Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hadlock posted:

Is there any workaround for the windows 10 telemetry

I don't think the Enterprise version does it (as much). I'm sure you could catch the majority of the Windows 10 telemetry though by just leaving an idle machine running and keeping a record of all the sessions it initiated and then denying them at an external firewall.

You can set up a WSUS target that goes nowhere if you have at least the pro edition. That will prevent a lot of the auto-updates as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Bad debounce would be my guess.

Hmmm, would definitely explain it. Is there a way to filter or rate limit inputs at the os/X level?

e: the on screen keyboard inside Kodi works fine

Pedestrian Xing fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 23, 2016

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Are there any out there who have used either the HiFiberry Digi+ or JustBoom Digi pHATs?
After ridiculous amounts of testing and futzing around I'm pretty sure my TV just can't passthrough audio streams over HDMI to my amplifier, so I can only use SPDIF/Toslink for surround sound with TV/Movies using LibreELEC.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 23, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Super Slash posted:

Are there any out there who have used either the HiFiberry Digi+ or JustBoom Digi pHATs?
After ridiculous amounts of testing and futzing around I'm pretty sure my TV just can't can't passthrough audio streams over HDMI to my amplifier, so I can only use SPDIF/Toslink for surround sound with TV/Movies using LibreELEC.

None of those nouns are real, are they?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Methanar posted:

I don't think the Enterprise version does it (as much). I'm sure you could catch the majority of the Windows 10 telemetry though by just leaving an idle machine running and keeping a record of all the sessions it initiated and then denying them at an external firewall.

That's exactly what the pfsense plugin did/does so I'm curious why doing it manually would work but the pfsense plugin doesn't work

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
As real as these are my dude;

I'm just curious if anyone here has used one and how well they work.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hadlock posted:

That's exactly what the pfsense plugin did/does so I'm curious why doing it manually would work but the pfsense plugin doesn't work

If you block the sessions it tries to initiate then no traffic is ever going to leave your network.

I don't know why/if pfsense doesn't work.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Blocking all network traffic works but it has a few downsides. As soon as you run Windows update it's going to do whatever it wants with whatever it has been storing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

apropos man posted:

I read somewhere (probably these forums) that they were gonna start baking ads into the video themselves. Probably when the technology is quick enough to do it ad-hoc with millions of videos per minute. So the ad becomes part of the video and it's impossible for a machine to make a discretion.

Amazing how dearly these ad companies think that we are influenced by all of these adverts. I'm probably not immune to the suggestions made to me by adverts, myself, but I'd like to to think about 95% of them mean nothing to me.

I think it's an industry where a 1% click through rate is fantastic, so you're justifying it with that number. And then there's the ad currency of "impressions." But I'm being cheeky.

I can tell you that I was on vacation and just trying to check the news on a dang phone was an angrifying abomination of ad garbage, and that's just to load the headlines. I have a spare Pi, heck, I'm installing Pi-Hole tonight just for kicks.

update: everything's faster but my wife doesn't care yet

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 24, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Cross post from the networking thread in case you guys have some better ideas than what I've come up with:

Twerk from Home posted:

I could ask this in the Linux thread, Raspberry Pi thread, or here, but what I'd really like is a way to make UDP multicast not suck over wifi, so I'll ask here first.

I'm turning a Raspi 2 into a little audio monitor, and the simple straightforward way I'd like to do it is having ffmpeg take USB microphone input, transcode to mp3, and push it out to a multicast IP via RTP. I've done this, and it somewhat works but the packet loss is horrible. This works well if I actually do UDP unicast by pushing it to a single IP rather than multicast, but that somewhat defeats my goals.

The only other good solution I see involves adding some sort of http streaming server to the stack like icecast2 or nginx with a rtmp module, but that's going to be a whole other thing to configure, another service to write, and more stress on the RPi's teeny little CPU. I could also run an http streaming server on another machine, but that's even more complexity.

I'd really like multicast RTP to work over wifi.... but it doesn't.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Cross post from the networking thread in case you guys have some better ideas than what I've come up with:

I'd really like multicast RTP to work over wifi.... but it doesn't.

Have you looked into NetJack? Audio over ethernet is a fairly mature technology (I'm most familiar with Dante in a pro audio setting) and there should be at least some option available that works with AES67 for multicast audio distribution that is still open source.

It's not likely you will find something that works well with wifi that isn't icecast, low-latency layer 3 audio networking is pretty dependent on wired networking for proper playback .

E: my Dante networks pretty much require gigabit wired networks for < 10ms latency network streams that are multicast. They are also flagged as VOIP packets for QoS routing priority over regular traffic. Also many wireless routers filter multicast packets so that may be something else to look at.

ickna fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 25, 2016

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Is there any workaround for the windows 10 telemetry

http://winaero.com/blog/stop-windows-10-spying-on-you-using-just-windows-firewall/

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

This doesn't do anything hth.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Does anyone have any experience running a Plex server on a pi 3? Specifically if it can handle transcoding (standard def MPEG 2 and HD MPEG 4)?

The media library would be wired Ethernet instead of USB if that makes a difference.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wired ethernet won't help because it's on the USB bus anyway.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Wired ethernet won't help because it's on the USB bus anyway.

Yeah I realised that after posting :( To be clear, this would just be to access the plex web interface over a phone/other computer, not to view the media on the Pi - just transcode it where necessary.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want a device which would be used exclusively as an airplay server for audio. It would output via RCA to my parents' living room receiver. My parents would use it to play music via their iPhones or iTunes, and bluetooth is 100% not an option. What I want is for them to press the 'Music' button on their Harmony remote (to set the receiver to the rca audio input) and select 'Living Room' as output on their phone/pc and to have things work. Would a pi or pi2 work for this?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 27, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

I want a device which would be used exclusively as an airplay server for audio. It would output via RCA to my parents' living room receiver. My parents would use it to play music via their iPhones or iTunes, and bluetooth is 100% not an option. What I want is for them to press the 'Music' button on their Harmony remote (to set the receiver to the rca audio input) and select 'Living Room' as output on their phone/pc and to have things work. Would a pi or pi2 work for this?

Kodi has Airplay built into it. You have to enable the service in the options menu. Flashing an OpenELEC/LibreELEC image to the Pi and enabling Airplay should suffice. As for the quality of sound :shrug: I have poo poo hearing so I don't really know if a DAC makes it sound better, I think most of that Audiophile poo poo is snake oil. The most you might need is a 3.5mm wire->Reciever adapter on the wire provided you're not just running it via HDMI.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

blunt posted:

Does anyone have any experience running a Plex server on a pi 3? Specifically if it can handle transcoding (standard def MPEG 2 and HD MPEG 4)?

The media library would be wired Ethernet instead of USB if that makes a difference.

Just in case anyone else was wondering about this, it turns out Plex won't do any transcoding on ARM chips :(

ickna
May 19, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Kodi has Airplay built into it. You have to enable the service in the options menu. Flashing an OpenELEC/LibreELEC image to the Pi and enabling Airplay should suffice. As for the quality of sound :shrug: I have poo poo hearing so I don't really know if a DAC makes it sound better, I think most of that Audiophile poo poo is snake oil. The most you might need is a 3.5mm wire->Reciever adapter on the wire provided you're not just running it via HDMI.

Just a heads up, this feature is broken with IOS 10, and was spotty with IOS 9.

Realistically, you should probably just get them an actual AppleTV and dump the audio out from the TV into the receiver via RCAs.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ickna posted:

Realistically, you should probably just get them an actual AppleTV and dump the audio out from the TV into the receiver via RCAs.

Realistically I don't have the money for that unfortunately, but I do have a pi I'm not using for anything serious.

e: it is crazy to me that kodi on a pi seems to be the only low-cost option for airplay receiving. That I can't even use my iPhone as an airplay receiver is dumb as gently caress.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 28, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

blunt posted:

Just in case anyone else was wondering about this, it turns out Plex won't do any transcoding on ARM chips :(

Out of curiosity, does it entirely refuse to do it, or just fail at performance? Libav is there on Raspbian jessie, and ffmpeg there on stretch. As I've found out though, the CPU just doesn't have the grunt to use x264 at reasonable settings in anything approaching real time.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Out of curiosity, does it entirely refuse to do it, or just fail at performance? Libav is there on Raspbian jessie, and ffmpeg there on stretch. As I've found out though, the CPU just doesn't have the grunt to use x264 at reasonable settings in anything approaching real time.

I've only looked at Rasplex, which states in their FAQ that "While it is possible to run Plex Media Server on a Raspberry Pi, there are limitations, for example, no transcoding". Then looking on Reddit people are reporting that Plex haven't made transcoding available on the ARM architecture, so it looks like an intentional limitation by them.

I assume Kodi would do it, but I'm only interested in running a server and not a frontend - I've just set up plex on an Ubuntu VM on my desktop instead and it's happily transcoding there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

blunt posted:

Does emby?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone happen to need a pi wifi adapter? Figured I'd asked here first. Works perfect, $4 shipped via usps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H95C0A2

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Realistically I don't have the money for that unfortunately, but I do have a pi I'm not using for anything serious.

e: it is crazy to me that kodi on a pi seems to be the only low-cost option for airplay receiving. That I can't even use my iPhone as an airplay receiver is dumb as gently caress.

I've got a pi running shairport-sync that does this, a quick Google suggests it works on ios 10 but I don't have a device to test that out personally

Its updated regularly and the dev is very responsive

Be warned the audio output on a pi is trash, you'd definitely want a dac for it. You can get cheap usb ones

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Rune audio mentions airplay support and looks nice:

http://www.runeaudio.com/features/

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Does emby?

This suggests that transcoding is enabled on emby but ffmpg can only do about 15fps, so not real time. I'd imagine that's why Plex outright disabled it.

Interestingly it turns out that even if you've bought an mpeg2 licence to do hardware decoding on the pi, emby doesn't recognise it and so does all mpeg2 playback in software only.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Skarsnik posted:

Be warned the audio output on a pi is trash, you'd definitely want a dac for it. You can get cheap usb ones

That's unfortunate. I think their receiver is using all of its HDMI inputs, but if there's a spare one, would the audio output be better from that compared to the rca out?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

GobiasIndustries posted:

That's unfortunate. I think their receiver is using all of its HDMI inputs, but if there's a spare one, would the audio output be better from that compared to the rca out?

I've never tried it to be honest

By cheap I mean 5 or 6 pounds cheap, something like this:

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/accessories/xbmc-media-and-sound/usb-sound-adapter-for-the-raspberry-pi

e: tried shairport-sync with an ios 9 ipod, worked perfectly

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 28, 2016

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Anyone happen to need a pi wifi adapter? Figured I'd asked here first. Works perfect, $4 shipped via usps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H95C0A2

Deal is dead :(

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yes, since HDMI is just shipping the bits, not doing any analog conversion.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blunt posted:

This suggests that transcoding is enabled on emby but ffmpg can only do about 15fps, so not real time. I'd imagine that's why Plex outright disabled it.

It's probably primarily an issue with interfacing to the codec acceleration on the Pi's GPU, more than anything. Many early setups for GPU video codec acceleration on PCs years back couldn't make use of it for transcoding, making it so either the encoding or decoding was all on the CPU. This doesn't tend to be as big of a problem now, but could definitely still be cropping up with the Pi and similar small ARM devices.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

crondaily posted:

Just about all the $2 dongles off AliExpress work fine.

For $4, you can even get one that supports monitor mode.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

crondaily posted:

Oh, I posted stupidly: I have an adapter that I'm parting with for $4, the amazon link was just to show what I'm selling. Works perfectly for Kodi/Raspbian, just not for Windows 10 IOT which is why I'm getting rid of it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ickna posted:

Just a heads up, this feature is broken with IOS 10, and was spotty with IOS 9.

Oh really? I haven't used an Iphone since the 3g so I wasn't sure what the status was. I remember it working back then quite well.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there any very short (10cm or less), panel mountable, hdmi and micro usb extension cables available? I can only fit 1 ft long panel mounted ones, and non panel mountable 10cm hdmi extensions for chromecasts.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 29, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Volumio works really well and claims AirPlay support. I don't have any iOS devices to test with, but it's listed as a feature. I've been quite pleased with it as a music player, and if you need actual analog audio output it seems to support most of the external DACs.

YouTuber posted:

As for the quality of sound :shrug: I have poo poo hearing so I don't really know if a DAC makes it sound better, I think most of that Audiophile poo poo is snake oil.
You're usually correct, but a DAC is one of the few "audiophile" things that actually does matter. The one on the Pi is decent but not great, you'd probably have no trouble telling a HiFiBerry or similar apart in an A/B test on a decent sound system. Whether it's enough of a difference to care about is of course a subjective matter.

If HDMI is an option of course just use that. A decent home theater receiver should have sufficiently good DACs to compare to any reasonably priced Pi accessories.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I have issues with my raspberry pis SD cards corrupting after blackouts and other events. I use it to run several things so it's a pain in the butt when it dies and I have to recompile all my stuff.

Would eMMC be a solution? And if so would it be dooable on a raspberry pi 2 or 3 with ubuntu 16.04? Otherwise are there any other solutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
1) Better quality SD cards should be better at managing brown outs without data loss
2) Lock down your filesystem so that nothing unimportant is being written most of the time
3) Use a BBB or something that uses eMMC, which can also copy images to SD as backup and restore from that