Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mustached5thGrader posted:

What is the limit of unplayed games you've set for yourself before you're not allowed to buy more?

StashAugustine posted:

remember that goons get more victory points the more things they buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The number of games available on the market is not a designed component limitation, and so players are allowed to manufacture additional VP tokens from cereal boxes and inkjet clip art.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

snuff posted:

What's the threads opinion on Great Western Trail? Seems to be popping up a lot on best of '16 lists but not much discussion about it here.

I can't speak for the thread but I will quote my previously posted opinion at least.

theroachman posted:

Just finished a 4 hour game of Great Western Trail, 2 newbies and 2 players with some experience. I had fun but it was kind of long.

Some thoughts:
It is a point salad, non-blocking worker placement with deck building and limited interaction.
The amount of take that is low but not zero, feels like it's just right.
The iconography is fairly daunting at first, but after a few rounds things should become clear.
There are many possible strategies which are fun to explore. On top of that, some parts of the game (buildings) can be flipped to their advanced side so replay value is fairly high.

Word of warning though: As it is a point salad, it is very time consuming but not impossible to calculate everyone's score at all times. Technically, this knowledge gives a strategic advantage. If you have the type of player who would be tempted do this, don't play this game with them as it will take forever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm playing Cuba Libre against NPC factions. I'm gov. Just finished 2nd propaganda round. I'm getting loving smaaaaaaashed.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
My cousin gave me galaxy trucker. It's by the codenames guy so I have high hopes.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

attackmole posted:

The insert isn't great though. I have no idea what any of the compartments are for. There's not enough to separate all the hexes by colour (which would make life a lot easier), but if you cram all the hexes in the same into the same one it feels like there's too many spots for the rest of the pieces.

Throw the insert away and get colored bags cloth bags to hold the tiles.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Turtlicious posted:

Just watched a game of Red Dragon Inn.

R, T, A, S were all players

T gets huffy as poo poo because R and S start teaming up on her to knock her out

A starts to help T, but T just straight up loses.

R and S go feral and try to knock each other down.

A wins, no-one's happy.

Why are there games that are built around player elimination? Who finds that poo poo fun anymore?

I love Cave Evil which is player elimination, but you need to have the right group for it.

Red Dragon Inn just sucks as a game though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

CommaToes posted:

My cousin gave me galaxy trucker. It's by the codenames guy so I have high hopes.

Galaxy Truckers is amazing, stupid fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CommaToes posted:

Galaxy Trucker was my first Vlaada and informed my approach for the rest of his games. It's probably why I love his colorful video-gamey stuff over his heavier Mage Knight or Through the Ages.

Codenames is probably his #1 game as far as sales go so I'm curious how these newcomers approach his catalog.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

The following were added to the game collection this Christmas:

Cry Havoc - I saw some negative comments here in the past, but I really enjoyed the game the one time I got to play (a 2 player game with my 14 year old). What surprised me the most is how quick the game takes to play. Look forward to playing again.

Bohnanza - A favorite of mine for a while, finally got a copy. Introduced it to my wife and my 10 year old who loved it (he's very particular about games he likes).

Patchwork - My wife's new favorite game. Really enjoyable

6 Nimmt - Another favorite that I finally picked up

7 Wonders - Have wanted to own this one, so finally picked it up

Ticket to Ride: First Journey- Got this for my 6 year old. We played it three times in a row (each time with her decreasing in her asking for my help). Overall a hit.

Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters - Bought for family, didn't get a chance to play it yet

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 27, 2016

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CommaToes posted:

That game loving owns hard and is also the best

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

CommaToes posted:

It's funny how this is the reverse stance to that of many people in this thread when Codenames was announced, namely "What the hell, Vlaada is doing a party game?"

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

theroachman posted:

It's funny how this is the reverse stance to that of many people in this thread when Codenames was announced, namely "What the hell, Vlaada is doing a party game?"

Did people have a similar reaction when the thread found out about Pictomania?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Selecta84 posted:

https://twitter.com/UpliftAndrew/status/813519150601605121

So it looks like there will be an expansion for FfO featuring horses

:aaaaa:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

the panacea posted:

You guys were not kidding about the production value of Mechs vs Minions.
This definitely put things to a next level, even without considering the insane value.

Yeah, the pieces are pretty nice. We're up to mission 8? 9? now and honestly enjoying it more than I'd hoped. We've come across a few little mission-specific situations where we weren't sure how to proceed/had to assume a ruling as far as the enemy movement and actions but I expect that to get ironed out fairly quickly. There may already be answers on their FAQ, we just didn't take the time to look mid-game. I'm a little worried about its longevity but even if we just get the 11 games or whatever out of it, it'll frankly see more playtime than a lot of things we own. We've also just been playing the same two chars in pretty much every mission, so I wouldn't mind a new run with different chars and ideally more people. I'm curious to see what they do as far as expansion content, etc. down the road now.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Board game people, give me wisdom! My collection has a lot of heavy games, and I'm looking for something lighter, specifically of the worker placement variety. At the same time, I would like it to not be *too* simple. Prime example of something I consider too simple is Stone Age. Half the actions on the board are different shades of "collect X resource", and certain fields are just no-brainers, if you're early enough in the turn order that they're still open. Also the fact that dice are involved isn't encouraging. Lord of Waterdeep is considered "classical" by so many people, but it also has so many flaws people name whenever they talk about it. What other options do I have?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Viticulture may be up your alley, as it is on the light-to-medium side with a good theme.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Dancer posted:

Board game people, give me wisdom! My collection has a lot of heavy games, and I'm looking for something lighter, specifically of the worker placement variety. At the same time, I would like it to not be *too* simple. Prime example of something I consider too simple is Stone Age. Half the actions on the board are different shades of "collect X resource", and certain fields are just no-brainers, if you're early enough in the turn order that they're still open. Also the fact that dice are involved isn't encouraging. Lord of Waterdeep is considered "classical" by so many people, but it also has so many flaws people name whenever they talk about it. What other options do I have?

Agricola (especially family mode?) sounds like it hits the right mark. It's practically the step up from Stone Age. If you're willing to go "euro" and less worker placement, Castles of Burgundy is a pretty solid choice.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

the panacea posted:

You guys were not kidding about the production value of Mechs vs Minions.
This definitely put things to a next level, even without considering the insane value.

Yes, I found out they partnered with GameTrayz who designed the inserts, so it's no wonder why it's so good. I think the most impressive part was the slightly deeper recession in 1/3 of the slot for the pieces that bulge out of the legacy envelopes. It's such a small and meticulous thing you can't help but be impressed.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Dancer posted:

Keyflower is a great medium-weight worker placement game with more interactivity than your typical Euro. Every round you can use and bid on tiles using workers in one of three colors, but doing so locks that tile to that specific color for the round. You're also not restricted to only using tiles from your own village, you can use tiles belonging to any player.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

unpronounceable posted:

Did people have a similar reaction when the thread found out about Pictomania?

Pretty much.

Also, gonna plug VlaadaCon yet again because who wouldn't want to play Vlaada games for an entire day con? :v:

And yeah there's a Feast expansion coming supposedly this coming fall, Norway, with horses, more islands, more buildings, more actions (butchering?), there will NOT be new cards since "The base game came with plenty of cards for variety".

I'm excited. Gotta play more though.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dancer posted:

Lord of Waterdeep is considered "classical" by so many people, but it also has so many flaws people name whenever they talk about it. What other options do I have?

Curious what the usual flaws are considered to be? I've only played it once and liked it decently, but I have limited experience with worker placement games in particular.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Curious what the usual flaws are considered to be? I've only played it once and liked it decently, but I have limited experience with worker placement games in particular.

- Mandatory Quests. 'Take That!' mechanics are bad for a few reasons. The main reason it's bad here is that it requires to you take an action, which doesn't really help you catch up to the person you're tagging with the quest. You could use that Intrigue space to get resources for yourself instead of remaining stagnant.

- Hidden information. Hiding the Lords doesn't really do anything for the game. In fact, it's a real Feels Bad moment when you discover that you and another player are competing for the same quests while a third player gets his quests without competition. Guess who is winning that game with all other things equal?

I enjoy Lords, but it's not nearly as tight as it could be. Awesome insert though. IF it fit sleeved cards it'd be the best I've ever seen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, uh... 167 blind, with the weekly challenge. It turns out you maybe don't need a whole lot of blue when you've got all that gray.

I aggressively drew occupation cards because I figured the deck would be somehow helpful, but I think the real hero here was turn 1 Iceland, with a surprise assist from Bear Island, which I grabbed mostly for the ore bonus but figured I'd see what I could cram on there before Newfoundland flipped.

Raider tossed me a couple of runestones here and there when I was gunning for specific pieces, and provided a place to dump all the stone I got from Miner on the last round.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 27, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How is the Automata(?) solo play mode in Scythe? me and some friends are gonna be playing it in a week or two and I was thinking of playing it solo to learn the rules before taking it down.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Flipswitch posted:

How is the Automata(?) solo play mode in Scythe? me and some friends are gonna be playing it in a week or two and I was thinking of playing it solo to learn the rules before taking it down.

A little different to playing against real people, but it creates pressure and forces you to optimise like you would in a live game.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Viticulture is consensus A Good Game, right? I'm looking for a worker placement game that's kinda middle-of-the-road in terms of weight that will work OK with 2 players. Not getting Lords of Waterdeep (I like it but a friend owns it, and I have it on iOS), and Agricola and Caverna are probably too long/heavy for now (definitely want at least one of them eventually, not now).

I like Viticulture a lot, but if playing more with 2 I'd port over a rule from the solo mode to use the bonus spaces a little. That's just preference, it works fine as written. I think 4 is its best count, 3 is good but a bit too loose (every odd player adds spaces to the board).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The End posted:

A little different to playing against real people, but it creates pressure and forces you to optimise like you would in a live game.
Sweet, I don't play that many board games to be honest and I've been getting into this area of the gaming/trad games hobby for the past year so I was just hoping it wouldn't be overwhelming to learn, ya know?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Played my first game of A Feast for Odin today, we played 2 player.

I got 88 points and my friend got 49

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'm playing Cuba Libre against NPC factions. I'm gov. Just finished 2nd propaganda round. I'm getting loving smaaaaaaashed.

I can win maybe 60% of the time as Govt, only 30% as M26. My strategy as Govt is to gently caress over the syndies as much as possible, since the M26/DR bots usually won't take any action against them. I also like to hold Las Villas and La Habana while surgically striking insurgent havens in other provinces. Getting the events that boost the US Alliance is very important too. Easy, right? :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rumda posted:

Played my first game of A Feast for Odin today, we played 2 player.

I got 88 points and my friend got 49

I suspect the barrel and runestone were both placed on the last round, but remember the greens can't touch, top left of your home board.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

So if you get CNA like planned you will never buy another game again?

(partial games don't count :v:)

:siren: My friend has talked about splitting the cost and purchasing it. We're thinking the more expensive first edition because it has the huge map. He has a condo and is currently single with no plans on doing anything but moving up the ladder. So, we could get a couple hours of this thing going every Saturday and I will probably blog about it. Will likely only get 6 players to commit: our closest friends.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

silvergoose posted:

I suspect the barrel and runestone were both placed on the last round, but remember the greens can't touch, top left of your home board.

Greens can't touch orthogonally, to be precise. They can touch diagonally, however.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Are there any games that are both good and have a cheese theme?

Edit: Viticulture, but Basque cheese would probably be perfect, if something like that existed.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 28, 2016

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Flipswitch posted:

Sweet, I don't play that many board games to be honest and I've been getting into this area of the gaming/trad games hobby for the past year so I was just hoping it wouldn't be overwhelming to learn, ya know?

Scythe hits a good level of complexity for the newer gamer. It's got some complexity and mechanisms that you might see in other games, but doesn't do anything to overwhelming.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I can win maybe 60% of the time as Govt, only 30% as M26. My strategy as Govt is to gently caress over the syndies as much as possible, since the M26/DR bots usually won't take any action against them. I also like to hold Las Villas and La Habana while surgically striking insurgent havens in other provinces. Getting the events that boost the US Alliance is very important too. Easy, right? :v:

I don't know what my strategy was. It was to not lose. Then I lost.

Basically the bots just smashed the ever loving gently caress out of Havana + kidnappings on turn 1, and then I hit a turn 3 propaganda card, so I immediately got my aid and resources hosed up hard before I got a chance at cheap actions. Late game I spent quite a lot of time sitting out actions just to get enough resource to do something. DR ended up taking a margin victory because M26 got caught in a quite strange logic loop that left it terrorizing Las Villas and sucking my resources via kidnapping for quite a bit longer than it should have. M26 had shitloads of resources but did very little to spend it while DR just kept rallying.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I don't know what my strategy was. It was to not lose. Then I lost.

Basically the bots just smashed the ever loving gently caress out of Havana + kidnappings on turn 1, and then I hit a turn 3 propaganda card, so I immediately got my aid and resources hosed up hard before I got a chance at cheap actions. Late game I spent quite a lot of time sitting out actions just to get enough resource to do something. DR ended up taking a margin victory because M26 got caught in a quite strange logic loop that left it terrorizing Las Villas and sucking my resources via kidnapping for quite a bit longer than it should have. M26 had shitloads of resources but did very little to spend it while DR just kept rallying.

M26 kept terrorizing even after the province was at Active Opposition? I haven't had that happen but I have heard the bots can get stuck in loops - especially once you catch on and start tayloring your Ops to get the best response from the bots. Note that M26 can't kidnap in LV if there's no open casino present.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
New Angeles Trip Report:

It's pretty good!

The federalist (traitor) ended up winning the game due to the rest of us not taking care of disease sweeping the city, and at the end of the final turn a chain of them increased the threat enough that it tipped over 25. It was our own fault for not taking care of it earlier, though.

The objective cards worked really well in a semi-co-op context. Having a single opponent to beat meant that if you were ahead of them, you could focus on making sure demands were fulfilled and problems in the city were taken care of, and if you were behind them, you could focus on improving your own standing. It's a simple and effective way to ensure a level of shifting cooperation and competitiveness that's vastly better than any I've seen before, such as those seen in games like Dead of Winter or Archipelago, and allows you to feel completely fine about giving advantages to every other player around the table except for the one who is your opponent.

The investment cards, that give players money based on the board state, ended up being fairly swingy, but I think that this is actually completely fine in the context of the game - you know what your investment card will do at the end of the round, and can hazard a guess at how much money you will make from it; sometimes this will mean that you will make tons of money for doing nothing, but that means you can focus your attention on making sure the city isn't going under. There is a cap of 6 or 7 points that a player can make from any investment card, so you can account for the most money your opponent can make too. Sometimes the investment cards mean that you want to tank any attempts to clear obvious threats to the board, which made for some highly entertaining plays as an assumed safe play in the interest of the city is swung at the last moment.

The game gets very bogged down in negotiations and speculating, unfortunately. This will probably speed up in future plays but I think there needs to be a timer for each player - maybe 30 seconds for each player that isn't the active player to make decisions - as our game just ended up going for hours on end.

We had a lot of amazing revelatory moments, but once we knew who the federalist was, they were more or less out of the game and could only really try to throw a spanner in the works using edge-case game mechanisms. This only happened in the final round (out of six) but to have to spend a good chunk of the game unable to influence much is draining to that player. All traitor games suffer a degree of this however, but as the players, we really should have sped it along but instead were locked in discussion on how to optimise each of our offers and counter-offers and lock out the federalist while making the city as secure as possible. More experience in playing will probably speed up this process though, and the federalist won in the end anyway.

We enjoyed it a lot and I think all of us are really keen to play it again - I know I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Johnny Truant posted:

Merry krimbus thread! :greatgift: Here's the first Weekly AFfO Solo Challenge! I'm still phone posting, so apologies if this is stupidly formatted. Also I'm just winging the little backstory, so, yeah :sax:

137 blind

I don't think I was as efficient as possible early on, and I have a feeling that it might be possible to explore 3 islands with this setup.

Edit: Just saw Glazius a few posts up absolutely demolishing this. I shall go now to drink ale in shame.

Big McHuge fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 28, 2016