Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zero One posted:

Look at all of you asking for small QoL improvements in the next DLC instead of real DLC level additions...

...Like China :v:

I want imperial China to be it's own Paradox game. The feudal metaphor has been horrifically stretched enough as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

Zero One posted:

The only big thing they haven't really touched since the beginning is the technology system. But it's such a minor part of the game I don't know if it would be worth making major changes now.

They did change it once, at game release there wasn't the tech points system and outside advisor actions it was totally hands off. It's true it's still not great but it works ok and it's not a big part of the game so eh.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

tombom posted:

They did change it once, at game release there wasn't the tech points system and outside advisor actions it was totally hands off. It's true it's still not great but it works ok and it's not a big part of the game so eh.

My understanding was that it was a mean time to happen system like culture conversion is, so if my understanding is correct that would be prior art for revamping cultures.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Geatish run

I became best friends with Ragnarr Lothbrok after reading him horrible poetry and then his father Sigurd Hring cucked me and killed my first born

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like I got lucky with my mystic advisor and got a real one. 30 martial is high enough that she's pretty much guaranteed to be legit, so we'll see if I can finish turning my Khagan into Europe's worst nightmare.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm having trouble making raiding work for me. If I'm playing as Svitjod with the Charlemagne start how early should I be raiding and what places should I hit up for quick cash?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Raiding is hard if not impossible until the viking age starts and you get your free shipyards. After that, Ireland and independent areas in England are good. Venice and Rome are good once you got some decent sized troop stacks.

England can be good for a smash and grab. Just loot the unprotected wealth until it's gone, but the castle sieges might take too long to break through effectively. Just keep going county to count until you hit a wall.
Ireland is comparatively poor, but the sieges are fast and you'll walk away with pillaged loot and hostages, which can be ransomed or sacrificed at a blot.

Venice and Rome are very rich, and often have churches and towns early which are fast to siege. They also rarely put up a fight because they don't have other holdings to reinforce from.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 27, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

chunkles posted:

I'm having trouble making raiding work for me. If I'm playing as Svitjod with the Charlemagne start how early should I be raiding and what places should I hit up for quick cash?

Your neighbors.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Thanks guys. Raiding my neighbors by land put some coins in my pocket, and then I hosed up Ireland after the Viking Age started. I think I get it now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm drowning in witches but they're all my best council options, please stop revolting. :smith:

E: Hmmm...

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Also it's really stupid that people being mad about being over demense will prevent you from actually fixing that due to council tyranny.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 27, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Orv posted:

Also it's really stupid that people being mad about being over demense will prevent you from actually fixing that due to council tyranny.

Sometimes you need to just purge everyone. And sometimes your council should be incompetent yes men so you can get actual work done.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that game had a DF-esque tantrum spiral of statistically great rulers that everyone hated because of some early heresies and just a wee bit of kinslaying so I ended up burning everything to the ground the moment I went feudal and pulling a happy council and vassals out of thin air/other places. Even topped it off with a really nice suicide.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 27, 2016

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Was at a friend's party and for the first time met another person in this hick town who plays Paradox games. It was fun to talk about CK and Stellaris and whatever, and we were all yeah you gotta add me on Steam so we can try some co-op stuff some day.

It was all good until he suddenly went "So, what do you think about Jews?" :hitler:

I should have guessed.
:negative:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I did just buy Charlemagne since it's unlikely to ever be cheaper than an Xmas sale, but having a read up on tribal made me realise I don't want to mess with that anytime soon, don't really even have my head fully around feudal yet. Lost a county each in my neat little de jure Ireland and Wales kingdoms in the end due to some inheritance shenanigans :argh:

I thought I was taking screenshots but apparently not, I wanted to share my penultimate, "eight consecutive daughters and zero sons" ruler . Rode that Queen to the end, picking up a "the Depraved" because I tortured the duchess that elective'd her way into my hard-won Kingdom of Alba title in the waning years of the game. It was kind of fun playing the last 10-15 years in an increasingly YOLO "yep, don't care, this will probably not have time to bite me in the arse" way and making ill-advised decisions. I was kind of hoping the AI also had knowledge the game was ending soon and would do some fun Hail Mary wars, but alas.

I also got reasonably close to the immortality event with my depraved queen. Afterwards tried assassinating that smug mystic girl after she left my court, but it didn't fire.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Was at a friend's party and for the first time met another person in this hick town who plays Paradox games. It was fun to talk about CK and Stellaris and whatever, and we were all yeah you gotta add me on Steam so we can try some co-op stuff some day.

It was all good until he suddenly went "So, what do you think about Jews?" :hitler:

I should have guessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I should have guessed.
Take loans from them, then kick them out?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Orv posted:

I'm drowning in witches but they're all my best council options, please stop revolting. :smith:

E: Hmmm...

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Council members should be getting a huge bonus to saying yes to county hand outs when above the demesne limit. So like even the malcontents will often say yes, but you can get chain reactions of nopes if you try to hand out to a councillor's rival or get some other decision weights counteracting the over demesne limit rubber stamping bonus.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, especially if your council is full of unlanded losers (Waaah, why don't I get a county??), malcontents (gently caress you) or you're trying to give land to your dynasty (as the pragmatists hate that)

It's malcontents influencing the rest with favours that is what trips me up the most. Just fire the malcontent, replace with a yes man, see if things improve.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Take loans from them, then kick them out?

No it screws up your tax base and messes up your ability to get super stat ones. Also I think the expel gold actually increases over time. I'm not sure what the foruma is for that.

I am pissed I couldn't appoint my super high learning one as Court Chaplain. Just realized I missed the chance to convert my kids now.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm thinking about hopping back in this game and pick up some DLC while I'm at it. Did I already miss the daily sale (-75% or whatever) for the Conclave and Reaper's Due?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Don't think there was a daily sale, was there?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IceAgeComing posted:

Don't think there was a daily sale, was there?

Not to the best of my knowledge.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Steam doesn't do daily sales / quick sales anymore (during big sales), it's just highlights now.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Trogdos! posted:

Steam doesn't do daily sales / quick sales anymore (during big sales), it's just highlights now.

Ah OK. Didn't know that. Might as well buy them now then. Thanks for the info everyone!

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Hah, this is great. He did look rather disappointed when I told him I don't own HoI4 yet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Meta-Mollusk posted:

"They're all right for a challenge game, but the Zoroastrians are more fun."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Council members should be getting a huge bonus to saying yes to county hand outs when above the demesne limit. So like even the malcontents will often say yes, but you can get chain reactions of nopes if you try to hand out to a councillor's rival or get some other decision weights counteracting the over demesne limit rubber stamping bonus.

They do get one if you're way over the limit, but I think it goes away if you're only 1-2 over. It also won't override malcontents voting no, but it does at least prevent councillors with no opinion voting no because they like the malcontent more than you (because the "you are over demense limit" bonus counts as an opinion). Unlanded councillors will also likely vote no if you aren't giving the land to them, if they could hold the title being given (since hey, you've got so much to spare, it's hard to justify not giving them anything).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any achievements that for update or gameplay changes now impossible to get? Is Hard Ruler still possible to get?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Are there any must buy DLCs in this game? I usually play EU4 and I'm considering getting into this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This question gets asked every few pages, we should really put it into the OP. And update the OP.

Anyway, Way of Life is a must have. Conclave and Reaper's Due are amazing and expand the gameplay in many nice ways, but they add quite a bit of difficulty and complexity to the game, so I don't know if they are that good for a beginner.

The others depend on what you want out of the game. Do you want to play Muslims (Sword of Islam), Hindus/Buddhists/Jains (Rajas of India), Jews (Sons of Abraham), Merchant Republics (The Republic), Nomads (Horse Lords) or pagans (The Old Gods)?

The developers are Swedes, so Norse pagans are kind of their special pets. You get to play as them and some other interesting pagans in The Old God, and get an earlier start date as well. So The Old Gods is always a good deal, you get a lot of features for your money.

Lastly, Legacy of Rome lets you reform the Roman Empire, and unlocks retinues. Reforming the empire is nice, but the real star are the retinues, which are a core part of the gameplay now. You can get by as a feudal ruler without them, but it's a feature I would miss a lot. But you can''t properly play Merchant Republics without retinues, so Legacy of Rome is a must buy if you want to play a doge. And it's highly recommended in any case.

Sunset Invasion is only for experienced players who like the game a lot and want to shake it up a little. Leave it for later. Charlemagne gives you the earliest start date, but the default 1066 start of the base game is the best for beginners. So it's not worth it if you just want to try out the game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I like how opinion penalties such as having too many duchies or too big a demesne can result in characters liking you less if you give them land. I've had this foreign guy as chancellor for years because he's got 22 diplomacy and when I created a city in one of my counties I thought hey I'll give it to him as sort of a reward for good work. Now he's a malcontent and has bought favors from 3 of my other councilors so he's probably looking to poo poo on me in some way pretty soon. :v:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I took a long break from the game and just got Old Gods. I started off as the Pruthenian chief, married a genius, fathered some children and subjugated the Yatvyagi next door.

Then my 22 intrigue spymaster caught the chief of Galindia plotting to fabricate claims against me. I tried to imprison him (63% chance) and failed. The spymaster dies and the chief revolts. He raises 3200 men in rebellion from a single county. I have 350 levies of my own and another 800 from vassals. :psyduck:

Then my friendly neighbour Pomerania senses weakness and declares war, sending 1600 troops over. Okay, fine, but where the gently caress did this one-county chief get over 3000 men from at the beginning of the game??

Orv
May 4, 2011
Event troops are pretty much universally bullshit garbage nonsense.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MazelTovCocktail posted:

No it screws up your tax base and messes up your ability to get super stat ones. Also I think the expel gold actually increases over time. I'm not sure what the foruma is for that.

I am pissed I couldn't appoint my super high learning one as Court Chaplain. Just realized I missed the chance to convert my kids now.

The formula is, like most things, based on your raw annual tax revenue. I think it's something like 6x annual income.

You can't appoint a Jew as Chaplain because your Chaplain must share your religion. You would have to convert first.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I should have guessed.

e: lol beaten by a few hours likely but I knew I had the exact right clip in mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 28, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So I've been playing a game starting as the duke of Mercia in the charlie start. Things are going well and I steadily ate up the British Isles. I even let the Swedes succesfully invade Pictland when I could have turned the tide by joining in the fight. With pagans in control of the the north I no longer had to find ways to get CBs and promptly swallowed Pictland in a couple decades. After taking Wales piecemeal via forged claims and poo poo, and a small piece of Ireland I was able to establish Britannia. Took some time, but I got primo in place for both Britannia and England. By this point, the Umayyads had swallowed Brittany, Aquitaine, and two duchies in France.

Well I stole Brittany from them when they were busy with a decadence revolt. After the next Emperor of Britannia was crowned, the crusades broke out and he successfully fought to tear Aquitaine away from its Muslim rulers. Sadly, the Pope gave the kingdom to the Karlings (lol the Karlings are still powerful as gently caress in my current game because of this) even though my armies did most the heavy lifting. I still got mine though, by invading Poitou while the Umayyads were still reeling from their defeat in the 1st Crusade and another decadence revolt (that revolt would succeed where the other one didn't, unseating the Umayyads). When Hispania got shattered by the Umayyad defeat in the decadence revolt, I once again swooped in like a vulture and conquered Asturias. It was at this point that my current Emperor got rabies and died.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, except he only had two daughters when he died, resulting in a 5 year old Empress Cyneburg of Britannia. Throughout the regency I actually managed to avoid major revolts for the most part, via titles, bribery, and judicious use of non-aggression pacts with as many vassals as I could (a large portion of the empire is family). The one big revolt that happened was put down easily thanks to alliances with the Karling king of Aquitaine and the king of France. My regent was a nice, content fellow that didn't try to gently caress me at every turn, too. After a surprisingly quiet regency, the young empress came of age, and married a Croatian strongman in an attempt to help stats out with future offspring. Everything was looking pretty good.

At this point, Empress Cyneburg revealed herself to be a total loving badass. The 2nd Crusade kicked off, this time for Jerusalem. She promptly strapped on some armor and boarded ship along with 15,000 Britannian and holy order troops, pregnant, and went to war in the east. She gave birth to her first son during a siege in Jaffa, and conceived what would be her second son while sieging the walls of Jerusalem itself. She was only 21 when the crusade ended in victory, awarding the Empire of Britannia the Kingdom of Jerusalem, thanks to the ferocity of its Empress Cyneburg the Great. The year is currently 944, and Empress Cyneburg is back at war in Jerusalem defending against a Shia jihad. And she's pregnant again. This 28 year old woman is probably the coolest loving ruler I've ever had and her stats/traits aren't even that good. Her best stat is diplomacy at a mediocre 14, and she's got hardly any traits. Hilariously despite being a total badass, she's craven. The entire empire loves her and her husband, two stalwart warriors for Christendom.All hail Empress Cyneburg the Great and Emperor Sebeslav, paragons of the Icelings and the Empire!

e: Man I would give anything for this woman to get the immortal trait. I have yet to get a ruler successfully through that chain though. :(

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 28, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can immortal women give birth after age 45?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Skellybones posted:

I think so? I vaguely remember loving around things with going on; on the other hand I don't remember if they still get seduction offers.

Also man, the defensive warriors you get for piety makes the West-Africans way more survivable. I mean, yeah, you're probably gonna be hosed sooner rather than later anyway but it's still pretty good.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Torrannor posted:

This question gets asked every few pages, we should really put it into the OP. And update the OP.

Anyway, Way of Life is a must have. Conclave and Reaper's Due are amazing and expand the gameplay in many nice ways, but they add quite a bit of difficulty and complexity to the game, so I don't know if they are that good for a beginner.

The others depend on what you want out of the game. Do you want to play Muslims (Sword of Islam), Hindus/Buddhists/Jains (Rajas of India), Jews (Sons of Abraham), Merchant Republics (The Republic), Nomads (Horse Lords) or pagans (The Old Gods)?

The developers are Swedes, so Norse pagans are kind of their special pets. You get to play as them and some other interesting pagans in The Old God, and get an earlier start date as well. So The Old Gods is always a good deal, you get a lot of features for your money.

Lastly, Legacy of Rome lets you reform the Roman Empire, and unlocks retinues. Reforming the empire is nice, but the real star are the retinues, which are a core part of the gameplay now. You can get by as a feudal ruler without them, but it's a feature I would miss a lot. But you can''t properly play Merchant Republics without retinues, so Legacy of Rome is a must buy if you want to play a doge. And it's highly recommended in any case.

Sunset Invasion is only for experienced players who like the game a lot and want to shake it up a little. Leave it for later. Charlemagne gives you the earliest start date, but the default 1066 start of the base game is the best for beginners. So it's not worth it if you just want to try out the game.

Alright, thanks! I'll probably just play cookie cutter starts like Ireland and Castile for now, so I guess I'm going with Way of Life, The Old Gods and Legacy of Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Skellybones posted:

Yes. The wife of my immortal god-king is the norse pagan lady who led him to the golden apples, and she's producing sprogs* just fine in our third/fourth century together.

*Said lady spawns celibate, but after a century or two of concubines I just went "gently caress it" and console commanded the trait off her. Instant sprogsplosion.

It looks like things slow down a lot after baby 8 or 9, though.

• Locked thread