Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

But they didn't evolve. They still have a carnivore gut and that's why they are so bad at living on bamboo and barely have the energy to gently caress. But they still prefer bamboo to other foods more suitable for their digestive system.

What if bamboo is just catnip for bears? All we have to do to save the pandas is ween them off the devil weed.

Panda bears are low energy like Jeb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

I love how they don't seem to understand the concept of protest.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

But they didn't evolve. They still have a carnivore gut and that's why they are so bad at living on bamboo and barely have the energy to gently caress. But they still prefer bamboo to other foods more suitable for their digestive system.

What if bamboo is just catnip for bears? All we have to do to save the pandas is ween them off the devil weed.

Is it kind of like a college student eating nothing but ramen

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fojar38 posted:

"Everything that gets reported regarding China or Chinese achievement is at best incredibly exaggerated or at worst an outright lie" hasn't led me wrong yet

Fojar's Law

this is a p good law IMO

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

What happens if a foreign zoo says "actually we're keeping the pandas and not paying you anymore, they are ours"

Exact same response as Trumps phone call.

I wonder if anyone in the PLAN has enough sense to see that nobody else freaks out about these sort of things except them and 1980's Soviet Russia.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blistex posted:

Exact same response as Trumps phone call.

I wonder if anyone in the PLAN has enough sense to see that nobody else freaks out about these sort of things except them and 1980's Soviet Russia.

If the CCP understood anything about foreign policy then autistic screeching and hurt Chinese feels wouldn't be their go to answer.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

If the CCP understood anything about foreign policy then autistic screeching and hurt Chinese feels wouldn't be their go to answer.

Well, it's not far from insane Tweets and nonsensical rants on Fox News.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blistex posted:

Well, it's not far from insane Tweets and nonsensical rants on Fox News.

I am not sure what's worse.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

I am not sure what's worse.

The CCP. Trump is one guy saying whatever pops into his head instantly, and totally unfiltered. The CCP's statements and actions are the result of a massive organization going through committees and official channels before responding.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Every couple weeks we need an update that the bus/train/scam is still abandoned and blocking the road. How long until someone strips it for scrap?

Also in the news, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Some call it a carrier, some call it a butthurt-chariot.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Esports talk:

Last night, a Chinese esports organization announced the group stage for their 24-team CSGO tournament. There are only a few top teams present, due to the restriction that all members of each team must be from the same country as well as the qualifying events for this tournament conflicting with other major events. Here are the groups:

Some background: CSGO has regularly been dominated by European teams, with North American teams trailing a bit behind them. The best Chinese teams (TyLoo and VG.Cyberzen), at best, have one-off upset potential in best of 1 series against the top teams. Surprise surprise, Group A is stacked with the best European teams at the entire event (Virtus.Pro and EnVyUs) while the Chinese teams are spread out amongst the other extremely weak groups to ensure that the Chinese teams advance.

TLDR: China #1

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

canoshiz posted:

Esports talk:

Last night, a Chinese esports organization announced the group stage for their 24-team CSGO tournament. There are only a few top teams present, due to the restriction that all members of each team must be from the same country as well as the qualifying events for this tournament conflicting with other major events. Here are the groups:

Some background: CSGO has regularly been dominated by European teams, with North American teams trailing a bit behind them. The best Chinese teams (TyLoo and VG.Cyberzen), at best, have one-off upset potential in best of 1 series against the top teams. Surprise surprise, Group A is stacked with the best European teams at the entire event (Virtus.Pro and EnVyUs) while the Chinese teams are spread out amongst the other extremely weak groups to ensure that the Chinese teams advance.

TLDR: China #1

So even if they don't get first place, they are pretty much going to snag 2nd and 3rd places? Is that the gist?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Top 3 from each group advance to the playoff bracket, so the Chinese teams are pretty much guaranteed to make it to that stage. They'll probably get favorable seeding as well. There's not a chance in hell that they'll win the entire thing, but they'll probably place in the top 8 or so.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
china to soon legalize same sex marriage???

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Could a mad scientist theoretically feed a panda a high protein, high energy diet to create a super-panda? Like what if you fed it lots of beans flavored with bamboo extract? Would you create a Kung Fu panda? Or would this just give the panda diabetes?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Escape Addict posted:

Could a mad scientist theoretically feed a panda a high protein, high energy diet to create a super-panda? Like what if you fed it lots of beans flavored with bamboo extract? Would you create a Kung Fu panda? Or would this just give the panda diabetes?

You'd get a panda that doesn't need to spend all day eating, so you'd get a panda that sleeps 22 hours a day.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

You'd get a panda that doesn't need to spend all day eating, so you'd get a panda that sleeps 22 hours a day.

So it is possible to make them even more Chinese

Interesting

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The best thing about the Chinese aircraft carrier to me is that it was originally a russian ship called the Varyag.

The Varyag was named after another Varyag that got (heroically) owned by the Japanese in 1904.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

A Google Maps review of Mount Kailash, one of the most important sites for Shaivism (in Hinduism), and claimed by China.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Is it me, or does this chick look like a photoshopped baby? I want to think it's a baby, but her other photos were the same.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Haier posted:

I am thoroughly grossed out, and I want that written on a cake with which I will send to her. A cake made out assorted poops.

Who is the Lena Dunham of China?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Blistex posted:

They know, the point of Liaoning is to serve as a testbed for future carriers. The Chinese have no intention of getting into a naval standoff with the US anytime soon.

Blistex posted:

The CCP. Trump is one guy saying whatever pops into his head instantly, and totally unfiltered. The CCP's statements and actions are the result of a massive organization going through committees and official channels before responding.

Nah Trump is way worse. The CCP is smart enough to know when it's bluffing, Trump gets all his foreign policy advice from a mixture of mentally ill ex-intel officers and cable news.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Who is the Lena Dunham of China?
I'm happy to report that Lena Dunham is a uniquely American phenomenon.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Ages ago I liked the garbage Chinese-Centurying blog Futurism on Facebook and now all I get are garbage Chinese-centurying news stories, full of comments from idiots convinced the Chinese century is upon us and the USA/Canada and Europe have fallen behind the new overlord of technology and imagination.

Anyway, this story came up about it. Apparently the last time a Chinese company claimed this:

https://3dprint.com/138664/huashang-tengda-3d-print-house/

quote:

Beijing-based HuaShang Tengda is a major competitor of fellow Chinese construction company WinSun, which we’ve followed in the past since they surprised us with their 3D printed homes, including a six-story apartment building and a mansion. Not long after that, WinSun’s reputation was tarnished by quite of bit of controversy when Dr. Berokh Khoshnevis, creator of the revolutionary Contour Crafting technique of 3D printing buildings, stated that the Shanghai company had blatantly stolen his patented technology and were passing it off as their own. Moreover, Dr. Khoshnevis said, WinSun’s claim that they were 3D printing entire homes was untrue; in fact, they were 3D printing small sections of walls and then cobbling them together on-site using other construction methods.

But apparently this company is true to their word!!!!!!!!!! The walls are 250cm thick on these ugly houses. It's a neat idea if it's true, but I don't see a price attached to the construction method.

Haier fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 27, 2016

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
The Hong Kong history reenactment event I was part of made it into the Grauniad! According to the comments on the article, I'm getting money from the cia and mi6. I wish I were, as it would help offset the cost of the uniform.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/27/hong-kong-history-battleground-beijing

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Haier posted:

The walls are 250cm thick on these ugly houses.

Are they expecting trebuchet attacks?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

peak debt posted:

Are they expecting trebuchet attacks?

They're actually just hollow cardboard filled with styrofoam and other assorted garbage.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

The Hong Kong history reenactment event I was part of made it into the Grauniad! According to the comments on the article, I'm getting money from the cia and mi6. I wish I were, as it would help offset the cost of the uniform.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/27/hong-kong-history-battleground-beijing
Thanks to you I read the comments and... ugh. Wumaos are the worst.

quote:

UK will never put up with the loss of their rich colony of Hong Kong. They will go on inciting separatist sentiments there and financing all local groups praising the clonial period and the "happy life" of natives under the British rule. The main focus of British special services' attention as usual is youngsters. I believe that Chinese will prove to be smarter than many other nations who were stupid enough to buy this bullshit from the West.

quote:

At last, the slips is showing, all this China bashings is to contain a growing power.

The English on many of these comments appear to be by people not from China. I don't get it. Is it just a "pride" circle-jerk for ethnic-Chinese who think loving this retarded country is an important part of their personal identity?

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Haier posted:

The walls are 250cm thick on these ugly houses. It's a neat idea if it's true, but I don't see a price attached to the construction method.

Jesus christ, no wonder it can sustain integrity during a 8.0 quake!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lazer Monkey posted:

Jesus christ, no wonder it can sustain integrity during a 8.0 quake!

Also it can't because it's unreinforced concrete and would probably fracture and collapse.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

Thanks to you I read the comments and... ugh. Wumaos are the worst.

The English on many of these comments appear to be by people not from China. I don't get it. Is it just a "pride" circle-jerk for ethnic-Chinese who think loving this retarded country is an important part of their personal identity?

There's companies specialized in this kind of agitation. A year ago there was an article about how a Russian one works. They have their best educated guys and girls work the quality papers. Their english is pretty good

Sometimes you can watch how they work. The NYT e.g. posts articles at midnight or in the early morning in the US and minutes later you have long and well argumented reader comments by the regulars. Ofc those aren't written ad hoc, but as the article about the Russian company stated, the star writers prepare a number of these issues ahead and then edit a few things. Naturally, the first ones to post get recommended alot, so you end up with these comments on top. They reach alot of people. When Crimea happened, it went really through the roof.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haier posted:

The walls are 250cm thick on these ugly houses.

Uh, are you sure that wasn't 25cm? At 250cm they'd be more than 8 feet thick. That would make installing windows really awkward.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

JaucheCharly posted:

There's companies specialized in this kind of agitation. A year ago there was an article about how a Russian one works. They have their best educated guys and girls work the quality papers. Their english is pretty good

Sometimes you can watch how they work. The NYT e.g. posts articles at midnight or in the early morning in the US and minutes later you have long and well argumented reader comments by the regulars. Ofc those aren't written ad hoc, but as the article about the Russian company stated, the star writers prepare a number of these issues ahead and then edit a few things. Naturally, the first ones to post get recommended alot, so you end up with these comments on top. They reach alot of people. When Crimea happened, it went really through the roof.

But would China really have such skilled trolls in their employ? From what I've heard Russia is far better at hacking and trolling than China is. China's strength is throwing a lot of bodies at the problem.

I think there is a good chance that many of the wumao in those comments sections are ethnic chinese who think they need to shill for the ccp in order to assert their identity.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nickmeister posted:

But would China really have such skilled trolls in their employ? From what I've heard Russia is far better at hacking and trolling than China is. China's strength is throwing a lot of bodies at the problem.

I think there is a good chance that many of the wumao in those comments sections are ethnic chinese who think they need to shill for the ccp in order to assert their identity.

:can:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

JaucheCharly posted:

This makes a lot of sense, and of course where "Wumao" comes from. At the same time, I feel like there are definitely some foreign-born Renes and Waynes that like to claim China's greatness while living nicely from the benefit of their Western lifestyle and passport.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Uh, are you sure that wasn't 25cm? At 250cm they'd be more than 8 feet thick. That would make installing windows really awkward.
Shoots, brah. I forgot to add the source link. I will edit, and add it here too.

quote:

The printing material itself is ordinary Class C30 concrete, an extremely tough, durable yet inexpensive material, and HuaShang Tengda states that any cement material can be used with the process, so that other construction firms can take advantage of what is locally available. Twenty tons of the concrete were used to print the 250cm-thick walls of the villa, and seismic testing showed that the structure should be capable of withstanding an earthquake as strong as 8 on the Richter scale – that’s a strength that has flattened cities.

Also, seeing Tengda, I keep mistaking it for Tenda, and it reminds me of Earthbound.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Wish it were a house by Tenga

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nationalism is a disease no matter the country. Some rivaly from sports team is fine, but taking it any further is idiotic. their wumao/troll are terrible at what they do as they are transparent as to what their agenda is from a combination for poor language use, going wildly off topic, laziness, having empty profiles, terrible names or proposing absurd courses of action like "Surely our comrades are smart enough to stuff ballot boxes" partially to induce outrage and again to waste people's time.

Haier posted:

Also, seeing Tengda, I keep mistaking it for Tenda, and it reminds me of Earthbound.

Pretty sure that is not how you earth quake proof a building. Something that stiff would effectively shatter internally. the rebar would keep it standing as the house is low to the ground but now the whole thing is condemned. If they wanted a nuclear bunker though that is a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That or it's more or less fictional and they intentionally wrote the article with metric knowing fat lazy westerners wouldn't bother converting it, but would see a large number and assume that while it's probably not that big, it's likely impressive.

• Locked thread