Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Waffleman_ posted:

To be fair, nobody has used cyber to mean that in like 10 years.

I sadly take off my wizard hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just saw an ad for Mafia III set to a hip hop track. Why even set your game in the 60s, or any defined time period, if your marketing team is just going to gently caress it up for you?

Related, was it Battlefield 1 that had a dubstep remix of Seven Nation Army in one trailer?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

My Lovely Horse posted:

Related, was it Battlefield 1 that had a dubstep remix of Seven Nation Army in one trailer?

Yes, which goes to show you how divorced marketing it from the game itself as the developers tried to advertise it as a a serious approach to WW1.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Yes, which goes to show you how divorced marketing it from the game itself as the developers tried to advertise it as a a serious approach to WW1.

You were expecting any different from Call of Battlefield?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just saw an ad for Mafia III set to a hip hop track. Why even set your game in the 60s, or any defined time period, if your marketing team is just going to gently caress it up for you?

A big thing about Mafia III is that it features a mixed heritage protagonist in a fictional equivalent of New Orleans. It's not going for a The Godfather vibe.

...and the main target audience is probably 15-30, so I'm not surprised they didn't have big band music as the soundtrack to the commercial.

quote:

Yes. Their current commercial uses Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings tho. You get Billy Corgan screaming "CAAAAAAAGGGGE" as the title of the game shows up. It's so dumb that it makes me chuckle every time.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Mierenneuker posted:

A big thing about Mafia III is that it features a mixed heritage protagonist in a fictional equivalent of New Orleans. It's not going for a The Godfather vibe.

...and the main target audience is probably 15-30, so I'm not surprised they didn't have big band music as the soundtrack to the commercial.

Yes. Their current commercial uses Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings tho. You get Billy Corgan screaming "CAAAAAAAGGGGE" as the title of the game shows up. It's so dumb that it makes me chuckle every time.

Smashing Pumpkins do scream sometimes but not in that song

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Ranma Fan Art posted:

Smashing Pumpkins do scream sometimes but not in that song

I'm guessing they're referring to this part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-r-V0uK4u0&t=204s

And now I'm going to have the song in my head for the rest of today.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hyperhazard posted:

I'm guessing they're referring to this part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-r-V0uK4u0&t=204s

And now I'm going to have the song in my head for the rest of today.

The world is a campfire

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I remember reading a study that proved that sex gets attention but is a terrible way to sell things. People seeing an advert with a sexy woman will remember the woman pretty well but tend to forget everything else.
Was this study made by a sexy woman because you seem pretty unsure of the details

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

dirksteadfast posted:

Saw my first commercial for Cracker Barrell over the weekend. There are no Cracker Barrells in this state. The channel wasn't even a standard channel for most hotel cable packages, so you can't even argue it's for the tourists when they head back home. I even had to go out of my way to find the nearest one, because the radius for the locator on their website doesn't stretch far enough.
I'm sorry your first commercial for Cracker Barrell got such limited play. I got all my top aunties praying that your next commercial will achieve greater market saturation.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Whatev posted:

Was this study made by a sexy woman because you seem pretty unsure of the details

Ayyy

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Counterpoint, using a song called '7 Nation Army' is a pretty awesome way to market a game about world wars.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

Saw my first commercial for Cracker Barrell over the weekend. There are no Cracker Barrells in this state. The channel wasn't even a standard channel for most hotel cable packages, so you can't even argue it's for the tourists when they head back home. I even had to go out of my way to find the nearest one, because the radius for the locator on their website doesn't stretch far enough.

As always, the reason is because national advertising is by volume cheaper than buying only in specific markets once you've stores in enough markets, and/or unless an ad agency's buying team is extremely on top of their poo poo and cares, a make good spot or two running in the wrong market is just not a priority problem.

Also, if you have access to file formats your local stations/cable company accepts with only a bare minimum of work you too can 15 second ad placements at 2am on your local networks for like, $10 or less.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

As always, the reason is because national advertising is by volume cheaper than buying only in specific markets once you've stores in enough markets, and/or unless an ad agency's buying team is extremely on top of their poo poo and cares, a make good spot or two running in the wrong market is just not a priority problem.

Also, if you have access to file formats your local stations/cable company accepts with only a bare minimum of work you too can 15 second ad placements at 2am on your local networks for like, $10 or less.

I've always wondered what advertising costs. You hear about the two million dollar spots during the Superbowl, but not really what it costs to put out regular ads at off-peak times.

I never have days off during the week so yesterday I got to watch daytime television for the first time in months. One channel skipped three regular 2 minute commercial breaks for one 6 minute mega-break for an infomercial. That was interesting I guess. If you DVR'ed it and were fast forwarding commercials you'd probably stop at multiple times just to see what the gently caress was taking this long.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've always wondered what advertising costs. You hear about the two million dollar spots during the Superbowl, but not really what it costs to put out regular ads at off-peak times.

If you call your local network asking for a TV rate card you can find out pretty much exactly what it costs, although how co-operative they are with you will vary quite a bit with big markets probably never responding and small markets thirsty for dollars. If the ad you are seeing is not leading into prime-time, prime-time, or post prime-time and you don't live in a top 50 DMA it probably didn't cost much. Pricing also doesn't scale smoothly, so the price of New York compared to LA is not strictly equivalent to the sizes of the markets compared to each other (typically the cost falls faster than the market is relative in size to another with some exceptions based on demographic bents like Texas) but it does scale.

If you live in a relatively small market, placing an add with your local TV networks or radio stations may be as easy as literally picking up the phone or emailing their rep. If you live somewhere truly remote you can likely buy an irritating amount of advertising since its not typically sold on a spot basis by rather a cumulative rating point which can be difficult to deliver against late at night. This is how you end up looking at the schedule for 3am re-runs of the Shield in a small market an hour and a half north of you and buying a spot which is nothing but a black and white text block spoiling the end of the series that played every night for a week. DVR through that!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Am I missing something here?

vvv Ah, I have not been paying attention to non-political news for a while vvv

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Dec 27, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Glazier posted:

Johhny Depp has been accused of beating up his wife.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

I'm going to guess it's because Johnny Depp supposedly has terrible body odor.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Johhny Depp has been accused of beating up his wife.

I thought it was because he claims to be some kind of Native American, and savage is kind of a slur for them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Perfume commercials are always incredibly pretentious, but Depp's "I'm going to the desert to be at peace w/nature also apparently I always wear Jack Sparrow make-up now" ad made me embarassed for him.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Perfume commercials are always incredibly pretentious, but Depp's "I'm going to the desert to be at peace w/nature also apparently I always wear Jack Sparrow make-up now" ad made me embarassed for him.

Doesn't he also take off all his lovely costume jewelry and bury it in a hole?

I hate perfume commercials in general but watching what looks like a dirty homeless guy grub around in the desert on a drug-fueled mind gently caress is not making me want to buy a scent.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

value-brand cereal posted:

I thought it was because he claims to be some kind of Native American, and savage is kind of a slur for them.

I thought it was the pretentious rear end misspelling of "savage."

That70sHeidi posted:

I hate perfume commercials in general

Everyone does, but how else are you supposed to advertise a fragrance on a medium where you can't smell it?

"It smells good, we promise!" is a lovely ad.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

WampaLord posted:

this just in: French is just English that's been misspelled

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

InediblePenguin posted:

this just in: French is just English that's been misspelled
French has been confirmed as the most pretentious language, just edging out Italian and, surprisingly, Khwe.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Just show a nose and smiling.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
It got fixed in a bunch of places.

Protip: don't make your advertising incredibly easy to deface to make it hilarious. I mean it's one letter away.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Everyone does, but how else are you supposed to advertise a fragrance on a medium where you can't smell it?

https://vimeo.com/180668935

"You'll experience uncontrolled body movements and will start shooting lasers from your fingertips"

canis minor has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Dec 27, 2016

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

jojoinnit posted:

Protip: don't make your advertising incredibly easy to deface to make it hilarious. I mean it's one letter away.

I passed a dumpster today with the company name "SWIPES" centered on the dumpster. It was very clear where they had painted over 2 letters before the company name. (**SWIPES, if I wasn't clear enough)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

canis minor posted:

https://vimeo.com/180668935

"You'll experience uncontrolled body movements and will start shooting lasers from your fingertips"

This is fantastic, it's like an alternate version of the Weapon of Choice music video.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I remembered when coca cola french had this thing where they print out random words on their cans and someone who didn't read french got offended because they got one that said retard.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

This is fantastic, it's like an alternate version of the Weapon of Choice music video.

Google the director ;)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

jojoinnit posted:

It got fixed in a bunch of places.

Famously Pac-Man was originally going to be called Puck-Man (because he looks like a hockey puck kinda sorta I guess?) until someone noticed that all it would take was a small amount of sharpie to make the game called something much more foul.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Famously Pac-Man was originally going to be called Puck-Man (because he looks like a hockey puck kinda sorta I guess?) until someone noticed that all it would take was a small amount of sharpie to make the game called something much more foul.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tired Moritz posted:

I remembered when coca cola french had this thing where they print out random words on their cans and someone who didn't read french got offended because they got one that said retard.

lmao

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

I think the intent is to make you aware that it exists. I haven't worn any kind of fragrance other than my own horrifying musk for at least a decade but you used to be able to go to places that sold perfume or cologne and get samples. At the very least they'll have a bottle you can get a sniff of to decide if you like it or not.

The real stupid move in marketing is colognes and soaps marketed toward men that market themselves as something that will get you laid. I think I've heard more women complain that Axe anything smells more like something died than anything good than had anything even remotely positive to say about it. The colognes I've had the misfortune of smelling that marketed themselves as a sexy musk that makes you smell so drat manly have generally smelled more like something you'd use to mark your territory to get other men to go away.

Except that they'll make women go away too because nobody wants to smell that foot stink garbage.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Lynx (Axe's name in some countries) was super popular at my high school, so whenever I smell it all I can think of is a boys PE class. That's not attractive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tired Moritz posted:

to be fair 'let's put random words on our cans' is a weird way to sync up with a campaign of putting random names on the cans.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Lynx (Axe's name in some countries) was super popular at my high school, so whenever I smell it all I can think of is a boys PE class. That's not attractive.

Unlilever doesn’t care if you find it attractive.

They use the idea of twenty‐somethings wearing it to sell it to middle‐schoolers.

Unilever knows that twenty‐somethings don’t actually buy it, but their middle‐school customers do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh, it's even better than that.