Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

roymorrison posted:

and why is it like that lmao doesn't a dev post on here? maybe put a checkbox for "use regular sensitivity settings like every other shooter" please

here, use this 10 minute video to setup your xbox controller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAvZRQ_rx_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I'm only 20 odd points away from a rank up, lose one game 5-4 with 4 people where I've got 15 kills including an ace. I lose 123 points. I thought ranked had been adjusted since launch.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

afkmacro posted:

I'm only 20 odd points away from a rank up, lose one game 5-4 with 4 people where I've got 15 kills including an ace. I lose 123 points. I thought ranked had been adjusted since launch.

You shouldn't have lost to those people according to the ranking system. It's based on win-loss only, not performance.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You shouldn't have lost to those people according to the ranking system. It's based on win-loss only, not performance.
Thing is, the new system was specifically meant to prevent what has happened to him. As the number of games grows, point change for any outcome of any match proportionally decreases. With 20 points awarded for a run of the mill victory, the system should, according to all the developer communications, just subtract roughly the same amount. 10 or 30 - sure, but not 120.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That depends on his certainty. He didn't say how much he gains each win, only that he was 20 points away from the next rank. If he loses 120 points for that defeat, he probably gains a somewhat similar share for a victory. As MMR certainty increases through completing more ranked matches, that should go down to a less volatile level.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That depends on his certainty. He didn't say how much he gains each win, only that he was 20 points away from the next rank. If he loses 120 points for that defeat, he probably gains a somewhat similar share for a victory. As MMR certainty increases through completing more ranked matches, that should go down to a less volatile level.

I don't remember exactly but we had been on a winning streak, maybe 7 wins and the last one netted 52 or 53 points.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

gently caress me, I misread his post and thought he is getting 20 points for win. As he isn't, that's just the initial uncertainty, yes.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I've several times lost around 150-200 points a single game, and for the most part i gain 30-40 on a win. For me it mostly has happened when the opposing team was 1-2 silver/gold with 3-4 unranked/copper.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Does anyone know where the pack is or what it's called that lets you buy all the S1 operators? I'm sure I read in the last thread that it was out after the year 1 season pass was discontinued.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does anyone know where the pack is or what it's called that lets you buy all the S1 operators? I'm sure I read in the last thread that it was out after the year 1 season pass was discontinued.
Probably under digital content in the store.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I checked around and I think you can only get it bundled with the gold edition? If true that's stupid it should be normal dlc vov

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Legacy Operators bundle. I saw it in the in-game store, and almost picked it up but decided to hold out for a sale and give myself some time to get better with the core operators first.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It was the top of the list in bundles last i checked.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I've several times lost around 150-200 points a single game, and for the most part i gain 30-40 on a win. For me it mostly has happened when the opposing team was 1-2 silver/gold with 3-4 unranked/copper.

Yeah if you're heavily favored to win a game you will lose a lot of points if you don't.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah if you're heavily favored to win a game you will lose a lot of points if you don't.
But should you? Isn't the point of confidence range to understand when players just have a bad time?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sorry, I thought we were asking why it happened and not should it happen. No, it's incredibly stupid and the ranking system is still pretty busted.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Sorry, I thought we were asking why it happened and not should it happen. No, it's incredibly stupid and the ranking system is still pretty busted.
I would like to be surprised, but I'm not. Hard please fix before I get bored in other games.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Started playing this again (and picked up the Year 2 Season Pass) because everybody said it's mostly fixed now. So far I've been enjoying it, though maaan do I suck. Being rusty + being awful = KING OF THE BADS.

I did have one hilarious round last night though. I picked Frost because our team wasn't really using cameras enough to justify Valkyrie and we had most of the other basics covered. I ended up getting 4 kills out of 5 that round. I was watching this area where three doors enter to a stairwell and they droned me, so I backed up the stairs. Two of them blow one of the doors and I immediately kill one and wound the other before retreating up stairs. The wounded guy runs up and manages to kill me but hits the trap I was sitting near, so it ends up 2 on 1. In the middle of a sentence of the last guy on our team telling us how awful we were, both remaining enemies hit my other two bear traps simultaneously and die.

They never set foot on the lower levels of that map for the rest of the match, despite my repeated attempts to invite them back to "Peewee's Playhouse". :v:

My only (technical) issue I've had so far is that the hitbox on Capitao's bolts takes some getting used to. Trying to sneak them over a railing or around a corner is a baaaad idea. Loving the new fancy hats and stuff though, I used my bonus R6 dollars from the Season Pass to pick up a pirate hat for Blackbeard on the cheap.

Incidentally, nobody seems to take Blackbeard in the casual games I've played. Is he supposed to be bad? It seems like being able to poke windows and corners with relative safety is hugely useful. Or is it that the rifle shield is a crutch I shouldn't be using?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

But should you? Isn't the point of confidence range to understand when players just have a bad time?

yes, you should? regardless of your confidence the system is still supposed to determine your probability of winning and give you points based on it. why would a ranking system care if you had a 'bad time' or were outplayed?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Incidentally, nobody seems to take Blackbeard in the casual games I've played. Is he supposed to be bad? It seems like being able to poke windows and corners with relative safety is hugely useful. Or is it that the rifle shield is a crutch I shouldn't be using?

The shield took another nerf and only has 60 HP (per shield) now, as well as the aim down sight taking much longer. He's still good, but you can't just crutch behind the shield forever.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 27, 2016

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Zaodai posted:

They nerfed his shield so it dies in only 2-3 hits. So it gives you not that much protection in exchange for slowing your move and aim speed down noticably. Factor in the high economic cost of taking him instead of thermite, fuze, thatcher, sledge, ash, hibana, capitao, twitch, buck, montange, glaz or even loving IQ at this point and you don't see him much.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

drat. Seemed useful for letting me poke high risk windows/win a couple of trades. Guess I'll just take somebody with nades (or Capitao) and spit fire through them and GIT GUD.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

He'll still win in a straight up peak v. peak more often than not but he's pretty gimped in every other situation.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

His shield was already super vulnerable to high-ROF weapons at 120. 65 is just death. He's worthless 'cause his guns already blew and now he's extra hosed when he goes up against what are already the best guns in the game.

Glaz is way better than him now. Zero recoil + more damage. The headshot vulnerability isn't a big deal to anyone who was good who used Blackbeard.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 27, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Maybe they'll buff his guns since they were crap to make up for his bonkers shield

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I think they should revert the recoil nerf they did back in the last nerf. The lower HP shields seem to be fine though, it's what I expected him to be like when he was first announced. He'll still win around corners. People just don't play him right now because they were used to him being ridiculously overpowered.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I didn't play him pre nerf and im being blown away as him. The thing breaks in less than a second and it disorients me so I can't see where I'm being shot from. I'm not good enough at seeing black bumps in a mess of cover I think.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

yes, you should? regardless of your confidence the system is still supposed to determine your probability of winning and give you points based on it. why would a ranking system care if you had a 'bad time' or were outplayed?
Until system learns to distinguish 5v2 and 5v5 it should use confidence interval to enforce ranking loss, in my opinion. Even once (or if) that is sorted, it still is backwards that you get thrown a division down for a single loss - sample size of 1 is no grounds for making a serious decision.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I didn't play him pre nerf and im being blown away as him. The thing breaks in less than a second and it disorients me so I can't see where I'm being shot from. I'm not good enough at seeing black bumps in a mess of cover I think.
Let me tell you of the time when his shield was 15 times more durable, taking 8 operators worth of damage to break...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

just play ranked and have fun

if you're that serious about the pixel badge form a premade group of 5 experienced players in discord and play a couple games a couple nights in a row and watch your rank soar immediately back to platinum

like cs:go and other competitive cyber athlete fps games, siege is best played at the lowest ranks possible because that's where the players that spend more time watching youtube strategies than playing the actual game can be found and they are easily the most entertaining when they get on the mic with zero self-awareness.

Thief fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 27, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thief posted:

just play ranked and have fun

if you're that serious about the pixel badge form a premade group of 5 experienced players in discord and play a couple games a couple nights in a row and watch your rank soar immediately back to platinum
:lol: if you ever play solo.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it's really not that bad you shouldn't be dropping that many ranks due to continuous losses unless you are placed well above where you "should" be

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Solo queuing is still fun. I don't rely on others for amusement in a video game.

E: Oh soloing ranked is probably pretty dumb, but so is caring about video game ranks. :shrug:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The matchmaker is pretty good in this game in both. I get into matches within a minute usually and the players are for the most part willing to work as a team regardless of how good they are. They're also generally willing to dork around and try fun stuff like take 3 shields or rush spawn with tachanka's gun setup facing out the front door.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thief posted:

it's really not that bad you shouldn't be dropping that many ranks due to continuous losses unless you are placed well above where you "should" be
Well, I don't know what is happening with the loss points the guys above mention, that it's order of magnitude more than what they usually get for the win. Besides that, by division I meant movement inside rank, say Silver 3 to Silver 2, where the aforementioned 100-whatever points are the entire difference between two divisions.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Even once (or if) that is sorted, it still is backwards that you get thrown a division down for a single loss - sample size of 1 is no grounds for making a serious decision.

first of all, it's not a 'sample size of 1', because the only ranks that matter are the highest rank you get in a season, and the rank you end the season at, so the sample size is actually 'every game you play'.

also losing a rank isn't very serious at all and while people will swing around 3-4 ranks +/- what seems 'right' for them i very rarely encounter people who don't seem to be at least gravitating around where they should be.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:lol: if you ever play solo.

The best reason to play solo is so you have more people to blame for your losses that aren't you. :pseudo:

I've been playing exclusively solo since I came back, mostly because my friends that play were traveling for the holidays. I might look up goon teams when I start playing ranked, but for casual play solo has been working fine. You run into some humorous poo poo now and then and the points don't mean anything. Of course, you also get Fuze killing the hostage every round "for fun". It balances out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

first of all, it's not a 'sample size of 1', because the only ranks that matter are the highest rank you get in a season, and the rank you end the season at, so the sample size is actually 'every game you play'.

also losing a rank isn't very serious at all and while people will swing around 3-4 ranks +/- what seems 'right' for them i very rarely encounter people who don't seem to be at least gravitating around where they should be.
It is sample size of 1, since the moment your points swing significantly for a lost game, it is only that game that determines the swing, since otherwise you'd also be swinging upwards for the same extent as well. A normal system would, instead of this, just decrease certainty of the play rank upon an atypical loss, and let things play out from there.

I'm not saying rank change matters in the slightest, there's no need to have this obtuse circlejerk about it right now. The system is comprised of ranks, so they get to be mentioned, that's about it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'll leave it at this but decreasing certainty is a very bad idea and almost no ranking system that i know of does it.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'll leave it at this but decreasing certainty is a very bad idea and almost no ranking system that i know of does it.
Thing is, no successful competitive game ranking system under whatsoever any circumstance will give you -120 when you standard game gives you +20. Might as well just change player's point range from +-20 to +-21 for an evening instead of telling them to get a win streak of 6.

• Locked thread