Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

VanSandman posted:

I really liked Triple rotation battles. Shame they don't see much use these days.

Triples and rotation were removed and probably aren't ever coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Rotation Battles were much more fun than Single and Double battles, and their removal is the biggest sin in Gen 7.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

They probably weren't removed because nobody liked them, but because the game can barely handle Double Battles as is; how would it work with six Pokemon out in the field? Exactly.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zore posted:

Triples and rotation were removed and probably aren't ever coming back.

They're coming back in Pokémon Stars, the Switch can handle them

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alxprit posted:

They probably weren't removed because nobody liked them, but because the game can barely handle Double Battles as is; how would it work with six Pokemon out in the field? Exactly.

Yeah, I think so too. The 3DS can barely handle Sun and Moon as-is, forcing even more models on-screen would probably end badly.

Triple and Rotation Battles are the Ice Climbers of Pokemon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaze Dragon posted:

Triple and Rotation Battles are the Ice Climbers of Pokemon.

They're coming back in Super Smash Bros 4.5, the Switch can handle them

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I have the following dudes bred/EV-trained/leveled to 50 for Super Singles Battle Tree. I keep getting stuck around the 38-40 mark and was hoping for some suggestions.

Metagross@Metagrossite
Clear Body--->Tough Claws
Jolly, 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 6 HP
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Agility

Garchomp@Garchompite/Yache Berry/Lum Berry/Rocky Helmet????
Rough Skin--->Sand Force (Ugh)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang/Poison Jab
- Swords Dance

Mimikyu@Life Orb/Focus Sash???
Disguise
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Tapu Koko@Life Orb
Electric Surge
Timid, 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Attack, 6 HP
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- U-Turn

Tapu Fini@Leftovers
Misty Surge
Timid, 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Attack, 6 HP
- Moon Blast
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Kartana@Focus Sash
Beast Boost
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Celesteela@Sitrus Berry
Beast Boost
Adamant, 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 6 HP
- Heavy Slam
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Autotomize

Tapu Koko is pretty amazing until I start hitting the mid 30s or so. I'd like to keep using him because he makes this slog so much faster. Celesteela may seem weird, and definitely not the standard set, but even without Nature or investment in EVs, she can tank a lot, and is actually pretty drat strong. She brings a lot of good immunities and resistances, and after a +Attack Beast Boost, she's hard to take down. Sitrus Berry + Acrobatics is self explanatory. Tapu Fini has been the least useful, but formed the third core of my most used team. She was basically there to soak up special attacks and Taunt has been surprisingly useful. I dropped her for Garchomp after I faced one too many Ferrothorns and felt like I really needed a Fire attack. Garchomp has been awesome, but honestly, I think Garchompite is useless in comparison to Life Orb or something else.

The others are brand new and haven't been used, but are available.

Honestly, I'm more than happy to breed up something new, but I'm just not sure what. I really want to keep using Koko, and I think Mega Metagross seems so scary that he deserves a spot on the team, but those two share some weaknesses and would require something outside of what I've already got prepared to really do well.

At this point, I'm frustrated enough that I might just do Metagross/Koko/Garchomp and go all in on offense and cross my fingers.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alxprit posted:

this and also no one liked them

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Reinanigans posted:

I have the following dudes bred/EV-trained/leveled to 50 for Super Singles Battle Tree. I keep getting stuck around the 38-40 mark and was hoping for some suggestions.
I only started doing Battle Tree last night (17 in Super Singles right now) but I went the Mimikyu starter route as I've seen it suggested in here and other places. I put Wide Lens on mine for Play Rough's 90% accuracy. Swords Dance to start then do as much damage as possible. My others are Modest Greninja with Waterium-Z and Jolly Lucario with Life Orb for all-out offense. Those may change as I can buy BP items now and am working on some other stuff.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

grilldos posted:

Trick: press down on an easy bean and then just drag the stylus over the rest of them.

Holy crap that's amazing! Makes it so much easier to collect the beans thanks!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

6v6 singles is the superior format that Arceus intended and anything else is just a gimmick. Gamefreak needs to bring it back in proper fashion. :colbert:

Also beat the elite four at last! Playing with xp share off I was actually a few levels below them so it ended up being a bit of a challenge - and post game is legit kicking my rear end, just got swept by that dude that has you collect zygardes. :argh: Would my best bet for leveling up be just doing the elite four again?

Final team:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Triples was my favourite format, so I am sad it's gone.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

they were a ridiculous clusterfuck and that was great

also you could do a team of mega ray, primal kyogre and primal groudon which was hilarious to see

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
6v6 battles as in your entire team fights would be cool and fun. Would also probably open new ideas on teambuilding.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dizz posted:

6v6 battles as in your entire team fights would be cool and fun. Would also probably open new ideas on teambuilding.

my idea would be to find a bucket to vomit in. it's my 3v3 idea but it works so hey

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Dizz posted:

Scarfed Thousand Arrows and 5 Earthquake users.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

a ghost and five explosions

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

six intimidators on each side

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hmm, wow, using 6 mons at once. Really makes me think. About how to most quickly escape this mortal prison.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

McDragon posted:

six intimidators on each side

Nah, Five Intimidators and a Contrary

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If a pokemon with a substitute up gets hit by a super effective attack, that doesn't proc weakness policy right?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Holy crap how do you deal with that water rotom in the battle tree? If I don't ohko it the fucker just sits behind left overs and substitute with evasion maxed out.

Edit: Unaware Clefable is my new best friend.

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 27, 2016

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Tired Moritz posted:

that's unfair considering doubles is the more fun game mode.

The doubles (and I assume the multi) will also give you the battle music and pose if you reach 50.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Would raising a Mandibuzz be worth it for taking on the Super Singles Battle Tree? Dark/Flying perfectly covers the weaknesses of Metagross+Garchomp, i.e. Dark/Ghost/Ground, plus it would give me a really tanky Pokémon, which is something I don't have on this team. A set with Toxic/Protect/Roost/Brave Bird @Leftovers sounds pretty good, or Toxic/Knock Off/Foul Play/Roost.

I'm worried that the buzzard sounds great on paper, but I'm overestimating how useful it is to cover weaknesses in the Battle Tree and focus on dishing out damage.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Would raising a Mandibuzz be worth it for taking on the Super Singles Battle Tree? Dark/Flying perfectly covers the weaknesses of Metagross+Garchomp, i.e. Dark/Ghost/Ground, plus it would give me a really tanky Pokémon, which is something I don't have on this team. A set with Toxic/Protect/Roost/Brave Bird @Leftovers sounds pretty good, or Toxic/Knock Off/Foul Play/Roost.

I'm worried that the buzzard sounds great on paper, but I'm overestimating how useful it is to cover weaknesses in the Battle Tree and focus on dishing out damage.

Mandibuzz packs a good amount of punch with Foul Play, not sure how useful it'd be mind since generally Mandibuzz is better as a defog support set.

I still say go for it since Mandibuzz is ace and won me over last gen.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

use marvel scale dragonite with lum berry and dragon dance/outrage. king of battle _____ singles

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

oddium posted:

use marvel scale dragonite with lum berry and dragon dance/outrage. king of battle _____ singles

I don't know who posted this originally, but 100% this. Earthquake and roost are my other two moves

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mef989 posted:

I don't know who posted this originally, but 100% this. Earthquake and roost are my other two moves

> tfw magnet rise klefki

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So how does Mega-Metagross/Marvel Scale Dragonite/Fluffy Bewear sound? All weaknesses are covered, and Bewear seems bulky as hell with Fluffy. Yay or nay?

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

So how does Mega-Metagross/Marvel Scale Dragonite/Fluffy Bewear sound? All weaknesses are covered, and Bewear seems bulky as hell with Fluffy. Yay or nay?

Bewear's physical defense is amazing- just be careful for those special attacks.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I wish Pokemon would not call for help. It makes battles take way longer.

I'm not looking for garbage shinies, I'm trying to finish the story so I can play pokemon

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

I wish Pokemon would not call for help. It makes battles take way longer.

I'm not looking for garbage shinies, I'm trying to finish the story so I can play pokemon

status effects are the answer you seek

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

oddium posted:

This plus
celesteela@leftovers
-heavy slam
-flamethrower
-leech seed
-protect

and alolan marowak@thick club
-shadow bone
-flare blitz
-earthquake
-toxic

was posted as a recommendation earlier itt and has gotten me the best battle facility results I've ever had in any gen by far.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

cancerianmoth posted:

status effects are the answer you seek

Will they not call for help if they're statused?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

cancerianmoth posted:

Bewear's physical defense is amazing- just be careful for those special attacks.

Would a Careful nature with max Special Defende be advisable? Maybe put the rest of the EVs in HP and Defense and then give it Bulk Up/Hammer Arm/Return/Shadow Claw with Leftovers?

sit on my Facebook posted:

was posted as a recommendation earlier itt and has gotten me the best battle facility results I've ever had in any gen by far.

What Natures/EVs?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 27, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Crosspeice posted:

Beating the Single Tree gets you the Kanto starter Mega stones, it's only 20 battles. Then beating the Super Singles with a 50 streak gets you a stamp, a new pose and the ability to choose the Battle Legend music normally. Then getting to 100 streak nets you a Lansat Berry and a 200 streak get you the Starf Berry. Getting a 50 streak in Super Doubles and Super Multi just gets you a stamp.

What? No, getting a 200 streak in any format gives you the rewards.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
You guys disappoint me if you think full team battles won't have wide guarders to prevent area attacks like that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ignite Memories posted:

Will they not call for help if they're statused?

Status effects reduce the chance of them calling for help, yes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dizz posted:

You guys disappoint me if you think full team battles won't have wide guarders to prevent area attacks like that.

6 tectonic rages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Improbable Lobster posted:

Status effects reduce the chance of them calling for help, yes.

Reduces it to zero, in fact.