Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

WickedHate posted:

Merry Christmas Trek thread.

Poor Spock, losing his contact lens. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Astroman posted:

It's important to judge the early show in context though, not from the hindsight of modern tv storytelling. What seems like "dated and gimmicky" scifi stuff now was actually groundbreaking and very different at the time. Even if some of the plot tropes were well trod in the pulp magazines and novels of the previous 30 years, the vast mainstream of America's tv audience hadn't been exposed to them. The public was used to seeing stuff like "Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea", "Time Tunnel," and "My Favorite Martian." and "Lost in Space." There were also high concept anthologies that had scifi episodes like "Twilight Zone" and "Outer Limits." But there was nothing like Star Trek, which was serious adult drama in space in a continuous universe.

I agree, although calling TOS "serious adult drama" can be a bit of a stretch at times. It's just that people have so much more exposure to Scifi than they used to that stuff like evil clones and societies run by computers are pretty much bog standard so the more high concept episodes don't necessarily resonate with modern audiences that well, especially in the early episodes where there's often very little suspense beyond a central plot twist you can see coming a mile away. It didn't take them that long though to start nailing the character drama and moving to twistier, more mysterious plots and those episodes hold up much better (with some horrific exceptions in season 3, of course).

PS: Happy holidays to anyone who still follows such primitive superstitions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Duckbag posted:

PS: Happy holidays to anyone who still follows such primitive superstitions.

I find the one holiday quite sufficient :smug:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

WickedHate posted:

Merry Christmas Trek thread.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I wonder what they actually do to celebrate Federation Day.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Duckbag posted:

I wonder what they actually do to celebrate Federation Day.

It's like Fourth of July in America. It's anti-matter fireworks, they blow up small moons on the border, and there's at least one brawl on Qo'noS that started with someone drunk off his rear end on blood wine shouting UFP! UFP!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I bet there's a couple holidays like Kirk Day, where everyone bones, and certainly a First Contact Day and probably some Holidays relating to some other aliens cultures. I gotta say some of the Bajorian holidays looked like fun.

I always liked how they got Brock Peters as Sisko's dad, and didn't feel the need to explain why he was also Cartwright. Like "oh after the discgrace of the Admiral, his family changed their name, so Sisko is decended from of the biggest traitors in Federation history!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

There's only one holiday that matters in the Federation. :colbert:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Have we established exactly what day Picard Day falls on?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

June 16th.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheBigAristotle posted:

Have we established exactly what day Picard Day falls on?

This needs to be a stat Holiday like Christmas, asap.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

All the days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every day is Captain Picard day in my heart.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Every day is Captain Picard day in my heart.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner, folks.

e: although... maybe I owe MikeJF an apology:

http://www.treknews.net/2016/06/16/happy-captain-picard-day-4/

quote:

As Star Trek trivia buffs will know, June 16th is “Captain Picard Day.” Celebrated today, because of its equivalence to Stardate 47457.1, as mentioned in the Star Trek: The Next Generation seventh season episode “The Pegasus”.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

There's only one holiday that matters in the Federation. :colbert:

He's a role model.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WickedHate posted:

He's a role model.

I'm sure he is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I see I wasn't the only one who thought it.

https://twitter.com/nasawatch/status/813245336479289344

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
She's wearing the wrong emblem for science/medical

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
She's the queen, pretty sure she's command track, whatever happens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If she wants to get ahead, she needs to take chances, stand out in a crowd, get noticed.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think driving ambulances qualifies her as ops, not sciences.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dear Trek thread, does anybody have that wonderful "Welcome back Voyager, we've been fighting the Dominion war since you've been gone" handy? I actually need to repost it in another thread. Somebody just made a DS9 refrence.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

If she wants to get ahead, she needs to take chances, stand out in a crowd, get noticed.

This explains 2016. We're in the alternate timeline Q made to teach the Queen a valuable lesson!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Pakled posted:

I think driving ambulances qualifies her as ops, not sciences.

Plus she was a decent mechanic

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man I forgot how the second Enhanced episode goes off the rails. It seems like its going to be good, but Julian gets super creepy and possessive over Serena, as if because he fixed her, he deserves her love.

Though the next episode has this crazy series A plot, and a crazy silly B plot.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

In retrospect, it makes perfect sense that Bashir's only successful relationship is with a psychiatrist.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

twistedmentat posted:

Man I forgot how the second Enhanced episode goes off the rails. It seems like its going to be good, but Julian gets super creepy and possessive over Serena, as if because he fixed her, he deserves her love.

Though the next episode has this crazy series A plot, and a crazy silly B plot.

Was the idea for that episode that Bashir would make the same mistakes as his parents or what?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish they had gone the route that Serena had feelings for Jack, as it was a plot point the first time they were around. Although as I type this, there's somewhat of an icky "people with disabilities should stay with others like them" message there...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't like the whole "fixing the mentally ill" thing.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Please, come meet my brother with schizoaffective disorder. I would very much like him to be back to himself from 3-4 years ago.

A fairly cheap shot, I know, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to return someone to their happiest and healthiest state of mind.

It's just a shame DS9 turned it into wacky entertainment.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

As opposed to leaving them ill? In an ideal society, we should be able to fix the mentally ill, I don't see the issue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's offensive to Depressed culture.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

As opposed to leaving them ill? In an ideal society, we should be able to fix the mentally ill, I don't see the issue.

How can what Bashir's dad did be seen as anything other than the murder of a child and replacing him with a new one? Bashir flat out says so himself, which is why it's all the weirder he gloms he sees this girl as a broken machine he can tune up so she can be his space waifu.

On the other hand some would call me a hypocrite because I think deaf culture is super toxic and physical ailments are a completely different matter, but :shrug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

How can what Bashir's dad did be seen as anything other than the murder of a child and replacing him with a new one?

Oh, I didn't think we were talking about Bashir's augmenting, because that goes beyond "mentally ill" into full on physical issues with his mind not being developed enough.

If anything, Bashir had a "physical ailment."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Having known people with mental illness of various forms and severity I can't think of a single one who wouldn't immediately jump on a cure if such a thing existed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Let me put it this way. Personality and your mind are basically the same thing. There's a lot of stereotypes about autistic behavior and stuff, but there's legitimate reasons why, say, trains are so appealing to autistic people and autistic kids particularly. If you "cured" the autism of a young train enthusiast, would they still like trains? People are under the impression mental illness is like a giant rock strapped to someone's back, and that by taking the rock away they'll be the exact same person but more comfortable and able, but while some are like that(like depression), it's a broad area and the idea easily slips into fundamentally altering who a person is.

It's like if a person adopted a baby, but you for whatever reason time traveled to create an alternate timeline where the baby was adopted by someone else. When the two are eighteen they'd be the same person genetically, but still completely different people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yes, but autism has more downsides than "likes trains" and we want to cure those too. If curing the actual bad parts removes the train fascination, then I consider that a totally acceptable cost.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I have OCD cure pls halp.

But anyhow the whole augment thing seems to have fallen apart because it was inconsistent what it symbolized from one moment to the next.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I like the very first augment Bashir episode a lot, but I kind of have to cringe and look the other way every time it's brought up after that. Bashir rattling off odds like C-3PO is almost as bad as Dukat turning into a Pah-wraith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Space is doing their old boxing week marathon thing now that they apparently care about Star Trek again. Maybe they ran out of Castle reruns?