon variation in general. halberds are neat and have a quirky moveset. warped sword powerstanced with another sword lets you spin for days. the partizan is really powerful and more versatile than most spears (it's got a sweeping attack in addition to the standard thrust).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Spears and polearms are uniquely good in this game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Are you sure? The halberd feels way worse than in DS1. I loved the gargoyle's one too and could get them on DS2 to perform as good.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The aiming on the blades is far more exact in this game, but once you've got the proper distance sorted out, yeah they can be nice.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I have like 12 faith and 5 int. 26 str 22 dex. do I just want to raw all my weapons i plan to use?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

I have like 12 faith and 5 int. 26 str 22 dex. do I just want to raw all my weapons i plan to use?
No. Raw won't get you nearly as much benefit as the default infusion (none) with those stats, since DS2 cracked down hard on stat-independent items that had become mildly degenerate in DS1. It mostly matters for getting some physical damage on an elemental build, or for boosting the rare few weapons with no scaling at all (like the Bluemoon Sword or Santier's Spear).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only event that raw would be good for most weapons is if you hadn't invested whatsoever in str/dex, and even then it's a crapshoot. You're almost always better off not bothering with infusion if you don't know what you're doing, DS2's infusion system is a little quirky.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
I have SOTFS, and I'm at the Undead Crypt. How much of the game do I have left (dlc excluded)?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Aging Millenial posted:

I have SOTFS, and I'm at the Undead Crypt. How much of the game do I have left (dlc excluded)?

there's an ok amount of content left, but you're entering the home stretch. i'd say you got 15-20 % of the game to go, maybe a little less if you skip some optional stuff. have you been to the dark chasms yet?

(the answer would obviously be different if we included the dlc areas, which are sizeable.)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Aging Millenial posted:

Not much, only a couple more zones.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
No Dark Chasms yet. Plan is to beat the game finally this short Christmas break, meaning today and tomorrow. Made lot of progress yesterday.

Gonna order some chinese food, then dig into more Souls.

Aging Millenial fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 26, 2016

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, you're very near the end. In SotFS, one of the major endgame zones can be skipped entirely and the one right after it was dialed waaaaaaaaaaay back in difficulty from vanilla.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
Whelp, Velstadt is too hard. His attacks drain 100% of my stamina, and his subsequent attacks pretty much finish me off. I am demoralized.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If you are dead set on blocking that giant hammer-chime, you could try a shield with more stability.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Blocking a hammer the size of a small car isn't a great idea, you'll want to dodge it. 99 agility is enough for a good dodge, if you don't have that, respec and put some points in ADP until you have it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
what was the reasoning for skipping that wholr zone? just that the game was dragging too much at that point? it was honestly one of the more memorable areas too

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

what was the reasoning for skipping that wholr zone? just that the game was dragging too much at that point? it was honestly one of the more memorable areas too

Dragon Aerie's really nothing more than a linear path with a whole bunch of goodies scattered around and copy-and-paste drakes to fight.The initial part was visually interesting but it's really sort of a slog to go through.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Vermain posted:

The initial part was visually interesting but it's really sort of a slog to go through.

Dark souls level design

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

Aging Millenial posted:

Whelp, Velstadt is too hard. His attacks drain 100% of my stamina, and his subsequent attacks pretty much finish me off. I am demoralized.

Got him!

Took off all my armor and dodged his strikes. Only took 20 times.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Aging Millenial posted:

Got him!

Took off all my armor and dodged his strikes. Only took 20 times.

The walk back to him always really pissed me off. I hate that big stupid room. :argh:

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

Decrepus posted:

The walk back to him always really pissed me off. I hate that big stupid room. :argh:

Yes. A crucial moment from for me around this area (before pulling the lever to create the short cut) was realizing I could just run past most of the enemies.

Anyway, is New Game + worth it?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Aging Millenial posted:

Yes. A crucial moment from for me around this area (before pulling the lever to create the short cut) was realizing I could just run past most of the enemies.

Anyway, is New Game + worth it?

Overall, no, but DS2 actually does have a few - usually minor - things here and there to make NG+ more interesting.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
DS2 actually gets the most changes in NG+ versus the rest of the series, but most of it is just extra monsters here and there. I like it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RyokoTK posted:

DS2 actually gets the most changes in NG+ versus the rest of the series, but most of it is just extra monsters here and there. I like it.

I probably should have specified that DS2 is also the only Souls game with a NG+ that's even remotely worthwhile, yeah.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Decided to finally start playing online and I thought it'd be fun to join the blue sentinels. I was hoping to get Targray's equipment the legit way this time but I had no idea that the requirements were so stupid. It can't really take 500 victories can it?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wanna know the worst part?

The only way to get his halberd is to kill him. He does not give it to you at max rank. It's like they forgot.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Wanna know the worst part?

The only way to get his halberd is to kill him. He does not give it to you at max rank. It's like they forgot.

That's great. Maybe that's why they made him such a dismissive dick. 500 victories is just insane, 50 alone would be an absolute chore.

Well the halberd looks great but I'm really not feeling the set. So much clothing in the game and most of it just doesn't look that good, especially if it shows any skin. Is there a reverse of the ring of the dead in the game? Hollowed skin is so much better than the dayglow skin of the living.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
One of the arena covenants doesn't just require 500 wins; it requires 500 more wins than losses.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

...! posted:

One of the arena covenants doesn't just require 500 wins; it requires 500 more wins than losses.

That's the Brotherhood of Blood. The Blue Sentinels just requires the 500 wins, but it still has a catch: unlike the Blood Arena, you have to use a Token of Fidelity to enter the Sentinel Arena.

That's right: not only do you need 500 wins for the Blue Sentinels, each of those wins needs to be paired with a successful boss kill in co-op.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

fist weapons are obviously the coolest + best, but ds2 is pretty good about weapon variation in general. halberds are neat and have a quirky moveset. warped sword powerstanced with another sword lets you spin for days. the partizan is really powerful and more versatile than most spears (it's got a sweeping attack in addition to the standard thrust).

Thanks! Sounds like trying a spear out would be pretty cool . I'm starting to get a biiiit sick of the slow swinging heavy weapons so I'm gonna give the Longsword a go. I've always dismissed it as being as "starter weapon" but everyone keeps saying it's the reliable standby. Is uninfused the way to go with Quality still?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

i am tim! posted:

Thanks! Sounds like trying a spear out would be pretty cool . I'm starting to get a biiiit sick of the slow swinging heavy weapons so I'm gonna give the Longsword a go. I've always dismissed it as being as "starter weapon" but everyone keeps saying it's the reliable standby. Is uninfused the way to go with Quality still?
Correct. I'm not one for longswords myself, but that's primarily a question of what sort of damage numbers I like to see, so if you like the moveset and their numbers then have fun. Spears, though, are drat fun and I encourage you to try two-handing one for a bit just to make heavy use of the range.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Got a longsword to about the same place I had my claymore and it's pretty good so far! I've changed my loadout to have the Longsword, Craftsman's Hammer and a Winged Spear in my right, the Stam Regen Shield and a bow in the left. I'm liking the light weight of it compared to what I had before, and two handing while using the shield for the stamina regen is proving to be pretty awesome! I didn't have enough titanite to get my Spear out of the small shard chokepoint, but it's still working pretty well with the range. I'll definitely have to pump it up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is there a weapon thats a good upgrade from the mace? feels weird to do endgame content with such a basic weapon even if its powerful

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Two maces. Craftman's hammer. Maybe the large and great clubs. Or, you know, just stick with the mace if that's what's working for you. The Souls series is a rarity in that your starting stuff can carry you all the way through the game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If you want strike damage, craftman's hammer or a greathammer like the large/great club. Bandit Axe is a good alternative and if you are going mainly for STR, the red rust scimitar is amazing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

That's the Brotherhood of Blood. The Blue Sentinels just requires the 500 wins, but it still has a catch: unlike the Blood Arena, you have to use a Token of Fidelity to enter the Sentinel Arena.

That's right: not only do you need 500 wins for the Blue Sentinels, each of those wins needs to be paired with a successful boss kill in co-op.

You can rank up the Blue Sentinels through blue invasions, which is how I got my rank 3 initially. And you can farm cracked blue eye orbs a lot faster than fidelity tokens. It's really a lot easier than ranking up a red, because you can't lose points.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Working my way through this with the Scholar of the First Sin edition I got back in May but never finished after fiddling out at Harvest Valley with the initial release.

Just beat the Iron King. Feels good, man. Dunno how I'm liking the upped difficulty. I feels like a bunch of "well let's just toss an extra enemy or two at 'em, and lots from places they can't see, oh and let's have pursuer fights god drat everywhere." Still, I'm enjoying it after a long hiatus.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just got that king ring and I have a couple of questions.

Is the bonfire behind the door next to cardinal tower useful for anything at all? What's the point? Nowhere to go from there.

What is left for me to do in this game? I know there's crowns in the 3 places I can teleport to. Anything else?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There's the DLC stuff (the crowns), plus several new places to access with the King's Ring. (All are in some way necessary to the endgame, so if you've found one the existence of others isn't really a spoiler.) That bonfire is one of them, though for the moment you can't make progress there. Try looking around for the other doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
in case you've already looked around and want a more explicit answer where to go: open the door in the shaded woods