Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
No, but their tendency to bundle minor things along with everything else every 6 months is baffling. I'd expect these to be bimonthly at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Back when the game was just out of beta, updates were drat near weekly, almost every Tuesday. After Horizons dropped they seem to have slowed down their pace somewhat - the updates are big as hell but more rare. I honestly can't decide which I'd prefer more, though I think I'd enjoy a golden median with frequent balance updates/tweaks/minor bug fixes when necessary and these big content updates when they're done - somebody looks to have decided to just pack everything into the new content updates when those are ready.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Drake_263 posted:

Back when the game was just out of beta, updates were drat near weekly, almost every Tuesday. After Horizons dropped they seem to have slowed down their pace somewhat - the updates are big as hell but more rare. I honestly can't decide which I'd prefer more, though I think I'd enjoy a golden median with frequent balance updates/tweaks/minor bug fixes when necessary and these big content updates when they're done - somebody looks to have decided to just pack everything into the new content updates when those are ready.

They slowed down the update schedule due to the amount of complaints they got from people about things getting broken (due to less time in QA), and also a few memorable "every time I want to play I have to download an update" types.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mu77ley posted:

They slowed down the update schedule due to the amount of complaints they got from people about things getting broken (due to less time in QA), and also a few memorable "every time I want to play I have to download an update" types.

Some of those people were ITT :jeb:

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
:sonia:17 Draconis Update: :sonia:

So, I turned in a few of those donate to the cause missions for New 17 Draconis Alliance and now my mission board is full of skimscum destroy the enemy ship missions.
We are back in business!

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Chrysophylax posted:

No, but their tendency to bundle minor things along with everything else every 6 months is baffling. I'd expect these to be bimonthly at worst.

Basically, if you're doing QA properly then every time you release changes you're going to be redoing regression testing first. Bundling changes as much as possible reduces the total work to get those changes out the door.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I get that. I didn't mean those sorts of changes though. The engineer recipes we're getting now, for instance, and balance issues aside, were things that were on the game on the 2.1 beta. Why are we only getting them 7 months later?

That's the sort of content I meant.

E: I also get that the answer is likely the same. I'm mostly bitching that their glacial pace, well, makes me bitch.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

timn posted:

Basically, if you're doing QA properly then every time you release changes you're going to be redoing regression testing first. Bundling changes as much as possible reduces the total work to get those changes out the door.

If you're doing QA properly most of your tests are automated hth

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Didn't they add efficient beams in the beta? Anyone want to report on what that does for a tricked out Corvette? I love C4 beams but that power capacitor draw!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Didn't they add efficient beams in the beta? Anyone want to report on what that does for a tricked out Corvette? I love C4 beams but that power capacitor draw!

So, I'm running 2 x Huge MCs, 1 x Large Pulse, 2 x Med Pulse, 2 x Small MC (all gimbals)...how wrong am I?

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?

Apple Craft posted:

So, I turned in a few of those donate to the cause missions for New 17 Draconis Alliance and now my mission board is full of skimscum destroy the enemy ship missions.
We are back in business!

I am also at Draconis. Would like to report it's a very good spot for donation missions at the moment for Fed rep if you don't like the courier grind.

spending a lot of time relogging for the massacre missions from the order though zzz

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So, I'm running 2 x Huge MCs, 1 x Large Pulse, 2 x Med Pulse, 2 x Small MC (all gimbals)...how wrong am I?

Small, medium, and large kinetic weapons do reduced damage against medium and large size ships. Huge kinetic weapons deal full damage to all ships, as do thermal weapons of any size. So may be better to run 2x huge MCs (as you've done) and the rest of the hard points with lasers.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Small, medium, and large kinetic weapons do reduced damage against medium and large size ships. Huge kinetic weapons deal full damage to all ships, as do thermal weapons of any size. So may be better to run 2x huge MCs (as you've done) and the rest of the hard points with lasers.

Specifically small lasers still do reduced damage to large hulls but shields give no fucks about gun/hull sizes. In general it's more efficient to go with big kinetic weapons for a fast kill on bare hulls and reserve your smaller hardpoints for lasers to get them that way.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Drake_263 posted:

Specifically small lasers still do reduced damage to large hulls but shields give no fucks about gun/hull sizes. In general it's more efficient to go with big kinetic weapons for a fast kill on bare hulls and reserve your smaller hardpoints for lasers to get them that way.

Also, the bigger kinetic weapons look and sound awesome so it's the right choice always regardless.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Counterpoint: C4 beams

Edit: which with R5 efficient mods are perfectly viable in the beta :getin:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 27, 2016

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Tippis posted:

Also, the bigger kinetic weapons look and sound awesome so it's the right choice always regardless.

I still need to try dual C3 cannons/C2 lasers on my FedAss.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Yeah, I guess I'm getting a chrome cutter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZXSQXFIn3M

after seeing the atmospheric effects on the chrome plates, it's just no contest.

Kavros fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 27, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So...

I'm at 17 Draconis with my Fed rear end.

How do I make money? All the missions were for like 200k...

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

H13 posted:

So...

I'm at 17 Draconis with my Fed rear end.

How do I make money? All the missions were for like 200k...
You have to do a stack of poo poo missions to get your rep up.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

You have to do a stack of poo poo missions to get your rep up.

...Okay, how does that work? Small words and crayons might be helpful here

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Stack all those 200k missions, go to the planet base, kill the skimmers, log out, log in, kill the skimmers, log... Keep doing that until your contracts are completed, kill yourself, respawn at the station, hand in missions, jump up to friendly status, take missions (now you should be getting 7 figure missions), go to plane... Now you should be allied, take missions (now you should be getting the odd 8 figure missions)...

Keep doing until you've broken the game's non existent economy

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

DarthBlingBling posted:

Keep doing until you've broken the game's non existent economy
I like how some people seem genuinely upset that people are doing this:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/311160-17-Draconis-exploit

quote:

Many players have taken up to a year to earn a billion credits, using this exploit this amount can be earned in a matter of hours. The game is creating two tiers of player, those who are willing to abuse and exploit this mechanic, and those who are not. Exploiting is rewarded, while following the rules is not.

That being said, last night I was getting a lot of high paying missions. This morning I was getting more donations from the Order than anything else. Took me about 30 minutes to just get 10 missions. Though they were all pretty good payouts.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Turmoil posted:

I like how some people seem genuinely upset that people are doing this:

The best part of these is that the entire transaction is some jackass screaming "People are making money!" and Frontier saying "Well, that must be a bug! I'll pass it on!" every single time. Then you just get the usual dumb rants about divine intent and filthy casuals.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I touched the poop, briefly.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

H13 posted:

...Okay, how does that work? Small words and crayons might be helpful here

You want to check who owns the ground base at 17 draconis and take massacre missions that target said owner.

To stack, you simply accept as many missions as you can, log out, log into another game mode, and repeat till you have 20 or you're bored.

Then you take a small ship that you ideally already have there (like a sidewinder, or a viper) equipped with dumbfire missiles, fly over (jump out and back in, saves you 8000Ls), missile the poo poo out of the skimmers, log out and back in to repopulate the skimmers, repeat until all your missions are completed. Then self-destruct so you avoid a 9000Ls trip back to the station. Turn in all the missions.

Repeat until filthy rich.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 27, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Chrysophylax posted:

You want to check who owns the ground base at 17 draconis and take massacre missions that target said owner.

To stack, you simply accept as many missions as you can, log out, log into another game mode, and repeat till you have 20 or you're bored.

yeah but what do i do?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Kinda forgot a few important steps didn't I? :v:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
If Frontier could actually get a meaningful system of economic interactions between players going, you know like EVE and X series stuff with factories and extraction and logistics, then these people would have a point. But they won't anytime this decade, so they don't. It would be fun to see how they reset the finances of the playerbase for such an event, though. Like give us a year of crisis where credits no longer have any recognized value and madness abounds.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Sard posted:

If Frontier could actually get a meaningful system of economic interactions between players going, you know like EVE and X series stuff with factories and extraction and logistics, then these people would have a point. But they won't anytime this decade, so they don't. It would be fun to see how they reset the finances of the playerbase for such an event, though. Like give us a year of crisis where credits no longer have any recognized value and madness abounds.

I would like to see them do something like make it so you could rent your stored ships out to NPCs.
Make some money and get something towards your trade rank as an NPC runs an A-B route for 8 hours.

Could you imagine the outrage if something like that were to be implemented?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Frontier forums are full of idiots.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/311160-17-Draconis-exploit?p=4830531&viewfull=1#post4830531 posted:

absolutely no risk.

Chrysophylax posted:

Then self-destruct

We've explicitly stated that you lose your ship as part of the process. How's that "no risk," Mr. smartypants?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
^lol

:unsmigghh:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I can only imagine how deadly they are :getin:

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

If you're doing QA properly most of your tests are automated hth

Depends on your situation, it's not a panacea.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

I can only imagine how deadly they are :getin:

It's a huge jump even from Deadly. She fights at close quarters and never lets up, and isn't easily shot down either.

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?

Counterpoint: C4 beams

Edit: which with R5 efficient mods are perfectly viable in the beta :getin:

Thank you for this info. I actually had run double huge Fixed Beams on my Vette and was just having the most satisfying time of my life, until I ran into power problems that I had to change my loadout.

Target shields offline :getin:

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Chrysophylax posted:

Kinda forgot a few important steps didn't I? :v:

More importantly you said missiles when you meant mines.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Are there any gimmick turret-only ships/builds that aren't terrible? If I can make it to D17 in time to replenish my accounts, I'll be looking for another stupid project to undertake pretty soon.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've been eyeing this one for awhile and I pulled the trigger on it during the steam sale. So far I've put like 10 hours into it. I know that I just want to be a space trucker complete with piss jugs for immersion. However, my God, the grind to save up the creds to upgrade from a Sidewinder to something with better cargo capacity is brutal.
Most of the missions I first accepted were to systems that are way too far out and unexplored so I couldn't plot a course to them. This game really sucker punches you when you start out, doesn't it?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Welcome to the space truckin' reality.

If you can get the money for it, I recommend jumping into a Cobra Mk. III and doing some rare commodity loops, that'll get you some good money so you can upgrade to a type 6 or something for extra capacity.

ETA: Don't bother with the Hauler. It only gets a measly 22 tons of cargo capacity when maxed out and that won't get you much of anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

frogge posted:

I've been eyeing this one for awhile and I pulled the trigger on it during the steam sale. So far I've put like 10 hours into it. I know that I just want to be a space trucker complete with piss jugs for immersion. However, my God, the grind to save up the creds to upgrade from a Sidewinder to something with better cargo capacity is brutal.
Most of the missions I first accepted were to systems that are way too far out and unexplored so I couldn't plot a course to them. This game really sucker punches you when you start out, doesn't it?

Unfortunately the starting sidewinder's jump range is criminally low. Make the fsd your first upgrade when you can afford it. You can later sell the modules and get 100% of the money back, so it's safe.

If you want to short circuit most of the starter ships really fast, find a Resource Extraction Site (not a hazardous one, always found around planets with rings, usually gas giants or dwarf stars), stick with the cops as they kill people and land a shot on their target just before they die. Payouts will range from 10k to 200k per ship killed, in bounty vouchers. This can also be done at Nav Beacons. Go to a station to redeem the bounty bouchers, get out of the lovely starter ship.

• Locked thread