Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But man did they nail that 2013 Nexus 7. Still have two of them working great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The Nexus 10 is not exactly regarded as one of their better efforts. Actually all of the Nexus tablets have had their issues with the exception of the 2013 Nexus 7. The Xoom, the 2012 N7, the N10, and the N9 were all pretty lovely each for their own reasons.

Oh god, the Xoom, I had totally forgotten about that. It's a Motorola device though, not Google, so I'm not sure why you brought it up? :confused:

I agree that the N9 is pretty notorious, and the N7 2013 is great (still use mine daily!) but I was curious what you were referring to with the N7 2012. I still have one lying around here that I don't use because it's so slow, but otherwise it has nice fit & finish; what's lovely about it besides being old & slow?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

Oh god, the Xoom, I had totally forgotten about that. It's a Motorola device though, not Google, so I'm not sure why you brought it up? :confused:

I agree that the N9 is pretty notorious, and the N7 2013 is great (still use mine daily!) but I was curious what you were referring to with the N7 2012. I still have one lying around here that I don't use because it's so slow, but otherwise it has nice fit & finish; what's lovely about it besides being old & slow?
Trash-grade flash that slowed to a crawl after a year or two, screens half detached out of the box, a sound chip that often destroyed itself, and a pretty mediocre SoC. Just off the top of my head.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
On mine, the battery would come disconnected of its own volition, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Depends on a Nexus what. I was/am pretty happy with my Nexus 10; not all Nexus releases are full of lemons.

I wasn't really arguing that the Nexus were lemons, just that the Pixels were a step above, even for the good Nexii. The hardware-specific optimisation is really noticeable.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 27, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Nexus 10 is so godawfully slow compared to Snapdragon 820 driving a 1080p display. It's so slow I don't want to use my tablet anymore. Sadly the screen is 1/4 of Nexus 10's screen, and I wish someone made a new tablet with modern chipset. No one's going to ever make one anymore though, rip tablets

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

My Nexus 10 is so godawfully slow compared to Snapdragon 820 driving a 1080p display. It's so slow I don't want to use my tablet anymore. Sadly the screen is 1/4 of Nexus 10's screen, and I wish someone made a new tablet with modern chipset. No one's going to ever make one anymore though, rip tablets
Pixel C is pretty great, though it was a little better value back when it was £100 off with the dev discount.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Tunga answered your second question (I was mainly referring to the self-destructing storage) but as to the first, the Xoom was close enough to a Google device to call it one. The images were hosted with the other Nexus images at the time though they aren't there now. It even has a Google codename: Wingray.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the Xoom can be placed in the same category of the OG Droid. They launched a huge jump in android version and had the first large push in device/specs. They're Nexus in all but name.

Pixel is really almost the same. Every single time Google wants to push android forward, they go back to Verizon for a partnership.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I'm completely satisfied with my Fire Hd 8 and I always pick it up before my 2013 N7.

There are just a couple apps that I wanted to use that weren't on the Amazon appstore, so I installed the Google Play Store on it and got those. (this is very easy to do, just install a few APKs)

I installed my TTRSS reader app, Chrome, and Moon+ via the Play Store.

It's an OK tablet made amazingly great by the price.

I just got an HD8 for Christmas and I feel the same way. It's very impresive, epecially for the price, and Amazon's OS is more than sufficient for browsing the web, watching YouTube, and using all of Amazon's Prime services. My 2013 Nexus 7 - which I love - is getting some much-needed rest.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the Xoom can be placed in the same category of the OG Droid. They launched a huge jump in android version and had the first large push in device/specs. They're Nexus in all but name.

Pixel is really almost the same. Every single time Google wants to push android forward, they go back to Verizon for a partnership.

Best part about the Xoom was that you had to mail it in to activate (install?) the 3g modem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Best part about the Xoom was that you had to mail it in to activate (install?) the 3g modem.

The 4g modem (LTE).

Ah back during the days where manufacturers had to make their own LTE modems.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The best part was how it only rendered half the screen at a time.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

The best part was how it only rendered half the screen at a time.

Wrong, the best part was they grew bloated so as to take after their masters.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Tunga posted:

Pixel C is pretty great, though it was a little better value back when it was £100 off with the dev discount.
FYI there's a $100 discount for the 64 GB version currently. And $50 off the keyboard! (Not the folio one though :negative:)

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Looking for a new tablet with a certain set of criteria. I don't know a whole lot about tablets, so I'm not sure if I'm way off the mark here on expectations.

• Relatively inexpensive, $200-300 maybe, but I can wiggle on this
  • Decent screen size, at least 10" probably
  • Decent battery life, 4-6 hours or more preferable
  • Ability to install steam and play older or less intensive games like Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Mark of the Ninja, Factorio, Terraria, Prison Architect, FTL, stuff like that. None of that "stream games from your PC or the cloud for a monthly fee" poo poo though. I don't have high hopes for performance or reliability over wireless, and I'd like to be able to use it in a car for example. I want to be able to download the games and play them locally. I guess this would mean Windows tablets only, right?
  • Enough storage to facilitate installing a few games
  • Keyboard optional
  • USB inputs? Either for a small portable mouse or maybe steam controller

Also, how does that work with tablets and cellular signal? Aren't those more expensive? Does it tie in with your phone company for additional monthly charge or what? I don't really need cellular though, wireless would be just fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Praxis Prion posted:

Ability to install steam and play older or less intensive games like Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Mark of the Ninja, Factorio, Terraria, Prison Architect, FTL, stuff like that. None of that "stream games from your PC or the cloud for a monthly fee" poo poo though. I don't have high hopes for performance or reliability over wireless, and I'd like to be able to use it in a car for example. I want to be able to download the games and play them locally. I guess this would mean Windows tablets only, right?

This is absolutely going to require a full x86-64 Windows tablet, and you're not going to find anything that really works at that price point. On top of that, you will absolutely need a pointing device and keyboard to play those games, they're barely going to work with just touchscreen control.

If it weren't for the fact you wanted to play Factorio I'd actually recommend getting an old Thinkpad X61 Tablet, which is a convertible tablet from about 2009, whose screen spins around and then locks down flat to cover the keyboard. They go for about $100 on ebay these days, and with a fresh extended battery bought (which companies in China still make) and a cheap SSD replacing the hard drive, it can last up to 8 hours on a charge with light stuff, though obviously intense games are going to reduce that time to more on the order of 4 hours. The integrated graphics, 1.5-1.8 ghz Core 2 Duo CPU and native 1024x768 resolution are more than enough to handle the older games and some of the lower res newer games you mentioned (but again, can't really handle Factorio).

As it stands, since you want Factorio, you're just going to have to look around for someone selling like a used Surface Pro within your price range. You don't want any of the "Windows RT" Surfaces because those have ARM cpus and can't run your games.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 31, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Your best bet is to get a Windows tablet if you want to do anything with Steam and these games. There are infinity engine games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale for android, but they are ports, so don't expect to be able to use mouse and keyboard with them.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Surface Pro 4's will be going cheap on sale again next year since the new ones will be coming out, I picked up the basic version and it runs older games great. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqQMrEDV_E

Save up until then is my advice, or get it on 0% interest credit if you must.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'll be quite sad once my N7 dies as the battery life isn't like it's new and storage is running down a bit. So far there's been no hint of a new 7" tablet and larger tablets are just awkward to carry. Does this mean everyone has moved up to 10" or smartphones?

I don't play games on N7 as I like to use it as e-reader/email/docs/YT so I feel like NVIDIA SHIELD tablet K1 is overkill.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be honest, I think barely anyone uses the K1 for games. It's just a really well-priced small size tablet.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I barely use my N7 for games. I mostly use it for reading forums, web browsing and watching netflix/videos at bed. It's also an awesome tablet for travels and long work shifts. If it dies someday it'll be hard to replace to be honest.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

MikeJF posted:

To be honest, I think barely anyone uses the K1 for games. It's just a really well-priced small size tablet.

This. I bought one for my wife because it's the best tablet in that form factor, period. She mostly uses it for reading. I borrow it sometimes to watch an episode or two of TV shows on the go. It's cheap, it's powerful, it's almost perfectly stock Android, and it has a gorgeous screen. There's literally no reason not to buy it if you're looking for a replacement for an N7.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just swappa'd my 2013 N7 32g for $120.........a Shield is probably going to replace it unless I decide to go up over 9". It's only going to be used for couch surfing, email and watching burned movies on train commute.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Keyser S0ze posted:

I just swappa'd my 2013 N7 32g for $120.........a Shield is probably going to replace it unless I decide to go up over 9". It's only going to be used for couch surfing, email and watching burned movies on train commute.

You guys who are just doing this basic poo poo on your tablet should look at an amazon Fire HD 8. I really don't see how the extra cost of the Shield is worth it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

You guys who are just doing this basic poo poo on your tablet should look at an amazon Fire HD 8. I really don't see how the extra cost of the Shield is worth it.

Yea this is p much the extent of what I do and the HD 8 is fine for it

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

I'm attached to the Google Play store and I read their apps don't always work well w/Fire tablets.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Installing the play store is trivial and I haven't had issue with any of the apps I've installed from it

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I use mine almost exclusively for gaming, but I play games that could probably run on the crappiest of phones/tablets.

The shield hub is just like 'tegra zone app' was, supposedly the place to find games that required/took advantage of the greater power available but since nobody makes those kinds of games they just put anything/everything there now to flesh out the library.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Thermopyle posted:

Stock Android. And I use Nvidia's streaming to a lesser extent, I know you can use Moonlight for it, but the official app is just plain better from my experience. That's worth the extra money to me though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

G-Prime posted:

Stock Android. And I use Nvidia's streaming to a lesser extent, I know you can use Moonlight for it, but the official app is just plain better from my experience. That's worth the extra money to me though.

So, I'm completely about stock Android. I wouldn't buy a non-Nexus or non-Pixel phone. In fact, I would have said the same thing about tablets a month ago, but I bought the HD8 on impulse for $40.

But if you're one of these people I'm talking about who only watches videos, reads books, uses Chrome...stock Android doesn't make much difference. And what little difference you're likely to encounter is easily made up for most people by the fact that a Fire HD 8 is 50 bucks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

And what little difference you're likely to encounter is easily made up for most people by the fact that a Fire HD 8 is 50 bucks.

The Fire HD 8 is $90.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The launcher is bad on the fire but I seriously use like three apps so I just use the recent window switcher and avoid the launcher altogether

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The new release HD 8 i was looking at was (with a moko case) around $150........so I figured the Shield might be worth the extra $30-$40. Heck if I know....they'd both prob be good for what I need it for (reading SA and farting around).

If I really want to go bigger i'd probably just go re-furb or Swappa Ipad Air2 to be honest.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The Fire HD 8 is $90.

Yeah, I messed up and I typed what I paid for it.

Same thing applies. If you use a tablet for content consumption with like 3 apps, you'll likely be well-served by the thing.

Keyser S0ze posted:

The new release HD 8 i was looking at was (with a moko case) around $150........so I figured the Shield might be worth the extra $30-$40. Heck if I know....they'd both prob be good for what I need it for (reading SA and farting around).

If I really want to go bigger i'd probably just go re-furb or Swappa Ipad Air2 to be honest.

The HD 8 is 90 dollars unless you start pumping up the accessories and storage. If you need more than 16GB then the value proposition starts dropping.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I messed up and I typed what I paid for it.

Same thing applies. If you use a tablet for content consumption with like 3 apps, you'll likely be well-served by the thing.

The HD 8 is 90 dollars unless you start pumping up the accessories and storage. If you need more than 16GB then the value proposition starts dropping.

Yeah I see the 16gb w/ads version is $89............I was going for this combo although with SD I could go with a 16gb:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking for an inexpensive tablet around the size of an iPad mini to read comics on. Being OTG compatible is a plus but not necessary. Any recommendations?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm looking for an inexpensive tablet around the size of an iPad mini to read comics on. Being OTG compatible is a plus but not necessary. Any recommendations?

Fire HD 8

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Can you install apps that aren't on Amazon's store yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Just install the Google Play Store on it.