Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I have a fever dream where TW:W makes so much money that CA just throws the Tyranids or something in there. Cause why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

LordAbaddon posted:

I'm just hoping that either CA don't do a preorder bonus faction for the other two games or, if they do, that they don't end up in the half-assed state WoC are now.

They seem to have learned from their mistakes on faction and lord fun factor though, I'm not too worried. If anything they need to dial down the snowballiness of new factions because beastmen, welfs and skarsnik get some really insane bonuses compared to the vanilla factions

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Aurubin posted:

I have a fever dream where TW:W makes so much money that CA just throws the Tyranids or something in there. Cause why not.

Only if we get the Halflings first. Gimme my swan-riders, angry housewives, and the knockoff Fellowship. The world needs screenshots of Archaon getting beaten to death by frying pans.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Aurubin posted:

Given how much success TWW has already had, being only 1/3 done, it's all but certain CA will make a TW40K eventually. Probably in the same vein as FOTS.

This entire excursion into fantasy has been a license to print money for CA (and likely for GW, too). Anyone who thinks they're going to just turn that license in when TWW is done and go back to Totally Serious Business Which Is Stronger Swedish Pikes or Spanish Pikes: Total War is either lying to himself, or actually retarded.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

If they're going to do that they should use the money to buy Eugen or license their Wargame engine.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I think 40K would work better if done in the vein of Eugen's Wargame series.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It'll probably end in 5pt PDF guardsmen massacring Chaos Space Marines in a city block kind of deal though.

On the other hand I kinda want to see what a rhino rush would look like.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

They couldn't get away with just doing a Total War game as we know them except with guardsmen and orks and stuff, at the very least.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Whatever happened to Dawn of War 3? it just kind of dropped off the radar ever since it was revealed.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lunethex posted:

Whatever happened to Dawn of War 3? it just kind of dropped off the radar ever since it was revealed.

People realized that it was looking more like Starcraft 3 and stopped talking about it. You see some discussion in it's thread here every now and then, but most of it is just rolling eyes and bitching.

Admittedly, the gameplay shown so far does not inspire confidence.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still want my ww1 ratmen army. Warpstone machine guns, doom wheels and poison grenadiers. Also everything exploding.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sjonnar posted:

Given how much success TWW has already had, being only 1/3 done, it's all but certain CA will make a TW40K eventually. Probably in the same vein as FOTS.

I'll take that bet.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still want my ww1 ratmen army. Warpstone machine guns, doom wheels and poison grenadiers. Also everything exploding.

super cheap 250 rats per unit card tar pit infantry and a few big heavy and expensive units that murder as many rats as enemies but there are more rats than enemies and that's why you win battles

I am down :getin:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Danann posted:

It'll probably end in 5pt PDF guardsmen massacring Chaos Space Marines in a city block kind of deal though.

On the other hand I kinda want to see what a rhino rush would look like.

There was a bug with teukjeonsa in early RD where they had 10 wounds but five dudes, so they could do that or maybe give SMs AV1 and make them tough as hell. Plus militia suck for firepower, I'd be just as worried about space marines being the return of original fallschirmjaeger 90 and murdering everything they meet.

Rhino rush would be most like original VAB rushing back in EE probably.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
40k wouldn't really work in this engine. That game is all about small squads moving through cover and blowing poo poo up from miles away whereas WHFB uses the larger blocks and formations that we know and love. If you have a squad out of cover charging in for longer than one turn in 40k it just gets vaporized. Ranged firepower isn't as deadly in fantasy and it changes the game dramatically.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

40k wouldn't really work in this engine.

Yeah. Add to that that CA seems rather conservative in its design philosophy. Every game is an iteration of the last, very few big jumps. I really don't expect them to try something completely new. And why would you even want them to?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda like the idea of CA W40k game mainly because it'll be our only real chance of seeing Titans on the battlefield.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

It's still coming. Lots of complaints about its look and some pretty :effort: battle animations that I hope get some love before release. It's hard to imagine the dev that made DoW1 such a lovingly-crafted experience would release such a bland product. I'm still optimistic it'll look better by the time it's released.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i doubt most of the people that made dow1 are still at relic

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Davincie posted:

Where else would they go though? Not a lot of RTS devs left.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fangz posted:

I kinda like the idea of CA W40k game mainly because it'll be our only real chance of seeing Titans on the battlefield.

Wargame is already basically at epic scale though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Wargame is already basically at epic scale though.

If it was Wargame most of what you see of a Titan would just be a rectangle with 'Titan' written on it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Davincie posted:

The project lead from Dark Crusade is helming the DOW3 dev team.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Arcsquad12 posted:

The project lead from Dark Crusade is helming the DOW3 dev team.

I loved Dark Crusade so this is good news for me.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

genericnick posted:

Yeah. Add to that that CA seems rather conservative in its design philosophy. Every game is an iteration of the last, very few big jumps. I really don't expect them to try something completely new. And why would you even want them to?

Yeah. Even Empire's musket lines are just extrapolated from the Arqebus units in Medieval 2.

Dawn of War 3 is not on my wishlist right now. I really enjoy RTS games that more about maneuvering and such, and the footage of DoW 3 looks very War/Starcraft to me in how it plays. I think Wargamer 40K would work because I can really imagine some Motostrelki squad replaced with Ork models charging some entrenched Space Marines or Guardsmen backed up Marauder strikes or something. I'm kind of imagining battles like this but with Killblastas and Baneblades instead of T-80s and Abrams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCv2gGNgF0&t=389s

Problem is that Wargame is mostly about the multiplayer. Their campaigns kinda suck.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 27, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fangz posted:

If it was Wargame most of what you see of a Titan would just be a rectangle with 'Titan' written on it.

Nahh, they're big enough you'd see them pretty well. You can see tanks okay and ships really well in stock Wargame (although the animations would probably be mediocre).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kainser posted:

There are plenty of decent LL options for Chaos (where is Valkia the Bloody CA??), it's just unfortunate that GW decided to make the blandest character of them all the leader of the faction and the endboss of this game.

Probably for the best she wasn't in as a launch LL, if only because of how generic and uninspired the launch heroes were. I know it's probably not going to happen, but I would love to see her get added as a LL for a Norse faction instead of the generic Warriors of Chaos. Make her campaign bonuses all about making marauders ripshit tough and kill crazy and give her the option like Beastmen to give the WoC invasion the finger and murder them too with the rest of the southies.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

She would have made a nice tie-in to the blood DLC, but Chaos sucks and they already have three LLs.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kainser posted:

There are plenty of decent LL options for Chaos (where is Valkia the Bloody CA??), it's just unfortunate that GW decided to make the blandest character of them all the leader of the faction and the endboss of this game.

This is true but Sigvald and Kholek are both pretty awesome, they just suffer from the normal 'base game LL' syndrome.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

DeathSandwich posted:

Make her campaign bonuses all about making marauders ripshit tough and kill crazy and give her the option like Beastmen to give the WoC invasion the finger and murder them too with the rest of the southies.

A thousand maurader horsemen, with a thousand morale moving at a thousand speed...

gently caress that.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

jfood posted:

A thousand maurader horsemen, with a thousand morale moving at a thousand speed...

gently caress that.

If anyone hasn't yet marched Durthu up to lay waste to the vikings you really should. WE archers absolutely devastate marauder horsemen and since you can actually place outposts with garrisons you can effectively eliminate them from the game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Plan Z posted:

Yeah. Even Empire's musket lines are just extrapolated from the Arqebus units in Medieval 2.

Dawn of War 3 is not on my wishlist right now. I really enjoy RTS games that more about maneuvering and such, and the footage of DoW 3 looks very War/Starcraft to me in how it plays. I think Wargamer 40K would work because I can really imagine some Motostrelki squad replaced with Ork models charging some entrenched Space Marines or Guardsmen backed up Marauder strikes or something. I'm kind of imagining battles like this but with Killblastas and Baneblades instead of T-80s and Abrams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCv2gGNgF0&t=389s

Problem is that Wargame is mostly about the multiplayer. Their campaigns kinda suck.

Wargame is probably the most true computer game to any miniatures game that's played by more than three people.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

If anyone hasn't yet marched Durthu up to lay waste to the vikings you really should. WE archers absolutely devastate marauder horsemen and since you can actually place outposts with garrisons you can effectively eliminate them from the game.
If you get far enough into their tech tree you can do it with any army too. Every WE army can become completely immune to attrition. :wtc:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Am I right in my feeling that Vampire Counts are pretty good against Chaos? What should I be bringing to stomp these spooks into the shadow realm?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Finally finished WE GC on VH... allied to but not confederating Durthu the whole game. What a rollercoaster ride. Like WHY are you declaring war on Border Princes, you've never even met them and they haven't been anywhere near your precious woods. WHY are you charging four full stacks of Chaos with your one, it's not going to work out. Thanks for declaring war on Beastmen when they're just peacefully hanging out in my province and all my armies are 5 turns away, now I'm hosed.

It's like an optional handicap, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Nanomashoes posted:

Am I right in my feeling that Vampire Counts are pretty good against Chaos? What should I be bringing to stomp these spooks into the shadow realm?
Maybe it's those I fought but I usually beat VC as Chaos in quick battles. VC has to bring armour piercing (for the most part) and lacks mid-tier anti-large so a Chaos Giant can be bad news if backed up by halberds to prevent Blood Knights or Skeleton Spearmen. Forsaken can even take on Grave Guard with their massive charge bonus.

That said, for VC, flight could be a winner since both sides lack ranged (I've only ever seen two players bring any Marauder Horsemen units to the field) so a Terrorgheist or even two can mess up flying generals or heroes as well as any Manticore, and hunt down ground generals in hit and runs because their mass is so large and Chaos usually doesn't take cavalry to bog down other high mass units. A few skeletons or even zombies can blunt a Forsaken rush's charge and let your Grave Guard tear them apart.

Mortis Engines are also great against Chaos because of the corrupting aura and their heavier infantry's slow speed, allowing you to kite and corrupt with damage, as well as enough mass to pull away from an infantry blob.

I usually beat VC with Greenskins as well, as Mukip did when he played against me and held back my entire force with some Orc Boy Big Uns, Orc Arrer Boyz with some ranks in them, a flying Azhag, and the ROR Night Goblins who do sundering armor damage.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

genericnick posted:

Yeah. Add to that that CA seems rather conservative in its design philosophy.

On the other hand, they did make Alien: Isolation, so they have talent for more than iterative development through Total War games.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

ZearothK posted:

On the other hand, they did make Alien: Isolation, so they have talent for more than iterative development through Total War games.

Don't forget they're making Halo Wars2 right now, a much more traditional RTS, as well

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Wait, that was CA? That has got to be one of the most successful attempts at diversification I have ever seen.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Skaven would be a lot of fun when they're eventually released because in their lore a lot of their mad scientist tech was designed to hard counter dwarves so I'm betting things like poison wind mortar and lightning cannons will be especially brutal against slow, tightly packed armored formations. They don't have cavalry either but I'm betting units like giant rats will function like warhounds.

They could even copy some elements of the amber system (warpstone tokens to gate certain techs based on Skaven clans, but unlike wood elves its only temporary until you assimilate that clan as you unite all of them. So if you were Pestilens you'd get globadiers and other poison units, but would have to pay tokens for Rat Ogres or Warplock Jezzails. This could also mean your agents are based on your clan as well, Warlock Engineer, Assassin, Pack master, etc.

Lookin forward to dinos vs ratmen in the sequel.

• Locked thread