Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
An open letter to Privateer Press: My dissertation on spam and its disruptive effects on the heterodoxy of the design space. 1/78

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
A literal slap in the face

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
So when i select a theme list in warroom that says no character beasts it still lets me use mulg with hoarluk and dozer with gunnbjornn. Is that a rule i'm missing or a warroom fuckup?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jimmy Hats posted:

So when i select a theme list in warroom that says no character beasts it still lets me use mulg with hoarluk and dozer with gunnbjornn. Is that a rule i'm missing or a warroom fuckup?

The rule for bonds in the core rulebook allows a character beast to be used with it's 'lock in theme lists.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

Jimmy Hats posted:

It's the former. Check out the theme force rules.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

S.J. posted:

The rule for bonds in the core rulebook allows a character beast to be used with it's 'lock in theme lists.

Ah so the affinity is also the old special issue rule too? Cool.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Nice! That means i can do the following...

Power of Dhunia
Gunnbjornn
-Runebearer
-Glacier King
-Dozer+Smigg
-Bomber
-Blitzer
Krielstone+UA+Sorceror
Janissa
Whelps

12 pts of free poo poo without having to go crazy on the model count seems p decent. Getting the upkeeps out for free lets you fuel the stone and run turn1 which is rad as hell.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The blitzer should prolly be a mauler but w/e

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Hats posted:

The blitzer should prolly be a mauler but w/e

This literally always.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm an armchair consumer rights advocate and I'm here to talk to you about invalidated purchases for 10 pages

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
loving SJWs ruining the game by censoring what lists I can bring!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Beserkers would be good against shield walls or meat mountains, and the mad dog would mess up my twiggy tharn. But all those things are bad now.

Good against meat mountain, you say?

Well, champs are def 14 in melee and berserkers are mat 5, and karchev can't boost their attack rolls with his feat. So good fuckin' luck on that one. Against stuff like warders or shield walled single wound infantry, def 12 means they're missing half the time and some shield wall infantry is def 13. And if you put them into shock troopers two pow 16s isn't enough to drop a single one unless they're boosted. So success there, two boosted 16s on karchev's feat and the warjack kills one trooper and the berserk takes a second one to half health.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Fyrbrand posted:

This literally always.

Nah just that one time

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Any of you trollbros ever take the Dhunian Knot? They seem good.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They're pretty good. Not as good as the Mk2 version where you could re-roll a single die or both, but still neat. They're just harder to justify in Mk3 where support is relatively more expensive. They're absolutely worth it in any list that relies heavily on certain rolls like Grim2's Mortality, or a Grissel2 knockdown shot.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

They're pretty good. Not as good as the Mk2 version where you could re-roll a single die or both, but still neat. They're just harder to justify in Mk3 where support is relatively more expensive. They're absolutely worth it in any list that relies heavily on certain rolls like Grim2's Mortality, or a Grissel2 knockdown shot.

That's kind of what I was thinking, thanks. I'm still trying to figure out some of these guys. I wanna take whelps in every list but I have no idea if I actually should. I'm about to start playing some proper games soon though so I can start beating my head against the wall.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I was working on Calandra/2x Bomber/1x Mauler list that ran a Dhunian Knot and basically just plopped down in the middle of the table and refused to move until it died. I think i've moved on, but thematically it seemed very fun. Calandra + Dhunian Knot seem made to be played together.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Just got a unit of Long Riders for 40% off. Shame they will sit for a bit till I'm back in trolls but I'll have them at the ready.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I take them with any caster that has have their gun/spell hit that has to hit or they get nothing. Grim2 with mortality, madrak 1, grissel2, jarl. All of them or even bombers and maulers make great use out of that reroll.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I've been eyeballing them for fishing impaler crits because hells yeah but they're kinda expensive $$wise

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So i guess the cygnar thread melted down more an is making Skorne salt look tame.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Are you talking about this thread? http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?266076-Cygnar-Errata-Dec-21-2016-discussion-thread-Closed-Until-Further-Notice

I stay away from the PP forums and just like to hear about it from you guys and go try to find it after you talk about it. I did learn a new word today.

"I'm totally fine with Haley2 and Caine2 nerfs, but Haley1 is totally inconcepible for me."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

<THREAD>
I'm hearing this meme that says how PP hates Cygnar, wants to burn Haley players alive etc.

Guys. It's time for some wargame theory.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

<THREAD>
I'm hearing this meme that says how PP hates Cygnar, wants to burn Haley players alive etc.

Guys. It's time for some wargame theory.

It's about ethics in Cygnar.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

waah posted:

So i guess the cygnar thread melted down more an is making Skorne salt look tame.

It's also funny because if Skorne was left in the condition of Cygnar post-errata I'd like to hope most players would act like they won the lottery. Just because stuff got weakened doesn't mean it or its faction actually became bad. I know Ret seems like it is barely feeling the effects of the nerf. If you collect factions and not lists errata is something you can roll with if your faction has a deep bench.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Literally the only change for Cygnar in that errata that makes me curious is the pHaley change. There's no way that spell is worth costing cast 4 now, not without her CMD going up. A SPD 5 jack with 2" reach activating in her command still has an 8" threat.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I don't get why Hayley1 got hit so hard. Cygnar preys on my Cryx but she felt like one of their more reasonable casters.

If you want some hyperbolic drama head over to the Cryx reactions to the errata thread. Gaspy2 nerfd again!

I still have no clue what I'll do into Kara Sloan.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

S.J. posted:

Literally the only change for Cygnar in that errata that makes me curious is the pHaley change. There's no way that spell is worth costing cast 4 now, not without her CMD going up. A SPD 5 jack with 2" reach activating in her command still has an 8" threat.

Maybe a defense debuff that affects a huge area without having to target anything is worth 4 focus... The fact that the speed part won't usually matter makes the spell balanced.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Forzelt posted:

Maybe a defense debuff that affects a huge area without having to target anything is worth 4 focus... The fact that the speed part won't usually matter makes the spell balanced.

It really isn't worth 4 focus on a 7 focus caster. It's not that the speed part won't usually matter, it's that it will, in a practical sense, never matter. The bubble is small enough that I feel they could've replaced the -2 SPD with the old "can't run or charge" rule.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't think it's that unreasonable for Cygnar players to be upset. The two best and most fun casters in faction got dumpstered and they didn't get anything to make up for it. Would it really have hosed up the game to make any of the lovely do-nothing casters a little more interesting? Or any of the units not called Storm Lances or Trenchers?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Storm Lances, Sword Knights, Rangers, and Trencher Infantry all get used for good reasons. I'm not counting mechanics as a unit in this context, but that still leaves a lot to be desired on the unit front. Stormblades and Stormguard need something for sure, like not-victim stats. The idea that Haley 2 and Caine 2 are 'dumpstered' is absolutely incorrect, though, just like the idea that Cygnar has few other competitive casters.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

fadam posted:

I don't think it's that unreasonable for Cygnar players to be upset. The two best and most fun casters in faction got dumpstered and they didn't get anything to make up for it. Would it really have hosed up the game to make any of the lovely do-nothing casters a little more interesting? Or any of the units not called Storm Lances or Trenchers?

I think all of the other factions that don't have poo poo to play would like to have words with you. They didn't get anything because they are already in a great position. Think about all of the other factions for a minute and you'll see that Cygnar already has a poo poo load of stuff that is good and playable when compared to other factions options. I bet if you made a list of "good stuff" for each faction, Cygnar far and away has the longest list.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I just got bummed menoth got nothing.

...mind you I'm in complete agreement that they're in a good place and didn't need much but I wanted new toys drat it :(

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.
I would still take temporal barrier over breath stealer

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think caine2 got hit that hard. He lost his insane troop mulching ability. In fact I would say Caine2 and Haley2 are about the same between the sidegrades and the end of friendly model power attacks.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

New woldwyrd is hilarious against lylth3 holy poo poo.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

RagnarokAngel posted:

I just got bummed menoth got nothing.

...mind you I'm in complete agreement that they're in a good place and didn't need much but I wanted new toys drat it :(

I'm counting the status quo as a buff. No nerfs on HR or idrians is kinda crazy.

I just ordered HR post-eratta so he'll be a new toy to me.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

New woldwyrd is hilarious against lylth3 holy poo poo.

How so?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ShowTime posted:

I think all of the other factions that don't have poo poo to play would like to have words with you. They didn't get anything because they are already in a great position. Think about all of the other factions for a minute and you'll see that Cygnar already has a poo poo load of stuff that is good and playable when compared to other factions options. I bet if you made a list of "good stuff" for each faction, Cygnar far and away has the longest list.

What factions are these? I don't think any Cygnar caster not named Caine2, Haley or Sloan is above average tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

fadam posted:

What factions are these? I don't think any Cygnar caster not named Caine2, Haley or Sloan is above average tbh.

Siege can punch holes in armor, reducing ARM 25 to ARM 13 for a turn. We have no shortage of POW 10-14 shooting that shreds that.
Stryker2 still has the ability to put any caster in the ground from 17" away, non linear.
Stryker3 has a stupidly hard hitting alpha
Caine2 still tears through infantry like a maniac with 8 shots per turn at POW 12
Haley2 is still a potent control caster with her feat and TK, and while force field isn't ideal, it mitigates a lot of Cygnar's low ARM problem against AoE happy lists.
Haley3 is the only Cygnar caster with recursion and still brings a strong assassination game.

I'm a Cygnar player, and the only casters that I consider "weak" at the moment are Constance and Stryker1. And Stryker1's only failing is outside of the Earthquake spell he doesn't do much beyond some support.

Caine2 was overpowered as hell. Name me any other caster or even any other model with the potential to wipe out 8 models a turn, repeatedly, without direct line of sight.